UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BR? : Memphis Exit Fees
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
BR? : Memphis Exit Fees
Memphis will leave behind tourney credits as their exit fee from C-USA. They can earn them back 1/2 credit at a time if they play at a current C-USA school or meet in a neutral court game televised by C-USA. How much is 1/2 tourney credit worth? Enough to get Memphis to play in Birmingham?
11-10-2013 03:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

RE: BR? : Memphis Exit Fees
Was said to be $250K on another board. I doubt Memphis capitulates, though.
11-10-2013 03:48 PM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Re: BR? : Memphis Exit Fees
I'd like to play UAB, credit or not. It's a good series.
11-10-2013 03:53 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

Mackin has insinuated that the Memphis series will make a return anyway.
11-10-2013 04:02 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Memphis doesn't have much room for a home and home due to their conference schedule, the schedule restrictions tied to the Fedex Forum etc.

And they could easily meet that requirement by getting someone like North Texas or FIU to agree to a buy game.

A neutral site could mean a Game against MTSU in Nashville though
11-10-2013 04:14 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
According to the Commercial Appeal (pay site), the games would have to be played at a CUSA school cite.

Quote:Beginning next season and through 2018-19, any men’s basketball game Memphis plays at a C-USA school — or on a neutral site, if the C-USA school owns the rights to broadcast it — will be worth half an NCAA tournament share directly to the Tigers, up to a maximum of two a season.

In 2013, NCAA tournament shares were worth $245,500, according to the NCAA.

Bowen said he’s doubtful the U of M does this in 2014-15, “but at some point, it’s an option,” he said. “And many of those institutions are long-standing rivals with us.” Though he didn’t name them, logic would suggest games against UAB, or perhaps Southern Miss.

The NCAA distributes money to conferences based on each win in the tournament by a member school. The payouts are made to the conferences on a rolling six-year period, meaning Memphis’ tournament runs in 2008 and 2009 under John Calipari helped pay off its C-USA bill. While the Tigers are forfeiting shares of revenue they would’ve received had they remained members of C-USA, it’s less than what they would’ve had to pay had the shares not been able to be applied to its C-USA exit bill.

Sweet deal for Memphis.
11-10-2013 04:36 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

(11-10-2013 04:36 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  According to the Commercial Appeal (pay site), the games would have to be played at a CUSA school cite.

Quote:Beginning next season and through 2018-19, any men’s basketball game Memphis plays at a C-USA school — or on a neutral site, if the C-USA school owns the rights to broadcast it — will be worth half an NCAA tournament share directly to the Tigers, up to a maximum of two a season.

Bowen said he’s doubtful the U of M does this in 2014-15, “but at some point, it’s an option,” he said. “And many of those institutions are long-standing rivals with us.” Though he didn’t name them, logic would suggest games against UAB, or perhaps Southern Miss.

The NCAA distributes money to conferences based on each win in the tournament by a member school. The payouts are made to the conferences on a rolling six-year period, meaning Memphis’ tournament runs in 2008 and 2009 under John Calipari helped pay off its C-USA bill. While the Tigers are forfeiting shares of revenue they would’ve received had they remained members of C-USA, it’s less than what they would’ve had to pay had the shares not been able to be applied to its C-USA exit bill.

Sweet deal for Memphis.

So, each game would be worth $122,750...
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 04:56 PM by WesternBlazer.)
11-10-2013 04:55 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

I wonder if the BJCC qualifies as a neutral site.
11-10-2013 05:01 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(11-10-2013 05:01 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I wonder if the BJCC qualifies as a neutral site.

Since UAB has its "Home" at Bartow Arena, the BJCC would probably be considered a neutral site by the NCAA.
11-10-2013 05:12 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

NCAA has nothing to do with it
11-10-2013 06:45 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-10-2013 04:36 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  According to the Commercial Appeal (pay site), the games would have to be played at a CUSA school cite.

Sweet deal for Memphis.

Why on Earth did C-USA agree to that arrangement? Why not let Memphis take their NCAA tournament payout and make them pay a full exit fee, if that's higher than the tournament credits?
11-10-2013 10:48 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

How's this for a neutral court idea
UAB vs. Memphis in Tupelo, MS. About halfway for both teams, a little less than a two hour drive. Tupelo's Bancorp Arena seats 10,000. Memphis has played LSU there a few years ago.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 11:43 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
11-10-2013 11:42 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
The Tupelo arena is nice...we played LSU there.

Memphis v UAB at Bancorpsouth Arena...let's do it!
11-11-2013 12:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I don't care about playing Memphis anywhere but the 'ham, and then I don't care that much, but that's just me.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 12:37 PM by Smaug.)
11-11-2013 12:36 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(11-11-2013 12:36 PM)Smaug Wrote:  I don't care about playing Memphis anywhere but the 'ham, and then I don't care that much, but that's just me.

If we are going to play them, it will have to be negotiated. They will prefer a neutral site. If we are unbending, they will play someone else if they play anyone at all.

There is an interesting thread on empty.org about playing UAB in continuation of the Bartow Classic. The old timers are for it. The youngins don't know who Bartow is and are against it.

If you are nostalgic for that old Tiger arrogance, here it is

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=659335
11-11-2013 01:31 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I'm not. 03-lol
11-11-2013 01:42 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Give me that old tiger arrogance, give me that old tiger arrogance, give me that old tiger arrogance, it's good enough for me.

Just kidding.
11-11-2013 01:45 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
I just have no want to play @UAB...too dangerous a game, you guys just want to beat us too badly...but a neutral site, where we get $122,750 just for playing works for me.

Make it a 5 year deal...and I love the Tupelo idea... Right in between the two schools.
11-11-2013 01:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
Mackin did indeed make it sound like the UAB-Memphis series in basketball had a lot of potential, and I believe that was even before this arrangement was possible. I don't think Memphis is afraid of losing to UAB, here or there, so I don't think that's an issue.

I do think, however, that even the most arrogant of Memphis fans realizes that UAB has the potential to be a nice RPI game and a game that will create at least some interest. Since the AAC is not going to be nearly the quality with the Big East teams leaving, Memphis will need to continue to schedule solid OOC opponents.
11-11-2013 02:22 PM
KevMo4UAB Online
#FreeUAB

I don't care to ever play Memphis again in basketball, but that's just me.
11-11-2013 02:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.