Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Current Bubas Cup Standings
Bookmark and Share
lcitsh Offline
1st String

I Root For: sports
http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ABOUTTHESUN...asCup.aspx

Western Kentucky leads with 32 points, after four events. Football will be the last sport to give points this year, all the other sports will give points next year. There are 17 sports that apply to the standings, swimming and diving is gone from last year. Western Kentucky and South Alabama are the only two schools that field teams in all 17 sports.
11-20-2013 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: Current Bubas Cup Standings
(11-20-2013 03:24 PM)lcitsh Wrote:  http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ABOUTTHESUN...asCup.aspx

Western Kentucky leads with 32 points, after four events. Football will be the last sport to give points this year, all the other sports will give points next year. There are 17 sports that apply to the standings, swimming and diving is gone from last year. Western Kentucky and South Alabama are the only two schools that field teams in all 17 sports.

Where is MTSU fans? haha....
11-20-2013 03:25 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Third place, despite UTA being the only U to not play soccer. I will take that.
11-20-2013 04:04 PM
lcitsh Offline
1st String

I Root For: sports
(11-20-2013 04:04 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Third place, despite UTA being the only U to not play soccer. I will take that.

Yes, but add to soccer, football and women's golf and you will be missing out on a lot of points. I would imagine that with such strong placements in cross country that you will have a strong track and field program, which will take in four sports. Mop up on those and you could finish very high in the final standings.
11-20-2013 04:24 PM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(11-20-2013 03:25 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(11-20-2013 03:24 PM)lcitsh Wrote:  http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ABOUTTHESUN...asCup.aspx

Where is MTSU fans? haha....

Where, really? Very happy where we are. I thought they might retire the Bubas Cup after we left.
11-20-2013 07:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Go back to Space...raider.
11-20-2013 07:41 PM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
This will be the first time since they started counting football that we will be involved in every sport that is counted. Now we can start adding to our record of 10 Bubas Cups.04-rock
11-20-2013 07:48 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(11-20-2013 04:24 PM)lcitsh Wrote:  
(11-20-2013 04:04 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Third place, despite UTA being the only U to not play soccer. I will take that.

Yes, but add to soccer, football and women's golf and you will be missing out on a lot of points. I would imagine that with such strong placements in cross country that you will have a strong track and field program, which will take in four sports. Mop up on those and you could finish very high in the final standings.

TXST took 3 of the 4 T&F championships, last year, in the WAC. I think we'll have some sort of say in the points awarded this year in the SBC.

Our Golf teams have been in the top 2/3 each of the past 4 years

Baseball is going to be a lot of fun to watch, too.

I'm pleased we're in 5th (so far), as newbies.
11-20-2013 11:54 PM
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
TXST basketball might just kill our chances
11-21-2013 02:55 PM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
No worries ya'll, WKU will likely finish near the bottom in golf and tennis. That's four sports and lots of points. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Cup winner this year.
11-21-2013 04:55 PM
Heisman

(11-20-2013 04:24 PM)lcitsh Wrote:  

That's usually our MO. We can usually count on one good fall finish, 1-2 middle of the packs and 0-1 lower places. To have both our CC teams finish so high and the VB team do decently is encouraging.

I think our winter sports will hurt us. The women's team is rebuilding and has embarrassing losses. The men's team has been sooo streaky this year.

But our spring always does well and puts us back in the middle of the all-sports. Between our T&T teams, the two tennis and baseball and softball, we usually finish top half minimum and sometimes a third place finish is highly disappointing.

Catmom is right, TXST is usually right up there. For many years, it was us or TXST to win the conference meet, before SFA started actually trying and having success. UTSA also started finding a groove in the later years of our time in the SLC.

That's also how it was in the WAC and I don't see much to contradict that so far in what I have seen from Belt schools.

But you are right, those three sports missing have always hurt us. That is part of the reason I have advocated bring on either W golf or W soccer. Many people want it for Title IX purposes and football, but even poorer finishes would have raised our spot in the all-sports standings by a place or two.

But it is what it is and one reason I have said we will be a good addition to any non-P5 conference. We don't have football, but we will raise the profile of most sports.
11-21-2013 09:23 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

Current point totals counting football:
1) Western Kentucky - 36.75
2) Arkansas State - 31.5
3) South Alabama - 30.25
4) Louisiana-Lafayette - 26.5
5) UT-Arlington - 25
6) Texas State - 22.5
7) Arkansas-LR - 19.5
8) Troy - 17.25
9) Georgia State - 14.5
10) Louisiana-Monroe - 13.25

Here's the points per sport tally:
1) UT-Arlington - 8.333
2) Western Kentucky - 7.35
3) Arkansas State - 6.3
4) South Alabama - 6.05
5) Louisiana-Lafayette - 5.3
6) Arkansas-LR - 4.875
7) Texas State - 4.5
8) Georgia State - 3.625
9) Troy - 3.45
10) Louisiana-Monroe - 2.65
01-23-2014 10:32 AM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
The Bubas Cup is flawed for so many reasons; it really is a poor way to determine an all-sports champion.

Edit: And no that's not because ULM is last, we all know what that is. So you can save the school insults.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014 10:46 AM by warhawk09.)
01-23-2014 10:45 AM
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies
(01-23-2014 10:45 AM)warhawk09 Wrote:  The Bubas Cup is flawed for so many reasons; it really is a poor way to determine an all-sports champion.

Edit: And no that's not because ULM is last, we all know what that is. So you can save the school insults.

Why, in your opinion, is it flawed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-23-2014 10:55 AM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(11-21-2013 04:55 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  No worries ya'll, WKU will likely finish near the bottom in golf and tennis. That's four sports and lots of points. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Cup winner this year.

Didn't MTSU win it last year, so we're guaranteed to have a new champ?
01-23-2014 11:28 AM
WKUApollo Offline

(01-23-2014 11:28 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(11-21-2013 04:55 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  No worries ya'll, WKU will likely finish near the bottom in golf and tennis. That's four sports and lots of points. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Cup winner this year.

Didn't MTSU win it last year, so we're guaranteed to have a new champ?

LOL...of course..but what I meant was that there'd be someone new to win it besides WKU. WKU and MTSU were the only winners of the Cup for the last dozen years.
01-23-2014 11:34 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

Because football isn't weighted more heavily than other sports is my guess.
01-23-2014 11:40 AM
WKUApollo Offline

(01-23-2014 11:40 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Because football isn't weighted more heavily than other sports is my guess.

There have been some here who have argued that football should be weighted higher but I think it's more about the fact that the weighting across the board is skewed. Some sports have more participants than others and thus those sports have more weight in the scoring. In addition, some have argued that there should be additional points for championships. In essence, much like MTSU winning the last few years, they didn't win many championships as others but won the overall award.
01-23-2014 11:47 AM
Heisman

So in essence, what every conference B itches about when it comes to their commissioners cup.
01-23-2014 12:16 PM
WKUApollo Offline

(01-23-2014 12:16 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  So in essence, what every conference B itches about when it comes to their commissioners cup.

Exactly. LOL. Everyone wants the numbers to come out in their school's favor.
01-23-2014 12:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.