Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Enjoy the conference your school is currently in
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Enjoy the conference your school is currently in
I think expansion has pretty much run its course. Every conference has a GOR now, and the bottom line is that I expect them to be renewed regularly from now on. I also see the P5 conferences getting to the point where they are all making close to the same money - eventually - and I think everyone is now more interested in preserving stability for the long term. I'm sure there will be a few regrets here and there, but overall it transpired in a way that no one really got hurt.

Here's to great FB and BB games moving forward! 04-cheers
11-12-2013 01:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
RE: Enjoy the conference your school is currently in
I greatly enjoy Army's independence. I would rather stand alone then be in a group of selfish fools.
11-12-2013 02:20 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(11-12-2013 01:14 PM)miko33 Wrote:  I think expansion has pretty much run its course. Every conference has a GOR now, and the bottom line is that I expect them to be renewed regularly from now on. I also see the P5 conferences getting to the point where they are all making close to the same money - eventually - and I think everyone is now more interested in preserving stability for the long term. I'm sure there will be a few regrets here and there, but overall it transpired in a way that no one really got hurt.

They are already making nearly the same money - that's the dirty little secret.

Furthermore, the distance between revenue between the top 10-15 programs and the rest of the B-5 is so great that no conference formula comes close to making up for it - Ohio State, Michigan, Bama, Texas - all these are making nearly $120,000,000 a year if you are a Maryland and you only bringing in about $50 million a year, an extra $5 or even $10 million a year is great, but you are still so far behind the big dogs in the B10 that you are in the dirt.

This is one of the real reasons you don't see movement from the ACC core - VT/UVa/UNC/NC State/Duke - competing against Clemson's 81K seat stadium and small alumni base is one thing, competing against Bama's, UT's, or UM's, OSU's, and PSU's 110K stadium and same size or twice the size alumni base is another.

If you can sell 45K more tickets a year at $80 bucks a pop, plus parking passes, food, etc., you are making almost $5 million more per home game before the first tv dollar rolls in and over 7 games you are $35 million ahead of UNC, VT, or NC State.

I can assure you that no athletic director in that core of schools nor the Board's of Trustees or Visitor's as the case may be will go for the massive stadium expansions that would be needed to compete on a regular basis with PSU, OSU, UM, Tennessee, Bama, TAMU, etc.
11-12-2013 02:32 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Not so sure massive stadiums will be the goal in the future. If folks are paying big bucks to park, tailgate, see the game...do they want to be crammed into 16 inches?

I see more schools downsizing stadiums while upsizing amenities. There are exceptions...as long as Bama, UM, tOSU, etc...fans continue to fill the stadiums the schools will be under no pressure. The 2nd tiered teams running at 70-90% capacity will be more susceptible to downsizing.
11-12-2013 03:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
(11-12-2013 02:20 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  I greatly enjoy Army's independence. I would rather stand alone then be in a group of selfish fools.

Wouldn’t being part of a group make one unselfish?
11-12-2013 04:09 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
We, Alabama, weren't going anywhere anyways. It's fun to be at the pinnacle of the sport.
11-12-2013 04:10 PM
Advertisement

ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
Well my school is moving after the year so not sure what to make of this. I wouldn't mind being in a conference with the 2014 (2015 with Navy) AAC teams for a long period of time. Good fans, good destinations and pretty good athletics. Could be a lot worse.
11-12-2013 04:36 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
The Power 5 may be done.

Jury is out whether the G5 are done or not.

With CUSA's TV deal expiring in 2016 and apparent discord over whether there should be expansion by taking two in the west, two in the east, or one each, or even expand at all, coupled with Bankowsky's recent statement that USM was absolutely going to the west with the 7th western school not set yet. They are ripe for something to happen.
11-12-2013 04:45 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(11-12-2013 01:14 PM)miko33 Wrote:  I think expansion has pretty much run its course. Every conference has a GOR now, and the bottom line is that I expect them to be renewed regularly from now on. I also see the P5 conferences getting to the point where they are all making close to the same money - eventually - and I think everyone is now more interested in preserving stability for the long term. I'm sure there will be a few regrets here and there, but overall it transpired in a way that no one really got hurt.

So, Chamberlain, are you saying there will be, "Peace in our time." Because, I think there are many indications that there are some regimes still planning to annex their neighbors. Oh, but I forgot, the Maginot Line (GOR) is in place and operational. Surely nothing will get around that?
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 07:55 PM by JRsec.)
11-12-2013 05:31 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU

There's no room for sanity on this board.

One thing I think people tend to overlook is the fact that each conference has a core of schools that like to be the big dogs. Getting rid of one or two of those conferences will cuase some of those big dogs not to have the power they crave. I think you will see some minor changes, but nothing earth shattering for quite some time.
11-12-2013 05:41 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

Although I'll comment on a B12 or B10 expansion thread, I too think that the P5 conferences are done for a while. The reason for this is that I just don't think that there are too many pieces left to be moved around on the board.

If anything, I would think that the B12 MIGHT consider inviting BYU, Cinci, UConn and maybe one other (most likely Memphis, UCF or USF). However, that seems unlikely.

I don't think that the B10 will expand further unless it's an ACC school, and none of them are going anywhere, as their fans would have a hissy fit.

As for the ACC, they will have to add one team IF ND is forced to go "all-in". In that case, Cinci would be my bet.

The most likely thing that we will see is that the AAC takes several teams from the MWC. There is also a good chance that Navv and one other school pulls out of the AAC due to whatever new rules we will be adhering too (for financial reasons).

If nothing has changed by the end of the 2014 season, nothing will change for a long while.
11-12-2013 06:29 PM
Advertisement

mnjayhawk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KU, FSU, CMU
I love the Big 12 in its current state, if for nothing more than you have "true" conference champions in basketball and football.
11-12-2013 06:32 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(11-12-2013 03:06 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Not so sure massive stadiums will be the goal in the future. If folks are paying big bucks to park, tailgate, see the game...do they want to be crammed into 16 inches?

I see more schools downsizing stadiums while upsizing amenities. There are exceptions...as long as Bama, UM, tOSU, etc...fans continue to fill the stadiums the schools will be under no pressure. The 2nd tiered teams running at 70-90% capacity will be more susceptible to downsizing.

Didn't some one on this board recently mention that Texas was actually downsizing and making improvements?
11-12-2013 06:40 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

(11-12-2013 06:32 PM)mnjayhawk Wrote:  I love the Big 12 in its current state, if for nothing more than you have "true" conference champions in basketball and football.

I'm willing to bet that most other B12 fans feel the same way... hence why I mentioned that I don't think that they will expand.

Q: if Kansas were offered and wanted to move anywhere, how much of an impediment would the ties to KSU be?
11-12-2013 06:41 PM
DBpirate Offline
2nd String

Expansion is done until ESPN pumps enough money into two g5 schools to get them an invite to the big 12.
11-12-2013 06:43 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Nothing is done nor settled. It really has not even taken a pause yet. My guess is the Big 10 will expand again, within 3 years. The B12, is not in a safe happy place, and in the end will expand to at least 12.
11-12-2013 07:20 PM
Advertisement

TomThumb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stuff
(11-12-2013 06:32 PM)mnjayhawk Wrote:  I love the Big 12 in its current state, if for nothing more than you have "true" conference champions in basketball and football.

It seems like for football you just end up with a lot of ties and co-champs. Like last year. KSU and OU both had 1 conference loss, and KSU beat OU head-to-head. But they were both co-champs. That's kind of lame.

If Baylor doesn't win out, it's pretty likely you'll have co-champs again this year.
11-12-2013 07:34 PM
mnjayhawk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KU, FSU, CMU
(11-12-2013 06:41 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  

I'm willing to bet that most other B12 fans feel the same way... hence why I mentioned that I don't think that they will expand.

Q: if Kansas were offered and wanted to move anywhere, how much of an impediment would the ties to KSU be?

I don't think "impediment" is the right word. K-State is the better football program and their basketball program has made great strides in recent years as well. The only thing holding K-State back is the lack of AAU membership, which KU does have. (Not that I'm saying the Big Ten is going Kansas hunting; I don't see them going after the KC market like they have out east)

I think the true impediment if anything is KU football. Assuming the current pattern of realignment is mostly football related remains, the Jayhawks just aren't that good on the gridiron.

KU hasn't had a winning season since Mark Mangino left, and only four coaches since the end of WWII have left Lawrence with a winning record. Of those four, two were in the 1940's, one in the 1950's and 1960's, and Mangino (And even he had a sub .500 record in Big 12 play).

In other words, I think KU football itself is hurting both Kansas' schools chances at a chance to move if that were to come. I don't see the Big Ten wanting us, and the Pac 12 and SEC just seem too farfetched to me.
11-12-2013 07:35 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Miko I couldn't agree more. Thankfully no one else in The ACC was as financially desperate as Maryland to throw away tradition and good common sense and jump to The Bloated Big Ten. After The ACC invited Louisville, Florida State and Clemson agreed to sign a GOR and it for all practical purposes killed expansion in The Power 5.

There are, however, still three to five possible spots open: 4 in The Big 12 and 1 in The ACC, if the playoffs force the Irish to join a conference and Notre Dame's game of "Just the Tip" proves acceptable to their fans.

Aside from those spots, it's probably dead. Good post
CJ
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 08:16 PM by CardinalJim.)
11-12-2013 08:15 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
I am happy with the current Big East.
11-12-2013 09:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.