Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East committed Fraud
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Big East committed Fraud
Jurich gives notice in October of 2011. He says even if the Big 12 chooses West Virginia, Louisville will leave in 2014.

Marinatto and Genshaft try to change his mind and cannot. So they ask him NOT to file a written notice as it would be discoverable under FOIA. They worried what the disclosure would do to the Big East's stability.

Jurich agrees, but verbally tells other current Big East ADs

Two months later, like 5 bumps on a log, Houston, UCF, SMU, Boise and SDSU accept an invitation to join the Big East.

IF WE DID NOT KNOW THAT:

1. Louisville was leaving, and
2. All the other Big East schools KNEW that Louisville was leaving

I'm not sure we would have signed an agreement that looked like this:

1. Entry fee of $2.5M
2. $5M exit fee if we did not join the Big East by July 2013
3. $10M exit fee once we joined the league officially

Hell, the Big East needed us to survive at that point. Plus, we were obviously under a false impression of the TV value of the league. And a false impression of the stability of the league.

We could have negotiated a sweetheart deal had we known all the facts, including:

1. A much smaller entry fee, and
2. A lion's share of the Big East exit fees from schools like WVa, Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 04:21 PM by CougarRed.)
11-13-2013 04:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

RE: Big East committed Fraud
(11-13-2013 04:14 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Jurich gives notice in October of 2011. He says even if the Big 12 chooses West Virginia, Louisville will leave in 2014.

Marinatto and Genshaft try to change his mind and cannot. So they ask him NOT to file a written notice as it would be discoverable under FOIA. They worried what the disclosure would do to the Big East's stability.

Two months later, like 5 bumps on a log, Houston, UCF, SMU, Boise and SDSU accept an invitation to join the Big East.

IF WE DID NOT KNOW THAT:

1. Entry fee of $2.5M

Hell, the Big East needed us to survive at that point. We could have negotiated a sweetheart deal had we known all the facts, including:

2. A lion's share of the Big East exit fees from schools like WVa, Pitt, Syracuse and ND

If accurate, this might be why the newbies are actually getting realignment fund money. Technically, the new schools wouldn't be in line to receive anything from that fund.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 04:23 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-13-2013 04:23 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(11-13-2013 04:23 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(11-13-2013 04:14 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Jurich gives notice in October of 2011. He says even if the Big 12 chooses West Virginia, Louisville will leave in 2014.

IF WE DID NOT KNOW THAT:

1. Entry fee of $2.5M

Hell, the Big East needed us to survive at that point. We could have negotiated a sweetheart deal had we known all the facts, including:

2. A lion's share of the Big East exit fees from schools like WVa, Pitt, Syracuse and ND

If accurate, this might be why the newbies are actually getting realignment fund money. Technically, the new schools wouldn't be in line to receive anything from that fund.

Correct the 60-40 breakdown was not the original plan. As I showed in the other tread the newcomers will make around 6 million a year or more going forward between tv,bowl, basketball units and exit fees that's still better than they were making in CUSA or had they gone to MWC
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 04:26 PM by Cubanbull.)
11-13-2013 04:24 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(11-13-2013 04:23 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

IF WE DID NOT KNOW THAT:

1. Entry fee of $2.5M

Exactly...
11-13-2013 04:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Don't really see it. Louisville had given verbal notice, but it was more of a hope than anything. They had no invite, and if RU and Maryland don't leave, there is no more openings. Louisville could have very well been stuck in the BE past 27 months if there hadn't been further shakeups, in which case he would have had to rescind his termination notice.
11-13-2013 04:28 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(11-13-2013 04:28 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Don't really see it. Louisville had given verbal notice, but it was more of a hope than anything. They had no invite, and if RU and Maryland don't leave, there is no more openings. Louisville could have very well been stuck in the BE past 27 months if there hadn't been further shakeups, in which case he would have had to rescind his termination notice.

He took a gamble and paid off. If no invite came he knew the AAC would had gladly rescinded that letter and welcomed them back
11-13-2013 04:29 PM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Yes!!! Sue them!
11-13-2013 04:32 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(11-13-2013 04:28 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Don't really see it. Louisville had given verbal notice, but it was more of a hope than anything. They had no invite, and if RU and Maryland don't leave, there is no more openings. Louisville could have very well been stuck in the BE past 27 months if there hadn't been further shakeups, in which case he would have had to rescind his termination notice.

The way they article reads, they were leaving regardless. My guess is that they knew the Big East basketball schools were leaving. If no P-5 offer came, Jurichs emergency backup plan was probably to join the new C-7 basketball league and go indy for football.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 04:45 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-13-2013 04:35 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
It was a verbal notice (and probably open-ended, as they had no prescribed date to leave the conference at the time - they were hoping for 2012, but in the end it turned out to be 2014), not the formal written notice as required by the bylaws. In the grand scheme of things, the verbal notice meant little. Louisville still had to pay more than the prescribed exit fee. If Louisville had given the proper written notice on October 13, 2011 to leave on June 30, 2014, they would have been on the hook for only $5M as an exit fee and would not have needed to be voted out of the conference. Instead, they pay more than the prescribed $10M exit fee to "leave one year early," meaning they still didn't provide the formal written notice until November 2012 when they go the ACC invite.

This is such a non-story, other than it shows that Louisville was being upfront about the process the whole time. Kudos to them for their transparency, though.
11-13-2013 04:38 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(11-13-2013 04:35 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

The way they article reads, they were leaving regardless. My guess is that they knew the Big East basketball schools were leaving. In no P-5 offer came, Jurichs emergency backup plan was probably to join the new C-7 basketball league and go indy for football.

Spot on! 04-cheers
11-13-2013 04:43 PM
HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
(11-13-2013 04:43 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  

The way they article reads, they were leaving regardless. My guess is that they knew the Big East basketball schools were leaving. In no P-5 offer came, Jurichs emergency backup plan was probably to join the new C-7 basketball league and go indy for football.

Spot on! 04-cheers

If that was UofL's plan than it should probably have been UConn's as well. UofL is clearly better at strategic thinking.
11-13-2013 04:46 PM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Isn't college football great! The more this nonsense goes on the more I start to dislike it.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 04:47 PM by bearcatfan.)
11-13-2013 04:46 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(11-13-2013 04:38 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  It was a verbal notice (and probably open-ended, as they had no prescribed date to leave the conference at the time - they were hoping for 2012, but in the end it turned out to be 2014), not the formal written notice as required by the bylaws. In the grand scheme of things, the verbal notice meant little. Louisville still had to pay more than the prescribed exit fee. If Louisville had given the proper written notice on October 13, 2011 to leave on June 30, 2014, they would have been on the hook for only $5M as an exit fee and would not have needed to be voted out of the conference. Instead, they pay more than the prescribed $10M exit fee to "leave one year early," meaning they still didn't provide the formal written notice until November 2012 when they go the ACC invite.

This is such a non-story, other than it shows that Louisville was being upfront about the process the whole time. Kudos to them for their transparency, though.

Interesting point. If the notice in October of 2011 counted, then 27 months would have elapsed by Jan 2014---meaning they would not be leaving early at all if they join the ACC in July of 2014.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 04:51 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-13-2013 04:51 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(11-13-2013 04:14 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Two months later, like 5 bumps on a log, Houston, UCF, SMU, Boise and SDSU accept an invitation to join the Big East.

IF WE DID NOT KNOW THAT:

Every single team KNEW of Louisville's plans. For that matter, many of them had many of the same plans. How did they commit fraud? Did you read that the President of UCF was one of the people who were told? On top of that, while I had forgotten about it, it was not a secret. If you go back in the archives on the realignment board, you can see that it was mentioned on here back then, so it's not as though everyone didn't know Louisville intended to leave. Anyone remember John Marrinatto kept saying "Tom Jurich is my hero?" That is what he was talking about. He even said so, that it was because Jurich was open and honest about Louisville's plans and not doing it "behind our back" like some of the other schools.

The lack of a written offer was not to pull the wool over the eyes of the incoming members who ALL knew of Louisville's plans. It was so that it did not affect the Big East when they were shopping for a TV deal, and people speculating on further realignment.

This thread is a non-issue.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 04:57 PM by adcorbett.)
11-13-2013 04:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(11-13-2013 04:29 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  

He took a gamble and paid off. If no invite came he knew the AAC would had gladly rescinded that letter and welcomed them back

Louisville's withdraw also came a few weeks after Pittsburgh/Syracuse moved to the ACC. That sounds like it was the deal breaker for Louisville.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index....e_big.html

Had Rutgers not received the call to the B1G you have to wonder what the league could have been.

East: UConn, Temple, Cincinnati, Rutgers, Navy, UCF, USF
West: Memphis, Houston, SMU, Boise, SDSU, BYU, AFA
11-13-2013 04:58 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-13-2013 04:56 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(11-13-2013 04:14 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Two months later, like 5 bumps on a log, Houston, UCF, SMU, Boise and SDSU accept an invitation to join the Big East.

IF WE DID NOT KNOW THAT:

Every single team KNEW of Louisville's plans. For that matter, many of them had many of the same plans. How did they commit fraud? Did you read that the President of UCF was one of the people who were told?

No. I missed that.

Please copy and past the part of the article that says UCF was told of Louisville's withdrawal notice before UCF accepted the Big East invitation in December 2011.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 05:02 PM by CougarRed.)
11-13-2013 05:02 PM
Advertisement

CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
Personally I think the new schools should use our numbers to force a cancellation of our entry fees (entry into a shell of what we signed up for by and through the mismanagement of the existing schools) and force a redistribution of the exit fees/sale of the BE name fees to be equal for all members. If USF, Cincy, and UConn don't like it, they can join the MAC. Tulane, Tulsa, and ECU should get a share as well.
11-13-2013 05:03 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

The way they article reads, they were leaving regardless. My guess is that they knew the Big East basketball schools were leaving. If no P-5 offer came, Jurichs emergency backup plan was probably to join the new C-7 basketball league and go indy for football.

So now Louisville AND the C7 were planning to leave in October 2011.

The prospective candidates really needed to know this, don't you think?
11-13-2013 05:04 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(11-13-2013 05:02 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Please copy and past the part of the article that says UCF was told of Louisville's withdrawal notice before UCF accepted the Big East invitation in December 2011.

It is not even necessary because EVERYONE within the conference knew of it. Both the current members AND the future members. It was well covered on this very board, and we knew, and the commissioner spoke about it several times, so how on earth would the new members not know? Unless YOU have a link from someone at one of the new schools who says they were blindsided by this, this is a non-issue.
11-13-2013 05:14 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
As I recall it, everyone knew Louisville was looking. No one knew that Louisville had given notice, and then been asked to not provide written notice, that they were actually withdrawing from the conference as required under the bylaws.
11-13-2013 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.