Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT-Christensen out at Wyoming
Bookmark and Share
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
OT-Christensen out at Wyoming
Former Toledo OC Dave Christensen under Pinkel is out at Wyoming after 5 years. His staff included some former players and coaches from Toledo and BG.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 02:55 PM by Terry.)
12-02-2013 02:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: OT-Christensen out at Wyoming
If I was him, I'd buy a lodge and stay were I was.
12-02-2013 05:22 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
Former offensive coordinator? You don't say...
12-02-2013 05:42 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-02-2013 02:51 PM)Terry Wrote:  Former Toledo OC Dave Christensen under Pinkel is out at Wyoming after 5 years. His staff included some former players and coaches from Toledo and BG.

I remember from the hype for the game against them last year that Jim Harding was the OL coach. Were there others as well? I do remember when Pinkel left for Mizzou Christensen initially expressed some interest in the UT head coaching job but he withdrew as soon as Amstutz became a strong candidate as well.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 05:49 PM by T-Town.)
12-02-2013 05:47 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-02-2013 05:42 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  Former offensive coordinator? You don't say...

Be careful what you wish for. As I recall he was somewhat like the little girl with the curl from the nursery rhyme when it came to the offense.
12-02-2013 05:54 PM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Of all of the UT assistants I've met over the years, he was the biggest jerk.
12-02-2013 06:07 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(12-02-2013 05:42 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  Former offensive coordinator? You don't say...

If you like to see 25 to 30 screen passes a game no matter the Down or Distance, he's your guy.
12-02-2013 06:41 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(12-02-2013 06:41 PM)Terry Wrote:  

If you like to see 25 to 30 screen passes a game no matter the Down or Distance, he's your guy.

Ok he's off my short list. But didn't they have a fairly open offense at Wyoming? I thought I remembered their QB as being pretty mobile with decent passing numbers? But no...I don't want a screen pass-heavy offense.
12-02-2013 07:50 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(12-02-2013 06:07 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Of all of the UT assistants I've met over the years, he was the biggest jerk.

Was waiting for someone to point that out...thought he was a bad azz...I thought he was a clown.
12-02-2013 09:06 PM
Advertisement

Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

Doooon't even THINK about it! 05-mafia

Most boring offense everrrrrrrrrr.

In reality, he probably improved at Missouri, as Pinkel seemed convinced that he was OK. Wouldn't want him back here, though. God no.

It still ticks me to no end that WY beat us here. 03-pissed
(Or was it there? Can't recall, but I know it was somewhere...and it HATED it!)
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 11:30 PM by Toledo Football 1st.)
12-02-2013 11:23 PM
Carolina Rocket Offline
Token fat guy

(12-02-2013 09:06 PM)TampaRocket Wrote:  
(12-02-2013 06:07 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Of all of the UT assistants I've met over the years, he was the biggest jerk.

Was waiting for someone to point that out...thought he was a bad azz...I thought he was a clown.

That little spat after the one WYO-Air Force game and subsequent "apology" where he kept having to look down and read what he was sorry for (and sounded disingenuous at best) says a bit about character.
12-02-2013 11:27 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I thought Pinkel had kind of given him an ultimatum to improve the offense so it was more of a spread offense that scored points. The Mizzou fans were pretty happy when he left for Wyoming.
12-02-2013 11:31 PM
rocketpete Offline
2nd String

I Root For: toledo
Must admit...love the trending feeling amongst Rocket nation that we need to look for a new assistant coach or two for our football team.
Offensive coordinator and defensive back coach are two priorities.
Coach Ayeni offense and Joe Haden (during the off season) could work.
12-02-2013 11:47 PM
Advertisement

Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-02-2013 11:31 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  I thought Pinkel had kind of given him an ultimatum to improve the offense so it was more of a spread offense that scored points. The Mizzou fans were pretty happy when he left for Wyoming.

You could be right, I didn't follow it that closely. But, I do remember some comment by Pinkel to the effect that, "Some people think I should hire a new OC, but I'm not going to do it when I know [Christenson] can do it."

I just assumed he left for his shot at a HC job.

One thing I am sure of, though, is how borrrrrrrring his offense was at Toledo. It was like the playbook had 6 plays. He'd run 'em then flip back to page 1 and run 'em again. Rinse and repeat. (I know, he probably didn't do that but it sure seemed that way.) 03-yawn
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 12:18 AM by Toledo Football 1st.)
12-03-2013 12:17 AM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I guess the proof came when that group left and Amstutz took over with all of the same talent but with Rob Spence in the OC seat. offense was much improved but we lost too much from the defense. But we did win the MAC twice under Amstutz in his first 4 years. says a lot about the impact coaching can have. we are regressing with what on paper looks to be more overall talent. That is what concerns me. But, we are also a victim of guys like Wenning and Lynch being in our division at the same time. We have just not found that marquee QB even though the 2 QB system worked well to get us some great numbers. Eric Page was a big factor in those numbers.

not confident we have that stud QB on the roster right now. We'll see.
12-03-2013 05:16 PM
therockets046 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Mud Hens
Christiansen's post game incident with The Air Force and Troy Calhoun was the single funniest coaching moment I've ever seen caught on camera and I was thrilled that it happened to Wyoming after how classless their fans were after they got beat by us last year.
12-04-2013 12:05 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-04-2013 12:05 AM)therockets046 Wrote:  Christiansen's post game incident with The Air Force and Troy Calhoun was the single funniest coaching moment I've ever seen caught on camera and I was thrilled that it happened to Wyoming after how classless their fans were after they got beat by us last year.

We flew into Denver, stayed in Ft. Collins and only drove to Laramie just for the game, so we didn't really have much interaction with their fans so I really didn't form any opinion about them one way or the other. Obviously you had a bad experience with at least some of them----out of curiosity what did they do to tick you off?
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 10:00 AM by T-Town.)
12-04-2013 09:59 AM
Advertisement

therockets046 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Mud Hens
I would have loved to have gone to the Wyoming game but had to settle for Mark Beier that day. We won the game in what I felt was a thrilling, back and forth battle, and I go check various places for writeups on the game, only to find out they'd all been infiltrated by hundreds to thousands of Wyoming fans calling out Toledo for being a dirty team full of classless punks and thugs, with geographic insults as if they'd ever been here before, and that we never would have won the game if we hadn't taken out Brett Smith (even though we were winning by 11). I watched the play again and it kind of reminded me of what The Navy did to Fluellen except that the Wyoming play was at full game speed and the Flu play took place after he'd already been stopped on the ground. I got the impression that their fans had not witnessed much football in their lives.

But then Christensen did his thing with Calhoun later that year and it's like, who's the classless punk now?
12-04-2013 12:46 PM
cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

FWIW, North Dakota State's head coach is taking over at Wyoming.

In case you're interested, here's a link.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...tate-bison
12-08-2013 06:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.