UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Legion Field Suggestion Box
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation Legion Field Suggestion Box
I'm talking to some people - very informally at this point - about possible improvements to Legion Field for next season, both in terms of upkeep/ maintenance/ cosmetics and gameday operations. I'd like for this thread to serve as a collection of Blazer fan concerns about the gameday experience this year - things that were done well and things that need to be done better for next year. No detail is too silly or too small, and no issue is too obvious or glaring for this discussion.

I'm planning on taking whatever becomes of this thread into some meetings, and hopefully we'll be able to have a better experience for next year. We may even be able to take care of some things in time for recruiting visits over the offseason, so be thinking about that as well. Especially if there are any people out there that have connections to players or families of players or staff. What are some things that could be done to make a better impression on visiting recruits?

Obviously I'm pretty naive here and this whole thing isn't even off the ground yet, so anyone's input would be greatly appreciated and extremely helpful. The only reason I'm pursuing this seriously is because people have been returning my phone calls and seem to be taking me seriously, at least for now.

One thing I've proposed to B'ham Parks and Rec is a volunteer effort wherein Blazer fans help the Legion Field staff get the stadium ready for our games. I told them I would love to donate a ton of my time to helping them out, and that it's possible there are others in the fan base that feel the same way. Is anybody with me? I'll give you guys more details as this thing gets fleshed out.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 01:46 AM by thebernreuter.)
12-01-2013 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jcduncan13 Offline
All American

RE: Legion Field: Year in Review
For one, that idiot in the endzone by visitor's side selling frozen lemonade had a Bama tshirt on...I thought that was ridiculous. I attend the university, but you don't wear that crap to a Uab game. I voiced my displeasure at him, but he didn't even respond. Glad he didn't, to be honest. But the workers need to wear uab shirts or something not affiliated with another team.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 01:39 PM by jcduncan13.)
12-01-2013 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

Most of the concession people didn't even show up because of the Iron Bowl. I think all of them are volunteers, and attendance for such efforts tends to be low on good days.

Hopefully he was tired of hearing about his shirt by the time you got to him lol.

I would have appreciated his shirt more if he had been selling hot pizza instead of frozen lemonade.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 01:48 PM by thebernreuter.)
12-01-2013 01:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
He wasn't the only concession stand worker wearing Bama attire. And several of the fans were wearing other teams shirts as well. I am including the ones who thought they could serve two masters by wearing Red UAB shirts. (Why do those exist)

That said, people should be able to wear what they want. They should know better, but you can't dictate what volunteers wear when you can't get volunteers in the first place.
12-01-2013 01:51 PM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(12-01-2013 01:51 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  That said, people should be able to wear what they want. They should know better, but you can't dictate what volunteers wear when you can't get volunteers in the first place.

Also we should be focusing on getting to a point wear people don't have to be forced to wear UAB stuff. They should just do it because it's what they wear all the time. That's a tall order, but dream big.
12-01-2013 01:55 PM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

Someone in charge of something could probably spring for some UAB Gameday Staff t-shirts. That way we'd have the university name, team colors, it would look organized, and the workers would look like they work there.
12-01-2013 02:02 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Suggestion:
Replace the barbed/razor-wire topped chainlink fencing that surrounds the stadium with wrought iron. Its amazing how Legion field, from some perspectives, look like a medium security prison.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 02:21 PM by WesternBlazer.)
12-01-2013 02:20 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
The concession problem is somewhat connected to our attendance problems. Those who sign up volunteers to work the concession stands can't predict what quantity of goods or service people to bring to the games. As with church work day volunteering, many more say they will come than actually show up. Also I would imagine that requiring a person working for nothing except his belief in a cause to wear (or NOT wear) certain apparel is not going to be a success. I would doubt that a concessionaire went out to buy a new "BAMA" shirt to wear to Legion Field to peddle a drink or hot dogs at a UAB game.

I suspect the razor wire is meant to keep people OUT not IN. It probably saves money on security since there are copper thieves and scrap iron thieves that might plunder the place requiring a major police presence to protect it 24/7.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 02:26 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
12-01-2013 02:22 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Well we have been sentenced to play our games there.
12-01-2013 02:23 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

By the way, this thread is a waste of time. The park board is not going to do anything and UAB has no money to do anything.
12-01-2013 02:23 PM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(12-01-2013 02:23 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  By the way, this thread is a waste of time. The park board is not going to do anything and UAB has no money to do anything.

Hence the volunteer work idea, which costs nothing.
12-01-2013 02:25 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

We should not have to volunteer to do what should be someone else's job that they aren't doing. There are also liability issues that the City will have to deal with regarding volunteers. Won't happen.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 02:27 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
12-01-2013 02:26 PM
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

It is utterly preposterous to even bring up the subject of "The Nemesis of UAB Football", Legion Field.
12-01-2013 02:26 PM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(12-01-2013 02:26 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  We should not have to volunteer to do what should be someone else's job that they aren't doing. There are also liability issues that the City will have to deal with regarding volunteers. Won't happen.

It could be someone else's job if there were money to pay them for it. I wish everything that needed to be done at Legion Field would just be taken care of, but that isn't happening right now. I want to know why and what can be done about it. Just like people can donate money to the program, they can donate time and elbow grease as well. I don't have thousands of dollars to give to the athletic department, but there are other ways I can give to make up for it. Legion Field is obviously a glaring issue that will be a part of our program for a long time, so if there is any way for willing, determined people with some time to make some stuff happen out there, I want to know about it.

The liability issues don't prevent people from working the games as volunteers.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 02:38 PM by thebernreuter.)
12-01-2013 02:28 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(12-01-2013 02:26 PM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  It is utterly preposterous to even bring up the subject of "The Nemesis of UAB Football", Legion Field.

If UAB might be in a position to build its own OCS, we would not have this to worry about. We are going to play our home games at Legion Field for the foreseeable future so the question of how to make the inevitable more endurable is a good idea.

The problem is that all suggestions require that someone fund something out of someone's pocket. With reductions in state SETF money for the last 10 years limiting what UAB can do, and the city's problems in raising money for all its citizens want it to do, there are not a lot of PRACTICAL suggestions that can be made for Legion Field.
12-01-2013 02:36 PM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

I plan on circumventing said funding issues by finding out what we can do for free. If there is no interest, then I guess I'll just be a lonely volunteer.
12-01-2013 02:41 PM
Advertisement

thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(12-01-2013 02:36 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  The problem is that all suggestions require that someone fund something out of someone's pocket. With reductions in state SETF money for the last 10 years limiting what UAB can do, and the city's problems in raising money for all its citizens want it to do, there are not a lot of PRACTICAL suggestions that can be made for Legion Field.

More to that point, it would be fascinating to know how the Legion Field finances work. Do you think it's even revenue-neutral? They've got another bowl game coming up. What impact did last year's success, which was completely unprecedented and far beyond anything they could have projected based on the previous Compass Bowls, have on funding for the venue? Do individual successes/ failures even matter, or does that revenue just disappear into some nebulous cloud of city finances?
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 02:46 PM by thebernreuter.)
12-01-2013 02:46 PM
FNblazer Online
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
I'd like to remove the South end zone so that I can take in panoramic views of the "historic residential areas."
12-01-2013 02:50 PM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

On the subject of the sketch surroundings, difficulties with our "normal" car almost led me to take my beautiful 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass to the game this past weekend. Even with it being a day game, what are the odds it would have still been in the parking lot after the game?
12-01-2013 02:56 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(12-01-2013 02:20 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Suggestion:
Replace the barbed/razor-wire topped chainlink fencing that surrounds the stadium with wrought iron. Its amazing how Legion field, from some perspectives, look like a medium security prison.

have you priced 6 foot tall wrought iron fencing?
to fence off that whole area, i bet you're easily looking at 6 figures
12-01-2013 02:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.