via @TOLFootballEQ
11-18-2013 01:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Online
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
RE: Brace Yourselves
If we're going to wear pink, why not wear it in October? Makes absolutely 0 sense.
11-18-2013 01:29 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Biggest game of the year and we're going to come out in pink jerseys...on national tv? I'm ok with the socks, wristbands, etc....but jerseys and helmets are going too far. wtf....can't we just play the game and make a statement with our play?
11-18-2013 01:30 PM
IamN2daRockets Offline
1st String

I Root For: UT Rockets -
I hope not!
11-18-2013 01:49 PM
utxctrack Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Toledo
Grow up.
11-18-2013 01:51 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
I know it goes to a good cause. (Even if most of the money goes to everything but cancer research) But, I'm so sick of this whole wear pink infestation of anything fun in this country.
11-18-2013 01:58 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Jerseys aren't pink
11-18-2013 02:06 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Not opposed to supporting the cause, but didn't this ship sail a month ago? October is BC awareness month and a lot of schools have been honoring vets for Veteran's day in November, i.e. Northwestern. Or like NIU last week, even though I thought their jerseys were meh...Their pants almost looked pink on TV.

When I saw the pink note in the marketing materials, I groaned. I'm on pink overload and it's to the point when the cause is being diluted and people are just looking to make money, i.e. we're looking to sell tickets. At the grocery store I saw paper plates with pink ribbon, hoping you'd buy their plates over other brands. Prostate cancer kills almost as many men and we don't have brown outs. Bad analogy, but you get my point.

I agree Tampa. Too many gimics to try and fill seats. Just play the damn game. It just doesn't set well with me that win or lose this game we might be playing this home game in pink jerseys, we should be in midnight blue. Color shouldn't matter on the field, but last time I checked we were the home team and should come out in our dark uni's. (this season, blue or black, or whatever we wear.) Plus Pink is also a lighter shade of red, which is the opposition's color!
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2013 02:09 PM by emanoh.)
11-18-2013 02:06 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
A buddy just said his wife's boss bought 100 tickets to "help the cause" and sell out and pack the glass bowl. Thought that angle was much cooler than disguising it as a pink out.
11-18-2013 02:08 PM
AquaRocket Offline
Special Teams

Let's forget about what they're wearing and focus on the important stuff... BEATIG niu!!
11-18-2013 02:16 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Jerseys are either white, black, blue, or grey...I won't say.
11-18-2013 02:26 PM
Advertisement

TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(11-18-2013 02:26 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Jerseys are either white, black, blue, or grey...I won't say.

Exactly...hand out a pink T-shirt to every ticket holder if you want and have a freaking pink out at the Glass Bowl...just let our team wear their blue or black unis. We have a tough enough time staying focused for 60 mins...the last thing we need is a slow start due to our guys being more concerned with how they look. Remember Reedy's 1st half vs CMU last year...

And I hate having to give disclaimers to my posts...but...I'm not insensitive to the cause. I'm hear to talk football.

Go Rockets!
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2013 02:43 PM by TampaRocket.)
11-18-2013 02:42 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Amen Tampa....We don't need any distractions this week.
11-18-2013 02:44 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
Agree with all the objections. Should have been done in Oct. UA wanted it done on National TV so we're doing it in Nov. Makes it feel disingenuous. Many feel "over-pinked."

End of the day, it has become part of our national culture. It's a normal AND expected thing to kids today. Like "March of Dimes" and helping poor African kids was to my generation, "Pink" is to today's kids. Let's them know that they can make a difference. And the uniforms actually do look kind of cool.

I'm gonna roll with it.

Go Rockets!
11-18-2013 04:19 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
Ugh.

I know we haven't had the best home schedule this season, but there were 2 home games in October. Coulda picked one of those. Maybe the jerseys didn't get here in time. Nothing against the cause at all--but I wish we were wearing all blue instead for this big game.
11-18-2013 04:22 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(11-18-2013 01:51 PM)utxctrack Wrote:  Grow up.

Could you be more specific? This is a sports board. That statement could apply to any of us. Or all of us as a set piece.
11-18-2013 04:27 PM
Advertisement

T4C8 Offline
T4C8

Pink game is the niu game cause under armour wanted to be sure they would be on national television
11-18-2013 04:29 PM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

And for the record I think the jerseys are sweet
11-18-2013 04:30 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
(11-18-2013 04:27 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(11-18-2013 01:51 PM)utxctrack Wrote:  Grow up.

Could you be more specific? This is a sports board. That statement could apply to any of us. Or all of us as a set piece.

I think we all grew up since his last post. At the very least, I have aged. I'm also not sure what he's talking about.

I also am not sure why Toledo is wearing them in November unless they are having some sort of individual night towards awareness.

I know many have talked about the "pink washing" and what not. I'm not sure I have an opinion either way or am educated enough on that topic, but I'd love to see other causes get recognized. It seems like every sport recognizes this, sometimes a cause that is less known could get a huge lift from just one evening. Not saying they aren't worthy, but breast cancer awareness steals the spotlight.

As someone who lost a parent as a teenager to melanoma (an extremely deadly cancer) it sometimes sucks to watch this cause gain so much momentum and other causes fall by the wayside.

Any way, rant over. I look forward to the game ahead. Best of luck, no injuries, I'll enjoy the warm weather of Texas and not be cold, and Go Huskies! 04-cheers
11-18-2013 04:33 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
This is also senior night for us, focus on the seniors, not some "cause." I can't believe the team is up for this one?

Not that the cause isn't important, but really how does the cause benefit aside from branding somthing that is already over branded. No money is being exchanged towards a cure. If you want to make a difference lend your time and money to the cause. The cause would be further advanced if Under Armor took the money they used to produce the shirts and give it to research, that would make more of a difference. IMO.
11-18-2013 04:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.