UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Birmingham CrossPlex awarded 11 NCAA championships over four years beginning in 2015
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Birmingham CrossPlex awarded 11 NCAA championships over four years beginning in 2015
12-11-2013 09:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Birmingham CrossPlex awarded 11 NCAA championships over four years beginning in 2015
I am delighted at this news. Any area of a particular demographic can be altered over time by consistent input of developmental capital. If you had been around before 1969 to see the area now dominated by UAB's undergrad buildings, you might have thought "Why would anyone build a state university here?" The same potential for change is present in the city's western section just as it was on the city's southside.

The UAB development was not a task of one year or one decade. It took a lot of time and so will any change elsewhere in the city, but it has to start with something good and pursued consistently ever after. Will "Five Points West" someday reach the status of today's "Five Points South"? I can't tell yet, but the potential is there for something special if positive change is pursued.

Check the building dates on those nice motels and food outlets around UAB and you will find all of them to be fairly recent in age.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 12:54 AM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
12-15-2013 12:49 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Birmingham CrossPlex awarded 11 NCAA championships over four years beginning in 2015
(12-12-2013 10:41 AM)legalblazer Wrote:  And now West Birmingham is saved!!!

The mall will come back, and the skating rink where my parents met, and the theater where I saw Star Wars, and the Zayres where I got my first bike, and the Birmingham International Raceway....

Oh wait.

Seriously, good for them, but the attendees are just going to see a fantastic facility right in the middle of blight that they have to drive 8 miles away from to find a place to stay.

It's not going to get turned around in a day. If every area that is blighted and run down is abandoned forever and no hope of ever turning it around, then we might as well just give up on everything.

You should see some pictures of how bad the area UAB now occupies was before UAB existed.
12-15-2013 08:42 PM
stc Offline
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

I Root For: UAB!!!
(12-15-2013 08:42 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 10:41 AM)legalblazer Wrote:  And now West Birmingham is saved!!!

The mall will come back, and the skating rink where my parents met, and the theater where I saw Star Wars, and the Zayres where I got my first bike, and the Birmingham International Raceway....

Oh wait.

Seriously, good for them, but the attendees are just going to see a fantastic facility right in the middle of blight that they have to drive 8 miles away from to find a place to stay.

It's not going to get turned around in a day. If every area that is blighted and run down is abandoned forever and no hope of ever turning it around, then we might as well just give up on everything.

You should see some pictures of how bad the area UAB now occupies was before UAB existed.

Easy mixeduptransistor, your speaking facts. Some people don't like that. Kidding aside this is great news for the city.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 10:30 PM by stc.)
12-15-2013 10:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
Im hearing nothing but positives about the Birimingham Crossplex, from what I'm hearing its bringing a lot of events to Birmingham.04-bow
12-16-2013 09:07 AM
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(12-16-2013 09:07 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  Im hearing nothing but positives about the Birimingham Crossplex, from what I'm hearing its bringing a lot of events to Birmingham.04-bow

It's an amazing facility, and the city of Birmingham is trying hard to bring in a few shopping options/restaurants and maybe a motel close by.
12-16-2013 09:35 AM
legalblazer Offline
1st String

[/quote]
(12-15-2013 10:12 PM)stc Wrote:  Easy mixeduptransistor, your speaking facts. Some people don't like that. Kidding aside this is great news for the city.

[Must resist poking fun of grammar... must resist...]

Would you like to point out to me what part of this is non-factual?

Quote:Seriously, good for them, but the attendees are just going to see a fantastic facility right in the middle of blight that they have to drive 8 miles away from to find a place to stay.

I grew up right around the corner and graduated from high school almost right across the street. I visited the area when I was there for Thanksgiving. It's as bad as it has ever been. I admit that it is a fantastic facility (as I did in my previous post), but they have essentially recreated the Legion Field experience (a mere few miles away at that) .... go in for the event and then get out of there as soon as it is over.

I have very serious doubts that anything placed there is, on its own, going to turn the area around. The putt putt course didn't. Go karts didn't. Bumper boats didn't. The previous arena upgrade (very nice as well) didn't. Before that I'm pretty sure exhibit halls were added (in the 80s?) - those didn't. I don't expect this to make much of an impact either. People will come for the great venue/event and then drive back to their hotel somewhere else in town to spend their money. Then they will go back to their respective cities and talk about how Birmingham is really scary. Is that really the part of town Birmingham wants to show out of towners that they hope will evangelize for the city and return one day?

I don't have a problem with cities that already have established venues, facilities, and conference centers trying hail mary passes to revitalize an area - especially that one. I grew up there for pete's sake.

It's just that Birmingham doesn't have that particular luxury right now. It can't afford to make an investment like that and see it fail. Birmingham only has so many arrows and it should be shooting them at big fat deer... not squirrels. Build this downtown (near the "entertainment district" for example) and you might see a real transformation of the area. Where they put it... it's most likely going to remain an island in a sad sea. And then, yet again, you've given another examples to the naysayers that Birmingham is a bad investment.

It's located there because it was an obstinate (and felonious) mayor's pet project. Multiple times he forced investments on the West side of town just because it was the West side of town.... not because it was otherwise a good decision. How did those turn out?

That area will turn around when downtown Birmingham turns around and that advances west down the 3rd Avenue corridor. A lone facility is not going to do it.

And drawing parallels between this and UAB is a red herring. What does a university campus and a sports venue have in common - not much. For example, how well did the area around Atlanta Fulton County Stadium or Turner Field turn around with a major league baseball team as its tenant, playing 50+ games a year there? Or closer to home... compare Legion Field to Birmingham Southern. Which one held the line and which one was assimilated into the malaise of the area? I agree - UAB has been and will be transformative to Birmingham. Build on that... put this facility near UAB - say George Ward park. Not Five Points West.

It was a bad call.... and if you are smart, deep down you know I'm right. It's there, it's built, it's done - so it should be supported... I get that. You go get 'em. Fight the good fight. If I have the occasion, I'll go to an event there ... it's not like I'm afraid. I'm just not drinking the Kool-Aid about this building making much a difference. You can only drink so much before you get sick of it.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 10:53 AM by legalblazer.)
12-16-2013 10:52 AM
uab blazer 01 Offline
1st String

Everytime something is built downtown even if its great and positive for all of Birmingham all of the councilors from east west north and south holler about focusing only on downtown.

While it would be much better to build it downtown it probably was impossible after it was slated to be on the westside by the previous mayor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12-16-2013 10:59 AM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB_ASDD
(12-15-2013 10:12 PM)stc Wrote:  Easy mixeduptransistor, your speaking facts. Some people don't like that. Kidding aside this is great news for the city.

[Must resist poking fun of grammar... must resist...]

Would you like to point out to me what part of this is non-factual?

Quote:Seriously, good for them, but the attendees are just going to see a fantastic facility right in the middle of blight that they have to drive 8 miles away from to find a place to stay.

I grew up right around the corner and graduated from high school almost right across the street. I visited the area when I was there for Thanksgiving. It's as bad as it has ever been. I admit that it is a fantastic facility (as I did in my previous post), but they have essentially recreated the Legion Field experience (a mere few miles away at that) .... go in for the event and then get out of there as soon as it is over.

I have very serious doubts that anything placed there is, on its own, going to turn the area around. The putt putt course didn't. Go karts didn't. Bumper boats didn't. The previous arena upgrade (very nice as well) didn't. Before that I'm pretty sure exhibit halls were added (in the 80s?) - those didn't. I don't expect this to make much of an impact either. People will come for the great venue/event and then drive back to their hotel somewhere else in town to spend their money. Then they will go back to their respective cities and talk about how Birmingham is really scary. Is that really the part of town Birmingham wants to show out of towners that they hope will evangelize for the city and return one day?

I don't have a problem with cities that already have established venues, facilities, and conference centers trying hail mary passes to revitalize an area - especially that one. I grew up there for pete's sake.

It's just that Birmingham doesn't have that particular luxury right now. It can't afford to make an investment like that and see it fail. Birmingham only has so many arrows and it should be shooting them at big fat deer... not squirrels. Build this downtown (near the "entertainment district" for example) and you might see a real transformation of the area. Where they put it... it's most likely going to remain an island in a sad sea. And then, yet again, you've given another examples to the naysayers that Birmingham is a bad investment.

It's located there because it was an obstinate (and felonious) mayor's pet project. Multiple times he forced investments on the West side of town just because it was the West side of town.... not because it was otherwise a good decision. How did those turn out?

That area will turn around when downtown Birmingham turns around and that advances west down the 3rd Avenue corridor. A lone facility is not going to do it.

And drawing parallels between this and UAB is a red herring. What does a university campus and a sports venue have in common - not much. For example, how well did the area around Atlanta Fulton County Stadium or Turner Field turn around with a major league baseball team as its tenant, playing 50+ games a year there? Or closer to home... compare Legion Field to Birmingham Southern. Which one held the line and which one was assimilated into the malaise of the area? I agree - UAB has been and will be transformative to Birmingham. Build on that... put this facility near UAB - say George Ward park. Not Five Points West.

It was a bad call.... and if you are smart, deep down you know I'm right. It's there, it's built, it's done - so it should be supported... I get that. You go get 'em. Fight the good fight. If I have the occasion, I'll go to an event there ... it's not like I'm afraid. I'm just not drinking the Kool-Aid about this building making much a difference. You can only drink so much before you get sick of it.
[/quote]

The recognition, the events, and the awards they have received points towards success. The previous attendees have raved about the facility and their experience, which is why more events are being won. The good ole days aren't coming back but that doesn't mean the best days aren't ahead. The have been several articles about the recruitment efforts by the city to attract businesses to that area. They discussed how the city wants to be strategic in how the area is developed and they are studying other redeveloped cities. City officials also acknowledged past failures by the city and a need to avoid similar mistakes and the need to have a comprehensive long term approach. But it easier to predict failure when you don't have the ability visualize the future because your so busy looking at the past.

The defeat of MAPS set Birmingham back 20 years, if there isn't progress their must regress because stagnation is impossible. I commend the leaders I'm Birmingham, the railroad park, the baseball stadium, and the Crossplex are all great additions. All had naysayers and predictions of doom but they are thriving, bringing positive national attention. Did that happen back in the good ole days? Seems to be a new day in the Ham, some magic back in the city.
12-16-2013 11:31 AM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
From tiny acorns grow mighty oaks. The Crossplex may just be the "acorn" for the western section if continued nourishment is consistently provided. Just as UAB did not build just one building and express completion, one building won't be enough to renew any other region. The UAB of 1969 is not the UAB of 2013 and the changes were not immediate or overnight. That is the main lesson of investing in areas. (If "what was then" is "what it will always be" is legitimate, then Legion Field will always be a great venue for UAB FB)
12-16-2013 02:13 PM
legalblazer Offline
1st String

(12-16-2013 02:13 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  From tiny acorns grow mighty oaks. The Crossplex may just be the "acorn" for the western section if continued nourishment is consistently provided. Just as UAB did not build just one building and express completion, one building won't be enough to renew any other region. The UAB of 1969 is not the UAB of 2013 and the changes were not immediate or overnight. That is the main lesson of investing in areas. (If "what was then" is "what it will always be" is legitimate, then Legion Field will always be a great venue for UAB FB)

Platitudes are wonderful things upon which to spend other people's money. There were once great oaks there... Legion Field, Rickwood Field, Fairground Raceway/Grandstands/BIR, Kiddieland, Five Points West Shopping Center, Central Park Baptist Church, Hunter Street Baptist Church, etc. and the surroundings engulfed them with craptitude.

What you wrote doesn't even make sense... No.... actually, you are right... Since you make such a good point... If UAB does get the go ahead for its own stadium, Legion Field should be demolished and UAB's new stadium should be built right in its place. It could completely revitalize the area. Just think of the possibilities!!!!

After all, from tiny acorns grow mighty oaks (as do saplings that get eaten by goats).
12-16-2013 02:59 PM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

(12-16-2013 02:59 PM)legalblazer Wrote:  
(12-16-2013 02:13 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  From tiny acorns grow mighty oaks. The Crossplex may just be the "acorn" for the western section if continued nourishment is consistently provided. Just as UAB did not build just one building and express completion, one building won't be enough to renew any other region. The UAB of 1969 is not the UAB of 2013 and the changes were not immediate or overnight. That is the main lesson of investing in areas. (If "what was then" is "what it will always be" is legitimate, then Legion Field will always be a great venue for UAB FB)

Platitudes are wonderful things upon which to spend other people's money. There were once great oaks there... Legion Field, Rickwood Field, Fairground Raceway/Grandstands/BIR, Kiddieland, Five Points West Shopping Center, Central Park Baptist Church, Hunter Street Baptist Church, etc. and the surroundings engulfed them with craptitude.

What you wrote doesn't even make sense... No.... actually, you are right... Since you make such a good point... If UAB does get the go ahead for its own stadium, Legion Field should be demolished and UAB's new stadium should be built right in its place. It could completely revitalize the area. Just think of the possibilities!!!!

After all, from tiny acorns grow mighty oaks (as do saplings that get eaten by goats).

Why such disdain and hate for Birmingham, what has it done to you?
12-16-2013 03:07 PM
legalblazer Offline
1st String

(12-16-2013 03:07 PM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  Why such disdain and hate for Birmingham, what has it done to you?

Why the inability to have a discussion about 1 particular facet of one particular issue without labeling me a "h8tr"?

I'm about as a rah rah Birmingham person that you will find. I'm pointing out a bad decision that was made similar to many others over the years that got Birmingham where it is. It pains me when the leaders of the city make half cocked, dim witted mistakes, multi-million dollar mistakes. Especially when they have made the same one before multiple times.

Without those, perhaps the area voters might trust them to do something worthwhile with tax payer money. For example, maybe MAPS would have passed.

My points are:
1) This should not have been built where it was built.
2) However successful it might end up being, it would have been more so in a better location that did not handicap it.
3) I hope it does well, but see points 1 and 2.

Here are the two closest overnight accommodations. Proper infrastructure in place to support tourists? I think not.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=1...0276&fid=5

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=S...tile&fid=5
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 03:19 PM by legalblazer.)
12-16-2013 03:18 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

^^^^^

The MAPS plan was good in theory, however the people that would be running it were corrupt and all of the extra bells & whistles weren't needed.

I think that the best way for the western side of I-65 to be revitalized would be for UAB to expand to the other side of it.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 03:35 PM by the_blazerman.)
12-16-2013 03:28 PM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

Well a least they are getting things done despite past failures and are proven the naysayers wrong.
12-16-2013 04:05 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(12-16-2013 03:28 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  ^^^^^

The MAPS plan was good in theory, however the people that would be running it were corrupt and all of the extra bells & whistles weren't needed.

I think that the best way for the western side of I-65 to be revitalized would be for UAB to expand to the other side of it.

We're somewhat doing that. The Alagasco ops center on 5th Ave S was bought by UAB and will become a massive parking lot that the shuttle busses run to.
12-16-2013 04:11 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
the "MAPS" plan was as good as any that any city can propose. It ran head on into a suburban group that wanted to block it and lied ("RAPS") about having a privately financed alternative that, of course, never materialized. It was a coordinated plan of several phases and this was rationalized as reasons to vote the whole thing down.

Corruption? The only Jeffco city to have its mayor convicted of offenses committed during his tenure as mayor was the mayor of HOOVER. Now Jeffco's Commission has had its share of convictions too, but none in the city government. That is just a way the suburban forces could smear the city because of its promotion of distrust for the city's new leadership.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 09:50 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
12-16-2013 09:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.