Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Reflection, celebration on UC's Thanksgiving menu
Reflection, celebration on UC's Thanksgiving menu
Nov. 27, 2013 2:47 PM

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20131127&...iving-menu]
Members of UC's football team touch the casket of teammate Ben Flick during a Sept. 24 memorial service at Hamilton High School. / Enquirer file photo/Cara Owsley

Written by
Tom Groeschen

The Cincinnati Bearcats will eat a little turkey on Thanksgiving Day and celebrate their 9-2 football record, while thinking of their fallen and injured teammates.

UC is riding a six-game winning streak, but the memory of Sept. 21 will long remain. That night, Bearcats freshman offensive lineman Ben Flick was killed and freshman wide receivers Mark Barr and Javon Harrison were injured in an auto accident. Two weeks before that, senior quarterback Munchie Legaux suffered a gruesome season-ending knee injury against Illinois.

“I’m just happy we get a couple of days off to think about family and be thankful,” UC senior guard Austen Bujnoch said. “This team has been through a lot. I think it’s a special season, just because we’ve been through a lot.”

All told, UC has had more than a dozen players undergo various surgeries this season. Things lately have gotten better all around, and UC remains in contention for the American Athletic Conference championship.

The Bearcats have an open date this weekend and do not play again until next Thursday at 7:30 p.m. on ESPN, when Louisville visits for the regular season finale at Nippert Stadium. The game is nearly sold out, with both teams 6-1 in the AAC and chasing league leader Central Florida (6-0).

Bujnoch, an Elder High School graduate, said he may have some teammates dine at his family’s house on Thanksgiving Day. Some Bearcats who live within driving distance are going home for the weekend.

Many players who can’t get home, including more than a dozen from Florida, have been invited to the homes of their Cincinnati-area UC teammates.

Senior linebacker Greg Blair said he will be back home in Pittsburgh for the holiday.

“I’ll be spending Thanksgiving with my family,” Blair said. “Dinner and saying what we’re all thankful for, in a circle. The traditional stuff.”

UC coach Tommy Tuberville plans to spend Thanksgiving Day at home in Lawrenceburg. Tuberville’s wife, Suzanne, is from nearby Guilford, Ind.

“Being that this is my wife’s hometown, we’ll have a lot of family over Thursday,” Tuberville said. “I’m looking forward to spending time with a lot of family members, getting away totally from football. Although, my wife will tell you this, I watch more football on Thanksgiving than anybody. It’s a lot of fun.”

Tuberville said UC players will be off on both Thursday and Friday, return Saturday to lift weights, then resume Sunday with Louisville scouting reports.

“I want these guys to be totally fresh and not worry about any football game until Sunday about noon, and then the preparation is on,” Tuberville said.

Quote:UP NEXT
UC vs. Louisville
When: Thursday Dec. 5, 7:30 p.m.
TV: ESPN
Radio: WLW-AM (700)
Records: UC 9-2 (6-1 American Athletic Conference), Louisville 10-1 (6-1 AAC)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20131...iving-menu

11-27-2013 04:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.