Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chuck Martin is the new Miami HC
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Chuck Martin is the new Miami HC
While it won't shake up college football like Sark's hire at USC will, it's still a big hire for the MAC. It might take a few years to clean up the mess Treadwell has left, but I'm thrilled about this choice. I'm thinking that he'll make somewhere in the range of $600,000, he made $400k at ND. This is also the first time since Woody Hayes that we have a head coach with prior college HC experience.

Before Miami, he was Brian Kelly's DC when he was at Grand Valley State. Once Kelly left for CMU, he took over at GVSU, where he went 74-7 with two DII titles. 04-jawdrop

Once Kelly left for ND, he rejoined him to become the OC/QB coach/recruiting coordinator at ND.

http://footballscoop.com/news/11808-chuc...miami-ohio
http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker
12-03-2013 01:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
RE: Chuck Martin is the new Miami HC
Good guy, high energy. He should do a good job at Miami.

I wish him well.
12-03-2013 01:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goherd17 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
good hire he was one person I wanted when Marshall hired Doc Holliday
12-03-2013 01:49 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
The best part about Martin is that he's already 46 y/o.

By the time he gets the rebuilding job done he's going to be 50+ and that is close to the age where P5 schools start to question if he's too old for a move up. I would say 52 is about the oldest they would consider.
12-03-2013 01:57 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Good hire
12-03-2013 02:48 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(12-03-2013 01:57 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  The best part about Martin is that he's already 46 y/o.

By the time he gets the rebuilding job done he's going to be 50+ and that is close to the age where P5 schools start to question if he's too old for a move up. I would say 52 is about the oldest they would consider.

I would say if he's not gotten it done by the time he's 50, he's not going to get it done. That'd be 4 years.
12-03-2013 04:28 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

(12-03-2013 01:57 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  The best part about Martin is that he's already 46 y/o.

Anyone who turns around Miami will get attention from P5 schools, if Martin builds us into a consistent winner then it's just a matter of time before he leaves (he left GVSU just to be an OC at Notre Dame). His job is to come in, get to a bowl or two, and leave us in a position where the next coach will sustain his success (see Boise State prior to Peterson or NIU before Carey). We're pretty much where we were after Shane Montgomery was gone, only a lot worse because we didn't follow through on Haywood's replacement.
12-03-2013 05:04 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2013 05:04 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  

Anyone who turns around Miami will get attention from P5 schools, if Martin builds us into a consistent winner then it's just a matter of time before he leaves (he left GVSU just to be an OC at Notre Dame). His job is to come in, get to a bowl or two, and leave us in a position where the next coach will sustain his success (see Boise State prior to Peterson or NIU before Carey). We're pretty much where we were after Shane Montgomery was gone, only a lot worse because we didn't follow through on Haywood's replacement.

How many years do you give him to get to a bowl?

The East is kind of packed at the top with good programs that will retain their coach Solich (Ohio), Quinn (Buffalo), Clawson (BGSU). Terry Bowden has a 2 year head start on the rebuilding process with Akron and looks like the next program to rise to the bowl level.

Clawson with a 31-31 overall record at BG will have to stay a few more years or accept a marginal P5 opening like Indiana if he's going to move on. Quinn is 17-30 overall and he's 51. He may be the kind of guy who pulls a Bill Cubit and hangs around for 8 or 9 years before they get tired of him. Solich and Bowden are too old to go anywhere.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 05:23 PM by Kittonhead.)
12-03-2013 05:17 PM
bostonspider Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Richmond
(12-03-2013 05:17 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  The East is kind of packed at the top with good programs that will retain their coach Solich (Ohio), Quinn (Buffalo), Clawson (BGSU). Terry Bowden has a 2 year head start on the rebuilding process with Akron and looks like the next program to rise to the bowl level.

Clawson with a 31-31 overall record at BG will have to stay a few more years or accept a marginal P5 opening like Indiana if he's going to move on. Quinn is 17-30 overall and he's 51. He may be the kind of guy who pulls a Bill Cubit and hangs around for 8 or 9 years before they get tired of him. Solich and Bowden are too old to go anywhere.

I could see Clawson being a candidate at Wake Forest this year or UVA next season if London gets the ax.
12-03-2013 05:43 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

(12-03-2013 05:17 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

The East is kind of packed at the top with good programs that will retain their coach Solich (Ohio), Quinn (Buffalo), Clawson (BGSU). Terry Bowden has a 2 year head start on the rebuilding process with Akron and looks like the next program to rise to the bowl level.

If BG wins the MACC, on Friday, Clawson could be on the next flight to UConn to take their job. He might not stand out like Lembo has, but he could very well be on some short lists of lower P5 or upper G5 programs. Winning eight and nine games in back-to-back seasons will attract attention.

I think Bobby Hauck at UNLV should be the expectation. He took over a crap team at a basketball school and led them to three two-win seasons in a row. They were getting blown out by the likes of Idaho and Southern Utah when he started out, now he's got them bowling. It's hard to say whether they were in a worse position than we are now, next year will tell us whether the players or development/coaching was the main problem under Treadwell. If it's the former, we need to buckle down and give him time to make a Hauck-like transformation. If it's the latter, we should anticipate (but not necessarily demand) a faster turnaround.
12-03-2013 05:44 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2013 05:44 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
(12-03-2013 05:17 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

If BG wins the MACC, on Friday, Clawson could be on the next flight to UConn to take their job. He might not stand out like Lembo has, but he could very well be on some short lists of lower P5 or upper G5 programs. Winning eight and nine games in back-to-back seasons will attract attention.

Clawson might be able to snag UConn because he's coached in the Northeast before. Its a G5 job but BG is only a middle of the road job in the MAC.

Lembo has the type of W/L record a P5 would be interested in like Wake Forest and proven ability to win at smaller schools. If he can whip Virginia while at Ball State imagine what he can do at Wake Forest.

That still leaves somewhat of a log jam in the East with Quinn, Solich and Bowden. BG and Kent may be pretty competitive too.

Solich is running football camps across the state now and has 6-8 of the Ohio top 100 prospects committed. Its taken him a few years to get his program to break through on the recruiting front and now he has a new IPF to help further the programs stock. I've said before Miami is now a decade behind Ohio's program and its reflected in Ohio winning 7 of the last 8 in the series.
12-03-2013 06:01 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

Yet you still haven't won the MAC since LBJ was in office...
12-03-2013 06:10 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2013 06:10 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Yet you still haven't won the MAC since LBJ was in office...

Close a few times though; 1976, 1997, 2011

The thinking is now Solich is going to retire in 3 more years. Once that happens I expect Ohio to bring in another veteran FBS coach like Bo Pelini of Nebraska if he gets fired.

You won't see anything small time out of us like bringing in an FCS coach for 250k a year or anything like that. It will be a high end coaching hire paid even more than what we have Frank Solich at now.
12-03-2013 06:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.