Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Maryland comments about ACC
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Maryland comments about ACC
http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-...-78387672/

Quote:The emails acquired by The Sun — some of which were redacted to hide information deemed by the state attorney general's office as privileged — contained other noteworthy items:

• At the time of the decision, financially strapped Maryland considered taking out a $30 million loan. The school is potentially facing a $52 million fee for leaving the ACC, and the purpose of the loan would have been "to offset the exit fee," according to a November 2012 email from Thomas Faulk, of the state attorney general's office, to Kirwan and Shea.

"I think it did come up as a possibility, that's my recollection," Shea said this week. "I think that was bandied about."

But the loan option was not finalized, school officials said, and no exit fee has yet been paid. Maryland has challenged the validity of the fee in court.

• After the Big Ten decision was finalized, Shea expressed concern about Maryland's "toxic" fan culture during some ACC games and said he hoped the atmosphere would improve in the Big Ten.

"For some time, I have been bothered that these 'traditional rivalries' have provoked toxic reactions from abusive language at the games to riots and car burnings after victories," the regents board chair said in an email to Kirwan. "Maybe the most significant result will be that we have disrupted the fan base and that a new base, equally dedicated to excellence and success but more civilized, will take its place."

Shea said in an interview this week: "While there are a lot of great things about those [ACC] rivalries, my thought then was, 'Well maybe we can improve.'"

Kirwan, the former president of Maryland and Ohio State, said Terps fans' behavior at some games "concerns all of us. Having been in the Big Ten, I don't ever recall an issue of decorum. And I don't know a rivalry that is more intense than Michigan and Ohio State in football."

• Kirwan wrote in an email to Shea and Gossett that he was "mortified" that the Board of Regents violated the state's open meetings law. The regents had convened to discuss the Big Ten offer. Officials acknowledged afterward that they had broken state law by failing to notify the public about the details of the meeting.

"In the rush to pull things together no notice was sent out about Sunday's or Monday's meeting," Kirwan wrote to Shea and others on Nov. 20, 2012. "I am mortified that this occurred."

• Kirwan and other top officials hope the University of Maryland, Baltimore can become a member of the Big Ten's academic consortium. The Committee on Institutional Collaboration allows its 15 members — including the Big Ten schools and the University of Chicago — to share opportunities for research and studying abroad.

"I don't think that issue [of UMB membership] has been broached yet," Kirwan said. "It would be my hope that maybe that someday could occur."

Kirwan said in emails that the consortium was a major selling point in the school's decision to join the Big Ten.

"There was less and less identity with the [ACC] schools, other than in athletics," Kirwan wrote in an email to the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, a research and watchdog group he co-chairs. "The Big Ten, on the other hand, is a conference of peers, major public [Association of American Universities] research universities, plus Northwestern."
12-01-2013 08:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Maryland comments about ACC
goof info
12-01-2013 08:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C Marlow Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: PITT
(12-01-2013 08:26 PM)Dasville Wrote:  http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-...-78387672/

Quote:The emails acquired by The Sun — some of which were redacted to hide information deemed by the state attorney general's office as privileged — contained other noteworthy items:

• At the time of the decision, financially strapped Maryland considered taking out a $30 million loan. The school is potentially facing a $52 million fee for leaving the ACC, and the purpose of the loan would have been "to offset the exit fee," according to a November 2012 email from Thomas Faulk, of the state attorney general's office, to Kirwan and Shea.

"I think it did come up as a possibility, that's my recollection," Shea said this week. "I think that was bandied about."

But the loan option was not finalized, school officials said, and no exit fee has yet been paid. Maryland has challenged the validity of the fee in court.

• After the Big Ten decision was finalized, Shea expressed concern about Maryland's "toxic" fan culture during some ACC games and said he hoped the atmosphere would improve in the Big Ten.

"For some time, I have been bothered that these 'traditional rivalries' have provoked toxic reactions from abusive language at the games to riots and car burnings after victories," the regents board chair said in an email to Kirwan. "Maybe the most significant result will be that we have disrupted the fan base and that a new base, equally dedicated to excellence and success but more civilized, will take its place."

Shea said in an interview this week: "While there are a lot of great things about those [ACC] rivalries, my thought then was, 'Well maybe we can improve.'"

Kirwan, the former president of Maryland and Ohio State, said Terps fans' behavior at some games "concerns all of us. Having been in the Big Ten, I don't ever recall an issue of decorum. And I don't know a rivalry that is more intense than Michigan and Ohio State in football."

• Kirwan wrote in an email to Shea and Gossett that he was "mortified" that the Board of Regents violated the state's open meetings law. The regents had convened to discuss the Big Ten offer. Officials acknowledged afterward that they had broken state law by failing to notify the public about the details of the meeting.

"In the rush to pull things together no notice was sent out about Sunday's or Monday's meeting," Kirwan wrote to Shea and others on Nov. 20, 2012. "I am mortified that this occurred."

• Kirwan and other top officials hope the University of Maryland, Baltimore can become a member of the Big Ten's academic consortium. The Committee on Institutional Collaboration allows its 15 members — including the Big Ten schools and the University of Chicago — to share opportunities for research and studying abroad.

"I don't think that issue [of UMB membership] has been broached yet," Kirwan said. "It would be my hope that maybe that someday could occur."

Kirwan said in emails that the consortium was a major selling point in the school's decision to join the Big Ten.

"There was less and less identity with the [ACC] schools, other than in athletics," Kirwan wrote in an email to the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, a research and watchdog group he co-chairs. "The Big Ten, on the other hand, is a conference of peers, major public [Association of American Universities] research universities, plus Northwestern."

LOL! I wonder if he's confusing the unruly fan behavior with the WVU crowd that UM likes to rub elbows with...

Not sure what UM expects to get out of the CIC. From all the discussions I've seen on the other PITT boards, it doesn't seem to have much of an impact on getting more research dollars, but it does seem to help with purchasing equipment at cheaper prices. So, what's the big deal about the CIC???
12-01-2013 08:32 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

Oh no, it is the Maryland crowd. I attended Maryland. They are almost as bad as WVU. True story.
12-01-2013 08:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
They've never seen photos of riots after Penn State games? Abuses of other fans there?

And they should have took notice of how the CIC kicked out out the University of Illinois at Chicago in 2011.

I just can't imagine how poorly these people did their homework.
12-01-2013 08:39 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(12-01-2013 08:35 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  Oh no, it is the Maryland crowd. I attended Maryland. They are almost as bad as WVU. True story.

Are you serious? As bad as WVU?
I honestly had no idea.
12-01-2013 08:42 PM
Advertisement

CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(12-01-2013 08:32 PM)C Marlow Wrote:  LOL! I wonder if he's confusing the unruly fan behavior with the WVU crowd that UM likes to rub elbows with...

Not sure what UM expects to get out of the CIC. From all the discussions I've seen on the other PITT boards, it doesn't seem to have much of an impact on getting more research dollars, but it does seem to help with purchasing equipment at cheaper prices. So, what's the big deal about the CIC???

The CIC has zero impact on attracting research funding. Zero. Anyone that tells you different doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. The CIC has some other good programs, but if these things were so important to academic missions of schools, they wouldn't be restricted to schools sharing athletic affiliations.

And UIC had guest CIC membership until 2011, when it was kicked out, so it seems pretty unlikely that UMB will get a similar arrangement. I can't imagine they would be so ignorant about that relatively recent happening if they actually did a modicum of homework on the issue.

And they relish on dismantling their fan base?

I can't believe that professionals in these positions are this clueless, to be honest.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 08:49 PM by CrazyPaco.)
12-01-2013 08:43 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-01-2013 08:26 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Kirwan, the former president of Maryland and Ohio State, said Terps fans' behavior at some games "concerns all of us. Having been in the Big Ten, I don't ever recall an issue of decorum. And I don't know a rivalry that is more intense than Michigan and Ohio State in football."

Dumb statement. First of all, with the brawl yesterday, and the fans cheering it on, we can clearly see that the B1G isn't exempt from what he deems as poor behavior. Secondly the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry is tame compared to others. As an example, the BYU-Utah rivalry has turned into two ideologies going head to head.

(12-01-2013 08:26 PM)Dasville Wrote:  "There was less and less identity with the [ACC] schools, other than in athletics," Kirwan wrote in an email to the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, a research and watchdog group he co-chairs. "The Big Ten, on the other hand, is a conference of peers, major public [Association of American Universities] research universities, plus Northwestern."

This quote clearly paints the move as an academic one, and not an athletic one.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 08:44 PM by OrangeCrush22.)
12-01-2013 08:43 PM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(12-01-2013 08:43 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 08:26 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Kirwan, the former president of Maryland and Ohio State, said Terps fans' behavior at some games "concerns all of us. Having been in the Big Ten, I don't ever recall an issue of decorum. And I don't know a rivalry that is more intense than Michigan and Ohio State in football."

Dumb statement. First of all, with the brawl yesterday, and the fans cheering it on, we can clearly see that the B1G isn't exempt from what he deems as poor behavior. Secondly the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry is tame compared to others. As an example, the BYU-Utah rivalry has turned into two ideologies going head to head.

(12-01-2013 08:26 PM)Dasville Wrote:  "There was less and less identity with the [ACC] schools, other than in athletics," Kirwan wrote in an email to the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, a research and watchdog group he co-chairs. "The Big Ten, on the other hand, is a conference of peers, major public [Association of American Universities] research universities, plus Northwestern."

And that is why it is an ultimate fail. If they switched athletic conferences for academic identity, and all I can say is that the people running Maryland are embarrassingly stupid.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 08:47 PM by CrazyPaco.)
12-01-2013 08:46 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(12-01-2013 08:42 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 08:35 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  Oh no, it is the Maryland crowd. I attended Maryland. They are almost as bad as WVU. True story.

Are you serious? As bad as WVU?
I honestly had no idea.

Yes. Arguably worse. It started with rioting after the Duke/MD basketball game (the comeback game). From there it happened after every big basketball game. Then it happened after nearly every football games. Then it got to where they literally had to have the riot police at women's basketball games and Lacrosse games, as people started burning trashcans after even those games.

Trashcan burning and car tipping are the protests of choice.
12-01-2013 09:02 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-01-2013 08:46 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  And that is why it is an ultimate fail. If they switched athletic conferences for academic identity, and all I can say is that the people running Maryland are embarrassingly stupid.

It's definitely bizarre. And if these were obtained through emails then it's what they really think, it's not to try and sway public opinion.
12-01-2013 09:12 PM
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(12-01-2013 08:46 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 08:43 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  

And that is why it is an ultimate fail. If they switched athletic conferences for academic identity, and all I can say is that the people running Maryland are embarrassingly stupid.

Folks with inside knowledge of Maryland have been saying they are stupid for some time - it's not a new thing.
12-01-2013 09:24 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Maryland fans have long been the worst in the conference.
12-01-2013 09:26 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(12-01-2013 09:26 PM)XLance Wrote:  Maryland fans have long been the worst in the conference.

How do we discuss the issue without getting into sterotypes? Maryland has IMPORTED many of its behavior problems because they pay out of state tuition.

Everyone knows that when you go to College Park, you take a sock filled with quarters or oranges filled size "D" batteries.

The only venues with rougher fans are the Philadelphia Eagles, and the WV Mountaineers. From my experience, the problem folks at MD, actually came from SE PA, and Jersey.
12-01-2013 09:31 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
hmm.....

more proof that realignment is as much about academics as it is athletics

and dont take crazypoco's comments too seriously

hes a b10 hater at heart
12-01-2013 10:03 PM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(12-01-2013 10:03 PM)john01992 Wrote:  hmm.....

hes a b10 hater at heart

Most of my inlaws are Iowa people. Many friends and colleagues from Michigan. One inlaw won the Heisman at Ohio State. I'm from Penn State country.

And you continue to embarrass yourself.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 10:17 PM by CrazyPaco.)
12-01-2013 10:13 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(12-01-2013 10:13 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

hes a b10 hater at heart

Most of my inlaws are Iowa people. Many friends and colleagues from Michigan. One inlaw won the Heisman at Ohio State. I'm from Penn State country.

well for someone with b10 connections you are always the first to bash the CIC & b10 academics in general
12-01-2013 10:19 PM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(12-01-2013 10:19 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 10:13 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

hes a b10 hater at heart

well for someone with b10 connections you are always the first to bash the CIC & b10 academics in general

No, I'm telling the reality of it. Because I've been in academia for years and can share that reality. I'm not regurgitating the BS that fanboys like you want to slather around the message boards.

And I'll repeat it, if someone states that the CIC helps to procure even $1 in research funding for any school, they're absolutely and thoroughly ignorant of the process.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 10:33 PM by CrazyPaco.)
12-01-2013 10:23 PM
Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
(12-01-2013 08:26 PM)Dasville Wrote:  http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-...-78387672/

Quote:• Kirwan wrote in an email to Shea and Gossett that he was "mortified" that the Board of Regents violated the state's open meetings law. The regents had convened to discuss the Big Ten offer. Officials acknowledged afterward that they had broken state law by failing to notify the public about the details of the meeting.

I guess this is what I find so alarming. Not that public officials broke the law, but they seem pretty glib about it as if their fait accompli is iron-clad. Which, I suppose it is! Now...

I love it from a UofL vantage, of course (Rutgers isn't the only *Massive* beneficiary of the B10 machinations), as this secrecy may have been the only way to reach their goal... nonetheless, disturbed about it all the same just seeing it spelled out like that.
12-01-2013 10:25 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Ironic that Maryland claims the ACC did not follow protocol regarding the exit fee hike, yet they admit that they themselves most definitely violated not only internal rules but also state law by having secret meetings to join the Big Ten.

Hypocrisy - noun - state of Maryland athletics
12-01-2013 10:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.