Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who was bowl eligible that didn't get a bowl?
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Who was bowl eligible that didn't get a bowl?
Since we have 4 new bowls next year. Were any AQ conference schools left without a bowl?
12-08-2013 10:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
RE: Who was bowl eligible that didn't get a bowl?
AQ? No. Only G5 schools

Western Kentucky, Toledo, Florida Atlantic, Central Michigan, San Jose State, South Alabama, Texas State, Troy, and Louisiana-Monroe were all left without bowls.

Sun Belt got screwed. 7 bowl eligible teams, 2 selected
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2013 10:40 PM by chrisattsu.)
12-08-2013 10:39 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(12-08-2013 10:39 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  Sun Belt got screwed. 7 bowl eligible teams, 2 selected
People on the Sun Belt board have been discussing that possibility all season. I admit, until this weekend I thought something would happen to allow 3 (maybe even 4) Belt teams to go to a bowl, but I was wrong about that.
12-08-2013 10:48 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
Ugh WKU was 8-4. And allegedly Hot Karl was offering bowls money to take them. Such bullsnot. These teams above here are the ones who really and truly got screwed this year.
12-08-2013 10:52 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I'm not sure how the Sun Belt didn't get to send one of their teams to the Pizza Bowl; usually that one is a slam dunk.
12-08-2013 10:56 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(12-08-2013 10:56 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I'm not sure how the Sun Belt didn't get to send one of their teams to the Pizza Bowl; usually that one is a slam dunk.

Pizza Bowl decided to screw the Sun Belt and take Pittsburgh.
12-08-2013 11:24 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2013 10:48 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 10:39 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  Sun Belt got screwed. 7 bowl eligible teams, 2 selected
People on the Sun Belt board have been discussing that possibility all season. I admit, until this weekend I thought something would happen to allow 3 (maybe even 4) Belt teams to go to a bowl, but I was wrong about that.

I figured this was going to happen about week 5. Too many AQ teams eligible. Too few 5-7 teams and too many 6-6 AQ teams.
12-08-2013 11:26 PM
AllPtsBulletin Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Old School
(12-08-2013 10:39 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  AQ? No. Only G5 schools

Western Kentucky, Toledo, Florida Atlantic, Central Michigan, San Jose State, South Alabama, Texas State, Troy, and Louisiana-Monroe were all left without bowls.

I don't believe TxSt was eligible this season unless the bowls were short of contestants and the others in bold were 5-6 going into the last week, so no big deal there...win enough and have a beef like Toledo and ULaLa.
12-12-2013 05:01 AM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

(12-12-2013 05:01 AM)AllPtsBulletin Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 10:39 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  AQ? No. Only G5 schools

I don't believe TxSt was eligible this season unless the bowls were short of contestants and the others in bold were 5-6 going into the last week, so no big deal there...win enough and have a beef like Toledo and ULaLa.

Texas State was bowl eligible.
2011- First year transition
2012 - Second year transition
2013 - Full Bowl eligible

UTSA was one year behind us in their transition because they were an upstart team while we were an FCS upgrade.

We lost our last three games in a row and ended 6-6. I don't fault bowls for not taking us. Best we could have hoped for was an at large for one of the Texas bowls (Armed Forces, Heart of Dallas) who was looking for a local team to sell tickets.
12-12-2013 10:19 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(12-08-2013 11:24 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 10:56 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I'm not sure how the Sun Belt didn't get to send one of their teams to the Pizza Bowl; usually that one is a slam dunk.

The Pizza Eaters bowl already had a taste of Western Kentucky's traveling fan base last year, and if it was entirely in their hands, that would be: "quite wisely decided to go out their final season with a match-up that could generate a profit instead of a loss".

When the tie-in was announced in 2010, it was announced as 2010-2013, but it seems like there must have been an opt-out ~ if the opt-out included no winning team available, and Western Kentucky itself decided they couldn't afford to buy all of those unsold tickets for a second year in a row and let the Pizza Eaters know in advance they wouldn't accept a bid, that would have been enough to opt-out.
12-12-2013 12:31 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-12-2013 12:31 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

The Pizza Eaters bowl already had a taste of Western Kentucky's traveling fan base last year, and if it was entirely in their hands, that would be: "quite wisely decided to go out their final season with a match-up that could generate a profit instead of a loss".

When the tie-in was announced in 2010, it was announced as 2010-2013, but it seems like there must have been an opt-out ~ if the opt-out included no winning team available, and Western Kentucky itself decided they couldn't afford to buy all of those unsold tickets for a second year in a row and let the Pizza Eaters know in advance they wouldn't accept a bid, that would have been enough to opt-out.

WKU did not turn down the Pizza Bowl. the Pizza Bowl had an opt out for an open P5 school. Its not been a big deal in future years because who would want to go to Detroit on December 26th? But this year the stupid ACC kept beating up on each other and left a situation where pretty much the only at large spots were going to go to P5 schools.
12-13-2013 01:46 AM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse

Nah, they made the right business decision. Pitt will draw better ratings than any Sun Belt team.
12-13-2013 01:58 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(12-13-2013 01:58 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  
Nah, they made the right business decision. Pitt will draw better ratings than any Sun Belt team.
Sunbelt teams would probably bring more fans to the bowl city than Pitt would. Pitt fans aren't known for traveling well to home games, much less games away from home.
12-13-2013 03:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
The Sun Belt even tried bribing bowls to take their teams, yet it didn't work.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...ball-bowls

Quote:The Sun Belt had seven bowl-eligible teams. Only two -- UL Lafayette and Arkansas State -- made the postseason. From a statement by league commissioner Karl Benson:

"During the past several weeks, I have been in discussions and negotiations with all the bowls that might be open. Specifically, the Sun Belt targeted the AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl and Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl and was in negotiations with both up until final decisions were made.

The Sun Belt Conference Presidents and Chancellors authorized me two weeks ago to use Sun Belt funds at my discretion to entice both bowls to take a Sun Belt team. As a result, the Sun Belt made very significant financial offers to both bowls that clearly exceeded anything the Sun Belt has done in previous years."
12-13-2013 03:37 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I thought the Sun Belt teams didn't want to go to Detroit anyway?
12-13-2013 04:07 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(12-13-2013 04:07 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I thought the Sun Belt teams didn't want to go to Detroit anyway?
Nobody wants to go to Detroit. Not even the folks who live there.
12-13-2013 04:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

(12-13-2013 04:07 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I thought the Sun Belt teams didn't want to go to Detroit anyway?

Honestly, I don't think we did. I was willing to travel to a number of bowls to see my Bobcats (if we were selected). Hawaii and Detroit were the only two that I would have likely skipped on.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2013 04:30 PM by chrisattsu.)
12-13-2013 04:24 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(12-13-2013 01:46 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  ... the Pizza Bowl had an opt out for an open P5 school.
Well, that surely makes business sense ~ and more sense as a back-up option, since the idea of the bowl is a higher level MAC school plays a P5 school. Indeed, I think Pitt may be the closest non-Big Ten P5 school to Detroit.
12-14-2013 12:22 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(12-13-2013 04:24 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
Nobody wants to go to Detroit. Not even the folks who live there.

They're not known for traveling but Detroit isn't that far away. Surely they can bring 1000 fans and outdraw any sunbelt school. The ratings alone really make Pitt the obvious pick.
12-14-2013 12:48 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2013 03:37 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  The Sun Belt even tried bribing bowls to take their teams, yet it didn't work.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...ball-bowls

Quote:The Sun Belt had seven bowl-eligible teams. Only two -- UL Lafayette and Arkansas State -- made the postseason. From a statement by league commissioner Karl Benson:

"During the past several weeks, I have been in discussions and negotiations with all the bowls that might be open. Specifically, the Sun Belt targeted the AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl and Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl and was in negotiations with both up until final decisions were made.

The Sun Belt Conference Presidents and Chancellors authorized me two weeks ago to use Sun Belt funds at my discretion to entice both bowls to take a Sun Belt team. As a result, the Sun Belt made very significant financial offers to both bowls that clearly exceeded anything the Sun Belt has done in previous years."

SJSU paid the Military Bowl last year.
12-14-2013 10:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.