Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Defense
Bookmark and Share
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
Defense
Since October 5th, NIU has given up more than 20 points only once, and that was a respectable 27 to Ball State.
12-01-2013 09:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
RE: Defense
NIU has done a good job adjusting their scheme, especially as a game goes along. It's not sexy to play a safer defense that keeps everything in front of it, but it seems to suit this personnel best. It's not a dominant D at all, but it is competitive.
12-01-2013 09:55 PM
Jwbon Offline
2nd String

I wonder if the MACC will be a relatively low-scoring game, given the strong defense on both sides.
12-01-2013 10:00 PM
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 10:00 PM)Jwbon Wrote:  I wonder if the MACC will be a relatively low-scoring game, given the strong defense on both sides.

Plus both teams can run it, so that might eat some clock.
12-01-2013 10:03 PM
bigdhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu, bears
(12-01-2013 09:55 PM)The Frisky Biscuit Wrote:  NIU has done a good job adjusting their scheme, especially as a game goes along. It's not sexy to play a safer defense that keeps everything in front of it, but it seems to suit this personnel best. It's not a dominant D at all, but it is competitive.

our D is not flashy, that's for sure....but we seem to make the important stop when needed. You're right about adjustments, our coaches generally make the right moves in the 2nd half
12-01-2013 10:28 PM
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 10:28 PM)bigdhuskie Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 09:55 PM)The Frisky Biscuit Wrote:  NIU has done a good job adjusting their scheme, especially as a game goes along. It's not sexy to play a safer defense that keeps everything in front of it, but it seems to suit this personnel best. It's not a dominant D at all, but it is competitive.

our D is not flashy, that's for sure....but we seem to make the important stop when needed. You're right about adjustments, our coaches generally make the right moves in the 2nd half

Plus I think the blitz calls on key 3rd and 4th downs has been massively underrated. The coaching staff has done well with what they have.
12-01-2013 10:30 PM
Advertisement

timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

I think as long as the Huskie D can eliminate the big plays and force a few early punts it will really put the offense in good shape.
12-01-2013 10:31 PM
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 10:31 PM)timxlydon Wrote:  I think as long as the Huskie D can eliminate the big plays and force a few early punts it will really put the offense in good shape.

Yeah, the D usually just has to be solid, because the offense has been amazing. But I remember that Akron game, when the D really game through the entire second half. The D has helped NIU win; every game? no, but a few, and they certainly haven't been bad enough to blow most games.
12-01-2013 10:32 PM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

They may be keeping the play in front of them, but they definitely have an aggressive approach targeting takeaway opportunities.
12-01-2013 10:38 PM
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 10:38 PM)DogTracks Wrote:  

They may be keeping the play in front of them, but they definitely have an aggressive approach targeting takeaway opportunities.

That's exactly why you play that style of defense, if you can see the ball, you are far more likely to make a play on it.
12-01-2013 10:40 PM
elhombre14 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Call me crazy but our D is waaay better when Santa is on the sidelines

Go back to the ball state game and when Payton got in he had a pass break up and 2 tackles for loss

The kid is lost out there...he misses tackles in space...he is slow and is terrible in coverage

Not sure what the coaches like about him
12-01-2013 10:46 PM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 10:46 PM)elhombre14 Wrote:  Call me crazy but our D is waaay better when Santa is on the sidelines

Go back to the ball state game and when Payton got in he had a pass break up and 2 tackles for loss

The kid is lost out there...he misses tackles in space...he is slow and is terrible in coverage

Since I don't think the coaching staff is stupid, I'm assuming they have reasons to think he's their best option, even if you don't.

I'm not at practice, I can't say.
12-01-2013 10:51 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

Santa has been our leading tackler more than once. Perhaps if everyone was healthy and Lemon had not been suspended he would be more of a situational and back-up player but he always steps up and does his best when called on and I am happy that he is a Huskie.
12-02-2013 08:55 AM
elhombre14 Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-02-2013 08:55 AM)bikechuck Wrote:  Santa has been our leading tackler more than once. Perhaps if everyone was healthy and Lemon had not been suspended he would be more of a situational and back-up player but he always steps up and does his best when called on and I am happy that he is a Huskie.

He tackles guys that beat him and catch the ball when he is defending them

What do u like about him? Have you seen what I mentioned in my post?
12-02-2013 09:56 AM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

(12-02-2013 09:56 AM)elhombre14 Wrote:  
(12-02-2013 08:55 AM)bikechuck Wrote:  Santa has been our leading tackler more than once. Perhaps if everyone was healthy and Lemon had not been suspended he would be more of a situational and back-up player but he always steps up and does his best when called on and I am happy that he is a Huskie.

Yeah, Santa is a good kid and a tough tackler, the problem is that we are playing him out of position. Santa needs to be in the middle, hes just not fast enough to play OLB vs these quick slot WRs. Just a huge mismatch for us. Unfortunately (for Santa) Boomer is playing pretty darn solid for us this year so you cant bench him either. Payton is going to end up being a solid anchor for this D for years to come. GREAT preferred walk-on pick up that was!
12-02-2013 11:09 AM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
(12-01-2013 10:46 PM)elhombre14 Wrote:  Call me crazy but our D is waaay better when Santa is on the sidelines

OK
12-02-2013 11:14 AM
Advertisement

elhombre14 Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-02-2013 11:09 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  

Yeah, Santa is a good kid and a tough tackler, the problem is that we are playing him out of position. Santa needs to be in the middle, hes just not fast enough to play OLB vs these quick slot WRs. Just a huge mismatch for us. Unfortunately (for Santa) Boomer is playing pretty darn solid for us this year so you cant bench him either. Payton is going to end up being a solid anchor for this D for years to come. GREAT preferred walk-on pick up that was!

Well put sir. I had no idea Payton was a walk on!
12-02-2013 11:30 AM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Why do people equate tackles to good play? Steltz and Conte were the Bears leading tacklers yesterday. Conte had to tickle AP out of bounds in overtime. Major Wright is their leading tackler on the year. Yeah.
12-02-2013 11:39 AM
elhombre14 Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-02-2013 11:39 AM)armour248 Wrote:  

Why do people equate tackles to good play? Steltz and Conte were the Bears leading tacklers yesterday. Conte had to tickle AP out of bounds in overtime. Major Wright is their leading tackler on the year. Yeah.

Agreed... He tickles far too much to be in the NFL...I pray that Jimmie Ward plays for the Bears next year
12-02-2013 11:46 AM
shack66 Offline
2nd String

Payton is a high risk player. I saw him out of position several times last game. He gets caught inside leaving the edge exposed. Santa is usually in position, just a step behind which is frustrating to see the play occur right in front of him every time. But he's a pretty sure tackler and doesn't get burnt often although it does happen. Santa is at his ceiling and Payton will be a better player IMO. We usually play a conservative D the first half and then tighten up the 2nd. That's when Santa gets pulled. He doesn't explode after he makes his reads and generally lets the play come to him whereas Payton goes all out, but may be caught out of position. Depends on the style you're trying to run. Santa does have his moments where he actually goes for it. He's usually in the correct gap and at least makes the play.
12-02-2013 03:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.