Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PAC - Why no Cal/Stanford?
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
PAC - Why no Cal/Stanford?
Someone help me... why does Cal not play Stanford this week? The PAC rivalries line up so perfectly except for Stanford playing Notre Dame and Cal sitting. I understand that ND is a rating powerhouse and they like having the long holiday weekend for travel, but still.
11-30-2013 11:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: PAC - Why no Cal/Stanford?
because stanford & USC rotate between playing notre dame in the final week
11-30-2013 11:29 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(11-30-2013 11:15 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  Someone help me... why does Cal not play Stanford this week? The PAC rivalries line up so perfectly except for Stanford playing Notre Dame and Cal sitting. I understand that ND is a rating powerhouse and they like having the long holiday weekend for travel, but still.

This isn't new. Notre Dame has rotated playing at USC and Stanford on the final week of the season on alternating years for many years. The "ratings powerhouse" is all you need to know - the Pac-12 can guarantee selling a high profile ND game on Thanksgiving weekend annually.
11-30-2013 11:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Two parts to this actually:

1. The PAC-10 when expanding to 12, agreed to have most non-conference games the first 3 weeks of the year, but specifically exempted Notre Dame ending with USC/Stanford as both schools like that and they are high profile for the conference.

2. Cal/Stanford (the Big Game) is traditionally the weekend before Thanksgiving (as many rivalries were traditionally) and due to a lot of events leading up to it during the week, there has been a push against having it on Thanksgiving week. So far, no Big Games have been scheduled on Thanksgiving weekend since the PAC-10 went to 12 regardless of who Notre Dame was playing that weekend (although the first year of 12 teams it was pushed up to October).
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2013 11:34 PM by ohio1317.)
11-30-2013 11:33 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(11-30-2013 11:33 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  2. Cal/Stanford (the Big Game) is traditionally the weekend before Thanksgiving (as many rivalries were traditionally) and due to a lot of events leading up to it during the week, there has been a push against having it on Thanksgiving week. So far, no Big Games have been scheduled on Thanksgiving weekend since the PAC-10 went to 12 regardless of who Notre Dame was playing that weekend (although the first year of 12 teams it was pushed up to October).

This.

Cal and Stanford want to play the week before Thanksgiving because they couldn't keep the traditional Big Game-week events if the game was on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

After the dispute in the first year of the Pac-12 that led to the Big Game being played in October, it looks like the conference is going to accommodate Cal and Stanford by scheduling the Big Game on the Saturday before Thanksgiving provided that one of the teams in the conference finds another non-con opponent for T-week along with ND vs. USC or Stanford. BYU is playing Cal that weekend in '14, Utah in '18, Stanford in '20 and '22, and USC in '21 and '23. If no one finds a non-con opponent for that week, then someone gets a bye the last week of the season (as Cal did in '12 and '13).
12-01-2013 12:01 AM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
OK, the Big Game-week explanation makes sense. I am just used to Thanksgiving week being the "Big Game" time in the Southeast for our public schools. Private schools have different approaches since their alumni tend to scatter.
12-01-2013 09:19 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I can definitely understand Stanford/Cal wanting to keep it there. Beat Michigan Week at Ohio State was very much altered due to the Big Ten recently moving the last week of the year to Thanksgiving. In particular, jumping into Mirror Lake was always the Thursday before, which is now impossible.
12-01-2013 09:27 AM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-01-2013 12:01 AM)Wedge Wrote:  
(11-30-2013 11:33 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  2. Cal/Stanford (the Big Game) is traditionally the weekend before Thanksgiving (as many rivalries were traditionally) and due to a lot of events leading up to it during the week, there has been a push against having it on Thanksgiving week. So far, no Big Games have been scheduled on Thanksgiving weekend since the PAC-10 went to 12 regardless of who Notre Dame was playing that weekend (although the first year of 12 teams it was pushed up to October).

This.

Cal and Stanford want to play the week before Thanksgiving because they couldn't keep the traditional Big Game-week events if the game was on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

After the dispute in the first year of the Pac-12 that led to the Big Game being played in October, it looks like the conference is going to accommodate Cal and Stanford by scheduling the Big Game on the Saturday before Thanksgiving provided that one of the teams in the conference finds another non-con opponent for T-week along with ND vs. USC or Stanford. BYU is playing Cal that weekend in '14, Utah in '18, Stanford in '20 and '22, and USC in '21 and '23. If no one finds a non-con opponent for that week, then someone gets a bye the last week of the season (as Cal did in '12 and '13).

The P12 should add BYU-Utah as an annual. Then Cal could play Colorado as an annual on Thanksgiving weekend and let ND-USC-UCLA-Stanford rotate their games without leaving Cal high and dry.
12-01-2013 09:54 AM
ohio1317 Offline

(12-01-2013 09:54 AM)orangefan Wrote:  

This.

The P12 should add BYU-Utah as an annual. Then Cal could play Colorado as an annual on Thanksgiving weekend and let ND-USC-UCLA-Stanford rotate their games without leaving Cal high and dry.

That's what I thought would make most sense too. I'll grant Utah wants a few years off here and there to play others (with 9 conference games, they probably need a break here and there), but in any year BYU-Utah play, it should be season ending I'd think.
12-01-2013 10:04 AM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(12-01-2013 10:04 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 09:54 AM)orangefan Wrote:  

This.

That's what I thought would make most sense too. I'll grant Utah wants a few years off here and there to play others (with 9 conference games, they probably need a break here and there), but in any year BYU-Utah play, it should be season ending I'd think.

It does make sense to play the Holy War that weekend, although Cal and CU are in opposite divisions and don't play every year so you can't make that an annual game. I suspect that the Utes don't want BYU to be their season-ender every year, though.
12-01-2013 11:25 AM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
utah & CU are already traditional rivals. a little known fact in conference realignment is that CU-utah were big rivals from 1900 up until the 1960s.

granted its not as big as utah-byu but its still an in conference rivalry game and i see no reason to change it.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 01:44 PM by john01992.)
12-01-2013 01:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.