colorado
washington
ucla
cal
stanford
norte dame
usc

10 game conference schedule.
-each team plays their division. one school from each division. and a second school from their "rival" division. the division rivals are east-west & north-south

4 division winners advance to conference playoffs

the b10 gets to use the cotton, rose bowls, & a 3rd bowl of their choosing for their conf. playoffs

sec
division A
west virginia
wake forest
virginia
duke
virginia tech
north carolina
nc state

division B
LSU
south carolina
clemson
florida
georgia
auburn
alabama

division C
vanderbilt
ole miss
miss state
florida state
georgia tech
tennessee
kentucky

division D
arkansas
texas tech
okie state
oklahoma
iowa state
kansas
kansas state.

divisions A & D will have rotating rivals divisions B & C have fixed rivals that they will play each year. those rivals are
ole miss-lsu
uga-gtech
tenn-bama
auburn-msu
kentucky-south carolina
clemson-vandy
florida-fsu

10 game conference schedule. 6 division games + 1 team from each division + a fixed rival (or 2nd rotating rival)

4 division winners advance to conference playoffs. sec gets sugar, orange & peach bowl as playoff sites

pac-12
Division A
oregon
oregon state
idaho
washington state
boise state
nevada
unlv
san jose
fresno
san diego state

Division B
utah
byu
utah state
houston
rice
tcu
smu
baylor
tulane
tulsa

Division C
wyoming
colorado st.
air force
army
navy
new mexico
new mexico state
arizona
arizona state
UTEP

Division D
hawaii
memphis
cincy
louisville
ECU
temple
uconn
USF
UCF
umass

10 game conf schedule 9 division games + 1 out of division team

4 division winners advance to conference playoffs

playoffs. (football final four)
pac-12 champ,
sec champ,
b10 champ
+1 at large (highest in the BCS)

what happens to the mac?
-they become the best FCS conference, replace umass with marshall. add the powerhouse dakota & montana schools. the reason why i excluded them is because the b10 is already struggling. the last thing i wanted was to elevate the mac at the cost of the b10 regardless of how little damage it does to the b10. for the b10 to remain a strong conference they need a monopoly on the midwest. they have already taken a huge hit with the population losses and getting rid of the mac could help offset that to a certain degree.

unlike their aac & mwc counterparts the mac doesnt have any real rivalries with power schools & top g5 schools. so its really hard to make a case for why those g5/power schools should go out of their way to include them

why the heavy emphasis on western schools?
-there is a lot of population growth in the west and unlike the south the west isnt as saturated with power schools. i see a lot of potential in the likes of fresno state, colorado state, & utah state that i dont see in schools like troy, southern miss, or FIU

-i wanted to include as many of the primary & secondary state schools as possible. the setup allows for about an even amount of western & eastern schools in this new division which will be more reflective of the population demographics over the next 50 years.

-the difference between the western & eastern g5 schools is that most of the western g5 schools have been at the d1 level since its incorporation, have strong rivalries with each other, and strong rivalries with other power schools & top g5 schools. rivalries really is one of the more under rated things that get looked at in conf. realignment. conferences like strong interlocked schools who are a good cultural fit and the western schools do that a lot better than most eastern schools.

-if they dont get a d4 bid these programs will literally die. taking all the power schools and maybe the 5 best g5 schools from the west would leave only a few schools left over. and what becomes of those schools?

in the east you would have about 25-35 fbs schools left over but no more than 5-10 in the west. how do you expect hawaii to survive like that? most of the FCS & fbs schools are located in the east. ohio could easily rebuild itself without a d4 bid in an FCS based conference with this setup. utah state & idaho wouldnt have a chance in the west.

why so many schools?
i think we will either see very small conf realignment moves (like the b12 adding just 2 schools) or massive realignment moves (like the sec absorbing all the acc) over the next 20 years.

we are at the point where the schools of value (the cali-4, va/nc acc schools) wont make any changes unless you include all of them.

I wanted to keep as many rivalries as possible as well as those teams who have extended history at the d1 level. there is that eyeball test of "does this school deserve to be in" that i used based on a schools history

WTF is up with oregon, texas & texas a&m
as you can see i put heavy weight in b10 academics. i needed the b10 to have a texas pipeline to help save UNL from falling off the edge recruiting wise. texas & aggie are large research flagship state schools and are as much of a cultural fit in the b10 as they are with the sec in this sort of setup. oregon got the shaft because they lack academics. however I think they are very well off playing arizona, utah, byu, bsu etc. they are given the easiest path to the final four.

best teams not included
buffalo
arkansas st.
ohio

my previous version did not include tulane, utep, umass or tulsa. those were the last 4 schools in
12-03-2013 05:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: Conference realignment/d4 proposal
Your conference realignment proposal is damn unique, but then again so is having a second head. Neither are preferable.
12-03-2013 05:56 PM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
[Image: 235lp0.gif]
12-03-2013 06:06 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(12-03-2013 05:56 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Your conference realignment proposal is damn unique, but then again so is having a second head. Neither are preferable.

yeah i figured an NIU fan wouldnt like it
12-03-2013 06:09 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Allow me to put this diplomatically.....Effffffffff that! 03-wink

But seriously, that conference would be pure misery for A&M.

While those are all fine academic schools, but beyond UT we have absolutely no shared history or culture with those schools. Our attendance for B12 north schools not named NU was always terrible and this is that on steroids.

That setup would kill our program
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 06:27 PM by 10thMountain.)
12-03-2013 06:26 PM
john01992 Offline

(12-03-2013 06:26 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Allow me to put this diplomatically.....Effffffffff that! 03-wink

But seriously, that conference would be pure misery for A&M.

While those are all fine academic schools, but beyond UT we have absolutely no shared history or culture with those schools. Our attendance for B12 north schools not named NU was always terrible and this is that on steroids.

That setup would kill our program

yeah i was thinking this as well. only way the aggies go for this is with a gun to their heads.

however in the thick of things and taking d4 into an account as a whole. theres really not a lot of options for aggie. you think aggie gets screwed in the b10? arkansas gets screwed in the sec even worse. the whole point of this is that the conferences are becoming to big so the problems get fixed by making the conferences even bigger and restoring the old conferences in part through the divisions.

for aggie the choice is:
texas, northwestern, nebraska, purdue, iu, illinois. (get osu or michigan + a msu or wisky each year )

or

oklahoma, okie state, isu, kansas, kansas st. arkansas (2 acc schools from NC or VA)

which would you rather have?

the texas schools were one of the hardest area's to figure out. but trust me. things could be a lot worse for aggie than the b10
12-03-2013 07:35 PM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Hawaii, Uconn and UCF in the same division? Why not throw in Alaska and call it the 4-corners division?

80+% of the US population is in the Eastern and Central time zones. >20% is in the Pacific and Mountain.
12-03-2013 08:00 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Well thankfully that scenario is totally unrealistic because almost nobody would agree to it. The B1G is a great conference but A&M does not fit there and never would. Neither does UT either really.
12-03-2013 08:02 PM
john01992 Offline

(12-03-2013 08:00 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  Hawaii, Uconn and UCF in the same division? Why not throw in Alaska and call it the 4-corners division?

80+% of the US population is in the Eastern and Central time zones. >20% is in the Pacific and Mountain.

yeah i know. and it would be a great LOL.

the way i see it => once you get on a plane like that might as well go the distance.

but in all seriousness this is a football only affiliation for hawaii and lucky we are only talking a trip every other week on hawaii and just one trip for each team every other year. thats not gonna break the bank.

if anything the prospects of playing in hawaii in December could be a recruiting advantage for schools like uconn umass & temple which play in the northeast
12-03-2013 08:08 PM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
(12-03-2013 08:00 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  Hawaii, Uconn and UCF in the same division? Why not throw in Alaska and call it the 4-corners division?

So more than 100% of the US population lives within the four time zones of the lower 48?

Damn.

04-cheers
12-03-2013 08:08 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
Interesting concept. It's a lot of the same for the P12 schools though. I'd cut Idaho or Umass - send to fcs, and move the service academies to indy.

The service academies would then have 2 automatic games and need 8 more. The D4 could contract it so everyone has to play them before another team plays twice. So 30 games a year, each school would play a service academy roughly every three years. ----- that would really help them with their mission to, to recruit nation wide. Puts them in every state across The U.S. - and it frees up a game for pac members. They would also receive the at-large tie in if BCS ranking is above any of the conference champions.
12-03-2013 08:09 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
This thread is a fuc-in' joke. It's written by a kid that doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.
12-03-2013 08:15 PM
john01992 Offline

(12-03-2013 08:09 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  Interesting concept. It's a lot of the same for the P12 schools though. I'd cut Idaho or Umass - send to fcs, and move the service academies to indy.

The service academies would then have 2 automatic games and need 8 more. The D4 could contract it so everyone has to play them before another team plays twice. So 30 games a year, each school would play a service academy roughly every three years. ----- that would really help them with their mission to, to recruit nation wide. Puts them in every state across The U.S. - and it frees up a game for pac members. They would also receive the at-large tie in if BCS ranking is above any of the conference champions.

the problem with that is i really wanted to keep air forces historical ties to the MWC
12-03-2013 08:25 PM
john01992 Offline

(12-03-2013 08:15 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  This thread is a fuc-in' joke. It's written by a kid that doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

hey i included uconn with your aac buddies and even threw in umass for ya
12-03-2013 08:27 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(12-03-2013 08:08 PM)john01992 Wrote:  the way i see it => once you get on a plane like that might as well go the distance.

How silly of us to think that flying involves more than take-offs and landings, and that a flight of five hours is nothing like a flight of two hours.

How silly of us to think that a college athlete relegated to coach class for a long trip after three hours of bus time to the airport, security and waiting time before the flight may just have some impact on performance.

How silly of us to think that landing, disembarkation, getting to the hotel, checking in to the room and then dinner are just little things that can be tossed into the "flights" from Honolulu to Boston, or Chicago to LA.

Classes be damned! Timezones an afterthought! Hope the equipment makes it cross-country! Accommodate the traveling fan base - that's redonkulous!

Because they "might as well go the distance!"

You've clearly never competed or worked at any level that would give you any insight into NCAA Athletics. And even your fan interpretations give rational posters great pause.
12-03-2013 08:34 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(12-03-2013 08:27 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(12-03-2013 08:15 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  This thread is a fuc-in' joke. It's written by a kid that doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

I see that now ... I just read "Division D" for UConn and thought it was another slam at UConn. You've been dissing UConn for about a year. This post continues that pattern, but it's not as bad as I originally thought.

I apologize.
12-03-2013 08:48 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline

(12-03-2013 08:34 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(12-03-2013 08:08 PM)john01992 Wrote:  the way i see it => once you get on a plane like that might as well go the distance.

How silly of us to think that flying involves more than take-offs and landings, and that a flight of five hours is nothing like a flight of two hours.

How silly of us to think that a college athlete relegated to coach class for a long trip after three hours of bus time to the airport, security and waiting time before the flight may just have some impact on performance.

How silly of us to think that landing, disembarkation, getting to the hotel, checking in to the room and then dinner are just little things that can be tossed into the "flights" from Honolulu to Boston, or Chicago to LA.

Classes be damned! Timezones an afterthought! Hope the equipment makes it cross-country! Accommodate the traveling fan base - that's redonkulous!

Because they "might as well go the distance!"

You've clearly never competed or worked at any level that would give you any insight into NCAA Athletics. And even your fan interpretations give rational posters great pause.

every time hawaii gets on a plane they automatically have to cross the pacific meaning its a 5 hr flight at least. west coast vs east coast ==> either way its still a massive travel time so saying that they should be limited to just the west coast is kinda ridiculous.

im not saying its gonna be easy.....but whats the alternative? the survival of hawaii depends on their continuing to play g5 type schools and in this setup thats the only way for them to do it. you could insert them into the western divisions but then you are screwing with traditional rivalries

a nice compromise would be to switch sdsu to zona's division, drop utep. add buffalo to hawaii's division and insert hawaii in sdsu's old spot however you are talking almost no reduction in travel time.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 10:14 PM by john01992.)
12-03-2013 10:14 PM
john01992 Offline

(12-03-2013 08:48 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(12-03-2013 08:27 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

I see that now ... I just read "Division D" for UConn and thought it was another slam at UConn. You've been dissing UConn for about a year. This post continues that pattern, but it's not as bad as I originally thought.

I apologize.

well apology accepted. i have uconn in pretty much the exact same spot as they are now
12-03-2013 10:15 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
(12-03-2013 08:25 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(12-03-2013 08:09 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  Interesting concept. It's a lot of the same for the P12 schools though. I'd cut Idaho or Umass - send to fcs, and move the service academies to indy.

the problem with that is i really wanted to keep air forces historical ties to the MWC

Yeah but mission of the U.S. Military Academies to recruit top cades or historical MWC ties?

Plus they'll have their ties with Navy/Army.

And I know... "they're in MWC now, if that's such a big deal why aren't they indy?" Well if I was in charge of the service academies I'd have all of them traveling across the country/bringing in other teams to campus. -- Got to get as many people interested as possible. I know it's a message board but it's your chance to shine with a serious proposal. 04-cheers
12-03-2013 10:35 PM
john01992 Offline

(12-03-2013 10:35 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  
(12-03-2013 08:25 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

Yeah but mission of the U.S. Military Academies to recruit top cades or historical MWC ties?

Plus they'll have their ties with Navy/Army.

And I know... "they're in MWC now, if that's such a big deal why aren't they indy?" Well if I was in charge of the service academies I'd have all of them traveling across the country/bringing in other teams to campus. -- Got to get as many people interested as possible. I know it's a message board but it's your chance to shine with a serious proposal. 04-cheers

air force & csu have played each other since practically the formation of air force football & the days of colorado a&m. these two schools really fed off each other in the early days and are responsible for each others growth. keeping air force & colorado state together was just as important as keeping army/navy.

so automatically the base of this conference was going to be the 3 academies plus csu & their rival wyoming. add in the arizona & new mexico schools (plus utep) and thats how this particular division came about.

i wanted a division that was easy enough for the arizona schools to dominate. however its really lacking in population which is why the 3 academies which bring a national television audience is so important.
12-03-2013 11:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.