Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Daily Oklahoman: Football fans resisting high ticket prices?
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Daily Oklahoman: Football fans resisting high ticket prices?
To get a season ticket between the 35 yard lines at Oklahoma State U requires a $1,000 donation. Game tickets range from $80/$100. To watch teams like Lamar and Savannah State? These are not football games. Its homicide!

I believe college football fan attendance is down nationwide as tv production, screen size, sound acoustics, and features continue to expand and enhance the tv experience.

http://newsok.com/bedlam-on-a-budget/article/3911317

SEC DECLINING ATTENDANCE LINK
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 12:08 PM by Tallgrass.)
12-05-2013 11:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Daily Oklahoman: Football fans resisting high ticket prices?
Alabama is jacking my prices, again. They are also jacking my parking price, again.
12-05-2013 11:50 AM
Topkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheCats
I thought that Conference Commish everyone seems to dislike already said its about eyes on TV (lol).
12-05-2013 11:59 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-05-2013 11:50 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Alabama is jacking my prices, again. They are also jacking my parking price, again.

Did you order CCG tickets early? This year they presold Auburn and Alabama tickets to the CCG without waiting on the outcome and sold them the same 16,000 seats. The schools would ding your credit card and if your team lost you would receive a credit a week later. If you won you got your tickets. But the real issue here is interest generated for holding all of that cash (from two schools thereby doubling the short term money for 16,000 seats). It's some of the same reasoning behind some banks not making large deposits available for up to 14 days. Sure they need to check the deposit for legitimacy but the vast majority of the time that is done within 2 days. It's just another way in which they are straining every angle for cash.

These kinds of practices are off-putting to many of the older fans who don't accept their bogus explanations for why such was necessary. The 20 dollar shipping and handling fee for season tickets (which come regular post with a 47 cent stamp and are left in my mailbox instead of requiring verified delivery) would be another. If they want 20 more dollars just add it to the ticket prices. But the hooey behind the whole thing is ridiculous. Add enough of these kinds of things to adoring alumni and the ardor starts to fade, especially when the home experience is constantly getting better.
12-05-2013 12:30 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-05-2013 12:30 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 11:50 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Alabama is jacking my prices, again. They are also jacking my parking price, again.

Did you order CCG tickets early? This year they presold Auburn and Alabama tickets to the CCG without waiting on the outcome and sold them the same 16,000 seats. The schools would ding your credit card and if your team lost you would receive a credit a week later. If you won you got your tickets. But the real issue here is interest generated for holding all of that cash (from two schools thereby doubling the short term money for 16,000 seats). It's some of the same reasoning behind some banks not making large deposits available for up to 14 days. Sure they need to check the deposit for legitimacy but the vast majority of the time that is done within 2 days. It's just another way in which they are straining every angle for cash.

These kinds of practices are off-putting to many of the older fans who don't accept their bogus explanations for why such was necessary. The 20 dollar shipping and handling fee for season tickets (which come regular post with a 47 cent stamp and are left in my mailbox instead of requiring verified delivery) would be another. If they want 20 more dollars just add it to the ticket prices. But the hooey behind the whole thing is ridiculous. Add enough of these kinds of things to adoring alumni and the ardor starts to fade, especially when the home experience is constantly getting better.

Nah, I didn't.

I can hardly ever make the regular season games, much less anything else.

They jacked up my prices across the board for next year though. I have to make the obligatory $2500 gift to the foundation before I can purchase my tickets which are $150 a piece I think, 4 seats. Plus my parking pass doubled. I think it's at $750 or so now.

All up it's a really expensive deal to mess with all of this. The only reason I keep doing it is because if I don't then I lose all of the rights and such to buy the tickets, which is crap.

It bothers me that I essentially have to buy a whole season's worth of tickets just to guarantee that I get to see the few games per year that I am actually interested in, or can make it to.

Our front door security man loves this setup though because he gets most of my tickets.

Oh, almost forgot! What REALLY gets me bent out of shape is the fact that my firm matches any donation I give, so they technically match the $2500, but the University doesn't give me credit, in terms of better purchasing rights etc, for their donation even though it's done in my name. That **** sends me through the roof.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 12:42 PM by HeartOfDixie.)
12-05-2013 12:39 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-05-2013 12:39 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Nah, I didn't.

They jacked up my prices across the board for next year though. I have to make the obligatory $2500 gift to the foundation before I can purchase my tickets which are $150 a piece I think, 4 seats. Plus my parking pass doubled. I think it's at $750 or so now.

All up it's a really expensive deal to mess with all of this. The only reason I keep doing it is because if I don't then I lose all of the rights and such to buy the tickets, which is crap.

It bothers me that I essentially have to buy a whole season's worth of tickets just to guarantee that I get to see the few games per year that I am actually interested in, or can make it to.

Our front door security man loves this setup though because he gets most of my tickets.

It's the same way at Auburn. We spent our years with small children ordering 4. We gave at the half scholarship level back in the day and got 4 good seats for it for $2500 plus tickets. When the kids grew up and moved we dropped out of the scholarship level and contributed the obligatory $1200 for the right to purchase 2 season books. We've been ordering season tickets for 40 plus years now. There have been some years when we had weddings, travel and other events in which we just bought and either resold or gave away tickets because if we had skipped we would have lost our priority if not our right to a guaranteed purchase.

I tell you what has been weighing on my mind though. My old college roommate who lives in Birmingham quit buying season tickets 20 years ago. His family of 4 comes to every game, buys scalped tickets, sits in a slightly better location for most games, and it costs him less than half of what the school is extorting from the rest of us. Sure he might pay $1000 or more for the big game of the year, but most weeks he gets his tickets for less than face value. He's making me believe that I'm nuts for taking the high road.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 12:53 PM by JRsec.)
12-05-2013 12:49 PM
Advertisement

Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
It will be 20 degrees Saturday in Stillwater for OU/OSU (after it warms up from morning). If there is a bit of wind, the wind chill factor will be about 8, which it was a couple days ago. Sleet and ice are forecasted and driving warnings have been issued.

I had a 42 inch HD tv. It was a great tv. I just bought a 70 inch tv with the three Ds, LED, HD, 3D. And sound bar. Viewing this 70 inch tv is like sitting in the Press Box or 50 yard line. This 70 inch tv is a totally different experience! It is not tv. It is a big screen movie experience, a very different enjoyable experience, an experience I never had with the 42 inch tv. As an aside, I paid $800 less for it than the 42 inch.

The tv is by the fireplace as is my recliner. Kitty cat jumps on my lap to sleep as I watch a football game.

I just love this 70 inch tv option.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 12:55 PM by Tallgrass.)
12-05-2013 12:54 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-05-2013 12:49 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Nah, I didn't.

It's the same way at Auburn. We spent our years with small children ordering 4. We gave at the half scholarship level back in the day and got 4 good seats for it for $2500 plus tickets. When the kids grew up and moved we dropped out of the scholarship level and contributed the obligatory $1200 for the right to purchase 2 season books. We've been ordering season tickets for 40 plus years now. There have been some years when we had weddings, travel and other events in which we just bought and either resold or gave away tickets because if we had skipped we would have lost our priority if not our right to a guaranteed purchase.

I tell you what has been weighing on my mind though. My old college roommate who lives in Birmingham quit buying season tickets 20 years ago. His family of 4 comes to every game, buys scalped tickets, sits in a slightly better location for most games, and it costs him less than half of what the school is extorting from the rest of us. Sure he might pay $1000 or more for the big game of the year, but most weeks he gets his tickets for less than face value. He's making me believe that I'm nuts for taking the high road.

I don't buy season tickets. I can always pick up a ticket for half price outside the stadium. I have found I can wait to the last moment, check the weather before making a decision. I park about 3 blocks from the stadium for $20 at the Islamic Center. They always have parking for me and, now and then, I get invited to a great middle eastern meal. I have options....

I am a real old f---. What ticks me off, I have been a loyal fan over my lifetime when the teams I support were not worth a plug nickel most of the time. But I supported the teams and attended games, knowing most times my team would lose...but optimistic we get the upset. Now my teams are financially sucking me like a leach. I am kind of disgusted how college athletics has played out. The true winners are the various coaching staffs and ADs making multiples of the old math, physics, and other professors salaries. Something is just totally wrong here...
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 01:05 PM by Tallgrass.)
12-05-2013 12:58 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

Nah, I didn't.

It all really pisses me off when I get to thinking about it.

The fact that they don't recognize the matching done by my firm gets me to no end as well.

The only benefit I get is that I get to have it easy when I do go but you have to pay out of the nose for it.
12-05-2013 12:59 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-05-2013 12:59 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Nah, I didn't.

The fact that they don't recognize the matching done by my firm gets me to no end as well.

The only benefit I get is that I get to have it easy when I do go but you have to pay out of the nose for it.

The average Alabama and Auburn season ticket holder statistically will spend more on football than they give to all other charities during the calendar year. If our money is truly where our heart is, then our priorities are way, way, out of line. I fell under that conviction 30 years ago and adjusted my charitable giving so that during my working years it outpaced my football spending. In retirement they are about equal again and I'm questioning that. My wife is the reason we keep season tickets now (social life requirement for her). I'm ready to spend whatever to go to the few games I care about and do something more productive with the rest whether that is charity or savings for the grandchildren who will be inheriting a crummy world in which to get started.
12-05-2013 01:08 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-05-2013 01:08 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 12:59 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 12:30 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Did you order CCG tickets early? This year they presold Auburn and Alabama tickets to the CCG without waiting on the outcome and sold them the same 16,000 seats. The schools would ding your credit card and if your team lost you would receive a credit a week later. If you won you got your tickets. But the real issue here is interest generated for holding all of that cash (from two schools thereby doubling the short term money for 16,000 seats). It's some of the same reasoning behind some banks not making large deposits available for up to 14 days. Sure they need to check the deposit for legitimacy but the vast majority of the time that is done within 2 days. It's just another way in which they are straining every angle for cash.

Nah, I didn't.

The average Alabama and Auburn season ticket holder statistically will spend more on football than they give to all other charities during the calendar year. If our money is truly where our heart is, then our priorities are way, way, out of line. I fell under that conviction 30 years ago and adjusted my charitable giving so that during my working years it outpaced my football spending. In retirement they are about equal again and I'm questioning that. My wife is the reason we keep season tickets now (social life requirement for her). I'm ready to spend whatever to go to the few games I care about and do something more productive with the rest whether that is charity or savings for the grandchildren who will be inheriting a crummy world in which to get started.

It's pretty crummy; I agree.

I keep them because I enjoy going. I'm a bit on the other end in the age range. I enjoyed having them to take people to. Now it seems though that only one girl will be going with me for the foreseeable future.

Most of my charitable giving goes through the Archdiocese.
12-05-2013 01:12 PM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(12-05-2013 12:54 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  It will be 20 degrees Saturday in Stillwater for OU/OSU (after it warms up from morning). If there is a bit of wind, the wind chill factor will be about 8, which it was a couple days ago. Sleet and ice are forecasted and driving warnings have been issued.

I had a 42 inch HD tv. It was a great tv. I just bought a 70 inch tv with the three Ds, LED, HD, 3D. And sound bar. Viewing this 70 inch tv is like sitting in the Press Box or 50 yard line. This 70 inch tv is a totally different experience! It is not tv. It is a big screen movie experience, a very different enjoyable experience, an experience I never had with the 42 inch tv. As an aside, I paid $800 less for it than the 42 inch.

The tv is by the fireplace as is my recliner. Kitty cat jumps on my lap to sleep as I watch a football game.

And the food and beverages are much cheaper too...04-cheers
12-05-2013 01:40 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
(12-05-2013 01:40 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 12:54 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  It will be 20 degrees Saturday in Stillwater for OU/OSU (after it warms up from morning). If there is a bit of wind, the wind chill factor will be about 8, which it was a couple days ago. Sleet and ice are forecasted and driving warnings have been issued.

And is it just me, or are the commercial breaks much more noticeable and annoying when you're actually at the event? At home, at least I can channel surf, do a bio break, get more food/drink, etc and the breaks are much less noticeable. Particularly when I DVR the game and start watching it a little bit late to allow me to catch up to live action later in the game and skip the early commercials.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 02:38 PM by BewareThePhog.)
12-05-2013 02:38 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Coaches are way over paid and the high cost of women sports, which nobody real watch, have driven up football and men's basketball ticket prices. They will soon kill the goose that laid the golden egg. 07-coffee3
12-05-2013 02:41 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(12-05-2013 02:41 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Coaches are way over paid and the high cost of women sports, which nobody real watch, have driven up football and men's basketball ticket prices. They will soon kill the goose that laid the golden egg. 07-coffee3

I'd imagine the coaching staff at Alabama, et al makes more than is spent on all women's sports, combined.

That, and the cost of facilities (Indoor Practice Facilities, new weight-rooms, study halls, etc) has been through the roof at many schools.
12-05-2013 03:46 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-05-2013 02:38 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 01:40 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

And is it just me, or are the commercial breaks much more noticeable and annoying when you're actually at the event? At home, at least I can channel surf, do a bio break, get more food/drink, etc and the breaks are much less noticeable. Particularly when I DVR the game and start watching it a little bit late to allow me to catch up to live action later in the game and skip the early commercials.

I also surf, using the commercial breaks to surf and check on other games I am interested in.
12-05-2013 03:51 PM
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
If I have my way and I will. I'll never go to another game. It's not the cost. Its the pee smelling drunks that are rudding up next to you. Because everyone is cramed in the stadium like sardines.
12-05-2013 03:53 PM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
Agree there is nothing like being at the game. The experience is fantastic. But I do get the anger from fans due to the issue of schools burning through their fan base through the abusive practices surrounding the cost of tickets and attendance. The concept of seat licenses (or scholarship donations) as a requirement is ridiculous and extortionate. I would never pay $2500 for the RIGHT to buy a football game ticket. Plus, scheduling of games to meet television demands is hurting attendance, as well. I get it that the costs of running a program (salaries, size of coaching staff, facilities) are enormous, but I do understand why some folks are considering their commitment, when the game is likely going to be on TV anyway.
12-05-2013 03:55 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
I agree, I have miss maybe 5 home games at Louisville since 1971. I have had at least 4 season tickets since 1976 and as may as 7 at the peak. I currently have 5 season tickets right now, but will back to 7 again next year for my 2 granddaughters. Also all my seats require donations. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 12:48 AM by Wilkie01.)
12-05-2013 11:49 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
At SMU, I'm near the goal line in the front row ... the closest seats in the stadium to the playing field.

The seats are $275 each for 6 games. That's approximately $45/game. Parking is free.

I think my seats are fairly priced. But compared to pro sports, these seats are the best bargain in Dallas-Fort Worth.
12-06-2013 12:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.