Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Fans
Bookmark and Share
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Exclamation Rice Fans
How is the loss of your OC going to effect your team? I heard he was moving on to Kansas to coach with Jaba the Hut.
12-10-2013 08:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
RE: Rice Fans
He got a long-term deal to go to Kansas so good for him and his family as he is from there and was w/ Mangino in the KU glory year of going to Orange Bowl. So if Weis gets fired/bought-out, he still gets paid.

As far as Owl fans response, depends on when the question was asked. If you would have asked after Tulane game, we would say 'zero impact' and don't let the door hit you on the way out. It was his worst game (although the 8 plays at NT inside the 10 yd line were bad too).

He redeemed himself last Saturday with one of his best games ever so there is a bit of nervousness. Really took advantage of the predictability of our offense by introducing a bunch of wrinkles that Marshall was not ready for. He deserves props.

All-in-all, we expect Bailiff to promote from within as he has a strong bias for continuity. Our receivers coach (Lynch) has been speculated to be the guy to get the job. He is also recruiting coordinator. If that is the case, would expect to see same schemes but not sure what kind of game he will call. Given his background at Indiana and at Rice, probably would expect us to throw a bit more but the QB for next year (Driphius Jackson) is really more of a running QB so hard to tell.

I'm really interested in how the new OC takes advantage of Jackson's feet and likely Jowan Davis (RB) shifty nature. Very different than McHargue and Ross power running game. Hope to see more sprint-out, bootleg, etc. action to get both of those guys in space. That will be important. If new OC tries to have Jackson stand in pocket and run Davis between the tackles, it will be a long year for Owls.

This is a big debate on Owl Message Board for the OC approach...Do fit the talent for your system or adjust system for talent? Personally, I hope new OC adjusts our system for the talent we have next season as it is not designed for what made us successful this season.
12-10-2013 09:05 AM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
None of the offensive coordinators in the Bailiff era have gotten much respect from fans, and there has been a wide array of opinions on most of them, coach Reagan is no different.

I think it will hurt, but it's very hard for someone on a message board to really tell how much without insight into the dynamics within the program as well as knowledge about the upcoming opponent.

I think Reagan has done very well in structuring the running game. That said, it's not like we're losing Gus Malzahn.
12-10-2013 10:10 AM
Orange County Owl Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
I think we'll be fine next season. Losing our DC would seem to be a bigger blow.

I do imagine that it will be an issue for the bowl game, however.
12-10-2013 11:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.