Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Southern Miss has to go to overtime to beat Ga. State
Bookmark and Share
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Southern Miss has to go to overtime to beat Ga. State
75-65... Had to hit a three with .7 seconds left to get it to the overtime.
12-07-2013 07:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
RE: Southern Miss has to go to overtime to beat Ga. State
Win is a win is a win.
12-07-2013 07:53 PM
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

At home. Not good. Ga state has wins over awesome southern poly, mcneese state, and young harris.
12-07-2013 08:11 PM
southernmiss4ever Offline
All American

(12-07-2013 08:11 PM)EagleX Wrote:  At home. Not good. Ga state has wins over awesome southern poly, mcneese state, and young harris.

It's a win.

We won't care about Georgia State come March, just that we beat them.
12-07-2013 08:39 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
FWIW Ga State lost at Vandy 80-86 earlier this year. If they had a good coach, they would have a winning record right now.
12-07-2013 08:49 PM
Advertisement

Funslinger Offline
All American

(12-07-2013 08:49 PM)TTT Wrote:  FWIW Ga State lost at Vandy 80-86 earlier this year. If they had a good coach, they would have a winning record right now.

They have a good, not great, coach.
12-07-2013 08:59 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
We are very familiar with Georgia State and Ron Hunter was considered one of the best in the CAA. His teams were generally undersized but were just as good defensively in the half court as VCU.

Haven't been following them this year but they have RJ Hunter (beast) and Ryan Harrow. I've been surprised with their slow start because the talent is there.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2013 09:34 PM by ODUR8R.)
12-07-2013 09:34 PM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
we have them in Greenville in a few weeks for their return trip after we beat them at their place last season.....

07-coffee3
12-07-2013 09:36 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
ODU has them as their next game......After the road VCU game tomorrow 04-jawdrop
12-07-2013 09:52 PM
Advertisement

Southern Miss Alum Offline
1st String

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Southern Miss had to mount a strong comeback to take a two-point win against them last year. IIRC, they're the team that beat Eustachy's squads in back-to-back years.
12-08-2013 09:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

A win is a win is a win... And yes, GaSt has been one of those thorn-teams against us quite a bit.
12-08-2013 04:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
USM is 3-1 against them, but the last two have been close...

We are going to struggle against teams with size inside....they had two that both fouled out before OT.

Board has not progressed like I thought he would....we are missing Mills tenacity in the paint

Depth is our strength, but lack of size is going to cost us a couple we should win

It's going to be an interesting year. I'm not as confident right now as I was before the season started, but only by a little less.
12-08-2013 07:11 PM
PureGold Offline
1st String

(12-08-2013 09:50 AM)Southern Miss Alum Wrote:  Southern Miss had to mount a strong comeback to take a two-point win against them last year. IIRC, they're the team that beat Eustachy's squads in back-to-back years.
I thought that was Savannah State?
12-08-2013 07:13 PM
Advertisement

nastybunch Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2013 07:13 PM)PureGold Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 09:50 AM)Southern Miss Alum Wrote:  Southern Miss had to mount a strong comeback to take a two-point win against them last year. IIRC, they're the team that beat Eustachy's squads in back-to-back years.
I thought that was Savannah State?

It was....
12-09-2013 09:04 AM
istrahan Offline
Special Teams

(12-08-2013 07:11 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  USM is 3-1 against them, but the last two have been close...

We are going to struggle against teams with size inside....they had two that both fouled out before OT.

Board has not progressed like I thought he would....we are missing Mills tenacity in the paint

Depth is our strength, but lack of size is going to cost us a couple we should win

It's going to be an interesting year. I'm not as confident right now as I was before the season started, but only by a little less.

I don't think their big men were an issue. We were up 11 with under 9 minutes left and they ran the same play over and over with their two guards, White and Harrow, driving right off a high pick and either pulling up for a short floater or getting to the basket. Outside of their big guys setting picks, I don't think they were a factor in the come back at all. I haven't seen a team get to the basket as easily as GSU did over that 7 or so minutes against Tyndall's team since he's been here. The closest comparison I could make is when we played Colorado State in the tournament championship game in Cancun in 2010. Even Louisville couldn't get into the paint against our zone so easily. I'm not smart enough to know what the rotational assignment was supposed to be, but if whoever was guarding that zone couldn't get on the ball handler's right hip, he was getting beat to the basket. The inability to stop that one play along with our turning over the ball on 5 of 8 possessions over a 4 minute period is how we blew the lead.

I know Georgia State's record is awful, but their starting 5 are not that bad. Their bench isn't very good. They played 12 guys against us and managed just 1 bench point.
12-09-2013 11:40 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(12-09-2013 11:40 AM)istrahan Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 07:11 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  USM is 3-1 against them, but the last two have been close...

I don't think their big men were an issue. We were up 11 with under 9 minutes left and they ran the same play over and over with their two guards, White and Harrow, driving right off a high pick and either pulling up for a short floater or getting to the basket. Outside of their big guys setting picks, I don't think they were a factor in the come back at all. I haven't seen a team get to the basket as easily as GSU did over that 7 or so minutes against Tyndall's team since he's been here. The closest comparison I could make is when we played Colorado State in the tournament championship game in Cancun in 2010. Even Louisville couldn't get into the paint against our zone so easily. I'm not smart enough to know what the rotational assignment was supposed to be, but if whoever was guarding that zone couldn't get on the ball handler's right hip, he was getting beat to the basket. The inability to stop that one play along with our turning over the ball on 5 of 8 possessions over a 4 minute period is how we blew the lead.

I know Georgia State's record is awful, but their starting 5 are not that bad. Their bench isn't very good. They played 12 guys against us and managed just 1 bench point.

Team hasnt learned CRH's defense. Cannot defend the 3 at all. Its a mess right now. We expected a tournament run and we get this.
12-09-2013 12:19 PM
TOPPERSonTOP Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU TOPS
I went to the vandy game. This is what I wrote about them back then. USM fans feel free to give us some analysis of where they stand. Looks like it could be WKU and ULL playing for it this year.

The All-World Undisputed College Basketball Number One Georgia State Panthers fell to Vandy tonight. I made the short drive to West End Ave. and took in what was an excellent game. Have tons of notes from my scouting trip (Coach Harp, this is for you).

I'll post more after I see some stats and what not, but GSU played Vandy very well. But Vandy fans are looking at a bottom teir season in the SEC. VU is extremely young and lost a lot last season.

GSU played very well all game, but Harrow and Hunter both had their personal choke moments that cost them the game during the final seconds.

I've been sick all day, but here is a few things I see for GSU. The glaring thing from the Box Score is lack of depth. They played 8 guys. The 3 off the bench combined for 25 minutes, 3 points, 4 boards, and 1 assist. That is no bueno. Especially as the season wears on and injuries happen.

RJ Hunter is a decent player, but he is not what GSU tries to make him out to be. He is not leading the panthers to the promised land anytime soon. When I played Middle School ball, my coach told me to shoot with confidence. Late in the season I was still without points, and on freethrows I was standing at the far end of the court. On the rebound we made the long pass down and I had an open lane to the hoop. I ppulled up from 18, and threw it in. Coach benched me for not taking the open lay up... The point here is Hunter pulled up from 5-15 feeet behind the arc multiple times. If he is going to shoot a 3, shoot closer in. Stop shooting with "too much confidence". He went 3-9, but had he been smarter, he could have went 4 or 5-9.

Harrow is quick and smart. He loves to get into the lane and put up the floater. He is the leader of this team. He has the ability to take the ball in his hand and create points.

They played a lot of 2-3 zone last night. I think that WKU will be able to take advantage of this. Vandy had a lot of success on moving the ball inside out. We did this a lot last season with fant, and I would expect to see more of it this year between him and Alex. GSU was really slow to trap the ball on the inside, and were slower to cover the pass to the wing. Vandy got a lot of looks because of the shifts.

Their other area of weakness could be on the inside. Washington (42) is their only decent size. He stands at 6-9. He had a really weak first half. Didn't do much of anything. In the second, Harrow penetrated better, and gave him the dump off underneath. He picked up 5 buckets before the night was over. Also in the second half Vandy took it to him hard. They tried to really get into the paint. As a result of the increased activity, Washington racked up 4 blocks. As the season goes on we will see if he can keep up with that production.

I also noted that they struggled to score against the zone. Don't remember it all that well, but I underlined that statement. I also kept writing how bad they were in their zone rotations. They are so slow to cover. This was the most glaring weakness in their defense.
12-09-2013 12:51 PM
Advertisement

istrahan Offline
Special Teams

(12-09-2013 12:19 PM)panama Wrote:  Team hasnt learned CRH's defense. Cannot defend the 3 at all. Its a mess right now. We expected a tournament run and we get this.

Before we hit 2 of our last 3 in regulation, we were 4 for 16 from 3. On the defensive end, it was the offensive rebounds that killed you as the last two 3s we hit both came off of offensive boards for us. When you play a zone all the time, that's the major concern. We're not a good shooting team by any measure, but you managed to hold us to only 38% shooting and forced us into more 3s than we've taken all year. That's a pretty good defensive showing on the road against what should be a good team.

Offensively, your guards handled our pressure with ease and really attacked the basket in the 2nd half. Neither Harrow nor White looked good going left, but that's pretty common at this level. Going right, they both looked pretty good. I think Hunter settled for perimeter shots too often. He has good range but he may have thought he was Marshall Henderson on a couple of those shots. Altogether, I can see why a lot of people had you pegged to win the SBC.
12-09-2013 01:02 PM
istrahan Offline
Special Teams

(12-09-2013 12:51 PM)TOPPERSonTOP Wrote:  USM fans feel free to give us some analysis of where they stand.

I think you're dead on about the bench. They played 11 guys but the bench managed just 1 point and 4 roubounds for the contest in a combined 40 minutes of play. Washington and the two bigs off the bench basically just set screens on the offensive end. I think Washington had just 2 points. GSU as a team settled for jump shots early but really attacked the basket late.

On defense, they pressed with varying levels of intensity and turned us over a few times because of it. We're turnover prone so it may not have been all their doing. They were in a zone the entire game. We had little trouble getting the ball into the post via the pass, but we lack a post player with a great post offensive skill set so getting it inside typically led to a kickout or getting fouled rather than a low post bucket. They gave up a lot of 2nd chance opportunities which I noted in my prior post ended up eventually costing them the game.
12-09-2013 01:33 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(12-07-2013 07:49 PM)nastybunch Wrote:  75-65... Had to hit a three with .7 seconds left to get it to the overtime.

We only beat them by 1; may not be saying much but they seemed to have put a pretty good scare into Vandy as well.
12-09-2013 01:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.