Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Not a Newell hater in the slightest
Bookmark and Share
Ynocpirt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UALR Trojans
Sad Not a Newell hater in the slightest
But I have to laugh at comments who talk about the great attendance we had back then and then accuse others of revising history.05-nono
12-02-2013 09:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: Not a Newell hater in the slightest
Did they even record attendance back then?
12-02-2013 09:16 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(12-02-2013 09:16 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Did they even record attendance back then?

It was about as accurate back then as it is now. Vastly overstated. But I'm here to tell you for sure that there were more games with much better attendance during Newell's era. Of course we won more on a regular basis during Newell's era, so that certainly helped.
12-02-2013 09:57 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
Were we bursting at the seams with throngs of people in Barton? No. But I definitely remember bigger crowds. The Xavier game comes to mind as a real biggie, attendance-wise.
12-04-2013 08:10 PM
Ynocpirt Offline
Special Teams

(12-02-2013 09:57 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(12-02-2013 09:16 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Did they even record attendance back then?

It was about as accurate back then as it is now. Vastly overstated. But I'm here to tell you for sure that there were more games with much better attendance during Newell's era. Of course we won more on a regular basis during Newell's era, so that certainly helped.

Many more of those 75 dollar season ticket holders.
12-04-2013 08:12 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-04-2013 08:12 PM)Ynocpirt Wrote:  

You may not be a Newell hater Jim, but you are without a doubt a Shields lover, come hell or high water. You just can't force yourself to admit that Newell was a better coach and his teams played much more exciting basketball than Shields teams do.

Sure tickets were cheaper then, and now are too damn high for the quality of product that we've being given, but what was the price of gas twenty-five or thirty years ago? People knew a good product when they saw it, and went out to a dirty old arena, with insulation hanging down, and in a bad part of town to go to the games because they won, and played exciting basketball. Now we have a state of the art arena, and we can't draw 3,000 a game. Of course that's probably because of the price of gas now. Right Jim?

People want winners and they want to watch exciting basketball, and evidently it didn't make a big difference to many fans that we were in the TAAC. Now it evidently doesn't excite many that we're a mediocre program, have very mediocre coach of eleven years, and are usually about the 3rd or 4th best team in a primarily weak Sun Belt Conference . Win baby, that's the name of the game.

And you're the guy that wants to accuse others of wanting to revise history.
12-04-2013 08:47 PM
Advertisement

Ynocpirt Offline
Special Teams

(12-04-2013 08:47 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

You may not be a Newell hater Jim, but you are without a doubt a Shields lover, come hell or high water. You just can't force yourself to admit that Newell was a better coach and his teams played much more exciting basketball than Shields teams do.

Sure tickets were cheaper then, and now are too damn high for the quality of product that we've being given, but what was the price of gas twenty-five or thirty years ago? People knew a good product when they saw it, and went out to a dirty old arena, with insulation hanging down, and in a bad part of town to go to the games because they won, and played exciting basketball. Now we have a state of the art arena, and we can't draw 3,000 a game. Of course that's probably because of the price of gas now. Right Jim?

People want winners and they want to watch exciting basketball, and evidently it didn't make a big difference to many fans that we were in the TAAC. Now it evidently doesn't excite many that we're a mediocre program, have very mediocre coach of eleven years, and are usually about the 3rd or 4th best team in a primarily weak Sun Belt Conference . Win baby, that's the name of the game.

Just laugh at those who fawn over all the 75 dollar season ticket sales and then say others are revising history. Nothing to do with liking Steve. Hard to ignore the fact that I had to beg people to buy those cheapies after Newell just about ended our program . . . without revising history. Which part of coaching do you believe Newell exceeded Steve in? Couldn't draw 1500 when we were at the Convention Center . . .
even with the cheapie tickets. If you think the basketball games were more exciting back then, that's fine. More revisionist history. We all prefer winners. Duh. We all like to watch exciting basketball. What's your point? Once again, I just can't root for us to lose.
12-04-2013 10:58 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-04-2013 10:58 PM)Ynocpirt Wrote:  

Just laugh at those who fawn over all the 75 dollar season ticket sales and then say others are revising history. Nothing to do with liking Steve. Hard to ignore the fact that I had to beg people to buy those cheapies after Newell just about ended our program . . . without revising history. Which part of coaching do you believe Newell exceeded Steve in? Couldn't draw 1500 when we were at the Convention Center . . .
even with the cheapie tickets. If you think the basketball games were more exciting back then, that's fine. More revisionist history. We all prefer winners. Duh. We all like to watch exciting basketball. What's your point? Once again, I just can't root for us to lose.

Just pick any phase of the coaching game and you'll answer you're own question. You're bound to be a better lawyer than you are at estimating the attendance at basketball games, or you wouldn't still be in business. Must have disliked Newell pretty bad Jim.

What do you mean with "what's your point"? I think I made my point pretty clear.
12-04-2013 11:25 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(12-04-2013 11:25 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(12-02-2013 09:57 PM)PTJR Wrote:  It was about as accurate back then as it is now. Vastly overstated. But I'm here to tell you for sure that there were more games with much better attendance during Newell's era. Of course we won more on a regular basis during Newell's era, so that certainly helped.

Just pick any phase of the coaching game and you'll answer you're own question. You're bound to be a better lawyer than you are at estimating the attendance at basketball games, or you wouldn't still be in business. Must have disliked Newell pretty bad Jim.

What do you mean with "what's your point"? I think I made my point pretty clear.

Look, attendance sucked during most of the Newell era. Yes, we had occasional big crowds when we gave away a truck full of groceries, had Houston and Xavier come in, played in the NIT. For meaningless nonconference games it was no better than we draw now. I will agree that on average it was better than it is now. But cable television was just beginning, VCR's were just coming out, Pong was the big video game, and Red Box and On Demand movies did not exist. My seats cost $75 instead of $600. Times have changed. Attendance is down at all but the top BCS programs. That's just the way it is. We draw as well as about anyone else in the Belt, once WKU joins MTSU in Conference USA. I don't see our attendance changing significantly, but I still wish we would try to do more in the area of promotions. None of this is a put down of Mike Newell. He was more frustrated with our attendance than anyone- maybe except Chancellor White who threatened to shut the program if we didn't sell a **** load of season tickets.
12-04-2013 11:51 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2013 11:51 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 08:12 PM)Ynocpirt Wrote:  Many more of those 75 dollar season ticket holders.

Look, attendance sucked during most of the Newell era. Yes, we had occasional big crowds when we gave away a truck full of groceries, had Houston and Xavier come in, played in the NIT. For meaningless nonconference games it was no better than we draw now. I will agree that on average it was better than it is now. But cable television was just beginning, VCR's were just coming out, Pong was the big video game, and Red Box and On Demand movies did not exist. My seats cost $75 instead of $600. Times have changed. Attendance is down at all but the top BCS programs. That's just the way it is. We draw as well as about anyone else in the Belt, once WKU joins MTSU in Conference USA. I don't see our attendance changing significantly, but I still wish we would try to do more in the area of promotions. None of this is a put down of Mike Newell. He was more frustrated with our attendance than anyone- maybe except Chancellor White who threatened to shut the program if we didn't sell a **** load of season tickets.

Chancellor White? As I recall the guy's name was Young. But even taking inflation into account, do you really believe that UALR season tickets are worth $600 per? As you point out, there is more competition from cable TV, etc. So why does UALR price its product at prices that guarantee they won't sell well with the public at large? It's not like there is a waiting list. Our AD decided to place price before creating demand, and that's a big reason the program is in such a downward spiral.
12-05-2013 12:20 AM
Ynocpirt Offline
Special Teams

(12-02-2013 09:57 PM)PTJR Wrote:  It was about as accurate back then as it is now. Vastly overstated. But I'm here to tell you for sure that there were more games with much better attendance during Newell's era. Of course we won more on a regular basis during Newell's era, so that certainly helped.

I think I will start by picking -- oh -- not getting the chancellor to threaten to **** the program down. How about recruiting kids who can add, subtract and graduate?
Didn't and don't dislike Newell in the slightest. Just have to laugh at the memory loss of some of our more senior fans... either memory loss or flat out intentional revision of history. Revising history and rooting for us to lose are two things I will never do.
12-05-2013 08:09 PM
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2013 08:09 PM)Ynocpirt Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 08:12 PM)Ynocpirt Wrote:  Many more of those 75 dollar season ticket holders.

I think I will start by picking -- oh -- not getting the chancellor to threaten to **** the program down. How about recruiting kids who can add, subtract and graduate?
Didn't and don't dislike Newell in the slightest. Just have to laugh at the memory loss of some of our more senior fans... either memory loss or flat out intentional revision of history. Revising history and rooting for us to lose are two things I will never do.

Recruiting kids who can add, subtract and graduate? Can you spell Javes? Who has a selective memory of something much more recent?
12-05-2013 09:43 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-05-2013 08:09 PM)Ynocpirt Wrote:  I think I will start by picking -- oh -- not getting the chancellor to threaten to **** the program down. How about recruiting kids who can add, subtract and graduate?

You didn't name one aspect of coaching. You wanted to compare "coaching", and I did. Give me the name of one of Newell's players that you know for a fact that couldn't add or subtract. Come on big boy, you've let your mouth overload your ass, so give me some names. As I said, I made my point, and you want to talk about revising history. You're the ******* king of revising history, and obviously you know less about coaching than I do. Never could understand a guy that was supposedly a fan of a great coach and program, and defends this **** that we get year after year. Evidently someone must have told you Knight was a great coach, because I'm not sure you'd know one if you saw one.
12-05-2013 09:45 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-05-2013 09:45 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 08:09 PM)Ynocpirt Wrote:  I think I will start by picking -- oh -- not getting the chancellor to threaten to **** the program down. How about recruiting kids who can add, subtract and graduate?

You didn't name one aspect of coaching. You wanted to compare "coaching", and I did. Give me the name of one of Newell's players that you know for a fact that couldn't add or subtract. Come on big boy, you've let your mouth overload your ass, so give me some names. As I said, I made my point, and you want to talk about revising history. You're the ******* king of revising history, and obviously you know less about coaching than I do. Never could understand a guy that was supposedly a fan of a great coach and program, and defends this **** that we get year after year. Evidently someone must have told you Knight was a great coach, because I'm not sure you'd know one if you saw one.

I don't know individual players' grade point averages since releasing that would be a violation of the Buckley Amendment. I was told that one coach (I believe he was later a coach in Chicago -Northwestern?, that got shot and killed while jogging) was ready to take the job until he saw the combined grade points of our players which was allegedly 0.7. I loved Newell while he was here, and still appreciate all that he did, but he left the program in a mess financially and academically when he was run out of town by Chancellor Young.

My main point about Newell, on this board, has been that if he really was a "great" coach someone other than you would have figured that out and given him a DI job in the past 25 years. You can't get much lower on the totem pole than UAM and I'm not sure that West Alabama (the last job he was fired from) is much better. Jim Platt was fired from here, after Newell, and has been employed at the DI level (assistant or head coach) since that time. He is now an assistant at a pretty decent program at St. Louis U.
12-05-2013 10:08 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2013 10:08 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 09:45 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

I don't know individual players' grade point averages since releasing that would be a violation of the Buckley Amendment. I was told that one coach (I believe he was later a coach in Chicago -Northwestern?, that got shot and killed while jogging) was ready to take the job until he saw the combined grade points of our players which was allegedly 0.7. I loved Newell while he was here, and still appreciate all that he did, but he left the program in a mess financially and academically when he was run out of town by Chancellor Young.

My main point about Newell, on this board, has been that if he really was a "great" coach someone other than you would have figured that out and given him a DI job in the past 25 years. You can't get much lower on the totem pole than UAM and I'm not sure that West Alabama (the last job he was fired from) is much better. Jim Platt was fired from here, after Newell, and has been employed at the DI level (assistant or head coach) since that time. He is now an assistant at a pretty decent program at St. Louis U.

I think what you guys are totally missing in this discussion is that under Newell, whatever his faults or shortcomings, there was a lot of excitement around the program. That aspect has been missing for some time now. Maybe it's just the way things are now, but give Newell his due for at least that.
12-05-2013 10:57 PM
hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: stAte
An unsolicited point of view from an outsider. Even worse, a stAte fan. I am surprised at what I perceive as the hostility to Mike Newell by some of the long time fans here and even by your university.

Newell's contemporary at stAte was Nelson Catalina. Catalina was separated from our program during the Dicky Nutt era. The type of ill will that happens when you get fired and your assistant gets hired. By Brady's second year he brought Catalina back. On the final game that year we played WKU with the division on the line (lost). At halftime "the Cat" was introduced to a thundering and long lasting standing ovation. Seems a shame that can't happen for Newell.
12-05-2013 11:19 PM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-05-2013 10:08 PM)mjs Wrote:  I don't know individual players' grade point averages since releasing that would be a violation of the Buckley Amendment. I was told that one coach (I believe he was later a coach in Chicago -Northwestern?, that got shot and killed while jogging) was ready to take the job until he saw the combined grade points of our players which was allegedly 0.7. I loved Newell while he was here, and still appreciate all that he did, but he left the program in a mess financially and academically when he was run out of town by Chancellor Young.

Of course you don't know anything about individual players grade averages and neither do I, or your dumb ass friend. Evidently your friend doesn't know anymore about who can read or write than he does about basketball or basketball coaches. I don't know much about basketball either, but I've finally found someone who knows less.

Have you ever heard me say that Newell was one of America's great basketball coaches? I don't think so. I've said he was very good here, and he was, and a hell of a lot better coach than Shields. I believe he's a damn good coach, and he did a pretty good job considering what he had to work with at the school "lower than a totem pole, UAM."

I really have no idea why he's had job problems. Could be all the things you always list when you're on one of your run down Mike Newell rants. It could the problems you said he had with the finances, the players that your buddy said that couldn't add or subtract, could be that some here have said he had a reputation as a womanizer sorta like Slick Willie, or it could be that he's the type of person that once he became a head coach, his ego wouldn't let go back to being an assistant and working for someone else again. And he did have an ego. But I really have no clue. I thought you and your buddy would know that since you both seem to know about all his short comings. And I don't deny that he certainly had some short comings.

No doubt in my mind, and I don't think I'm the only one that thinks so, but Shields couldn't carry Newell's jock as a basketball coach. And if you've done your homework, you know that I said in a post a couple of days ago that I didn't even consider Mike to be the best Trojan coach since I became a fan. I think Wimp is, with Newell second. By the way I picked your pal Shields 4th, although some distance ahead of your other buddy, Platt.

But if you didn't read that, maybe you can get your ole buddy Jim to teach you how to "revise history." He's an expert at that. What he doesn't know or remember, he'll make something up.
12-05-2013 11:28 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-05-2013 11:19 PM)hb8 Wrote:  An unsolicited point of view from an outsider. Even worse, a stAte fan. I am surprised at what I perceive as the hostility to Mike Newell by some of the long time fans here and even by your university.

Newell's contemporary at stAte was Nelson Catalina. Catalina was separated from our program during the Dicky Nutt era. The type of ill will that happens when you get fired and your assistant gets hired. By Brady's second year he brought Catalina back. On the final game that year we played WKU with the division on the line (lost). At halftime "the Cat" was introduced to a thundering and long lasting standing ovation. Seems a shame that can't happen for Newell.

I always liked Cat. I thought he was an excellent coach. His teams often had excellent regular seasons only to lose in the tournament. My theory was that the cream rises to the top in the tourney. Cat got the most out of his talent, but the team's with the most talent (ex. ULL) would end up winning the tourney.
12-06-2013 12:03 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(12-06-2013 12:03 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 11:19 PM)hb8 Wrote:  An unsolicited point of view from an outsider. Even worse, a stAte fan. I am surprised at what I perceive as the hostility to Mike Newell by some of the long time fans here and even by your university.

I always liked Cat. I thought he was an excellent coach. His teams often had excellent regular seasons only to lose in the tournament. My theory was that the cream rises to the top in the tourney. Cat got the most out of his talent, but the team's with the most talent (ex. ULL) would end up winning the tourney.

If your theory is correct, not much cream in the coffee around here lately.
12-06-2013 12:15 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2013 12:03 AM)mjs Wrote:  

Newell came back and was inducted into the UALR Hall of Fame. He was introduced at halftime. I can't recall a "thundering" ovation, but I think he was warmly received by the fans who remember him. Our students weren't born yet when he was the coach here. When Newell was here most envisioned him as eventually becoming one of the top coaches in college basketball. He basically fell off the face of the earth after he left for Lamar. Sad and somewhat hard to explain.
12-06-2013 12:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.