Congrats to both
11-02-2013 03:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FoUTASportscaster Online
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
RE: XCountry Championships
It's UTA's second men's championships in a row, five of the seven top finishers were from UTA, none of which are seniors. UTA, with 23 points to second place UALR's 54 was quite dominant.

On the women's side, Arkansas State beat UTA 50-62. Curiously, of the top 15 runners in the meet, only one is a senior. Results may be similar next year too.

Question for the Texas State folks. You guys are quite competitive in track season, being our biggest competition most years. Yet y'all have never been a force in cross country, why is that?
11-02-2013 05:17 PM
CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
XCountry Championships
(11-02-2013 05:17 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  It's UTA's second men's championships in a row, five of the seven top finishers were from UTA, none of which are seniors. UTA, with 23 points to second place UALR's 54 was quite dominant.

On the women's side, Arkansas State beat UTA 50-62. Curiously, of the top 15 runners in the meet, only one is a senior. Results may be similar next year too.

Question for the Texas State folks. You guys are quite competitive in track season, being our biggest competition most years. Yet y'all have never been a force in cross country, why is that?

CC guys probably participate in maybe 3 or 4 T&F events. You need more than dominance in distance to win T&F meets at the collegiate level.
11-02-2013 08:55 PM
Advertisement

FoUTASportscaster Online
Heisman

I understand how it works. You will find that many of the NCAA leaders in CC and T&F are the same.

Over the course of two plus decades competing in the SLC, I have never seen the Bobcats have success in cross country. At UTA, we have won track meets due to different strengths. Sometimes we had good sprinters or our field guys carried the load or our long distance came through.

Despite their T&F success, it has never carried over to or from cross country.
11-02-2013 11:23 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
This will be coach Boone's 3rd year. T&F did really well in the WAC, taking 3 of the 4 championships. I think our strength, though, was more in the Field events. Because of the downturn at TXST, before Coach Boone, it will take time for her to recruit to the strengths that would translate into a good CC team.

That downturn also made athletes shy away from the program. It will take time to re-catch the eyes of elite athletes coming out of HS. I do think Boone and staff are a very good group and it won't be as long as it might have beenwith someone else.

One a side note: I would love to see Charles Austin get involved in some capacity. Heck, even his son won't come to TXST.
11-03-2013 11:42 AM
Advertisement

Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
(11-02-2013 05:17 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  It's UTA's second men's championships in a row, five of the seven top finishers were from UTA, none of which are seniors. UTA, with 23 points to second place UALR's 54 was quite dominant.

CC recruits see the hills they would have to run on a daily basis and get scared lol.
11-04-2013 05:52 PM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
FWIW I've been a runner my whole life and my younger brother runs at the University of Arkansas (who also took 1st place in dominating fashion in their SEC XC meet last week). So congrats to UTA, looks like a great team effort!
11-05-2013 10:51 AM
Advertisement

FoUTASportscaster Online
Heisman

Five runners in the top seven positions is really astounding.
11-05-2013 12:03 PM
CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
XCountry Championships
(11-05-2013 10:51 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  FWIW I've been a runner my whole life and my younger brother runs at the University of Arkansas (who also took 1st place in dominating fashion in their SEC XC meet last week). So congrats to UTA, looks like a great team effort!

Your little bro must be a damn good runner if he runs at Arkansas.

Little tidbit, Arkansas CC and T&F legend John McDonnell is a UL (then USL) graduate.
11-05-2013 12:11 PM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
(11-05-2013 12:11 PM)CajunFan3406 Wrote:  Your little bro must be a damn good runner if he runs at Arkansas.

Little tidbit, Arkansas CC and T&F legend John McDonnell is a UL (then USL) graduate.

He's a high jumper now, and to be honest I still think he would have made a better mid distance runner, but he was #2 or #3 in the state of Georgia his senior year in XC and #4 in the High Jump.
11-05-2013 01:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.