Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC adds Poinsetta Bowl; Now up to 5 guaranteed bowls
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
MAC adds Poinsetta Bowl; Now up to 5 guaranteed bowls
The MWC's opponents in the Poinsettia Bowl for the next five years are Navy (2014), Army (2015), BYU (2016 and 2018), and the MAC (2017 and 2019). Once Navy joins the AAC in 2015, it may open up another year for the MAC in Poinsettia Bowl perhaps. That MAC is in a rotation with Army and BYU is a feather in MAC's hat it appears to me.

The Poinsettia Bowl has generally been the second best bowl for the MWC after the Vegas Bowl....so obviously, the Poinsettia Bowl gives the MAC a nice window of publicity and recognition.

The addition of the Poinsettia Bowl gives the MAC 5 guaranteed bowls games between 2014-2019. The MAC had no guaranteed bowl games in 1999. I don't know if I have the below bowls correct but something like this I think. Perhaps a MAC fan on this board can give us the correction rotation and years.

ANNUAL MAC BOWLS:
1. GoDaddy vs SBC
2. Famous Potato Bowl vs MWC
3. Camellia Bowl vs SBC

MAC BOWLS IN ROTATION WITH AAC, MWC, CUSA, & SBC:
Poinsettia, Boca Raton, Bahamas, and Miami Beach
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 12:35 PM by Tallgrass.)
11-06-2013 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: MAC adds Poinsetta Bowl; Now up to 5 guaranteed bowls
given Navy is only for next year, don't think it opens up another year for the MAC at all(unless it's a sub agreement where if Navy isn't bowl eligible).

Is the MAC guaranteed 2 slots from those 4 games?
11-06-2013 12:29 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Slowly building themselves a solid foundation.
11-06-2013 12:31 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-06-2013 12:31 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Slowly building themselves a solid foundation.

Last night, two MAC games with 4 MAC teams were televised. Obviously, with the new technologies and broadcast platforms, the future appears bright for MAC. And, yes I agree, they are building a solid foundation for success as a conference.
11-06-2013 12:39 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Good job by the MAC. 07-coffee3
11-06-2013 12:45 PM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
MAC is doing it right. I still think there are too many Ohio and Michigan based programs, but the MAC is a solid league that just continues to plow ahead.

Once UMass starts to turn its program around and Miami can come back from the dead I can easily see the MAC competing and beating the AAC and MWC for the top G5 position (the new CUSA and SBC are the weaker sisters).
11-06-2013 02:52 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
With 5 full ties a year, its arguable that the MAC improved its bowl situation more than any other conference in the upcoming bowl cycle.
11-06-2013 03:15 PM
Attackcoog Online

(11-06-2013 02:52 PM)Blackhawk-eye Wrote:  MAC is doing it right. I still think there are too many Ohio and Michigan based programs, but the MAC is a solid league that just continues to plow ahead.

Once UMass starts to turn its program around and Miami can come back from the dead I can easily see the MAC competing and beating the AAC and MWC for the top G5 position (the new CUSA and SBC are the weaker sisters).

A lot of that depends on what happens to the AAC. Does it get raided and weakened, or is it able to stay whole and use its stronger national TV exposure as a platform to out recruit the other G-5 conferences.
11-06-2013 03:18 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-06-2013 03:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 02:52 PM)Blackhawk-eye Wrote:  MAC is doing it right. I still think there are too many Ohio and Michigan based programs, but the MAC is a solid league that just continues to plow ahead.

A lot of that depends on what happens to the AAC. Does it get raided and weakened, or is it able to stay whole and use its stronger national TV exposure as a platform to out recruit the other G-5 conferences.

I think this is a multi-faceted question. For example, USF, Cincy, and UConn can no longer dangle an automatic BCS bowl plus the Charlotte, Champs, and Pinstripe Bowls to recruits. Can these three AAC schools maintain their high level of recruiting. USF with their new coach is on a very strong swing....but, now being a NonBCS school, USF will likely lose that coach to a BCS school if he piles up a bunch of wins.

What affect does UNT and UTSA have on Houston, SMU, and Tulsa recruiting?

LaTech (and ULL) on Tulane recruiting?

UMT on Memphis recruiting?

FIU and FAU on USF and UCF recruiting?

Charlotte on ECU recruiting?

All these new CUSA schools have had their status enhanced via CUSA's better tv contract and very nice football bowls.

In a couple years, CUSA will renegotiate its tv contract. With emerging new technologies and broadcast outlets, CUSA will probably have greatly enhanced public exposure and the difference between CUSA and AAC will diminish.

AAC basketball, if UConn and Cincy stay, is another story.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 04:06 PM by Tallgrass.)
11-06-2013 04:02 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-06-2013 04:02 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  

I think this is a multi-faceted question. For example, USF, Cincy, and UConn can no longer dangle an automatic BCS bowl plus the Charlotte, Champs, and Pinstripe Bowls to recruits. Can these three AAC schools maintain their high level of recruiting. USF with their new coach is on a very strong swing....but, now being a NonBCS school, USF will likely lose that coach to a BCS school if he piles up a bunch of wins.

All these new CUSA schools have had their status enhanced via CUSA's better tv contract and very nice football bowls.

In a couple years, CUSA will renegotiate its tv contract. With emerging new technologies and broadcast outlets, CUSA will probably have greatly enhanced public exposure and the difference between CUSA and AAC will diminish.

I think one thing about CUSA vs AAC- yes, CUSA gets to redo their deal in a few years- but then a few years after that the AAC gets to go up for bidding again themselves. So any newfound edge will be short lived.

I think in terms of recruiting, if UCF can go to the BCS this year- that's something that will differentiate them from FIU and FAU for a long time. I think schools like Houston, SMU, Tulane have such an inherent advantage it'd take a long time for the CUSA schools to catch up.
11-06-2013 04:17 PM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox

Completely agree with you here. In the age of television contracts pulling the strings, its all about markets and tv sets. The MAC would actually improve by reducing to 12.

EMU has been drawing on avg less than 5k per football home game with several seasons of being in the ESPN bottom 10. I think thats the obvious choice for demotion and the attendence avg doesnt even comply with NCAA requirements for being in FBS.
11-06-2013 04:24 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

It is pretty safe to say Connecticut and Cincinnati will both move on soon. 07-coffee3
11-06-2013 04:24 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I'm really not so sure on UConn. I think if there had been Fire to the UConn/Big Ten thing, we'd have seen it by now. As far as Cincy- I think the one factor that is really interesting is UCF. I mean, you have Florida and a huge school. I don't think it's an absolute lock that if the Big 12 expands, Cincy gets in.
11-06-2013 04:28 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Even if UC or UConn don't get into an AQ conference, they've reaped the benefits of being the Big East for enough time that they're head and shoulders about all but a few non-AQ schools. In the long run they both might decline without that advantage, but unless they make some huge blunders (like Paul P. at UConn) they should individually be head and shoulders above the G5.
11-06-2013 05:21 PM
Attackcoog Online

Im not that worried about recruiting. Houston has been doing very well the last few years--and that gap is likely to increase due mostly to superior exposure.

For instance, this weeks UTSA vs Tulane game is on something called WOAI/WHNO cable network. West division leader North Texas is on CSS. I cant find either game involving CUSA wests two top teams on any of the my Houston cable listings.

This same week Houston will be on ESPN-2 in the 7pm CST slot. Last week Houston was on ESPN. The 3 prior weeks Houston was on ESPN-News. Next week Houston will play on ESPN-U at 6:00PM CTS. The SMU game is to be on ESPN/ABC/ESPN2. Houston can pick up yet another ESPN game if the Cinci game is picked up (which is likely). That's in addition to two games on FSN and another on ESPN-Regional TV. We are likely to end up with 8 nationally televised games plus 3 more regionally televised games.

Next year, the coverage for AAC teams is set to get even better than this years coverage (90% of all games on national networks). Im not worried about the AAC teams being able to recruit against CUSA teams.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 05:39 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-06-2013 05:38 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-06-2013 05:38 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Im not that worried about recruiting. Houston has been doing very well the last few years--and that gap is likely to increase due mostly to superior exposure.

For instance, this weeks UTSA vs Tulane game is on something called WOAI/WHNO cable network. West division leader North Texas is on CSS. I cant find either game involving CUSA wests two top teams on any of the my Houston cable listings.

This same week Houston will be on ESPN-2 in the 7pm CST slot. Last week Houston was on ESPN. The 3 prior weeks Houston was on ESPN-News. Next week Houston will play on ESPN-U at 6:00PM CTS. The SMU game is to be on ESPN/ABC/ESPN2. Houston can pick up yet another ESPN game if the Cinci game is picked up (which is likely). That's in addition to two games on FSN and another on ESPN-Regional TV. We are likely to end up with 8 nationally televised games plus 3 more regionally televised games.

Next year, the coverage for AAC teams is set to get even better than this years coverage (90% of all games on national networks). Im not worried about the AAC teams being able to recruit against CUSA teams.

Comparing (Nbe's old contract/AAC's new tv contract) against CUSA's 4 year old contract is not appropriate. One year B12 has a tv contract worth $12M per school; bingo, next year it is $20M+ per B12 school. Putting CUSA at a four year handicap is absurd.

Within a conference structure which is automatically 50/50, that is, each conference victory is also a conference loss, there will be 3 losing AAC/West teams and there will be three losing CUSA teams. The winning CUSA west teams will probably be formidable recruiting opponents for the losing AAC teams.

One of the points I have made repeatedly in the past is that many schools like to blame their conference affiliation for their past failures....when, in reality, those failures were self inflicted.
11-06-2013 06:23 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

(11-06-2013 06:23 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  

Comparing (Nbe's old contract/AAC's new tv contract) against CUSA's 4 year old contract is not appropriate. One year B12 has a tv contract worth $12M per school; bingo, next year it is $20M+ per B12 school. Putting CUSA at a four year handicap is absurd.

Within a conference structure which is automatically 50/50, that is, each conference victory is also a conference loss, there will be 3 losing AAC/West teams and there will be three losing CUSA teams. The winning CUSA west teams will probably be formidable recruiting opponents for the losing AAC teams.

One of the points I have made repeatedly in the past is that many schools like to blame their conference affiliation for their past failures....when, in reality, those failures were self inflicted.

Given the turnover, the addition of many Sunbelt and FCS move-ups, there really is no guarantee that the new CUSA contract will be any better than the old contract. The new contract value negotiated by an equally reconstructed AAC will be significantly less than the old contract value. No reason to think that the CUSA contract will escape that same fate.

Now, to a degree, it appears that the AAC got much better exposure in exchange for taking a lower contract payout---perhaps CUSA might be able to pull that off. But given that I have noticed fewer CUSA games on television in my area when there is actually more available games in the CUSA inventory, my guess is that the networks are wary of the new product in year one. That said, Banowsky has been pretty crafty---so if anyone can hold the line on value and squeeze a few more televised games out of the deal--he would be the guy.
11-06-2013 08:12 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(11-06-2013 08:12 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 06:23 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 03:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  A lot of that depends on what happens to the AAC. Does it get raided and weakened, or is it able to stay whole and use its stronger national TV exposure as a platform to out recruit the other G-5 conferences.

Given the turnover, the addition of many Sunbelt and FCS move-ups, there really is no guarantee that the new CUSA contract will be any better than the old contract. The new contract value negotiated by an equally reconstructed AAC will be significantly less than the old contract value. No reason to think that the CUSA contract will escape that same fate.

The future CUSA contract is somewhat of a red herring.

Performance of that conference on the football field is at an all time low which may impact their negotiation negatively. Its even possible that the league could split up.

Quote:The four non-AQ conferences long ago agreed on a revenue ranking formula that averages the six BCS computers across the board. In the BCS standings, individual teams are evaluated through an average of two human polls (coaches', Harris) and four of the six computer indexes. The high and low of those rankings are thrown out each week.

Example: The MAC is No. 1 this week with an average rank of 80.63 of its 13 teams. The Mountain West, despite Fresno's lofty ranking, is second at 81.49. The Sun Belt is third with average rank of 83.69. Conference USA is a distant fourth at 85.62.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...n-illinois

A large part of the reason why you are seeing the MAC assume a larger presence in the post season is the realization at least for the next 5 years or so should be more competitive in FB than SBC or even CUSA.

Bowls like the fact that the MAC will have 12+ members for the foreseeable future. The MAC has 13 members and at most is in danger of losing 1-3 schools. If the MAC had to scramble to find a 12th it would have no problem convincing a SBC school to join. The SBC right now have 5 recent move ups from FCS (GSU, USA, TXST, App, Geo Southern) that have no tradition whatsoever at the FCS level.

Is there going to be more movement in the G5 ranks by 2016 when the MAC and CUSA TV contracts are up? That I don't know but I think its very possible something happens by 2020, which will ultimately trickle down to the SBC. The MAC is less risk with its stability and also is not yet another southern based G5 conference (AAC, CUSA, SBC).
11-06-2013 10:52 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(11-06-2013 12:25 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  The MWC's opponents in the Poinsettia Bowl for the next five years are Navy (2014), Army (2015), BYU (2016 and 2018), and the MAC (2017 and 2019). Once Navy joins the AAC in 2015, it may open up another year for the MAC in Poinsettia Bowl perhaps. That MAC is in a rotation with Army and BYU is a feather in MAC's hat it appears to me.

The Poinsettia Bowl has generally been the second best bowl for the MWC after the Vegas Bowl....so obviously, the Poinsettia Bowl gives the MAC a nice window of publicity and recognition.

The addition of the Poinsettia Bowl gives the MAC 5 guaranteed bowls games between 2014-2019. The MAC had no guaranteed bowl games in 1999. I don't know if I have the below bowls correct but something like this I think. Perhaps a MAC fan on this board can give us the correction rotation and years.

ANNUAL MAC BOWLS:
1. GoDaddy vs SBC
2. Famous Potato Bowl vs MWC
3. Camellia Bowl vs SBC

MAC BOWLS IN ROTATION WITH AAC, MWC, CUSA, & SBC:
Poinsettia, Boca Raton, Bahamas, and Miami Beach

The MAC office has the rotation all spelled out on its website. The MAC is rotating between the Poinsettia game and the Miami Beach Bowl in the last 4 years of the agreement.

http://www.mac-sports.com/tabid/969/Arti...e-MAC.aspx
11-06-2013 11:02 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
For this old man, past is prologue.

The "Never have, never will" WAC teams were supposedly left in the dust by the MWC at the Denver Airport.

Ditto when Cincy, USF, and Louisville left for BE. CUSA's tv and bowl games improved after their departure as new opportunities arose and the interest in sports continued.

It is interesting to watch this show of human nature for a third time.
11-07-2013 01:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.