Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How Long Will USM & UTEP Be Down?
Bookmark and Share
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
How Long Will USM & UTEP Be Down?
C-USA looks like it will be a solid conference going forward. Marshall, Rice, North Texas, UTSA, MT, and FAU all seem to be able to compete on any given Saturday. In fact, C-USA will now have 8 of their 14 teams with records of .500 or better, while the AAC won't even be able to fill their bowl spots. LA Tech isn't having the greatest season, but they are young and should be better next year. I'm not worried about their program.

I'm not knocking UTEP or Southern Miss for their bad seasons. Every program has its ups and downs. I'm so glad North Texas is in the same conference with y'all. Miner and Eagle fans, how long before these programs are back competing for the title again?
11-29-2013 06:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
RE: How Long Will USM & UTEP Be Down?
It sometimes takes a year or two. A couple of star recruits may be excellent cores for the program to build around...
11-29-2013 06:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
Not long. CUSA is wide open.
11-29-2013 07:08 PM
Advertisement

STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
How long will UTEP be down? Well, it's going on 40+ years and counting.
11-29-2013 08:00 PM
MDH Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNT, Fresno St
Look how quickly and unpredictable our comeback was, could be next year.
11-29-2013 08:26 PM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(11-29-2013 08:00 PM)STexMiner Wrote:  How long will UTEP be down? Well, it's going on 40+ years and counting.

Kinda true but most of Prices teams over the last nine years were competitive and 3 went bowling, didn't win them but went.

To be competitive again next year is probably expecting too much but that's what I expect. The offense, when healthy this year, was doing ok, averaging 31 points a game with Showers at QB, about 7 per game without him. Other injuries on both sides of the ball on an already thin team didn't help. The defense was terrible all year except for a couple of games. Lost by 3 to LT, by 14 to Tulsa, etc., etc., the first half of the season. Last half has been total suckage except for the 33-10 win vs FIU.

UTEP returns a lot on both sides but we need more depth and an infusion of talent on defense. The offense will be fine if key personnel stays relatively healthy. So I'm expecting a team that can keep most games interesting and win more than the 2 they won this year. The year after that this coach better have a decent team that can get bowl eligible. Not much to ask in this day and age with 203 bowl games out there.
11-29-2013 09:12 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(11-29-2013 08:26 PM)MDH Wrote:  Look how quickly and unpredictable our comeback was, could be next year.

Didn't UNT win only 4 games in 2012? Yet your guys were competitive in several other games. That along with returning so many starters was a good indicator that UNT would be pretty good this year. You have a very good coaching staff and keeping them in place will keep you in the bowl business.
11-29-2013 09:16 PM
Advertisement

Kwisatz100 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MTSU
92 days + or - a hour
11-29-2013 09:32 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
A couple of years at USM before we can compete again.
11-29-2013 09:38 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Many in Miner land said be careful what you ask for when we asked for Price to step down. I don't think anyone expected a season this bad.

For UTEP, the problem has always been defense. If it doesn't happen in year 3, it's time to move on.
11-30-2013 12:30 PM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
For Southern Miss, they had a lot of young talented freshmen playing tis year. Pair that with a few strong recruiting classes and the couple be competitive in a couple years.

UTEP?
(11-29-2013 08:00 PM)STexMiner Wrote:  How long will UTEP be down? Well, it's going on 40+ years and counting.

I'm glad someone else said where my head first went. With a west division going forward with Southern Miss, LaTech, improving UTSA and Rice programs (an that's not even mentioning North Texas with some mojo), UTEP is less certain to assume they won't stay down over the long run.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2013 01:08 PM by CoachMaclid.)
11-30-2013 01:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.