Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would AAC Take WV Back?
HPbull24 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USF
Would AAC Take WV Back?
I was reading in another forum and it seems as if some WV fans are coming to a realization that although the money is good, WV and the B12 aren't a good fit due to the ridiculous travel for the athletic programs and for fans in general. I wonder if chasing greener pastures will ultimately backfire on their program.

I have said all along that once WV decided to go to the B12 that it would put a nail in the coffin as far as Florida recruiting was concerned. WV made a living off of Florida talent while in the big east because the recruits new that their parents and friends would be able to see them play in the state of Florida "UM" and then "USF" and at least catch a game on TV since it is the east coast.
11-17-2013 07:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
RE: Would AAC Take WV Back?
WVA isn't coming back…you don't trade 20mil for 2 mil no matter how bad your program blows.
11-17-2013 07:07 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Wow, this a nonsense thread.
11-17-2013 07:09 PM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
Guessing the only way they would come back is if the AAC made a Boise St/MWC conference deal where they could make more money from TV and if they made a BCS Bowl, they got to keep all the money. Even with that they are not coming back. They chased the money and they got it but with that money will come a lot of mediocre years in the Big12. It is the deal they signed up for but at least they have the dream of winning in a big time conference and if you are going to get curb stomped it might as well be by Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, TT, Baylor etc...
11-17-2013 07:13 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(11-17-2013 07:01 PM)HPbull24 Wrote:  I was reading in another forum and it seems as if some WV fans are coming to a realization that although the money is good, WV and the B12 aren't a good fit due to the ridiculous travel for the athletic programs and for fans in general. I wonder if chasing greener pastures will ultimately backfire on their program.

I have said all along that once WV decided to go to the B12 that it would put a nail in the coffin as far as Florida recruiting was concerned. WV made a living off of Florida talent while in the big east because the recruits new that their parents and friends would be able to see them play in the state of Florida "UM" and then "USF" and at least catch a game on TV since it is the east coast.

I don't know what you saw or where you saw it, but I think you are completely incorrect.

I live in Morgantown. There is NO desire for WVU to enter into the AAC. The Big East is gone. The AAC is untenable. If you actually heard a "fan" saying that they wanted into the AAC, it was merely somebody who was blowing a little steam and I guaran-damn-tee you that when they were done they realized how stupid they sounded.

WVU ***might*** want to go to the ACC...because the ACC is for the most part the old Big East. But there is no friggin' way WVU will EVER ask to join the AAC, and if they did, the bodies of the President and AD would be found hanging from the branches the next morning.
11-17-2013 07:14 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
I wonder what TCU fans think.

All those top 5-10 teams, all that BCS bowl glory, and now they are utterly irrelevant in the basement of the Big 12, and won't even see any bowl this year, much less the BCS. Sure, they got paid, but ultimately, what does that matter? They already had plenty of money.
11-17-2013 07:16 PM
Advertisement

ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(11-17-2013 07:16 PM)Kronke Wrote:  I wonder what TCU fans think.

All those top 5-10 teams, all that BCS bowl glory, and now they are utterly irrelevant in the basement of the Big 12, and won't even see any bowl this year, much less the BCS. Sure, they got paid, but ultimately, what does that matter? They already had plenty of money.

It is the flip side of having the great dream of making it to the Big Time. Living in South Carolina, I have watched decades of the Gamecocks being mostly irrelevant in College Football and still irrelevant in College Basketball. If ECU fans had our wet dream come true and the SEC sent us an invite tomorrow it would mean a ton of money, Ficklen Stadium expanded to 70k seats and it would also probably mean a decade of 4-7 win seasons. I know a lot of our fans think SEC membership would be a magic bullet that would make us National contenders over night but by and large the same programs are consistently in the Top 15 of the country year after year. Teams make an occasional run and that is fun to watch but for most of us it is holding out hope for a magical season. I think if ECU magically got an ACC invite that we would have a much better shot at being a player in the Conference as the ACC is not a juggernaut when it comes to Football. ECU has a better chance of Vince McMahon cutting a check for $100 million to get us in the SEC then the ACC ever inviting us.
11-17-2013 07:37 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs

TCU was never that good. They got ranked highly by winning games against very weak MWC competition (UNM, Wyoming...) and getting a couple of wins over an overrated BYU team, a decent Utah team, and a win in 2005 over a hugely overrated OU team. They went to the Rose Bowl based on this supposed great run and barely beat a Wisconsin team that could run for 5 yards any time they wanted to but for some reason threw the ball 21 times not including their decision to try to throw the ball on a two-point conversion.

TCU and Utah both got call-ups to big-time leagues based on their "performance" in the MWC and both have been exposed. That league simply padded the win totals of those schools as the bottom of the league was extremely weak.
11-17-2013 07:42 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(11-17-2013 07:37 PM)ShoreBuc Wrote:  

It is the flip side of having the great dream of making it to the Big Time. Living in South Carolina, I have watched decades of the Gamecocks being mostly irrelevant in College Football and still irrelevant in College Basketball. If ECU fans had our wet dream come true and the SEC sent us an invite tomorrow it would mean a ton of money, Ficklen Stadium expanded to 70k seats and it would also probably mean a decade of 4-7 win seasons. I know a lot of our fans think SEC membership would be a magic bullet that would make us National contenders over night but by and large the same programs are consistently in the Top 15 of the country year after year. Teams make an occasional run and that is fun to watch but for most of us it is holding out hope for a magical season. I think if ECU magically got an ACC invite that we would have a much better shot at being a player in the Conference as the ACC is not a juggernaut when it comes to Football. ECU has a better chance of Vince McMahon cutting a check for $100 million to get us in the SEC then the ACC ever inviting us.

Good perspective. Everything is becoming so top heavy in football again with the mega TV deals and four team playoff.

ECU's best shot to be a regular Top 25 program in a long time is now as a member of the AAC. CUSA and CSTV was killing the program, IMO.
11-17-2013 07:44 PM
apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
Yes, the AAC would take WVU in a heartbeat. WVU, however, would never come back.
11-17-2013 07:45 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Another question along these lines.......

If they Big 12 were to dissolve and WVU and TCU had NO P5 suitors, would they decide to go together to the MWC? To the AAC? Would they split?
If things don't work out for the Big 12 and no P5 conference picks them up. Where does each school end up?
11-17-2013 07:49 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(11-17-2013 07:45 PM)apex_pirate Wrote:  Yes, the AAC would take WVU in a heartbeat. WVU, however, would never come back.

To be absolutely fair, WVU would not be "coming back." They were never members of this conference. The conference they belonged to no longer exists. But you're right, WVU would never join the AAC.

Look... There is a certain amount of longing for the Big East right now in Morgantown. But let's be clear... Here is the conference that WVU misses: Virginia Tech, Miami (the real one), Boston College, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Temple. They most certainly are not missing the reconstituted Big East, and the letters "AAC" don't mean anything to Mountaineer fans. I am deadly serious about that... You mention "AAC" or "The American" in this town and NOBODY knows what you are talking about.

It would be similar to Cincinnati pining for the old CUSA days. That conference is no longer in existence. The most similar conference to CUSA is "The American." 03-puke
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2013 07:57 PM by BearcatJerry.)
11-17-2013 07:56 PM
apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
(11-17-2013 07:49 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Another question along these lines.......

If they Big 12 were to dissolve and WVU and TCU had NO P5 suitors, would they decide to go together to the MWC? To the AAC? Would they split?
If things don't work out for the Big 12 and no P5 conference picks them up. Where does each school end up?

Why would WVU go to the MWC? They aren't any better than the AAC and light years away in travel, even compared to the Big XII. WVU would take whatever their best option was, but that wouldn't be the MWC.
11-17-2013 07:57 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

If WVU was "back on the market" I wouldn't be surprised if the the ACC would snatch them up because of what they bring to the league in tradition and rivalry purposes.
11-17-2013 08:04 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2013 08:04 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

If WVU was "back on the market" I wouldn't be surprised if the the ACC would snatch them up because of what they bring to the league in tradition and rivalry purposes.

Well, the question was "if" one of the power conferences decided not to pick up TCU or WVU "if" the Big 12 were ever to dissolve.

Would the AAC accept two teams that sued them/BE and left badly knowing they would do the same thing in a heart beat?

Would the MWC accept TCU back?
11-17-2013 08:17 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs

IMO they would build a "best of what's left" conference
11-17-2013 08:19 PM
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2013 08:19 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  

IMO they would build a "best of what's left" conference

Which teams would leave their conferences to join them? Not discrediting your thoughts at all because I was thinking something similar. What teams would leave their current conference to join a WVU/TCU combo "new" conference?
11-17-2013 08:24 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-17-2013 08:17 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
(11-17-2013 08:04 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

Well, the question was "if" one of the power conferences decided not to pick up TCU or WVU "if" the Big 12 were ever to dissolve.

Would the AAC accept two teams that sued them/BE and left badly knowing they would do the same thing in a heart beat?

Would the MWC accept TCU back?

The problem with the question is the B12 isn't going to dissolve. There are too many schools there that aren't PAC/SEC/B1G candidates for it to disappear.

There is no better place for Iowa State, K-State, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor and WVU to go other then where they are presently at. If UT, OU, OSU and Kansas all left I'm sure that group would stick together and try to add Memphis, Houston, UC and maybe Tulane into it before they would dissolve.

The general B12 conference name alright has rights to go to B14 or B16 if the need arises. There is a real chance they would continue to be able to get a contract bowl with the Cotton even with defections from OU/UT. The league would still be on relatively high ground.
11-17-2013 08:31 PM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(11-17-2013 07:45 PM)apex_pirate Wrote:  Yes, the AAC would take WVU in a heartbeat. WVU, however, would never come back.

^ This.
11-17-2013 08:44 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
the premise of the thread is dumb
11-17-2013 08:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.