Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FSU & OSU have played the weakest schedules of any BCS title game participant
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
FSU & OSU have played the weakest schedules of any BCS title game participant
Should they make the BCS title game, Ohio State & Florida State will have played among the worst schedules of any team playing in the championship in the BCS era.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...-analysis/
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 01:40 PM by Hokie4Skins.)
12-06-2013 01:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Frog II Online
1st String

I Root For: TCU
RE: FSU & OSU have played the weakest schedules of any BCS title game participant
I still believe they should be the ones to play in it if they win their conference championship game.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 01:56 PM by Big Frog II.)
12-06-2013 01:56 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
RE: FSU & OSU have played the weakest schedules of any BCS title game participant
They make it sound like it's their fault regarding the schedules. In FSU's case, Florida was a preseason top 15 team. No one knew they were going to fall off the cliff due to injuries. FSU also played a 1-11 Idaho to fill a schedule gap. I doubt they'll do that again.
12-06-2013 02:00 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(12-06-2013 01:39 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Should they make the BCS title game, Ohio State & Florida State will have played among the worst schedules of any team playing in the championship in the BCS era.

Another great reason for a multi-team playoff. Top 16 should just about do it.
12-06-2013 02:04 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
16 teams is never happening.

8 is likely but it will be P5 champs + 3 WCs
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 02:27 PM by 10thMountain.)
12-06-2013 02:26 PM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
(12-06-2013 01:39 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Should they make the BCS title game, Ohio State & Florida State will have played among the worst schedules of any team playing in the championship in the BCS era.

The BCS system was flawed from the start. There is no way to determine who the 2 best teams are. You need a 16 to 24 team playoff (a la FCS).
12-06-2013 02:27 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Well Palm's data is flawed in that he doesn't consider FCS teams. Since FSU and OSU both played FCS teams, they would still be very low. But his data overrates schools that do play FCS teams and underrate those that don't. It also doesn't factor in those schools who could be as good as North Dakota St. or as bad as Florida A&M.
12-06-2013 02:44 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-06-2013 02:00 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  They make it sound like it's their fault regarding the schedules. In FSU's case, Florida was a preseason top 15 team. No one knew they were going to fall off the cliff due to injuries. FSU also played a 1-11 Idaho to fill a schedule gap. I doubt they'll do that again.

There is no argument against SOS sillier than "well, it's not team X's fault their schedule was weak". That doesn't matter at all. The only thing that matters is whether a schedule was weak, not why it was weak.

And FSU and OSU have played VERY weak schedules.
12-06-2013 04:13 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
What is better, beating four top 25 teams, or seven top 40 teams?

Team A beats 5, 17, 20, 25 - then a bunch of slugs past 50
Team B beats 12, 19, 26, 28, 35, 36, 37 - then a bunch of slugs past 50

Which team is better? You can say team A beat 4 top 25 teams and team B beat just 2. Or you can say Team A beat 4 top 40 teams, and team B beat 7 top 40 teams, or you can say that Team A has the best win.

Auburn's best win of the year is on an absolute fluke - yes they played Bama even. Damn good game for Auburn, but the win was a fluke. So was the win over Ga. Bama's best win of the year was over who? A three loss LSU team? A four loss TAMU? A four loss VT? Mizzou's best win is over who - a four loss TAMU team? Auburn lost to the three loss LSU team and got lucky twice (even though they played inspired ball against Bama). Mizzou has beaten no one to speak of and lost to South Carolina (albeit in overtime).

What's funny is that in a year when Florida stinks and Georgia has massive injuries, the ACC is penalized in the minds of some, while the SEC gets a complete pass.

FSU and OSU have clearly earned their title shots if they win on Saturday. No one else has earned that shot. Personally, I think Alabama is a better team than OSU, but that doesn't matter, Bama lost a defacto playoff game. Each year there are defacto playoff games and this years games included:

Clemson-Georgia (Georgia out)
FSU-Clemson ( Clemson out)
Bama-Auburn (Bama out)
Mizzou-SC (Mizzou out)
Oklahoma State - OSU (Would have mattered if OSU had not lost to WVa)
Baylor - Oklahoma State (Baylor out)
Oregon - Stanford (Oregon out)

Then there are the unseen upsets or losses that now loom large - ASU/Wisky, SC/Tennessee, ND/Michigan State, LSU/Auburn
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 04:21 PM by lumberpack4.)
12-06-2013 04:16 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-06-2013 04:16 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  FSU and OSU have clearly earned their title shots if they win on Saturday. No one else has earned that shot.

You don't seem to grasp the fact that it is much harder to earn an 11-1 record against a tough schedule than a 12-0 record against a soft schedule. 07-coffee3
12-06-2013 04:18 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(12-06-2013 04:18 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 04:16 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  FSU and OSU have clearly earned their title shots if they win on Saturday. No one else has earned that shot.

You don't seem to grasp the fact that it is much harder to earn an 11-1 record against a tough schedule than a 12-0 record against a soft schedule. 07-coffee3

Who had this tough schedule you speak of? Certainly not Auburn.

How tough is an 9-3 LSU team or an 8-4 TAMU? I know a 11-1 Bama team is tough.

I also know that if you actually watch the games instead of relying on an statistical model based on the final score, you can also glean something about the teams. I watched Auburn get lucky to beat Georgia and Bama. I watched Auburn lose to LSU. I watched Ohio State in an even game with Michigan. I watched Ohio State struggle with Northwestern. I watched FSU beat the living hell out of every team they played by the second quarter, except BC and beat them by the midway point in the third.

I know you will claim that all the teams FSU beat were weak.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 04:29 PM by lumberpack4.)
12-06-2013 04:22 PM
Advertisement

curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
Don't you know that every SEC game is a tough game. Vandy, Kentucky etc.
12-06-2013 04:34 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(12-06-2013 04:34 PM)curtis0620 Wrote:  Don't you know that every SEC game is a tough game. Vandy, Kentucky etc.

True03-hissyfit

In a direct comparison of Auburn to FSU this year:

Auburn's conference foes had a combined record of 57-39 or .594, while FSU's conference foes only had a combined record of .542, 52-44.

The best out of conference wins by Auburn's conference foes that Auburn was able to beat were over Texas, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech. The best out of conference wins by FSU's conference foes that FSU beat were over Notre Dame, Georgia, Florida, and West Va (only because West Va beat Oklahoma State).

I would say that Auburn's schedule was tougher than FSU's but not some sort of quantum difference in toughness. Auburn needed luck to beat Bama, and Georgia, and lost to LSU. Auburn also struggled with Mississippi State, TAMU, and Ole Miss.

FSU struggled with no one. Of course to some, that does not matter, because everything in the ACC is weak. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 04:48 PM by lumberpack4.)
12-06-2013 04:47 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-06-2013 04:47 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 04:34 PM)curtis0620 Wrote:  Don't you know that every SEC game is a tough game. Vandy, Kentucky etc.

True03-hissyfit

Auburn's conference foes had a combined record of 57-39 or .594, while FSU's conference foes only had a combined record of .542, 52-44.

The best out of conference wins by Auburn's conference foes that Auburn was able to beat were over Texas, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech. The best out of conference wins by FSU's conference foes that FSU beat were over Notre Dame, Georgia, Florida, and West Va (only because West Va beat Oklahoma State).

I would say that Auburn's schedule was tougher than FSU's but not some sort of quantum difference in toughness. Auburn needed luck to beat Bama, and Georgia, and lost to LSU. Auburn also struggled with Mississippi State, TAMU, and Ole Miss.

FSU struggled with no one. Of course to some, that does not matter, because everything in the ACC is weak. 04-cheers

Auburn also struggled with Washington St.
12-06-2013 04:54 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(12-06-2013 04:54 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 04:47 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  

True03-hissyfit

Auburn also struggled with Washington St.

I continue to feel that Alabama is the second best team in the nation, and the best in the SEC. I know they blew it on the field, but I "feel" they are better than Auburn. I know that and $1.00 will get me a USA Today. I think the second best team in the SEC is in fact South Carolina, but Mizzou has a chance to change my opinion if they handle Auburn.

I've been watching college football over 35 years, and except a one Oklahoma, a few Miami teams and a couple of Nebraska teams, I just don't recall the beat downs administered week in and week out without fail by FSU. Empirical measurement of that is impossible, but FSU could have beaten several teams this year triple digit margins.
12-06-2013 05:33 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville

Kentucky fans are trying to sell the idea that the National Title game really isn't a national title game if an SEC team isn't involved. We pat them on their wittle wound ball heads and send them on their way.
CJ
12-06-2013 05:48 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Oh, I wish I could just soak myself in all of this anger and rage. I can't wait to watch Ohio State and Florida State win those games tomorrow.
12-06-2013 07:33 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
(12-06-2013 07:33 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Oh, I wish I could just soak myself in all of this anger and rage. I can't wait to watch Ohio State and Florida State win those games tomorrow.

There's a part of me that wants Michigan St to win because I hate OSU. Then there's a part of me that wants OSU to win because the SEC fans would whine from here to eternity about how they were wronged. I'm torn.
12-06-2013 09:41 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM

Forget about opponents... do you honestly believe FSU is not the best team in the country... by a country mile?
12-06-2013 10:35 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
The team that's really been getting overlooked is Missouri. Their only loss was a game they played without their QB . . . And it took 2 OT to beat them. All of their wins were by at least 2 TDs. No close or fluke wins like some of the other pretenders.
12-06-2013 10:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.