Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Southland Conference Royally screws up
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Southland Conference Royally screws up
Oral Roberts just announced that they are heading back to the summit league after the season, citing they do not like the direction the Southland is heading.
12-05-2013 07:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: Southland Conference Royally screws up
cool story
12-05-2013 08:18 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(12-05-2013 08:18 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  cool story

I just find it amazing the recent strategy that league has taken.
12-05-2013 08:32 PM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-05-2013 08:32 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

what strategy?
12-05-2013 08:33 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(12-05-2013 08:33 PM)CajunExpress Wrote:  

what strategy?

I think that's what I found amusing...they apparently have no strategy.
12-05-2013 08:35 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
So ORU joins IPFW and IUPUI.

If they can only get IOXCVUE then they'll have quite a league.
12-05-2013 08:37 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Part of it has to do with the Summit trying to survive. They lost some teams to the Horizon.

As for the SLC, that is exactly what I was complaining about in another thread. Their preference is 1-AA football and 1-AA football and 1-AA football. After that basketball gets a little attention. If they tried, they could really make the baseball and softball side top ten year in and out.

I liked the SLC when I was an under grad. But UTA (and TXST) out grew the conference while the conference simultaneously was going in a direction that we couldn't support. UTA's athletic philosophy for 2-3 decades know has been to compete in every sport possible. Both is and TXST fully-fund every sport and give them every resource possible to win. Our Athletic Department takes equal pride in a conference championship in any and all sports. I don't know if TXST is the same, but I do know they fully fund.

The SLC is okay with mediocre sports outside of football. Actually, they have been okay with mediocre football, as long as they field a team. UTPA would have been invited had they fielded a team and HBU wouldn't have if they didn't start up a program. They have to DI transitionals only because they have sports teams. They have continually invited schools that have a tiered budget. I was surprised that Oral Roberts wanted to go to the SLC, for that very reason. They were a geographic outlier in either conference and as a I-AAA conference, the Summit seemed to make a better fit for the Golden Eagles.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 09:13 PM by FoUTASportscaster.)
12-05-2013 09:09 PM
Advertisement

MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
ORU went to the Southland at the time because the majority of their students come from the Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana areas.
12-05-2013 09:38 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
Maybe the league is looking to go with just football members. Now that UTA is gone and UNO is restarting football, that leaves ORU and Corpus.

Ive heard rumblings on the D2 level that the Southland might poach another Lone Star Conference school. All or the schools that would make the move (tarleton, a&m commerce, west Texas A&M, Angelo state) play football
12-05-2013 09:52 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(12-05-2013 09:52 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  Maybe the league is looking to go with just football members. Now that UTA is gone and UNO is restarting football, that leaves ORU and Corpus.

Ive heard rumblings on the D2 level that the Southland might poach another Lone Star Conference school. All or the schools that would make the move (tarleton, a&m commerce, west Texas A&M, Angelo state) play football

I would not be surprised if Tarleton and angelo state were interested. they have a history with abilene christian. I thought oru was a good get for the slc because they are usually pretty good in the oly sports and have a strong following. they should go to the mo valley..
12-06-2013 08:48 AM
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(12-06-2013 08:48 AM)runamuck Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 09:52 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  Maybe the league is looking to go with just football members. Now that UTA is gone and UNO is restarting football, that leaves ORU and Corpus.

I would not be surprised if Tarleton and angelo state were interested. they have a history with abilene christian. I thought oru was a good get for the slc because they are usually pretty good in the oly sports and have a strong following. they should go to the mo valley..

sports has not been much of a driving factor at uta. I am a '72 grad..a long time maverick club member..the money and fan support has just not been there in all my time of associating with the school. metroplex fans are fickle and it is hard to get them motivated for anything not perceived as top level. one reason for the drive to leave the slc was the fact that the other schools there are historically regional schools with limited national stature and uta and txst and utsa are all striving for tier one status so one step in that process is to align with schools that are higher up the chain. had the wac stayed together that would have been good for all three. as it is, the sun belt can be a good fit for uta if it stays together. without us having football, we need to up the anti on the other sports..I have been reading of really good recruiting classes in all our sports so maybe we are turning the tide.
12-06-2013 09:11 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama

While I believe the SBC is heading in the right direction, I hope we have the right leadership in place to take us there. Some misguided decisions could deter the growth of this league, IMO.
12-06-2013 01:06 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State

they should go to the mo valley..

We didn't want them in the Valley.
12-06-2013 03:27 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(12-06-2013 03:27 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  

they should go to the mo valley..

We didn't want them in the Valley.

I've read Missouri State isn't interested in the Sun Belt. Is that actually the case?
12-06-2013 03:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.