Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does Baylor pass Stanford in the BCS poll?
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Does Baylor pass Stanford in the BCS poll?
Baylor was already ahead of Stanford in the human polls. But Stanford had the edge in the computers due to Baylor's SOS.

Baylor crushes #10 OU tonight.

Stanford dominated #3 Oregon for much of the night, and then let their skirt blow up in the last 6 minutes and had to survive an onsides kick to seal the win.

Who was more impressive? Who deserves to be #4? Are the answers to those two questions different?

Baylor has three big games left: Tech, Okla St and Texas.

Stanford also has three: USC, Notre Dame and the Pac 12 title game.

Baylor has won every game by double digits, and all but one game by at least four TDs.

Stanford has single-digit wins against Oregon, Oregon St and Washington. And a loss to 4-4 Utah.

If Baylor keeps beating everyone by double digits, I don't see how in the world anyone can rank 12-1 Stanford ahead of 12-0 Baylor.
11-08-2013 01:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Does Baylor pass Stanford in the BCS poll?
You are asking the wrong question. It's more who deserves to be #3. Don't act like Ohio St just automatically will move up, because they won't. Hell, I think they have a real chance to be #5 in the BCS this week, with both Stanford and Baylor passing them. Ohio St has 1 win this year against a team receiving votes in the AP poll. They beat Buffalo 40-20. Baylor now has 1 win against a team receiving votes in the AP poll(granted a much higher win). They beat Buffalo 70-13.
11-08-2013 01:19 AM
SergiofromFresno Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Fresno State
I think Baylor because they are undefeated has the edge.

If Stanford crushes its opponents the rest of the way they can leapfrog them.

It may come down to the PAC12 Championship game vs the Big12s lack of one.

Too early to call too many intangibles

OSU could get jumped to by Baylor to

Its going to a wild ride till the end

I love CFB
11-08-2013 01:20 AM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
It should be Bama (assuming they don't screw up), FSU, Baylor. Stanford. If Stanford is already ahead in the computers though I don't see how Baylor passes them.
11-08-2013 01:29 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

yeah, I do think Stanford may be ahead of Baylor this week, but I think eventually that changes.
11-08-2013 01:32 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(11-08-2013 01:32 AM)stever20 Wrote:  yeah, I do think Stanford may be ahead of Baylor this week, but I think eventually that changes.

I'll agree with that. Eventually, something like this if they keep winning out :

1 Alabama
2 Florida State
3 Baylor
4 Ohio State
5 Stanford
6 Oregon
7 Clemson
8 Missouri
9 Auburn
10 Miami (FL)
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 05:14 AM by ChrisLords.)
11-08-2013 02:50 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I think Baylor will pass Ohio St. I think Ohio St may wind up having a huge computer problem, where they are maybe 2-3 spots behind Baylor in the computers-with potentially even schools like Clemson getting wedged in between. That would make it where Ohio St would need to be way ahead of Baylor in the polls- and I just do not see that given the perception of the Big Ten and just how good Baylor has looked...
11-08-2013 02:54 AM
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
(11-08-2013 01:20 AM)SergiofromFresno Wrote:  I think Baylor because they are undefeated has the edge.

I love CFB

The Pac-12 CG MAY have an impact...or they could end up playing 8-4 Arizona State and it won't impress anybody (like Stanford's back-to-back wins over UCLA last year).

Either way, if Baylor wins out (still going to be tough, IMO), they should be ahead of ANY one-loss team in the country, even the SEC champ if it has a loss.
11-08-2013 04:15 AM
The Turk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: sports
(11-08-2013 02:54 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I think Baylor will pass Ohio St. I think Ohio St may wind up having a huge computer problem, where they are maybe 2-3 spots behind Baylor in the computers-with potentially even schools like Clemson getting wedged in between. That would make it where Ohio St would need to be way ahead of Baylor in the polls- and I just do not see that given the perception of the Big Ten and just how good Baylor has looked...

you're one of the numbers/stats guys here who actually takes the time to look things up. What's the historical record for teams from p-5 conferences with stronger schedules but with one more loss passing other p-5 members in the computers? Or with better memories than me... I guess if does happen often, a school like Clemson might be able to do it with two strong OOC opponents on the schedule with one loss over a no loss team like Ohio State with a %$%^ OOC.
11-08-2013 05:40 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Of course Baylor passes Stanford. Stanford has a Utah problem. Baylor had a lack of strong opponents problem. Stanford still has a Utah problem but Baylor just rolled over Oklahoma.

Easy pick.
11-08-2013 07:25 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-08-2013 04:15 AM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  
(11-08-2013 01:20 AM)SergiofromFresno Wrote:  I think Baylor because they are undefeated has the edge.

I love CFB

The Pac-12 CG MAY have an impact...or they could end up playing 8-4 Arizona State and it won't impress anybody (like Stanford's back-to-back wins over UCLA last year).

Either way, if Baylor wins out (still going to be tough, IMO), they should be ahead of ANY one-loss team in the country, even the SEC champ if it has a loss.
Even if they do play a 8-4 team, that's still a quality top 25 win. It would impress the computers. And, odds are fairly solid the P12 south champ won't be 8-4 but rather at least 9-3, if not 10-2.
11-08-2013 08:52 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
With 4 or 5 regular season games left plus conference playoffs. its way to early to say anybody is for sure. Alabama and FSU are in the driver seats, but the season still has a lot of drama left yet. 07-coffee3
11-08-2013 08:53 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-08-2013 05:40 AM)The Turk Wrote:  
(11-08-2013 02:54 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I think Baylor will pass Ohio St. I think Ohio St may wind up having a huge computer problem, where they are maybe 2-3 spots behind Baylor in the computers-with potentially even schools like Clemson getting wedged in between. That would make it where Ohio St would need to be way ahead of Baylor in the polls- and I just do not see that given the perception of the Big Ten and just how good Baylor has looked...

you're one of the numbers/stats guys here who actually takes the time to look things up. What's the historical record for teams from p-5 conferences with stronger schedules but with one more loss passing other p-5 members in the computers? Or with better memories than me... I guess if does happen often, a school like Clemson might be able to do it with two strong OOC opponents on the schedule with one loss over a no loss team like Ohio State with a %$%^ OOC.

2011- Wisconsin was 11-2. The computers had them at 14.50.
Baylor was 9-3. The computers had them at 9.50.

2010-
Wisconsin was 11-1. Computers had them at 8.75
Ohio St was 11-1. Computers had them at 9
Arkansas was 10-2. Computers had them at 6
Oklahoma was 11-2. Computers had them at 5.25

So, yes, it does happen.
11-08-2013 09:04 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-08-2013 08:53 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  With 4 or 5 regular season games left plus conference playoffs. its way to early to say anybody is for sure. Alabama and FSU are in the driver seats, but the season still has a lot of drama left yet. 07-coffee3

yep. right now we have calm. Now, if LSU beats Alabama, the last month is goign to be WILD!
11-08-2013 09:05 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I doubt it.

Stanford was impressive.
11-08-2013 09:25 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-08-2013 09:25 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I doubt it.

Stanford was impressive.

Stanfords lead last week was all computers. Baylor is ahead of them already in the polls. Baylor will be making a huge leap in the computers, so I think looking at it closer, we'll see them pass this week.
11-08-2013 09:28 AM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(11-08-2013 09:28 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

Stanford was impressive.

Stanfords lead last week was all computers. Baylor is ahead of them already in the polls. Baylor will be making a huge leap in the computers, so I think looking at it closer, we'll see them pass this week.

They get a boost though in the computers by beating Oregon though. It may happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.
11-08-2013 09:30 AM
Hashtag Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNC
1. Alabama
2. FSU
3. Baylor
4. Stanford
5. Ohio St

Book it.
11-08-2013 09:34 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-08-2013 09:30 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Stanford was impressive.

They get a boost though in the computers by beating Oregon though. It may happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

The boost will be passing Oregon. Problem is, Baylor will also pass Oregon, as well as several other teams that Stanford was already ahead of.
11-08-2013 09:36 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-08-2013 09:30 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Stanford was impressive.

Baylor will pass a bunch of the teams between them and Stanford in the computers. Stanford, as high as they are already, will need more of the unbeaten to fall to move up in the computers. So Baylor probably passes them by narrowing Stanford's lead in the computers.
11-08-2013 09:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.