Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

"I'm so glad" gone?
Bookmark and Share
mike4memphis Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
"I'm so glad" gone?
Now that Shirley is gone, has "I'm so glad" been removed from the band's playlist? I haven't heard it at any football games this year.

I'm not sure how popular it was, but I liked the way students and fans sang it in unison at football and basketball games.
11-04-2013 11:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigergg Offline
Heisman

RE: "I'm so glad" gone?
I liked it too, but I'm sure they will do at the BB games

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
11-05-2013 12:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies
(11-04-2013 11:53 PM)mike4memphis Wrote:  Now that Shirley is gone, has "I'm so glad" been removed from the band's playlist? I haven't heard it at any football games this year.

I'm not sure how popular it was, but I liked the way students and fans sang it in unison at football and basketball games.

I hope it's gone. I hated that song. I'd rather bring back "Tigerland"

Oh we're from Tigerland...
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 12:28 AM by 99Tiger.)
11-05-2013 12:28 AM
Mtyler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MEMPHIS
I am not a big fan of this song either. There is just something generic and hokey about singing "I'm so glad I go to the U of M" over and over again. I look at this song in the same light that I used to look at those horrible commercials we used to play during televised games. It seemed like everyone else's were well thought out with good production value and ours was thrown together with lame music and footage from a home camcorder.
11-05-2013 12:38 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
"I'm so glad" gone?
I've heard it at every football game. Not as much as in the past though. I personally love the the song.
11-05-2013 12:59 AM
lenetzach Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Tigers
"I'm so glad" gone?
I wonder how many people know that the song is changed from "I'm so glad Jesus lifted me."

I think the band usage started with HBCUs

But I don't care for the changed words. I'd rather not use it. Not a huge deal to me, but I can't get into it
11-05-2013 01:12 AM
Advertisement

Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(11-05-2013 12:59 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I've heard it at every football game. Not as much as in the past though. I personally love the the song.

They play it once every game just like they always have. Twice on rare occasions.
11-05-2013 07:14 AM
mike4memphis Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-05-2013 07:14 AM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 12:59 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I've heard it at every football game. Not as much as in the past though. I personally love the the song.

They play it once every game just like they always have. Twice on rare occasions.

Thanks...for some reason I can't recall hearing it...
11-05-2013 07:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2013 07:36 AM)mike4memphis Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 07:14 AM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  

Thanks...for some reason I can't recall hearing it...

I remember them playing it kind of an odd time during the Cincy game. It was right after one of the quarters ended I believe so a lot of fans had already headed to the bathroom and concessions stands probably. That might be why you did not hear it. I agree it is a little cheesy and gimmicky but for some reason I have always enjoyed it.
11-05-2013 07:41 AM
MemphisTiger15 Offline
Banned

I Root For: an AAC 'ship
Send it into retirement with Shirley and RC.

Oh, and for the poster who mentioned the cheesy commercials when the games were locally on ch 30 ---- the worst was the live ad that Gaston would do: "Pizza Hut special of the game. 2 mediums for $15 (or whatever it was). Hurry up and call folks, the Price is Tic, Tic, Ticking away"
11-05-2013 08:12 AM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
Quite naturally there are fans on both sides of this issue.

With respect to those who don't like, I, for one, really enjoy it. It's not hokey for me to see the fans [me included] joining in to sing along with the band.

For me, its one of the highlights of the game experience.
11-05-2013 08:32 AM
Advertisement

btiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesDonators
(11-04-2013 11:53 PM)mike4memphis Wrote:  Now that Shirley is gone, has "I'm so glad" been removed from the band's playlist? I haven't heard it at any football games this year.

please be true. that is the most irritating thing about being in the forum
11-05-2013 08:41 AM
ummechengr Offline
C'mon....really!?!?!

I am pretty sure the first time we played it (in public) was at the first N.O. bowl in 2003. The team had the game won, and really got into the song there in the half-empty Superdome. It seemed to become a tradition at that point....kind of a moment the team could think back on when they hear it again. At this point (10 years later), I'm indifferent on it's future.
11-05-2013 10:43 AM
transitt Offline
The William Hung of Memphis music

I Root For: A fresh start
Re: "I'm so glad" gone?
The thing I'm glad will disappear is Shirley's dreamers thinkers doers commercial. Man she sounded like a bumpkin in that ad.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
11-05-2013 10:44 AM
Eagle4Christ Offline
Thread killer

(11-05-2013 01:12 AM)lenetzach Wrote:  I wonder how many people know that the song is changed from "I'm so glad Jesus lifted me."

I think the band usage started with HBCUs

But I don't care for the changed words. I'd rather not use it. Not a huge deal to me, but I can't get into it

I used to sing along, but with the original lyrics. I don't have a problem with them co-opting the tune, but the changed lyrics don't scan right. The nine syllables in the original fit the tune better than ten of the new.

Though it did my heart good to hear thousands sing "glory, Hallelujah!" in unison, praising God Almighty, albeit unknowingly for many, I'm sure.
11-05-2013 11:12 AM
fxjess Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tigers!!!
They have played it at every game thus far...using a more upbeat tempo which I like.
11-05-2013 11:37 AM
Advertisement

MemphisTiger15 Offline
Banned

I Root For: an AAC 'ship
They usually play it at the under 8 timeout in the 2nd half. Its the cue for the old folks to start leaving.
11-05-2013 12:24 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-05-2013 10:43 AM)ummechengr Wrote:  I am pretty sure the first time we played it (in public) was at the first N.O. bowl in 2003. The team had the game won, and really got into the song there in the half-empty Superdome. It seemed to become a tradition at that point....kind of a moment the team could think back on when they hear it again. At this point (10 years later), I'm indifferent on it's future.

Hmmm. 10 years. I was there. Good memories make me think...road trip. No bowl but New Orleans is always a good trip.
11-05-2013 12:51 PM
Rocko Offline
Bench Warmer

I was hoping they would come up with some new songs. Some of them are kind of lame and don't know why they are being played during a football game.
11-05-2013 12:54 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
I wish our band director would watch Top 25 football games on TV, note what the bands play and emulate them to some extent. If we want to be perceived as a big-time football program we need to look and sound like one. Ouir band just plays the same songs for football as they do for basketball - we can do better.
11-05-2013 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.