Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Okay, those last 90 seconds of the stAte-WKU game
Bookmark and Share
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
When someone has a clip of that sequence, I'd love to see it. Apparently a whole lotta stuff went down during that fateful 90 seconds.

ESPN's gamecast when bonkers and I had no clue what was happening.
11-30-2013 08:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
It will replay on ESPN3.com.
11-30-2013 08:31 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: Okay, those last 90 seconds of the stAte-WKU game
(11-30-2013 08:31 PM)galojah Wrote:  It will replay on ESPN3.com.

If I can't link to it via computer, I won't see it. I'm about 2,000 miles south of the United States.
11-30-2013 08:35 PM
galojah Offline
All American

Donators
(11-30-2013 08:35 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(11-30-2013 08:31 PM)galojah Wrote:  It will replay on ESPN3.com.

If I can't link to it via computer, I won't see it. I'm about 2,000 miles south of the United States.

Gotcha. I'll watch for video. Of course last 90sec of play is like 10 minutes long.
11-30-2013 08:38 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Should be able to click watch replay.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/scoreboard?confId...kNumber=14
11-30-2013 08:39 PM
HCJag Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
Close call at 2:39 with that pass on the sideline, and another close call with the interference. I didn't see enough evidence to overturn the pass completion...not enough camera angles. I'd bet there was some part of his toe on the line though. On the interference, the defender had his left arm around the receiver. With a ref right there, I'm not surprise he called it.

There was also a costly roughing the passer call. They didn't show a replay on ESPN3.
11-30-2013 09:07 PM
Advertisement

freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(11-30-2013 09:07 PM)HCJag Wrote:  Close call at 2:39 with that pass on the sideline, and another close call with the interference. I didn't see enough evidence to overturn the pass completion...not enough camera angles. I'd bet there was some part of his toe on the line though. On the interference, the defender had his left arm around the receiver. With a ref right there, I'm not surprise he called it.

There was also a costly roughing the passer call. They didn't show a replay on ESPN3.

I will agree wholeheartedly that the officials were crap. They made crap calls all day against both sides. If that roughing the passer call isn't made and the game ends with us getting hosed by the block below the waist (that wasn't below the waist) then it would be WKU fans on here pissing and moaning. I don't begrudge the stAte fans for doing it, because I would be mad too. I don't like to see officials decide games, but they were messing this one up long before the last 90 seconds.
11-30-2013 09:14 PM
galojah Offline
All American

Donators
Breakdown of last drive from the WKU student newspaper.

http://m.wkuherald.com/sports/article_c0...l?mode=jqm
12-01-2013 08:43 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
It's over and done, and is what it is.
12-01-2013 10:10 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
No matter how that drive ended someone wasn't going to be happy because the last twenty yards of it involved several close calls
12-01-2013 10:20 AM
stebo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
All this talk about bad officiating got me interested - I know that we have been a victim of that (or we felt we were at least!)... So I just watched the last series on the replay available online. I did not see any bogus calls. I saw a couple of late flags on both teams (one on ASU and one on WKU). The penalties appeared to be equal and ASU made a critical error in calling a timeout to give WKU a little breather with a time to talk and draw up a play.

ASU has traditionally been my #2 team, just because of the history of our two teams and the respect that I have for the fans. Mark and I have been online friends and fans that have shared a pint or two when we visited Jonesboro about ten years ago and I have always enjoyed cheering for ASU as my other favorite team... but I don't understand a couple of the fans' complaints about these calls (not all, but there are a couple that are going so far as to say that they do not recognize this as a loss!)

Calls seemed fair to me - on both sides of the ball. ASU has locked in 2nd and can still tie for 1st in the conference if UL loses next week (unlikely in my opinion, but possible). This is something that the Belt should not have to deal with - a possible co-champ sitting at home. It happened to MTSU the first year of this conference and could happen again. The Belt needs to finally nut up and establish true tie breakers and stop awarding shared championships. I have ALWAYS hated the "shared" championship idea - every conference should have a tie breaker waterfall to determine who is #1, #2, #3, etc...

I know that the stAte fans are feeling mad right now - but after you calm down, go back and watch that last drive online. I think that you will see that the refs were pretty strict with both teams - but there was no big conspiracy that went down. You had two evenly matched teams and only one could win... you play those two teams 10 times and 5 times will be won by each.
12-01-2013 10:50 AM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 10:50 AM)stebo Wrote:  All this talk about bad officiating got me interested - I know that we have been a victim of that (or we felt we were at least!)... So I just watched the last series on the replay available online. I did not see any bogus calls. I saw a couple of late flags on both teams (one on ASU and one on WKU). The penalties appeared to be equal and ASU made a critical error in calling a timeout to give WKU a little breather with a time to talk and draw up a play.

ASU has traditionally been my #2 team, just because of the history of our two teams and the respect that I have for the fans. Mark and I have been online friends and fans that have shared a pint or two when we visited Jonesboro about ten years ago and I have always enjoyed cheering for ASU as my other favorite team... but I don't understand a couple of the fans' complaints about these calls (not all, but there are a couple that are going so far as to say that they do not recognize this as a loss!)

Calls seemed fair to me - on both sides of the ball. ASU has locked in 2nd and can still tie for 1st in the conference if UL loses next week (unlikely in my opinion, but possible). This is something that the Belt should not have to deal with - a possible co-champ sitting at home. It happened to MTSU the first year of this conference and could happen again. The Belt needs to finally nut up and establish true tie breakers and stop awarding shared championships. I have ALWAYS hated the "shared" championship idea - every conference should have a tie breaker waterfall to determine who is #1, #2, #3, etc...

I know that the stAte fans are feeling mad right now - but after you calm down, go back and watch that last drive online. I think that you will see that the refs were pretty strict with both teams - but there was no big conspiracy that went down. You had two evenly matched teams and only one could win... you play those two teams 10 times and 5 times will be won by each.

I think it would be a lot less of an issue except that we were already upset by the failure of the officials to penalize WKU for clearing the benches and coming to our side of the field to fight and that we had points taken off the board on the field goal.

Our QB got injured. Holding wasn't being called until they hit us with one.

We were already well primed to feel like we were getting jobbed when they got 9 shots at the end zone whether we were actually getting jobbed or not.
12-01-2013 10:59 AM
stebo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
(12-01-2013 10:59 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 10:50 AM)stebo Wrote:  All this talk about bad officiating got me interested - I know that we have been a victim of that (or we felt we were at least!)... So I just watched the last series on the replay available online. I did not see any bogus calls. I saw a couple of late flags on both teams (one on ASU and one on WKU). The penalties appeared to be equal and ASU made a critical error in calling a timeout to give WKU a little breather with a time to talk and draw up a play.

I think it would be a lot less of an issue except that we were already upset by the failure of the officials to penalize WKU for clearing the benches and coming to our side of the field to fight and that we had points taken off the board on the field goal.

We were already well primed to feel like we were getting jobbed when they got 9 shots at the end zone whether we were actually getting jobbed or not.

Understood - but all the calls that I just watched were valid calls. If you are to be mad at anyone, be mad at the players for the penalties. Probably the most unnecessary penalty was the roughing the passer - the game would have been over but the stAte player had too much frustration built up and didn't avoid hitting the QB. That was the key penalty in my opinion. I also saw WKU get a TD called back in that series - so they could just as easily argue that they felt things were being called too tightly on their team.

Like I said - I love me some stAte - have been a fan since our two programs were tied at the hip from the last year of the Big West until 2013 - and I still believe that stAte should get a bowl invite from Go Daddy, they are the undisputed #2 team and couple possibly be tied for #1 if Louisiana loses next week... But this exposes a weakness in the Belt when it comes to bowls, they have shifted the majority of the selection power to the bowl committee in order to secure the slots. This allows the bowl to choose who will bring the most people and look the best on paper/in the paper/on TV. WKU has an 8-4 record and beat 4 OOC opponents...

This whole crap about who is leaving the conference is bogus - WKU is a founding member of the Belt. I hate to see these sour grapes. Western has been around through thick and thin with the Belt and their basketball units (from their last Sweet 16 run) will stay with the conference when they leave, paying all members some serious cash over the unit's cycle.

I hate to bring up CUSA, but I think a comparison can be made... CUSA has exiting teams this year as well and there is very little conversation about keeping them out of a bowl, even with 8 bowl eligible teams and only 6 slots. I haven't seen it mentioned other than as a joke - and about the worst that anyone has suggested is to ship one of them off to Hawaii. I think you will see that neither Tulane nor ECU will get sent to Hawaii - because everyone shares in the payouts equally so that doesn't make sense for the collective group. Even if those schools will be in the AAC next year.

Go stAte - I hope that you get into a bowl. You definitely have a great program there in Jonesboro with great fans. Three coaches in a row and you just keep winning - how awesome is that??!! WKU - you won some very impressive OOC games this year and an 8 win season for any team at our level is tough to get to. So I can see an argument for your team's case as well.
12-01-2013 11:29 AM
Dudleytop Offline
Bench Warmer

Very classy post Stebo! Your logic and point of view are appreciated. We are looking forward to being in CUSA with you next year!
(12-01-2013 11:29 AM)stebo Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 10:59 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Understood - but all the calls that I just watched were valid calls. If you are to be mad at anyone, be mad at the players for the penalties. Probably the most unnecessary penalty was the roughing the passer - the game would have been over but the stAte player had too much frustration built up and didn't avoid hitting the QB. That was the key penalty in my opinion. I also saw WKU get a TD called back in that series - so they could just as easily argue that they felt things were being called too tightly on their team.

Like I said - I love me some stAte - have been a fan since our two programs were tied at the hip from the last year of the Big West until 2013 - and I still believe that stAte should get a bowl invite from Go Daddy, they are the undisputed #2 team and couple possibly be tied for #1 if Louisiana loses next week... But this exposes a weakness in the Belt when it comes to bowls, they have shifted the majority of the selection power to the bowl committee in order to secure the slots. This allows the bowl to choose who will bring the most people and look the best on paper/in the paper/on TV. WKU has an 8-4 record and beat 4 OOC opponents...

This whole crap about who is leaving the conference is bogus - WKU is a founding member of the Belt. I hate to see these sour grapes. Western has been around through thick and thin with the Belt and their basketball units (from their last Sweet 16 run) will stay with the conference when they leave, paying all members some serious cash over the unit's cycle.

I hate to bring up CUSA, but I think a comparison can be made... CUSA has exiting teams this year as well and there is very little conversation about keeping them out of a bowl, even with 8 bowl eligible teams and only 6 slots. I haven't seen it mentioned other than as a joke - and about the worst that anyone has suggested is to ship one of them off to Hawaii. I think you will see that neither Tulane nor ECU will get sent to Hawaii - because everyone shares in the payouts equally so that doesn't make sense for the collective group. Even if those schools will be in the AAC next year.

Go stAte - I hope that you get into a bowl. You definitely have a great program there in Jonesboro with great fans. Three coaches in a row and you just keep winning - how awesome is that??!! WKU - you won some very impressive OOC games this year and an 8 win season for any team at our level is tough to get to. So I can see an argument for your team's case as well.
12-01-2013 03:33 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

Wow STEBO! Logic and common sense from a fan-can it be?
12-01-2013 03:43 PM
TXSTRiverBobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas State
What I noticed was that the first 4th down conversion on the sideline was probably the right call. It was close but the official had the best angle, even better than any of the cameras. The block below the waste penalty was also the correct call. So was the pass interference penalty in the end zone. The only thing I saw was the hit out of bounds personal foul. That was definitely not a penalty and should not have been called. The defender was already hitting him while he was still in bounds and didn't follow through with the hit. That call was the only one that ASU has a right to be mad at in that final drive.

Now with that said, that one call ends the game if it is called correctly. So that's a big reason the be pissed if you're ASU.
12-01-2013 08:16 PM
Advertisement

CrushMI Offline
1st String

WKU set off fireworks 3 times on the final drive thinking we had scored a TD...
12-01-2013 08:21 PM
bp10 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Arkansas state
The best replay of the catch on 4th down was in the stadium. It looked like he may have been out of bounds and I was convinced of it from that angle. However, the officials may not have had that angle and the espn shots definitely didn't have enough to overturn the call. They did announce the call stands, not it was confirmed.

I would like to see the replay of the late hit from the espn camera in the end zone. They were about to show the replay and then cut away because WKU was running another play.
12-01-2013 08:28 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2013 08:16 PM)TXSTRiverBobcat Wrote:  What I noticed was that the first 4th down conversion on the sideline was probably the right call. It was close but the official had the best angle, even better than any of the cameras. The block below the waste penalty was also the correct call. So was the pass interference penalty in the end zone. The only thing I saw was the hit out of bounds personal foul. That was definitely not a penalty and should not have been called. The defender was already hitting him while he was still in bounds and didn't follow through with the hit. That call was the only one that ASU has a right to be mad at in that final drive.

Now with that said, that one call ends the game if it is called correctly. So that's a big reason the be pissed if you're ASU.

What's done is done.

I'm more concerned with the fact that our conference apparently has no set rules of governance.
12-01-2013 08:29 PM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(12-01-2013 08:16 PM)TXSTRiverBobcat Wrote:  What I noticed was that the first 4th down conversion on the sideline was probably the right call. It was close but the official had the best angle, even better than any of the cameras. The block below the waste penalty was also the correct call. So was the pass interference penalty in the end zone. The only thing I saw was the hit out of bounds personal foul. That was definitely not a penalty and should not have been called. The defender was already hitting him while he was still in bounds and didn't follow through with the hit. That call was the only one that ASU has a right to be mad at in that final drive.

Logic and common sense! Agreed. On the last drive it was the one bad call but it was enough.
12-01-2013 08:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.