Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaching Search Latest
Bookmark and Share
EagleHawk Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
Coaching Search Latest
Quote:We reached out to a few folks for an update and a few names we hear that administration has liked thus far include Toledo quarterbacks coach Scott "Izzy" Isphording, Colorado Pueblo head coach John Wristen and Buffalo Bills running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley among others.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop
11-26-2013 08:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

RE: Coaching Search Latest
Very interesting. I assume this mean that all of them applied.

Pueblo is one of the top D2 teams. They host GVSU this weekend.

Izzy was on Genyk's staff. Wasn't he the OC his final year?

Wheatley...I still don't think EMU should look at anyone that never been at least an OC or DC.
11-26-2013 09:34 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
In the same 'scoop' is whom UConn is supposedly looking (and not looking):

http://footballscoop.com/news/11739-update-at-uconn

Maybe some candidates that UConn likes will be on our radar.

I found Rob Ambrose interesting. He and his Towson team beat UConn in the season opener.
11-27-2013 04:29 AM
fbgab Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU
Ambrose will be in the FBS is a year or two. Might be a good get for EMU. He took Towson out of a hole, and has been solid in his time there.
11-27-2013 05:58 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

(11-27-2013 05:58 AM)fbgab Wrote:  Ambrose will be in the FBS is a year or two. Might be a good get for EMU. He took Towson out of a hole, and has been solid in his time there.

Agree, but UConn is supposedly interested so that mean:

EMU 450 - 500k, and a school with a very poor record of success vs.

UConn - 2 x the salary and a school he coached at and which has had success.

Lot of 1st choices on the EMU Eagles Nest could go elsewhere.

The notion that the choice for an Ambrose or Babers, etc. is a dichotomy: Stay FCS or come to EMU @ 2x the salary is both naive and tunnel vision.

Probably by Sunday morning there could be say 8 - 10 FBS jobs which will be open and we will migtht be the least attractive opening.

As a reminder, USA Today has had FBS coaches salaries and 400 - 450K is in the lowest 10% (10 percentile for those who think statistics). MAC HC salaries are poor even compared to C-USA, Sun Belt, etc. Find the chart and look at the 25th percentile, 50th percentile, 75th percentile, etc. There has been an explosion in HC salaries.

I haven't 'done my homework' but I wouldn't be surprised if every school hiring a new coach next month will offer more, probably much more, than EMU in salary, with Miami (O), being ball park. Otherwise, can we compete vs USC, UConn, etc.? Even Florida Atlantic?
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2013 07:19 AM by emu steve.)
11-27-2013 07:09 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

There could be a LOT of additional openings, e.g., (maybe), Illinois, UVa, Texas (retirement?), MSU (Mississippi State), Wyoming, even Nebraska (?), etc. etc.

A good non AQ-BCS team might lose their HC to be a bigger school (e.g., Illinois) and they'd compete with EMU for a new HC.
11-27-2013 07:28 AM
HuronRob Offline
Special Teams

Steve,

Well, the salary situation of MAC schools is one of the very obvious things that separates the MAC from CUSA and other conferences with similar sized schools. Yet, and this is a big YET, NIU is getting it done and competing, even with BIG schools, and NDSU is sitting at 11-0 and beat Kansas State (who had a lousy record), without paying their coaches in the $1M range. In other words, it can be done.

Rob
11-27-2013 11:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.