Still think Dayton doesn't belong?
Bookmark and Share
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Still think Dayton doesn't belong?
Won last week @ Georgia Tech.

Won last night in Maui over #10/11 Gonzaga.

Who knows... had they been added this season they may have won the Big East championship.
11-26-2013 09:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
RE: Still think Dayton doesn't belong?
(11-26-2013 09:59 AM)mlb Wrote:  Won last week @ Georgia Tech.

Who knows... had they been added this season they may have won the Big East championship.

It's what Dayton needs to do.
11-26-2013 10:10 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
I think Dayton would be a good add, but Dayton needs to not fall apart - again - in A-10 play. Step 1 was "getting rid of" Brian Gregory a few years back. Step 2 is winning.
11-26-2013 01:22 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(11-26-2013 01:22 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  I think Dayton would be a good add, but Dayton needs to not fall apart - again - in A-10 play. Step 1 was "getting rid of" Brian Gregory a few years back. Step 2 is winning.

Well... they did walk into Brian Gregory's new house and beat him. So that is a start.
11-26-2013 01:45 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
The only thing holding them back was their lack of success on the court. They seem to be changing that, which would make them a perfect fit. The Big East has to pay attention to them with the attendance that they deliver at home. Only Creighton and Marquette among Big East schools had higher attendance numbers last year and that was a typical season for Dayton.
11-26-2013 03:30 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
the thing also that Dayton would allow the Big East to do is if they took Dayton and SLU- if VCU continues to build and build and improve their resume even further- they aren't shut out by taking Richmond.
11-26-2013 04:41 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
Dayton had a home run hire in Archie Miller, IMO. The problem isn't going to be winning in the short term... it is going to be keeping him. Getting into the Big East would help to a certain extent, but more than anything getting into the Big East would allow them to replace him with another great coach.
11-26-2013 04:44 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
(11-26-2013 09:59 AM)mlb Wrote:  Won last week @ Georgia Tech.

Make it to a few NCAA tournaments first, nice wins though.
11-26-2013 04:50 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(11-26-2013 04:50 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  Make it to a few NCAA tournaments first, nice wins though.

You do realize that UD has more wins in the NCAA tourney than Creighton, right? Also a runner up and used to win the NIT back in the 50's when the NIT was the main tourney.
11-27-2013 03:31 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
its been said before and i know some dont want to believe it, but the BE presidents will most likely not make their decision based soley on recent on court success (or failure)
They will IMO pick someone that they would want to be associated with in good times and bad.
do the presidents of the BE schools believe dayton fits that mold?
11-27-2013 05:57 PM
LouPower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Saint Louis
(11-27-2013 05:57 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  its been said before and i know some dont want to believe it, but the BE presidents will most likely not make their decision based soley on recent on court success (or failure)
They will IMO pick someone that they would want to be associated with in good times and bad.

At this moment, nobody fills that mold.
11-27-2013 06:00 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(11-27-2013 06:00 PM)LouPower Wrote:  
(11-27-2013 05:57 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  its been said before and i know some dont want to believe it, but the BE presidents will most likely not make their decision based soley on recent on court success (or failure)

Saint Louis does.
11-27-2013 07:50 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports

it won't be solely but it will be a major factor. They aren't adding a team that sucks on the court. Especially if we have mediocre seasons leading up to the expansion.
11-27-2013 09:44 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(11-27-2013 07:50 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Saint Louis does.

How is that? Dayton has more NCAAT appearances from 2000 on (4 to 3). SLU has more NCAAT appearances from 1990 on (6 to 5).

I'm not sure how SLU fits that mold more than UD. I'm pretty sure Dayton has the larger attendance and budget. St. Louis is a new and larger market than Dayton, but that's about all they seemingly have in their favor.
11-28-2013 01:39 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

(11-27-2013 09:44 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

it won't be solely but it will be a major factor. They aren't adding a team that sucks on the court. Especially if we have mediocre seasons leading up to the expansion.

true, but i dont think Dayton sucks on the court. Are they a better long term fit than some other teams that have had more success lately? I guess my point really is if dayton and school "B" were both to go into a period of decline, which school would the BE prefer to be associated with?
11-28-2013 09:48 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Big East should Dayton and St. Louis. I know they are not eastern schools but they great fan support and will be no worse than NIT level teams most season. The American should have brought in UMass too. As long as those leagues sit on their on hands, the Atlantic-10 will continue to be a nice basketball conference.

It isn't the worst thing in the world if college basketball has 10 major conferences.
11-28-2013 10:37 AM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(11-28-2013 01:39 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

Saint Louis does.

How is that? Dayton has more NCAAT appearances from 2000 on (4 to 3). SLU has more NCAAT appearances from 1990 on (6 to 5).

I'm not sure how SLU fits that mold more than UD. I'm pretty sure Dayton has the larger attendance and budget. St. Louis is a new and larger market than Dayton, but that's about all they seemingly have in their favor.

How is that? Let's see, a catholic school in a large metropolitan area who's primary focus us basketball. Hmmmmm how does that fit the other schools of this conference?

Seriously, do you know what this league is about?
11-28-2013 01:24 PM
Know Nothing Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Big East
(11-28-2013 01:24 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(11-28-2013 01:39 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

Saint Louis does.

How is that? Let's see, a catholic school in a large metropolitan area who's primary focus us basketball. Hmmmmm how does that fit the other schools of this conference?

Seriously, do you know what this league is about?

Everything you just listed describes the Univ. of Dayton as well. I think that was his point.
11-28-2013 02:05 PM
LouPower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Saint Louis
St. Louis is a much bigger market than Dayton.

That said, they stopped at 10 for a reason.
11-28-2013 02:15 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2013 02:15 PM)LouPower Wrote:  St. Louis is a much bigger market than Dayton.

That said, they stopped at 10 for a reason.

i think its a forgone conclusion that st louis u is #11,
my guess is that the appeal of having a round robin with 10 was greater than going with 11 while they sorted out #12. Also losing 6 teams at the same time would be damaging to the a10. IMO that also played a part in the delay
11-28-2013 03:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.