UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Strength Conditioning
SunDogII Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Jacksonville St
Strength Conditioning
Someone needs to seek these people out and ask for advice.
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.s...n_rus.html
12-12-2013 08:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: Strength Conditioning
(12-12-2013 08:34 AM)SunDogII Wrote:  Someone needs to seek these people out and ask for advice.

That is pretty impressive, for sure. Another good one is Jack Eyer (http://www.coacheyer.com), and he is already in Birmingham. You might not could lure the top AU guy, but you could probably get the main assistant, who knows their system well.
12-12-2013 09:09 AM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
(12-12-2013 08:34 AM)SunDogII Wrote:  Someone needs to seek these people out and ask for advice.

From what i gather from the article about coach russell and coach chandler workout style is very similar. They push the tempo in the workouts. There is very little rests between sets.

The article states that auburn had very little soft tissue injuries. our offensive line didn't have soft tissue injuries it was mostly bone tendon/ligament issues.
12-12-2013 09:13 AM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

Another thing about AU, I absolutely love that offensive system he is using. .......a GREAT rushing attack. Same plays over and over.....triple-option/old school stuff ran out of the shotgun. With the RB's/TE's and OL UAB has, we would have an awesome offense running that (if we could find a couple of fleet footed QB's). Some games AU attempts 5 or 6 passes, and when they do, somebody is usually wide open.
12-12-2013 09:15 AM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

(12-12-2013 09:15 AM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  Another thing about AU, I absolutely love that offensive system he is using. .......a GREAT rushing attack. Same plays over and over.....triple-option/old school stuff ran out of the shotgun. With the RB's/TE's and OL UAB has, we would have an awesome offense running that (if we could find a couple of fleet footed QB's). Some games AU attempts 5 or 6 passes, and when they do, somebody is usually wide open.

Funny thing is last time we ran a offense like that it was ridiculed by most the fans as QB Draws.

The Helton offense of the first three years and auburn's is very similar. Their were some differences but a lot of the formations and run schemes are the same.
12-12-2013 09:19 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
We're breaking bones. I'd say we need to drink our milk.
12-12-2013 09:25 AM
Advertisement

BlazingHoosier Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(12-12-2013 09:13 AM)DragonLair Wrote:  

From what i gather from the article about coach russell and coach chandler workout style is very similar. They push the tempo in the workouts. There is very little rests between sets.

The article states that auburn had very little soft tissue injuries. our offensive line didn't have soft tissue injuries it was mostly bone tendon/ligament issues.
Tendon and ligament injuries are soft tissue injuries
12-12-2013 09:58 AM
SunDogII Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Jacksonville St
My point in this is simple. What UAB is currently doing is not working. Why not call up Auburn (or any other successful program), and ask if our coach can watch and discuss with them what they're doing. It's not like UAB is a threat to Auburn, so learn from them.
12-12-2013 10:42 AM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
Egos here are too big for that.
12-12-2013 10:56 AM
rook360 Offline
All American

(12-12-2013 10:56 AM)Uncle BLAZER Wrote:  Egos here are too big for that.

On Blazertalk or the coaching staff???
12-12-2013 10:57 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-12-2013 10:57 AM)rook360 Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 10:56 AM)Uncle BLAZER Wrote:  Egos here are too big for that.

On Blazertalk or the coaching staff???

Yes?
12-12-2013 11:12 AM
Advertisement

UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB_ASDD
[quote='Uncle BLAZER' pid='10163384' dateline='1386863762']
Egos here are too big for that.
[/quote
]

Coaches visit and gather information from other staffs all the time.
12-12-2013 11:13 AM
82blazer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
My thoughts on the injuries

-overtraining (very little break to recover) Season-Winter workouts-spring training-summer workouts-fall practice.
-younger players being forced to play that physically may not have been ready. Most high schools do not have the resources for proper training
-as mentioned not a lot of soft tissue injuries so i don't think improper training is to blame like under Callaway with all the sports hernia's (direct result of improper training)
-Bad luck - article on Missouri with all of their injuries last year and virtually no injuries this year. Did not appear that they revamped their S&C program, just kept pushing on.

As mentioned, coaches share information all of the time. We probably won't have an article saying UAB studying Auburn's S&C program but that doesn't mean we haven't looked into it.
12-12-2013 11:41 AM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

(12-12-2013 09:58 AM)BlazingHoosier Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 09:13 AM)DragonLair Wrote:  

Tendon and ligament injuries are soft tissue injuries

Nope your right, I was thinking soft tissue is muscle problem/sprains tears. My bad.
12-12-2013 01:30 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Has there been any correlation between "soft tissue" injuries sustained by freshmen and sophomore players at UAB and their high school training/conditioning resources? Hoover, Vestavia, Hueytown, Clay-Chalkville, Gardendale and other relatively well supported suburban programs may have much superior "resources" to those of more distinctly rural or inner city districts where state funding has declined the most since the 2008 fiscal year and there is little or no local funding to fill in the gap.

As the state's two BCS class programs rely more and more on "impact" athletes from the better funded schools in other states (many because of gaming income), UAB and the other state universities may by default become the main recruiters of these marginal high school program's athletes and thusly become heir to their greater chance of certain types of injuries. Only time will tell how such conditions work out for these "2nd tier" state programs.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 02:21 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
12-12-2013 02:18 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Yep, time will tell what will happen when UAB is forced to recruit less talented high school players.
12-12-2013 02:30 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Every program has its share of players from the inner city and the sticks.

Every damn one of them. Okay, maybe not BYU, but everybody else. 03-lol
12-12-2013 02:52 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

Strength Conditioning
Google Oregon's S&C coach and read one of the articles on his program for offensive linemen (ESPNtheMag did one). He actually trims weight off guys when they arrive from high school and regularly takes 5.0+ 40-yd dash guys down to the 4.7 range before they start. Really unique approach to S&C that fits their system perfectly (lots of no-huddle, zone blocking with the goal to wear the opposing defense down by the 4th quarter).
12-13-2013 08:31 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(12-12-2013 02:52 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Every program has its share of players from the inner city and the sticks.

Every damn one of them. Okay, maybe not BYU, but everybody else. 03-lol

We will know the "final score" on that issue after the 2/5/14 results are in. We will then know which instate HS programs attracted the most attention from our various instate college programs as well as out of state schools.

AND, BTW, I did not say "less talented" but I did venture that they may be "not as well physically conditioned" because of the declining funding of their HS programs over the last decade.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 01:15 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
12-14-2013 05:09 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

Interesting article on Stanford's successful approach to strength training and conditioning.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Sta...to-5651746

On the flip side, Cal Berkley had nothing but injuries this season.

More on Shannon Turley, the NSCA coach of the year, and changing culture:

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2013/11/20/...-the-year/

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2013/04/22/...-it-rains/

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2013/04/24/...different/

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2013/04/26/...he-master/
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2013 12:13 AM by KevMo4UAB.)
12-28-2013 11:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.