Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Things to work on
Bruin2002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Belmont
Things to work on
We have a tough bunch of kids who are fun to watch, but there are a couple of things that I know Byrd is working on. I hope we can get some of these under control quickly before the OVC begins.

Here are a couple of things I hope we improve on.

1. Fouls in the paint. We do 2 things that get us in trouble. We leave our feet when the opposing player is coming toward us and we bump into the player when they are shooting. After a Lang foul last night, I saw an animated Byrd showing him to just keep his hands up. At 6-11 and a wing span that can draw rain, he adjusts opposing shots with his size. Drew tends to bump the other player with his midsection as they go up for a shot. And Blake tends to jump to get a monster block when a player is coming at him. I would like to see him take a charge a few more times.

2. Pulling the trigger too quickly on some trips down the floor. Several years back, I saw a stat that showed that FG percentage improved after 5 passes. Byrd tends to like to see the players pass a few times, set a play, and then shoot a good shot. A few times this year, we get a little panicky and take a quick shot which in many cases doesn't end up well (except for JJ at the end of a game). Byrd usually calls a time out and gets the players under control and play improves.

3. JJ seems to shoot a lot better when the pressure is on. Its usually when we fall behind (or about to fall behind) especially near the end of the game. Other than that, he can be a little inconsistent. I think we should not allow him to look at a scoreboard and at every stoppage of time, Byrd should tell him that there are only a couple minutes left and we need a couple of threes to catch up. :)
12-04-2013 01:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ClemsonBrad Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Things to work on
(12-04-2013 01:25 PM)Bruin2002 Wrote:  We have a tough bunch of kids who are fun to watch, but there are a couple of things that I know Byrd is working on. I hope we can get some of these under control quickly before the OVC begins.

1. Fouls in the paint. We do 2 things that get us in trouble. We leave our feet when the opposing player is coming toward us and we bump into the player when they are shooting. After a Lang foul last night, I saw an animated Byrd showing him to just keep his hands up. At 6-11 and a wing span that can draw rain, he adjusts opposing shots with his size. Drew tends to bump the other player with his midsection as they go up for a shot. And Blake tends to jump to get a monster block when a player is coming at him. I would like to see him take a charge a few more times.

2. Pulling the trigger too quickly on some trips down the floor. Several years back, I saw a stat that showed that FG percentage improved after 5 passes. Byrd tends to like to see the players pass a few times, set a play, and then shoot a good shot. A few times this year, we get a little panicky and take a quick shot which in many cases doesn't end up well (except for JJ at the end of a game). Byrd usually calls a time out and gets the players under control and play improves.

3. JJ seems to shoot a lot better when the pressure is on. Its usually when we fall behind (or about to fall behind) especially near the end of the game. Other than that, he can be a little inconsistent. I think we should not allow him to look at a scoreboard and at every stoppage of time, Byrd should tell him that there are only a couple minutes left and we need a couple of threes to catch up. :)

Good Stuff. I agree.
12-04-2013 04:55 PM
ClemsonBrad Offline
Water Engineer

(12-04-2013 01:25 PM)Bruin2002 Wrote:  We have a tough bunch of kids who are fun to watch, but there are a couple of things that I know Byrd is working on. I hope we can get some of these under control quickly before the OVC begins.

Good Stuff. I agree.
12-04-2013 04:56 PM
BruinsFan31 Offline
Bench Warmer

Fouling is definitely our number one problem. But that's going to be a hard one to control during our out of conference play when we are playing bigger, quicker, and more athletic teams. I think our foul struggles will improve when we enter conference play.
12-04-2013 10:53 PM
Advertisement

ClemsonBrad Offline
Water Engineer

(12-04-2013 10:53 PM)BruinsFan31 Wrote:  Fouling is definitely our number one problem. But that's going to be a hard one to control during our out of conference play when we are playing bigger, quicker, and more athletic teams. I think our foul struggles will improve when we enter conference play.

I've been very happy so happy with our defensive post play. We are not nearly as big and strong as many teams we face, and though MTSU and UNC had their ways with us at times down low, we really have played pretty tough d for the most part. I agree that rebounding definitely needs to improve, but I think once we get into conference, we will be facing competition that fits us better.
12-05-2013 01:03 PM
T-W Offline
Water Engineer

1) I don't disagree that our main focus is staying out of foul trouble and the majority of that is on the players themselves, but Blake and Drew (especially) have been called for some of the most phantom/softest calls I've ever seen. With that being said, allowing another big to score inside is better than either of those two picking up a foul.

2) I don't disagree, but I don't think Rick has a problem with quick shots as long their open looks. Certain guys going 1 on 3 in transition or pull-ups on ball screens with 25 on the shot clock are simply rarely good looks if it isn't crunch time or 2 for 1 scenarios.

3) Spot on. JJ isn't shooting it all that great given the amount of shots he's putting up. He needed to hoist it against MTSU and I'm awfully glad he was feeling it, but previous to that game JJ has struggled for the year. 15 shots a game sounds about right, but when Reece and Bradshaw return I wouldn't mind that shot selection improving a bit. With that being said, I think JJ is absolutely vital defensively to this team as someone has innate instincts to rebound and, especially, steal the basketball. I've never seen a defender with more active hands. Almost makes up for his shot selection. (I apologize if that is too nit picky, I really do love JJ's game).

I'd also like to add a 4th point to this list...

4) Post entry feeds -- we need MORE. Every team since UNC has switch Drew's ball screens for fear of him popping the trey. He deserves the touches inside and it has to get there more frequently. Bradds has exceptional footwork in the post and has proven he can score with either hand. Get him the rock! Moreover, Drew and Evan are great passers from the post, whether to cutters or shooters. Then we've got Blake. He gets to any spot he wants in the post and he's scoring at a very high efficiency (per usual). Our bigs willing set screens all game long, they battle in the post in our 4 out set and I'd like to see them get rewarded a bit more. Have some patience looking down low before swing it and ask them to work more, especially when it's 6' on 6'8"

That's my two cents. If you read all that, I think you dig this team as much as I do (a lot) This team's heart is undeniable and they are a collective group you want to see win every game because of the way they play. Can't wait til we're healthy again too!
12-05-2013 11:25 PM
Bruin2002 Offline
Special Teams

Re: Things to work on
I agree with you assessment of JJ's defense. I also like your point 4.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
12-06-2013 07:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.