Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pitt vs UNC
alexander80 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNC
Exclamation Pitt vs UNC
I remember that we had a longish running series with each other back in the late 70's-early 80's. Very competitive games as I recall, and good clean hard-hitting football. Here's hoping for
more of the same. Should be an exciting game for anyone to watch. Good luck to you all.

Some history: I was sitting in the upper deck at Kenan for the Pitt game about 30 years ago, and Pitt was highly ranked. Your starter at QB was a senior but had a shakey 1st half. With about a minute to go in the half, your coach pulled his starter and sent in a freshman to finish the half.

The kid proceeded to throw 3 long bomb passes on consecutive downs. All incomplete. What amazed me was that all three passes looked like punts, FROM THE UPPER DECK. The entire stadium "OOHH ED. Never personally seen anyone pass like that.

Pretty sure that kid was Dan Marino and I'll never forget it.
11-13-2013 09:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: Pitt vs UNC
Welcome to the board...

I'm well too young to remember that moment... I do remember the Car Care Bowl from a few years back. Fun game.
11-13-2013 10:49 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I don't quite remember that but it probably was Danny Marino. He was UNREAL at Pitt (as you may have imagined). The QB that he split time with was a guy named Rick Trocano. Trocano was from Cleveland and a very tough kid but obviously no Danny Marino. Still, Trocano played in the NFL for a while as a backup so he was no slouch.

The Pitt/UNC game I most remember was a game in the early 80s in Pittsburgh that was a nationally televised night game so it had to be moved from Pitt Stadium - which had no lights at the time - to Three Rivers Stadium. I think it was the season opener but I am not 100 percent certain. That was so bizarre to watch Pitt playing in an NFL stadium. Now, we do it every week.

Anyway, if memory serves - and it often does not these days - Pitt won a very sloppy low scoring game, 7-6 or something like that. Basically, UNC had a GREAT RB named Kelvin Bryant and we basically just sold out to stop him. I'm not sure what he did in the NFL but he was like the USFL's best player along with Anthony Carter and Bobby Hebert. I think he played for the Philadelphia Stars and he was studly.
11-13-2013 11:30 PM
alexander80 Offline
Water Engineer

I guess I'm showing my age. The Marino game was in'78 or'79. Can't remember who won but will never forget those 3 cannon shots. The Car Care Bowl was yet another close game between us-
they all seemed to be. Late field goal by you guys for the win.

That 7-6 game rings a bell mainly because of the score. Kelvin Bryant was an amazing talent- track star speed yet with lateral quickness. Tough and durable too. Sadly, he blew out his knee on the old astro-turf at Georgia Tech. The Redskins took him on a chance he'd return to form. I think he only stayed two years though.
11-14-2013 03:22 PM
Advertisement

mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
Bryant went to USFL first & I think won league MVP one year after that he was a role player on some of Joe Gibbs skins team
11-14-2013 04:00 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
That game was in 1979.
Carolina won 17-7 (it was Pitt's only loss for the year).
Buddy Curry played great for the Heels.
11-14-2013 05:07 PM
alexander80 Offline
Water Engineer

I've been busy since Saturday and also wanted to collect my thoughts about the game. Another close, hard fought battle. I am impressed with your team on both sides of the ball. Savage had lots of beautiful passes and really gutted it out after the injury. Hope he's healed up. Your running back gave us fits everytime he got the ball. Apparently he hates to be tackled(and he's a freshman?). Your team showed a lot of heart in the 2nd half and the crowd noise started messing with our team's head. Neither team beat the other. I think we just got lucky at the end. Sounds like you all were gracious hosts and we hope to return the favor when you visit next year. You only need 1 more win to get to a bowl so GOOD LUCK the rest of the way!
11-18-2013 05:18 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-18-2013 05:18 PM)alexander80 Wrote:  I've been busy since Saturday and also wanted to collect my thoughts about the game. Another close, hard fought battle. I am impressed with your team on both sides of the ball. Savage had lots of beautiful passes and really gutted it out after the injury. Hope he's healed up. Your running back gave us fits everytime he got the ball. Apparently he hates to be tackled(and he's a freshman?). Your team showed a lot of heart in the 2nd half and the crowd noise started messing with our team's head. Neither team beat the other. I think we just got lucky at the end. Sounds like you all were gracious hosts and we hope to return the favor when you visit next year. You only need 1 more win to get to a bowl so GOOD LUCK the rest of the way!

Thanks, we have something like 18 freshman on the two deep.

Our fan base is ready to jump off a cliff though....if they haven't already.
11-18-2013 06:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.