Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Do you think that there is any substance to the Nick Saban to Texas rumors?
No.
Yes.
No, but after 3 national championships perpetuating the rumor makes Alabama fans queasy so it's fun to do.
[Show Results]

Saban to Texas?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Saban to Texas?
So, do yo think that there is really anything to the Saban to Texas rumors?

P.S. Remember to vote in the poll!
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2013 11:16 PM by JRsec.)
12-09-2013 11:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Saban to Texas?
On the radio today they said a family member is moving to Austin do that's why his wife was here
12-09-2013 11:09 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Saban to Texas?
I do not think Saban will go to Texas. But It would be Historic if he could take another team to the National Championship.
12-09-2013 11:10 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-09-2013 11:09 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  On the radio today they said a family member is moving to Austin do that's why his wife was here

Believe me, the Alabama fans I know here are real puckered up about this rumor. I think it's because of Nick's past history and how he lied each time prior to the move. The Texas president says no substance, but the angst is palpable with many Crimson Tide fans. Paul Finebaum continues to "sort of" play it down. I think he's more likely to retire in a year or two and get an analyst's position on ESPN, but we'll see. 10 million is 10 million.
12-09-2013 11:14 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
His wife has not sounded very happy lately, and has not hid it from the public...
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 01:41 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
12-10-2013 12:23 AM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
If he confirms: the story ruins his bowl game
if he denies: it only makes people speculate even more
if he has no comment: people go ape sh.it

its a lose-lose situation.

but i dont have pity for them. thats what you get when you establish yourself as a coach who bounces around
12-10-2013 12:41 AM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
I said no b/c of the expectations. No, both programs want wins and MNC, both the difference between the two is at the booster level. In 'Bama, All the boosters want is to be told what to donate to ensure Nick stays in Tuscaloosa. In Texas, those boosters want to feel as though they are apart of the coaching circle and require a certain level of glad-handling that I don't think Nick is capable of.
12-10-2013 08:01 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Saban is known to move for money and or a new challenge.
Mack's contract will pay him $40M from 2014 to 2020, so money is not an object for Texas.

If you have a big ego, you are always looking for a new challenge.
12-10-2013 08:44 AM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
I think that he'll be smart, and allow his agent to make just enough smoke about it to get a little more $ out of Alabama. But I don't think that he'd actually do it. Once a coach gets to an elite destination job, it's pretty rare to move to another one unless there are other concerns (like Roy Williams going home to North Carolina). I also think that it would have been more feasible for him to actually make the move if he were 6-8 years or so younger.
12-10-2013 04:08 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-10-2013 04:08 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  I think that he'll be smart, and allow his agent to make just enough smoke about it to get a little more $ out of Alabama. But I don't think that he'd actually do it. Once a coach gets to an elite destination job, it's pretty rare to move to another one unless there are other concerns (like Roy Williams going home to North Carolina). I also think that it would have been more feasible for him to actually make the move if he were 6-8 years or so younger.
I tend to believe that what you stated is pretty much on target, especially with regards to his age and the methods of Jimmy Sexton, his agent.
12-10-2013 05:18 PM
Proud Bammer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Yet Another NC
(12-10-2013 08:01 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  I said no b/c of the expectations. No, both programs want wins and MNC, both the difference between the two is at the booster level. In 'Bama, All the boosters want is to be told what to donate to ensure Nick stays in Tuscaloosa. In Texas, those boosters want to feel as though they are apart of the coaching circle and require a certain level of glad-handling that I don't think Nick is capable of.

No, that's not true. Back in 2007, one of the big donors, Jim Wilson III (a UA Trustee) made a series of phone calls from his private plane to OC Major Applewhite to whine about play-calling. Saban smacked Wilson down in public.

Our boosters are struck just as stupid by unearned wealth and privilege as Texas' (or anyone's). Half the Board has a III or IV after their name. Saban has been successful here because he's just that much more arrogant than they are. So yes, he's arrogant enough to go to Texas and smack down some more useless rich boys.
12-10-2013 06:17 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
ESPN is reporting it so there is some validity to the rumor. It is still just a rumor (I think) but considering it is ESPN, Alabama and Texas....that is one hell of a love triangle!
12-11-2013 08:10 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-11-2013 08:10 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  ESPN is reporting it so there is some validity to the rumor. It is still just a rumor (I think) but considering it is ESPN, Alabama and Texas....that is one hell of a love triangle!

Love triangle is right, but for another reason. Jimmy Sexton is also Jimbo Fisher's agent. If Saban goes to Texas, Fisher is rumored to be at the top of Alabama's list of possible replacements. And I forget who they named would be up for the F.S.U. job but they too were under contract with Jimmy Sexton. That shady Memphis lawyer will get 15% of each contract increase. Hell I should have followed up my LSAT with law school anyway.
12-11-2013 09:15 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(12-11-2013 09:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 08:10 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  ESPN is reporting it so there is some validity to the rumor. It is still just a rumor (I think) but considering it is ESPN, Alabama and Texas....that is one hell of a love triangle!

Love triangle is right, but for another reason. Jimmy Sexton is also Jimbo Fisher's agent. If Saban goes to Texas, Fisher is rumored to be at the top of Alabama's list of possible replacements. And I forget who they named would be up for the F.S.U. job but they too were under contract with Jimmy Sexton. That shady Memphis lawyer will get 15% of each contract increase. Hell I should have followed up my LSAT with law school anyway.
Fisher just signed a nice new contract with FSU.
12-12-2013 12:11 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-12-2013 12:11 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

Fisher just signed a nice new contract with FSU.

We've all learned in the SEC that such contracts are easily broken when the right opportunity comes knocking, and your agent knows where every school's bodies are buried.
12-12-2013 12:40 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Yeah but if you are Fisher, you got it made with FSU. You are in one of the top three states for recruiting. You are in a league that you can very easily go undefeated in almost every single year. At Alabama, you would be following Saban. Any slide downwards isn't going to be taken very well by Alabama fans. Alabama should be just as worried about replacing Saban as they are about losing him. I wouldn't want to follow in his footsteps if I was a coach.
12-12-2013 07:03 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

Jimmy Sexton is also Butch Davis' agent......and Butch needs a job!
12-12-2013 10:13 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-12-2013 07:03 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Yeah but if you are Fisher, you got it made with FSU. You are in one of the top three states for recruiting. You are in a league that you can very easily go undefeated in almost every single year. At Alabama, you would be following Saban. Any slide downwards isn't going to be taken very well by Alabama fans. Alabama should be just as worried about replacing Saban as they are about losing him. I wouldn't want to follow in his footsteps if I was a coach.

On the scale of coaches jobs, Alabama is #2 or #3 in the nation depending on whether you are looking at history or salary. Texas is #1. Then it is Alabama or Notre Dame. H1 Auburn is considered a better job than F.S.U., not by much, but from both money and tradition it is.
12-12-2013 10:29 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-12-2013 10:13 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Jimmy Sexton is also Butch Davis' agent......and Butch needs a job!
Butch could rebrand his image at F.S.U. At Alabama, Butch's past sins would mean that he could only dig a deeper grave.
12-12-2013 10:32 AM
Proud Bammer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Yet Another NC
There's bad blood between Fisher and some of our Trustees, esp. Bear Junior (they blocked him from taking the UAB job in what was, tbh, a petty/childish move; he and the missus have had some pretty angry comments). Doubt either side can abide the other.
12-12-2013 01:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.