Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Comparing CUSA VS American Athletic Bowl Ties
Bookmark and Share
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Comparing CUSA VS American Athletic Bowl Ties
What do you think? I really dont see much difference between the two.

Here is CUSA:

The following is a breakdown of C-USA's nine bowl partners:

The Bahamas Bowl will join the bowl line-up in 2014 as the only postseason college football game outside of the United States. The inaugural game will be held in the new Thomas A. Robinson Stadium in Nassau, Bahamas. Conference USA expects to face a team from the Mid-American Conference in 2015, the American Athletic Conference in 2018 and the Sun Belt Conference in 2019.

Beef `O' Brady's St. Petersburg Bowl began in 2008 and has had a Conference USA participant since its inception, and has been victorious the past two seasons. This bowl is owned and operated by ESPN and held prior to Christmas each year at Tropicana Field, the home of the Tampa Bay Rays. C-USA will meet a team from the American Athletic Conference a minimum of three years.

The Boca Raton Bowl will be played in FAU Stadium on the campus of C-USA member Florida Atlantic University. It is the newest bowl announced that will be run by ESPN. The league will send a team to a minimum of four Boca Raton Bowls, beginning in 2014 against the Mid-American Conference. C-USA will face a member of the American Athletic Conference in later years.

Conference USA will enter its first-year as a primary partner with the Gildan New Mexico Bowl and will send a team to Albuquerque all six years between 2014 and 2019. C-USA will face a representative from the Mountain West Conference each season at University Stadium on the campus of the University of New Mexico.

The Heart of Dallas Bowl presented by PlainsCapital Bank was established in 2012 with the unique perspective of creating an event that will give back to its community. The Heart of Dallas is a non-profit dedicated to supporting causes in the Dallas area, using sports and entertainment as a vehicle to help gain awareness. Conference USA expects to play in the bowl six years and will alternate opponents from the Big Ten and Big 12 as teams meet in the historic Cotton Bowl Stadium.

The Miami Beach Bowl will also host its first game during the 2014 season, with Conference USA expected to face a team from the American Athletic Conference in 2014 and 2015. The American will own and operate the Miami Beach Bowl, which will be held at Marlins Park - the home of Major League Baseball's Miami Marlins. Marlins Park is located on the former site of the historic Orange Bowl Stadium in Miami. Conference USA will play in the bowl a minimum of three years.

The R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl has hosted a Conference USA team nine times during its 12-year history, with a current C-USA team winning six of those 12 bowls. The game will continue to be played at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. C-USA is scheduled to be involved in three games over the next six years.

C-USA also resumes its long-term partnership with the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl to play in the annual Christmas Eve game. A C-USA team has participated in, and won, the last four games in Honolulu. Following a 2013 meeting with a Mountain West team, the two conferences will square off again at Aloha Stadium in 2014, 2016 and 2018.

Conference USA enters a new secondary partnership with the AdvoCare V100 Bowl, played at Independence Stadium in Shreveport, La. C-USA will provide a surplus team to the bowl in the event the Southeastern Conference or Atlantic Coast Conference are unable to provide a team.

And here is the recently announced American Athletic Bowls

The BBVA Compass Bowl takes place at Legion Field in Birmingham, Ala., in one of the most passionate college football communities in the nation, evidenced by last year's record crowd of 55,099. The American/Big East has partnered with the bowl since its inception in the 2006 season. The American Athletic Conference will face an opponent from the Southeastern Conference during each year of the cycle. If the SEC is unable to send a team to the game, the Atlantic Coast Conference would provide a team to oppose The American representative.

The Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl St. Petersburg is played at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. The American Athletic Conference will supply a team to the bowl during each year of the six-year cycle. The Atlantic Coast Conference will provide the opposing team in 2014, 2016 and 2018, while Conference USA will play in the game in 2015, 2017 and 2019.

The Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl is played at Amon G. Carter Stadium on the campus of Texas Christian University and has been played in front of crowds of 40,000 or more in four of the last six years. The American Athletic Conference will send a team to the bowl in 2014, 2016 and 2018. The opponent will be Army in 2014 and a Big 12 team in 2016 and 2018, with Conference USA as a secondary affiliation.

The Sheraton Hawaii Bowl will be played on Hawaiian Airlines Field at Aloha Stadium on the campus of the University of Hawaii. The bowl has featured crowds of at least 30,000 in each of the last six years. The American Athletic Conference will participate in the bowl in 2015, 2017 and 2019, where it will face an opponent from the Mountain West Conference, with Conference USA as a secondary affiliation.

The Miami Beach Bowl will be played for the first time in 2014 at state-of-the-art Marlins Park in Miami, which sits on the site of the historic Orange Bowl stadium. An American Athletic Conference team will play in the bowl each year, facing opponents from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference and the Sun Belt Conference two times each. Institutions from other conferences also will have the opportunity to participate.

The Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman will take place at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Md., while the events and activities surrounding the game will be based in Washington, D.C. The American Athletic Conference will face an opponent from the Atlantic Coast Conference in all six years of the coming cycle.

The Boca Raton Bowl will be a pre-Christmas game that will feature an American Athletic Conference team three times during the six-year cycle at FAU Stadium in Boca Raton, Fla. The American representative will face a team from the Mid-American Conference in in 2015 and 2019 and a Conference USA opponent in 2016 and 2017.

The Bahamas Bowl will be played in at Thomas A. Robinson Stadium in Nassau, Bahamas. The American Athletic Conference will face the Mid-American Conference in 2014 and 2016 and Conference USA in 2018.

The R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl is held at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans and has drawn more than 40,000 spectators in each of the last two years. The American Athletic Conference has agreed to play in the bowl in 2018, against a Sun Belt Conference opponent, and in 2019, against a Conference USA opponent.

In addition to the conference's primary bowl affiliations, The American holds secondary partnerships with the AutoZone Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tenn., the AdvoCare V100 Bowl in Shreveport, La., and the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12-05-2013 09:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
RE: Comparing CUSA VS American Athletic Bowl Ties
AAC's are better. How much better depends on whether you are a CUSA fan or AAC fan. If you're an AAC fan you think they're a lot better. If a CUSA fan, you think they're similar. The main difference is that the AAC has 4 bowls (Military, BoB, BBVA, and AFB) v. the so called P5, while CUSA has one (HoD). The AAC P5 bowls equal 3 annual tie ins (18 slots over 6 years), while CUSA has 6 slots over 6 years or one per year. AAC and CUSA apparently share the backup tie in for Indy bowl. AAC also has a backup tie in to Liberty, but that one may not get used. Also a backup to Poinsettia. The bottom tier bowls are probably a wash, for the most part. Another thing, the AAC has 6 or 7 tie ins for 12 teams (11 next year), while CUSA has 5 for 14 teams. That's a significant difference, because I think there will be many years when CUSA gets more than 5 Bowl Eligible teams. Again, all this is dependent on your bias or point of view, but looking critically at it, one would have to say the AAC came out at least a little ahead (and in my personal opinion, quite a bit ahead).
12-05-2013 09:49 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
It's 6 in one and half dozen in the other. I like the Military Bowl but that's about it. You couldn't pay me to go back to Legion Field, and unless the match ups were really good I doubt I'd go to Boca, Miami, or St. Pete.
12-05-2013 09:52 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
how does the Indy Bowl secondary tie in work w/ both CUSA & AAC saying they have one
12-05-2013 10:01 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
I still say the New Mexico bowl makes Zero sense for C-USA.. sorry UTEP, but a bowl in your backyard makes no sense.

Hell, I wish we'd just do away with conference affiliations for anything but #1 teams in a conference.
12-05-2013 10:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2013 10:07 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  I still say the New Mexico bowl makes Zero sense for C-USA.. sorry UTEP, but a bowl in your backyard makes no sense.

Hell, I wish we'd just do away with conference affiliations for anything but #1 teams in a conference.

at least it gives CUSA a game vs. MWC
12-05-2013 10:08 PM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(12-05-2013 10:01 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  how does the Indy Bowl secondary tie in work w/ both CUSA & AAC saying they have one

They don't say they both have one, they both DO have one.

A bowl can have more than one conference for it's secondary tie in.

Let's say SEC can't fill slot, but the AAC fills all it's bowls, but CUSA has a team available then CUSA would get the slot. There are other scenarios. Maybe both the ACC and SEC can't fill the slots, then both the AAC and CUSA would be in bowl.
12-05-2013 10:37 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
For the Western teams, C-USA's bowl lineup looks great to me. I bet Houston, SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane fans are not too happy about the number of bowl ties the AAC has west of the Mississippi. The AAC has 3 years in the Armed Forces, 1 year in the New Orleans Bowl, and a backup in the Poinsettia Bowl, while C-USA has annual games at the Heart of Dallas, and New Mexico Bowl, plus 3 years in the New Orleans Bowl, with a backup in the Armed Forces Bowl. Both conferences rotate playing in the Hawaii bowl 3 times, and share a backup tie for the Independence Bowl. Seems to be a much better bowl situation for the C-USA West programs.
12-05-2013 10:45 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
I'm not convinced any team in the nation finds itself in September saying "Men, the goal for this program is to play in the (put any of the AAC/CUSA bowls here) bowl game."

That's how close those bowls are.
12-05-2013 11:07 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(12-05-2013 11:07 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  I'm not convinced any team in the nation finds itself in September saying "Men, the goal for this program is to play in the (put any of the AAC/CUSA bowls here) bowl game."

Exactly. The only AAC bowl I'd be mildly excited for is the Military, and even that isn't anything that great.
12-05-2013 11:13 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
(12-05-2013 11:13 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  The only AAC bowl I'd be mildly excited for is the Military,.

I'd buy that.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 11:17 PM by RUNVSFD MINER.)
12-05-2013 11:17 PM
Advertisement

CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Not a whole lot of difference to me.

C-USA
Bahamas Bowl: 3 of 6
Beef'O'Brady Bowl: 3 of 6
Boca Raton Bowl: 4 of 6
Hawaii Bowl: 3 of 6
Miami Beach Bowl: 3 of 6
New Orleans Bowl: 3 of 6
-----------------
New Mexico Bowl: 6 of 6
Heart of Dallas Bowl: 6 of 6

AAC
Beef'O'Brady: 6 of 6
Boca Raton Bowl: 3 of 6
Miami Beach Bowl: 6 of 6
New Orleans Bowl: 2 of 6
----------------
Military Bowl: 6 of 6
Birmingham Bowl: 6 of 6
Armed Forces Bowl: 3 of 6

The material difference is C-USA has Heart of Dallas and New Mexico all 6 years, AAC has Military and Birmingham all 6 years. I like the Heart of Dallas Bowl (Big 10 and Big 12 alternate) much better than the Birmingham Bowl. I don't know if the New Mexico Bowl really makes sense for C-USA, but I think the AAC has a good bowl secured with the Military Bowl. They have more slightly numbers to be divided among fewer members, but I don't really see a huge difference between the two leagues bowl arrangement.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 11:27 PM by CoachMaclid.)
12-05-2013 11:27 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2013 11:13 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 11:07 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  I'm not convinced any team in the nation finds itself in September saying "Men, the goal for this program is to play in the (put any of the AAC/CUSA bowls here) bowl game."

Exactly. The only AAC bowl I'd be mildly excited for is the Military, and even that isn't anything that great.

at least they moved it out of JFK Stadium...that place needs to be demolished
12-05-2013 11:35 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RFK stadium...not JFK.

In 2014 we will have 6 bowls for 11 teams...Past that it looks like 7 with the backups for 12 teams...so if you get to 6-6, you go bowling.

Wish we could have kept the Liberty Bowl.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 11:51 PM by UofMemphis.)
12-05-2013 11:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blazer88 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB
Not in the playoff, don't really care.
12-06-2013 12:00 AM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
(12-05-2013 11:27 PM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  Not a whole lot of difference to me.

C-USA
Beef'O'Brady Bowl: 3 of 6
Boca Raton Bowl: 4 of 6
Miami Beach Bowl: 3 of 6
New Orleans Bowl: 3 of 6
-----------------
New Mexico Bowl: 6 of 6
Heart of Dallas Bowl: 6 of 6

AAC
Beef'O'Brady: 6 of 6
Boca Raton Bowl: 3 of 6
Miami Beach Bowl: 6 of 6
New Orleans Bowl: 2 of 6
----------------
Military Bowl: 6 of 6
Birmingham Bowl: 6 of 6
Armed Forces Bowl: 3 of 6

The material difference is C-USA has Heart of Dallas and New Mexico all 6 years, AAC has Military and Birmingham all 6 years. I like the Heart of Dallas Bowl (Big 10 and Big 12 alternate) much better than the Birmingham Bowl. I don't know if the New Mexico Bowl really makes sense for C-USA, but I think the AAC has a good bowl secured with the Military Bowl. They have more slightly numbers to be divided among fewer members, but I don't really see a huge difference between the two leagues bowl arrangement.

CUSA has back up ties with Independence and as previously discussed there is a good chance SEC never fills that bowl.

2014 looks the most promising for filling the Armed Forces bowl as I doubt Army becomes bowl eligible.

Bottom line with the access slot there is little to no difference between these bowl ties. The AAC can pretend to be better all they want fact is they are not. The G5 that comes out ahead is the one who lands the access spot. The MAC year in and year out seem to put up one solid team. MWC will certainly have some players. If you look at Marshall's schedule next year, it isn't far fetched that they go undefeated. The access slot is wide open.

I couldn't be happier with CUSA-W ties in Dallas, Albuquerque, New Orleans and Fort Worth.
12-06-2013 01:38 AM
Advertisement

SApuro Offline
All American

(12-05-2013 11:17 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 11:13 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  The only AAC bowl I'd be mildly excited for is the Military,.

I'd buy that.

Military bowl is their best bowl. Too bad it's against the ACC (easily the weakest of the P5)
12-06-2013 01:40 AM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

(12-06-2013 01:40 AM)SApuro Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 11:17 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  

I'd buy that.

Military bowl is their best bowl. Too bad it's against the ACC (easily the weakest of the P5)

Cool with me. Should make it easier to get the win and some notoriety.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 01:46 AM by ncbeta.)
12-06-2013 01:46 AM
SApuro Offline
All American

(12-05-2013 09:49 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  AAC's are better. How much better depends on whether you are a CUSA fan or AAC fan. If you're an AAC fan you think they're a lot better. If a CUSA fan, you think they're similar. The main difference is that the AAC has 4 bowls (Military, BoB, BBVA, and AFB) v. the so called P5, while CUSA has one (HoD). The AAC P5 bowls equal 3 annual tie ins (18 slots over 6 years), while CUSA has 6 slots over 6 years or one per year. AAC and CUSA apparently share the backup tie in for Indy bowl. AAC also has a backup tie in to Liberty, but that one may not get used. Also a backup to Poinsettia. The bottom tier bowls are probably a wash, for the most part. Another thing, the AAC has 6 or 7 tie ins for 12 teams (11 next year), while CUSA has 5 for 14 teams. That's a significant difference, because I think there will be many years when CUSA gets more than 5 Bowl Eligible teams. Again, all this is dependent on your bias or point of view, but looking critically at it, one would have to say the AAC came out at least a little ahead (and in my personal opinion, quite a bit ahead).
Lets look at the P5 tie ins a little closer.

AAC P5
Military vs ACC 6 slots
* pro one of the best G5/P5 bowls
* con ACC is borderline P5 just ask all the other conferences

Compass vs SEC 6 slots
* pro SEC opponent annually.
* con Mostly getting their last Bowl eligible team. In a HORRIBLE stadium. Location and opponent play heavily when factoring a "better" line up.

Beef vs ACC 3 slots
* pro upgrade over current opponent
* con bowl with the ACC. Some do not care for the venue.

Armed Forces vs B12
* pro P5 access for the West decent location
* con only 2 slots in 6 years

Summary 17 slots with 9 filled by ACC. 6 filled by SEC but in a crap location. 2 filled by B12.

CUSA P5
Heart of Dallas vs B1G/B12 6 slots
* pro great location nice mix of opponent. IMO the best G5/P5 bowl tie-in. The Las Vegas bowl is a close second.

Independence Bowl (back up tie likely filled 6 slots)
* pro against a P5
* con not the best of locations not the best opponent

Summary 12* slots. HoD bowl is great. Independence bowl isn't much to be desired but gets us access to the ACC.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 02:12 AM by SApuro.)
12-06-2013 02:07 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
My thoughts on the AAC bowls with P5 tie-ins, we all know that these will be the bottom of the level programs from those conferences. You win the game, the spin will be it was against a bottom level P5 program. You lose the game, the spin will be "The AAC is not a upper level conference" so it was expected.

Point is, you're not going to get much recognition for beating a lower level P-5 program and if you lose it really is just going to cement the thoughts many have about the AAC and the G5 conferences in general.

If the AAC or any other G5 conference want to prove they belong in the group with the P-5, then beating the upper level P-5 schools in the regular season will have to start happening on a consistent basis.
12-06-2013 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.