Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nick’s Picks for Week #12 & some interesting thoughts
Bookmark and Share
Nick in Cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Nick’s Picks for Week #12 & some interesting thoughts
After correctly picking the Eastern win over Western Nick’s Picks now stand at 71-16 year to date. Below are the picks for week #12. In my opinion this is the most difficult week to pick of the season for two reasons…(1) very evenly match games across the board and (2) for the sub-.500 teams you never know what their motivation is at this point in the season. With that said, here they are below and as always I welcome your comments and rebuttal.

Last Saturday’s Game:
Nick’s Pick: Eastern 31 – Western 30
Actual: Eastern 35 – Western 32
If you fire a coach over his record that’s one thing but when Eastern fired their coach for his "team speach" to me that was not a justified termination…any coach should be able to challenge his team’s manhood and “want-to” at any point in time. I listened to the audio that was published on M-Live and thought if was fine – I mean, what else can he say to an underachieving group of young players?…as we continue to move into this ridiculous world of political correctness and "take-no-responsibility for your actions" we will continue to fail as a country as we’ve done over the past five years ~ now that should get the board going even before reading any of the predictions below

Tuesday Nov 12
BGSU 27 – Ohio 21
The Falcons will win at home and set up their winner-take-all contest with Buffalo on Nov 29

Toledo 28 – Buffalo 26
Who could have guessed in early September that this game would have so much meaning…should be a wonderfully entertaining contest where UB has more defensive playmakers and Toledo has more offensive weapons; give the home offense the nod in a close and hotly contested game

Wednesday Nov 13
Kent State 23 – Miami 13
The Miami team I watched on TV last week against BGSU was awful and like my opening comment above who can really predict the “want-to” in a team when the season has gone to heck.

NIU 38 – Ball St 37
Game of the year as the winner will have all-but-won the MAC West; the two best QBs in the league and right now the two bell-cow programs of the season; for the record I like NIU to win this week and then lose at Toledo on Nov 20th to create a final 7-1 MAC record mess for all three west division teams (Ball State included)

Saturday Nov 16
Central 36 – Western 28
In most years I pick the home team in this bitter rivalry and usually win; this year it’s very hard to pick this game at all due to Western being pathetic and Enos being Enos

Akron 24 – UMass 20
Akron will avenge their 22-14 loss to the Minutemen from last year
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 08:19 PM by Nick in Cleveland.)
11-11-2013 08:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MacLord Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Nick’s Picks for Week #12 & some interesting thoughts
Oh great, Nick's picks not getting the attention of the old days so he drops some Damon Bruce-style commentary on us.
11-11-2013 09:16 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
It's OK to use homophobic slurs, etc? That's "PC"? "Challenging manhood"? That's what you got from that? Wow. He was going down anywaybut that was not a basic "buck up and git after'em, boys" speech. Coaches and players have blown careers repeatedly for that language. Seriously, you think that was FINE?
11-11-2013 10:03 PM
CHIPPEWA ENEMA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CMU CHIPPEWAS

Crappies
Ah, Nick, I think you've got the CHImP-BROwNCOw score reversed. CMU is giving up an average of 30 points a game while only scoring 19. Besides, us anarchist CHImPS want Anus Enos gone! Never doubt a sh!t-throwing CHImP!
11-11-2013 10:05 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I think Miami covers the spread (17.5 KSU) and makes the score appear competitive like we did against Akron, though it won't be that close. I don't see a win for us until next year when we play Eastern Kentucky, and I'm not even sure of that. F*** Treadwell.
11-11-2013 10:21 PM
CHIPPEWA ENEMA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CMU CHIPPEWAS

Crappies
I also disagree about the NIU/BSU game. The Taters haven't seen the likes of LeFev......er, Lynch as yet. While both teams are good, look for Lembo to do the Limbo, after which, his BALLs will be lying in State. NIU by 10.
11-11-2013 10:59 PM
Advertisement

NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Nick- love your comments and picks.Your picks/posts are a MUST see for any serious MAC fan.

NIU,UT and BSU in a -3- way tie for the MAC West? Very possible, but if my HUSKIES run the table they DESERVE a BCS bid. Beating BSU and UT and -2- Big10 teams with 3 of 4 on the road would be a major accomplishment. They have a chance to become a legendary MAC team worthy of the UT, Miami and Marshall runs.
11-11-2013 11:04 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Dear Nick,
Constant yelling at players will not get them to perform better. Once in a while maybe. I'm also not calling for constant praise either. As a coach, English should have substituted players, if the ones playing were not performing to his standards. The season was one of watching players make the same mistakes in every game. They then went to practice and were yelled at all week, and then started the next game. What's the definition of insanity going around? I think English fit that perfectly.
Sorry yo disagree with you about our country, but I think we have been on the right track for the last five years.
11-12-2013 08:33 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(11-12-2013 08:33 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Nick,
Constant yelling at players will not get them to perform better. Once in a while maybe. I'm also not calling for constant praise either. As a coach, English should have substituted players, if the ones playing were not performing to his standards. The season was one of watching players make the same mistakes in every game. They then went to practice and were yelled at all week, and then started the next game. What's the definition of insanity going around? I think English fit that perfectly.
Sorry yo disagree with you about our country, but I think we have been on the right track for the last five years.

I missed that altogether. What track are we on that is so bad? The economy has stunk for about nine or ten years and started to show signs of weakening well before that. Otherwise, not all that bad. I do know that if I had addressed my staff that way, or more to the point, my student-interns, for not follwoing through or being assertive enough on the job I wouldn't have lasted long, especially if my record as a manager wasn't sterling. And that goes back about 35 years before people started calling civilized behavior "politically correct".
11-12-2013 08:55 AM
nert Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, CMU, Cincinnati
(11-12-2013 08:55 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

I missed that altogether. What track are we on that is so bad? The economy has stunk for about nine or ten years and started to show signs of weakening well before that. Otherwise, not all that bad. I do know that if I had addressed my staff that way, or more to the point, my student-interns, for not follwoing through or being assertive enough on the job I wouldn't have lasted long, especially if my record as a manager wasn't sterling. And that goes back about 35 years before people started calling civilized behavior "politically correct".

Prior to 2007, unemployment was in the 4-5% range for several years (which is historically very low) and GDP was growing at a historically average rate and there were no major inflationary worries. Therefore, the economy has stunk only for about 6 years.

The last recession before that occurred when planes flew into buildings in NYC, Washington DC and a field in PA. Dramatic events like that tend to shock an economy into recession - even if no weakness was there prior to that. But it didn't last very long - which is a testament to the economy's strength at the time.

Since the end of the recession in 2009; growth has been weak, unemployemnt has not fallen back to "good times" levels of 4-6% (even with the government periodically deciding that 100s of thousands of people no longer count as unemployed because they have been unemployed too long), and the debt has grown faster than at any other time in our history.

Real wages have fallen. Poverty levels have risen. More households rely on food stamps than ever before (even corrected for population growth), and violent crime is on the upswing in many of our urban centers.

And now we stand by as trillions of printed dollars have been injected into the economy in the last few years by the FED's "quantitative easing" policy (which used to be called "monetizing the debt" and is very dangerous because it increases inflationary pressures) which disguise rampant increases in elected government spending (even as the excuses of foreign wars have ended).

The only thing that has recovered is Wall Street.

How is that "not all that bad"?

I would describe that as a dismal failure.

I don't know what that has to do with Ron English, EMU, Political Correctness or "challenging one's manhood" - I'm just correcting the economic analysis.
11-12-2013 06:39 PM
CMichFan Offline

I Root For: CMU

Crappies
(11-11-2013 10:05 PM)CHIPPEWA ENEMA Wrote:  Ah, Nick, I think you've got the CHImP-BROwNCOw score reversed. CMU is giving up an average of 30 points a game while only scoring 19. Besides, us anarchist CHImPS want Anus Enos gone! Never doubt a sh!t-throwing CHImP!

WMU is scoring 17.0 and yielding 36.5, lost to Nicholls State, and barely beat a UMASS team that we punked on the road last season. If we play our best game, CMU wins.
11-12-2013 07:45 PM
Advertisement

Ubish Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Wmu punked umass last year as well. Last year is not this year. But if it was...... 42-31

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
11-12-2013 08:45 PM
Ubish Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Re: RE: Nick’s Picks for Week #12 & some interesting thoughts

Firing English for the "incident" was weak sauce. They didn't have the guts to say what it was really about.... Wins and losses

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
11-12-2013 08:46 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Dear Nert,
If one does not read the entire thread, one misses out on the information that is thrown out there. Your inflation worries are just that. There has been no inflation to worry about.
11-12-2013 10:38 PM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
Ubish wrote: Firing English for the "incident" was weak sauce. They didn't have the guts to say what it was really about.... Wins and losses.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eCK: I agree.....they wanted to get rid of him and got the excuse to do so and remain above it all.

P.S. The games weren't close as you predicted, but you got the UT and BG wins correct......you still 'da man on MAC game forecasts!
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 10:41 PM by exCincy Kid.)
11-12-2013 10:40 PM
nert Offline
1st String

(11-12-2013 10:38 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Nert,
If one does not read the entire thread, one misses out on the information that is thrown out there. Your inflation worries are just that. There has been no inflation to worry about.

Thanks for your analysis - but I think I have this issue down.

You can't print that much money without it destroying the value of the dollar (i.e. it creates inflation). The point where it boils over is not known for certain - but you can't throw that much fuel on the fire and not get a furnace at some point. At this point, artificially free money policy (holding the discount rate at 1/8 of 1 percent) by the FED has kept the wolves at bay - but even that tactic can't hold it off forever. The extra borrowing of the government has been paid for by the FED directly buying bonds (about $85 billion in new money every month for the past few years) - rather than buying them on the secondary market from private citizens (the way the FED normally changes the money supply), so the government doesn't have to offer higher interest rates to get more investors interested as they borrow more and more money (the FED doesn't need the money - they simply create it, but private investors insist on the interest out-pacing inflation). But this means the FED is printing it - maybe not physically, (because that isn't necessary anymore due to EFT), but it is newly created by this very risky policy.

Ask any economics professor that isn't named Bernanke or Krugman. (You'll notice Bernanke left his mess to blow up under someone else's tenure.)
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 11:07 PM by nert.)
11-12-2013 10:58 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Though I wholeheartedly agree with you nert, this is a discussion for the Spin Room or the Smack Talk at least.
11-12-2013 11:15 PM
nert Offline
1st String

(11-12-2013 11:15 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Though I wholeheartedly agree with you nert, this is a discussion for the Spin Room or the Smack Talk at least.

While it isn't MAC sports related - it isn't smack or spin either. It's basic economics.
11-12-2013 11:18 PM
MacLord Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-12-2013 11:18 PM)nert Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 11:15 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Though I wholeheartedly agree with you nert, this is a discussion for the Spin Room or the Smack Talk at least.

While it isn't MAC sports related - it isn't smack or spin either. It's basic economics.

The problem is laying at the feet of the "last five years" when the fact is the seeds were being sown in the years before that when banks were lending to anyone who'd show up and say "I want a house" and then packaging all these wretched loans into "instruments" that ended up wreaking havoc on the economy at large. So we can pretend that all was well until suddenly five years ago it all went wrong, or we can see that what seemed like prosperity was really just what is called a bubble. But I agree it doesn't belong on a MAC football board, which is why Nick should stick to his solid football analysis and steer clear of political smack. English was out of line, period.
11-13-2013 12:11 AM
Seth Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ohio
The thing about English and EMU is that English went overboard with the stuff he said. I get it, people sometimes need a fire lit under them to get them moving. I didn't play college ball, high school was my highest, but the psychology doesn't change. There's breaking a guy down to build him up, and then there's just breaking a guy down.
11-13-2013 12:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.