Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Go to the game Saturday? Or watch it on tv?
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Go to the game Saturday? Or watch it on tv?
20 degrees temperature forecasted by end of game. 30 degrees to start the game. But no rain is forecasted and skies are to be clear.

Then there is the 70 inch tv located next to the fireplace and the recliner.

Go to the game on Saturday? Or watch it on tv?
11-20-2013 08:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
RE: Go to the game Saturday? Or watch it on tv?
(11-20-2013 08:17 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  20 degrees temperature forecasted by end of game. 30 degrees to start the game. But no rain is forecasted and skies are to be clear.

Definitely go to the game. It's about the experience, A good tailgate with friends, steaks and brandy can make up for a lot of cold.
11-20-2013 08:59 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(11-20-2013 08:59 AM)NYCTUFan Wrote:  
(11-20-2013 08:17 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  20 degrees temperature forecasted by end of game. 30 degrees to start the game. But no rain is forecasted and skies are to be clear.

Definitely go to the game. It's about the experience, A good tailgate with friends, steaks and brandy can make up for a lot of cold.

A bottle of Bourbon in the back pocket helps a lot!04-bow
11-20-2013 09:19 AM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
Go. There is nothing like being at a college football game. I don't care if it's division III or a P5 game...it's all good when you're there.
11-20-2013 09:31 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-20-2013 09:19 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  

+3
11-20-2013 10:20 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse

Kegerator near the recliner??
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2013 10:56 AM by orangefan.)
11-20-2013 10:55 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Go to the game wussie, real football fans suffer with their team! 07-coffee3
11-20-2013 11:10 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
Missouri will be at Oxford Saturday night. The high will be 50, but it's expected to drop to 23 degrees overnight. I just hope it stays above freezing for the game.
11-20-2013 11:19 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK

Now, I'm not saying you specifically are a problem, but there many with a similar attitude who can't handle their booze who make the gameday experience a drag. Especially for kids. So I'm staying at the house.
11-20-2013 12:16 PM
Hokie4Skins Online
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
The live experience is becoming more and more overrated as the in home viewing experience continues to get better.
11-20-2013 12:56 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(11-20-2013 12:56 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  The live experience is becoming more and more overrated as the in home viewing experience continues to get better.

Eh apples and oranges.

No surround system and large HDTV can replace me catching up with old friends in the tailgate area, the smell of the concessions cooking, walking over to the Lewis's stand and getting a perfect pulled pork sandwich, watching the teams workout before the game, the band playing the alma mater and then going into formation for the team to come out and playing the Fight Song, Howl (the mascot) riding a motorcycle ahead of the team. Talking about the game with guys around me that I've sat with for years (some for 4 decades, the newbie for just over a decade), my game day friends that I would see six times a year and never hear from outside of the stadium until social media came along.

The joy of watching a game live outside in perfect weather and the personal pride in toughing it out when the weather sucks.

TV cannot replicate any of that.
11-20-2013 01:11 PM
Advertisement

NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(11-20-2013 12:16 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

Now, I'm not saying you specifically are a problem, but there many with a similar attitude who can't handle their booze who make the gameday experience a drag. Especially for kids. So I'm staying at the house.

I agree, I am one of the first who complain about drunks (students and adults, but by far the adults are worse) dropping F bombs all over the stadium when I am there with my wife and kids.

However, adults needs to be expected to exercise a bit of self control and everything in moderation. Most of the people I see guilty of poor behavior and not being conscious of their surroundings suffer from a complete lack of class, manners, and simple everyday respect for others. While the alcohol may exasperate the situation, the people themselves are the problem, drinking or not.
11-20-2013 01:18 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-20-2013 12:56 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  The live experience is becoming more and more overrated as the in home viewing experience continues to get better.

The live experience is the best of all. I have been a loyal fan over these many decades when, truth be told, my teams mostly were losers over those many decades. But I always supported them.

But something has changed. I had a 42 inch tv. It was the best tv I ever had. Then, I splurged and bought a 70 inch LED, 3D, and another D in there or something.....and that 70 inch tv is no longer a tv; it feels like a movie theater, especially with the upgraded sound system. The screen is so broad that it feels to me, at times, like if I am on the 50 yard line or Press Box.

When your team plays schools like Savanah State and Lamar, that isn't a football game. That's homicide. Do I pay $80/$100 ticket for that kind of game? I don't.

The way I look at this 70 inch tv with its sound system....it cost me a huge pile of bucks. But the experience with it is superb and I don't have to spend $80/$100 bucks for a Savannah State or Lamar game, game if you can call it that. This 70 inch tv, the way I look at it, is paying back the huge bucks I spend on it.

I just recovered from strep throat that got away on me and starting causing breathing problems. I had to go to a doctor and get an antibiotic prescription to get rid of it. The holidays are coming up and a huge family gathering.

In the old days, I would go to the game on the Saturday. But, now, I have this 70 inch tv, superb sound system, a fireplace, and a comfortable recliner...as an option.

What to do?

FWIW, I won't go to a game where the opponent is IAA or a Savannah State. I want to continue to be a loyal fan as I have been these many years. BUt if the school charges $80/$100 a seat, I won't accept that for a Savannah State or Lamar. I will instead enjoy this marvelous 70 tv set where I can click around and find many more interesting and challenging games. I am a fan. But some of our alma maters are abusing us with their aggressive dumping of inferior product on us and expecting us to pony up over and over. Enough is enough!

Some schools have had drop offs in attendance....and just wonder if the superb coverage by tv accompanied by these movie screen humongous tvs are contributing to the declines in attendance some schools are experiencing.
11-20-2013 01:25 PM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
Depends of the opponent and how far the drive is. I'm with you, I'm not driving 5hrs up and back,spending hundreds for lodging and gas money to watch my team eat a cupcake in 20 degree weather.
11-20-2013 02:33 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(11-20-2013 02:33 PM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  Depends of the opponent and how far the drive is. I'm with you, I'm not driving 5hrs up and back,spending hundreds for lodging and gas money to watch my team eat a cupcake in 20 degree weather.

Now that is a whole other scenario, when you are an out of town fan. I live about six (6) miles from the stadium. 07-coffee3
11-20-2013 02:55 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
If it's one of my teams in an important (or semi-important) game, I go even if it's 20 degrees. If my team is 0-8, I might stay at home.

SMU tickets are $20 in the end zone ($120 for the entire year). Parking is free. Attendance is around 20K per game, so there's plenty of room to stretch out. No professional sport can beat that value. I don't know of any entertainment option that can beat that value.
11-20-2013 10:38 PM
Advertisement

wrcwolf Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
It's an issue athletic departments need to figure out. All of the experiences of going to a live game are a strong pull, but so is watching at home with multiple Tv's watching multiple games at the same time and with cold beer and good food a few feet away that one can get easily. With the down time between plays, it's easy to follow 3 to 5 games at once.

As with professional stadiums, college stadiums are going to need to improve the stadium experience. WiFi, highlights or live coverage of other games on the jumbotron or other video boards, beer/wine, quality food besides hot dogs, popcorn or nachos, high-end restaurants inside the stadium, etc.... Different customer today and the entertainment package usually trickles down from the pros in this case.
11-21-2013 12:29 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
It is 20 degrees today, currently sleeting, and the wind is blowing. Don't know what the wind chill factor is.
11-22-2013 03:33 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

If I live in Minnesota or North Dakota -- go to the game.

If I live in North Carolina -- 70'' TV wins.
11-22-2013 04:32 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I'm two hours away. I expect AState to handle GaSt by halftime, end of the third at worst, but it's senior day and it is a must win for bowl hopes. I'll be outside in a predicted 46 degrees and falling at kickoff sitting in the shade and hoping the wind isn't coming out of the north.

If we were out of bowl contention or playing an FCS, I might have second thoughts.
11-22-2013 06:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.