(2) Auburn
(15) Rice
12-11-2013 06:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
RE: Playoff: What could have been...
Fun to think about, but I'm glad there's not one. We didn't deserve a chance at the title after the loss in the Big Ten Championship. Honestly, I don't think there is much room for any team outside of Florida State to complain about not getting a chance this year. Auburn deserved it most of the 1 loss teams, but I've always had the philosophy that once you loss, consider yourself lucky if things work out to give you a chance.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 06:52 PM by ohio1317.)
12-11-2013 06:51 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Re: RE: Playoff: What could have been...
(12-11-2013 06:51 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Fun to think about, but I'm glad there's not one. We didn't deserve a chance at the title after the loss in the Big Ten Championship. Honestly, I don't think there is much room for any team outside of Florida State to complain about not getting a chance this year. Auburn deserved it most of the 1 loss teams, but I've always had the philosophy that once you loss, consider yourself lucky if things work out to give you a chance.

What ohio said. In addition, I'd say 16 teams is too big. 8 teams is the max that won't dilute the regular season.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
12-11-2013 06:57 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(12-11-2013 06:57 PM)brista21 Wrote:  ... I'd say 16 teams is too big. 8 teams is the max that won't dilute the regular season.
Then:

(1) Florida State
(8) Ohio St.

(5) Stanford
(4) Michigan St.

(3) Alabama
(6) Baylor

(7) Missouri
(2) Auburn

There's something about that bracket, but I just can't put my finger on it ...
07-coffee3
12-11-2013 07:08 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
12-11-2013 07:58 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Sixteen teams means 15 games. Eight teams means 7 games. Sixteen games means the winner plays 17 games that year. Not happening, sorry. It is fun to chalkboard it though.
12-11-2013 08:03 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(12-11-2013 07:08 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 06:57 PM)brista21 Wrote:  ... I'd say 16 teams is too big. 8 teams is the max that won't dilute the regular season.
Then:

(1) Florida State
(8) Ohio St.

(5) Stanford
(4) Michigan St.

(3) Alabama
(6) Baylor

(7) Missouri
(2) Auburn

07-coffee3

Imagine the money to be made out of an 8-team bracket like that. That's why it will happen eventually.
12-11-2013 09:05 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
An 8 team playoff is the only way to go. Although I don't want to see a repeat of the Auburn & Mizzou game.
12-11-2013 09:47 PM
Wedge Offline

Easy enough to fix. Just swap Mizzou and Ohio St.
12-11-2013 10:16 PM
allerretour Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: rice, naturally
(12-11-2013 06:11 PM)army56mike Wrote:  (1) Florida State
(16) La. Lafayette

(8) Ohio St.
(9) Missouri

(5) Stanford
(12) UCF

(4) Michigan St.
(13) Fresno St.

(3) Alabama
(14) Bowling Green

(6) Baylor
(11) Oregon

(7) Missouri
(10) Oklahoma

(2) Auburn
(15) Rice

Never happen. Auburn keeps dodging us.
12-11-2013 11:40 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(12-11-2013 09:05 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 07:08 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
Then:

(1) Florida State / (8) Ohio St.
(5) Stanford / (4) Michigan St.
(3) Alabama / (6) Baylor
(7) Missouri / (2) Auburn

07-coffee3

Imagine the money to be made out of an 8-team bracket like that. That's why it will happen eventually.
Yes ... I guess Frank the Tank would look at that and see four bowl games, then a semi-final, then a CFP, so not interfering any more with the December finals than the current system does.

(12-11-2013 10:16 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Easy enough to fix. Just swap Mizzou and Ohio St.

Then I guess it'd be:

(1) Florida State / (7) Missouri ~ Orange Bowl
(4) Michigan St. / (5) Stanford ~ Rose Bowl
(3) Alabama / (6) Baylor ~ Fiesta Bowl
(2) Auburn / (8) Ohio St. ~ Sugar Bowl
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 12:30 AM by BruceMcF.)
12-12-2013 12:24 AM
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
Yawn.

A 8 team system this year doesn't have any Cinderella teams.

US Steel vs. Standard Oil matchups. Boring.
12-13-2013 02:32 AM
wildthing202 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ND & BC
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2013 05:45 AM by wildthing202.)
12-13-2013 05:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
(12-11-2013 06:57 PM)brista21 Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 06:51 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Fun to think about, but I'm glad there's not one. We didn't deserve a chance at the title after the loss in the Big Ten Championship. Honestly, I don't think there is much room for any team outside of Florida State to complain about not getting a chance this year. Auburn deserved it most of the 1 loss teams, but I've always had the philosophy that once you loss, consider yourself lucky if things work out to give you a chance.

What ohio said. In addition, I'd say 16 teams is too big. 8 teams is the max that won't dilute the regular season.

I don't know if I agree with that. FCS does it very successfully. 16 teams is easy. They actually have 24 teams in their playoff. Works well. Doesn't dilute their regular season.
12-13-2013 06:45 AM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-11-2013 06:11 PM)army56mike Wrote:  (1) Florida State
(16) La. Lafayette

(8) Ohio St.
(9) Missouri

(5) Stanford
(12) UCF

(4) Michigan St.
(13) Fresno St.

(3) Alabama
(14) Bowling Green

(6) Baylor
(11) Oregon

(7) Missouri
(10) Oklahoma

(2) Auburn
(15) Rice

Do you really believe that teams like La. Lafayette deserve to be in the National Championship playoff???
12-13-2013 12:57 PM
army56mike Offline

Yes, because they win their conference yes. Do I believe they can win now? No.

I know I am comparing apples to oranges but look at the basketball tourney from last year. Should Wichita St. not have been in the tourney because they are a lesser known non traditional powerhouse team? They went to the final four. And look at Butler. Small conference doesn't automatically mean not competitive if given opportunities.

If doors are opened up to these teams I think we may be surprised at what they can do. For goodness sake, if your team was a conference champion wouldn't you want the opportunity to be in a playoff?
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2013 09:21 PM by army56mike.)
12-13-2013 09:12 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(12-13-2013 09:12 PM)army56mike Wrote:  Yes, because they win their conference yes. Do I believe they can win now? No.

I know I am comparing apples to oranges but look at the basketball tourney from last year. Should Wichita St. not have been in the tourney because they are a lesser known non traditional powerhouse team? They went to the final four. And look at Butler. Small conference doesn't automatically mean not competitive if given opportunities.

If doors are opened up to these teams I think we may be surprised at what they can do. For goodness sake, if your team was a conference champion wouldn't you want the opportunity to be in a playoff?
Basketball and football are 2 totally different animals, mike. I don't see your point. It doesn't matter that they won their conference. Almost any P5 school would win their conference. So they don't belong in a football playoff.

The fact that smaller schools are able to get to the Final Four is irrelevant, since any school can manage to find enough good basketball players to compete, if they work at it properly. But a football team requires 22 players to field an offense and defense, and that doesn't even include special teams, or enough backups to compensate for injuries and stamina over a full game and season. It ain't the same at all.
12-13-2013 10:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline

I agree, bit, and I'd add this:

You have to make choices in a college football playoff (even one as large as 16 teams) that you don't have to make in a 68-team college basketball playoff. For March Madness, sure, you're excluding some at-large teams because you give an autobid to 35 different leagues.

But given that autobids for top leagues plus 33 at large bids mean that all of the best 40 teams are in the tournament, it's not such a big deal when unworthy autobid teams keep the 41st, 42nd, and 43rd best teams in D-I out of the tournament -- if you're 7th place in the Pac-12 or ACC and you're on the wrong side of the bubble, well, you probably had about 15 opportunities to beat tournament teams and didn't win enough of those games.

With a much smaller playoff, it's a completely different deal in football. Autobids would mean that more than half of the 10 or 11-win teams from power conferences would be excluded, even from a 16-team playoff. (There are 15 teams in P5 leagues with at least 10 wins this season.)
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 02:37 AM by Wedge.)
12-14-2013 02:36 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Sorry but Rice, La Fayette, Fresno, and BGSU doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs simply because they won their divisions. 0 way I could put them in over Clemson, South Carolina, Oklahoma State, Arizona State (ugh), and LSU. LSU would've ran through the Sun Belt w/ ease. Heck half of the field from the American would've ran through the Sun Belt. Comparing basketball to football is disingenuous. In basketball it's 5 on 5 and sometimes just 1 player makes a difference. In football it's totally different. OK it's possible for an upset, .but I highly doubt a Rice would go through that gauntlet when they couldn't beat Houston (a 4th place American team). I know this is a all bout fairness and stuff; however, not everyone deserves a spot in the playoffs. 8 teams max.
12-14-2013 03:08 AM
army56mike Offline

I did say it was an apples to oranges comparison to start with.

Let me play devils advocate here. I agree that those teams mentioned have vitrually 0% chance of competing for a national title.

But, if conference champions were given an auto bid into a playoff system, would more players decide to attend a wider variety of schools with the understanding that they could have a shot at getting to the playoffs? Would this level the football playing field to a degree?

For example, two kids want to play at Florida St. One kid gets the scholarship. The other needs to find places to play. He can get immediate playing time at say UAB, and understand they have a better chance at making the playoffs there.

In time wouldn't the playing field be leveled a bit and competition nationwide be brought up?
12-14-2013 05:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.