Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bucs land 6'10" center, Karl Overstreet
Bookmark and Share
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
Bucs land 6'10" center, Karl Overstreet
Here's a big that we've all been clamoring for: Karl Overstreet, a 6'10" center from Lynchburg via Hargrave Military Academy, committed to the Bucs.

Phenom Hoop Report Evaluation:
Evaluation: Overstreet is a fundamentally sound player and has a solid understanding of the game. He has a high basketball IQ and the slender PF is fluid and mobile. He runs the floor well and does a good job of posting up on the low block. He did a good job of establishing position and showing two hands as a target and called for the ball. He has been well coached as he talks much on the court. Once the shot goes up, he is immediately looking for someone to box out. In almost every sequence when his player shot the ball, he closed out properly and got a hand up and even called out a “shot call.” How often do you see that these days? The next step in his development is to get physically stronger. He needs to add weight and muscle to his frame. If he continues to develop, he should be a nice target for mid major schools looking for a skilled 6’9 PF.

(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 06:01 PM by Bucfaithful.)
10-30-2013 05:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Millser Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Bucs land 6'10" center, Karl Overstreet
(10-30-2013 05:59 PM)Bucfaithful Wrote:  Here's a big that we've all been clamoring for: Karl Overstreet, a 6'10" center from Lynchburg via Hargrave Military Academy, committed to the Bucs.

Evaluation: Overstreet is a fundamentally sound player and has a solid understanding of the game. He has a high basketball IQ and the slender PF is fluid and mobile. He runs the floor well and does a good job of posting up on the low block. He did a good job of establishing position and showing two hands as a target and called for the ball. He has been well coached as he talks much on the court. Once the shot goes up, he is immediately looking for someone to box out. In almost every sequence when his player shot the ball, he closed out properly and got a hand up and even called out a “shot call.” How often do you see that these days? The next step in his development is to get physically stronger. He needs to add weight and muscle to his frame. If he continues to develop, he should be a nice target for mid major schools looking for a skilled 6’9 PF.

I was a bit worried because while tall he wasnt very big in that video but I just watched a more recent one and he has packed on some (healthy)bulk, looks great can't wait to see him in blue and gold
10-30-2013 08:24 PM
Bucs44 Offline
Water Engineer

(10-30-2013 08:24 PM)Millser Wrote:  
(10-30-2013 05:59 PM)Bucfaithful Wrote:  Here's a big that we've all been clamoring for: Karl Overstreet, a 6'10" center from Lynchburg via Hargrave Military Academy, committed to the Bucs.

I was a bit worried because while tall he wasnt very big in that video but I just watched a more recent one and he has packed on some (healthy)bulk, looks great can't wait to see him in blue and gold
10-30-2013 10:56 PM
Bucs44 Offline
Water Engineer

(10-30-2013 08:24 PM)Millser Wrote:  

10-30-2013 10:56 PM
Bucs44 Offline
Water Engineer

I'm curious, where did we get info that Karl Overstreet has committed to the Bucs? All the sites I have seen doesn't mention it at all. I'm jus wondering.
10-30-2013 10:58 PM
Buc'ed_Up Offline
1st String

This:
https://twitter.com/overstreet44/status/...6095270912

And This:
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status...8339065856

So the scouting report above lists him at 6'9, BucFaithful says he's 6'10, and Verbal Commits lists him at 6'11. A happy medium I suppose? Which is it? Either way, super glad we got this guy! Our first BIG in a while
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 06:50 AM by Buc'ed_Up.)
10-31-2013 06:48 AM
Advertisement

youngbuc Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU, USC Cocks
What is this kid playing? rec ball?
10-31-2013 07:59 PM
Bucs44 Offline
Water Engineer

(10-31-2013 06:48 AM)Buced_Up Wrote:  This:
https://twitter.com/overstreet44/status/...6095270912

And This:
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status...8339065856

So the scouting report above lists him at 6'9, BucFaithful says he's 6'10, and Verbal Commits lists him at 6'11. A happy medium I suppose? Which is it? Either way, super glad we got this guy! Our first BIG in a while
11-03-2013 01:05 AM
Bucs44 Offline
Water Engineer

From what I heard yesterday, no one from ETSU is claiming any knowledge of Overstreet commitment.
11-03-2013 01:06 AM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

(11-03-2013 01:06 AM)Bucs44 Wrote:  From what I heard yesterday, no one from ETSU is claiming any knowledge of Overstreet commitment.

I think the athletic department must keep commitments confidential until the official LOI signing. In addition, it has seemed that "leaks" about commitments and other information has been kept particularly air tight under Sander.

Here are a few links to articles corroborating this commitment:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basket...overstreet

http://phenomhoopreport.com/karl-overstr...see-state/
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 03:43 AM by Bucfaithful.)
11-03-2013 03:36 AM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

His high school coach at E.C. Glass in Lynchburg said he was only in his 4th year of organized ball as a senior. Looks like he needs to get Lester Wilson to introduce him to a good weight room - but he may have a lot of upside as he learns the game and gets stronger. A postgrad year at Hargraves is probably the perfect thing for him.
http://www.wset.com/story/21555211/karl-...ior-center

He was 2nd team AA Virginia All-State.
http://www.vhscainc.com/uploads/3/1/8/5/...etball.pdf

Things look promising next year for guards and swingmen (Wilson and O'field). We really need some bigs!!
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 01:33 PM by swvabucsfan.)
11-04-2013 01:28 PM
Advertisement

Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

11-06-2013 07:53 PM
bucfan1968 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
Welcome Karl..looking forward to seeing you wear the Blue & Gold..
the article says he will help us win Asun championship... of course that should say Socon....... GO BUCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11-07-2013 04:43 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
The kid talks a lot about Bartow as key to his choice. Would he attend ETSU without Bartow as coach.
11-10-2013 10:15 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

From Danville paper: http://www.godanriver.com/sports/prep/ar...l?mode=jqm

Overstreet, a 6-foot-11-inch center from Lynchburg, signed with the Buccaneers of East Tennessee State University. Though he has seen limited playing time because of a hand injury he suffered during a preseason practice session, Overstreet was a major pickup for the Bucs, whose tallest player is currently listed at 6 feet 8 inches tall. As a senior at E.C. Glass last year, Overstreet helped lead the Hilltoppers to the VHSL Final Four after registering 14 rebounds and six blocks in his team’s quarterfinal matchup with Carroll County. Though he’s the only member of ETSU’s class so far, Overstreet is excited about seeing how the rest of his class pans out.“ If I can attract some other guards are whoever they want to bring in to work with me I think that would be cool,” he said. “But whatever they have going on I’m just there to work for them.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2013 04:32 PM by Bucfaithful.)
11-14-2013 04:32 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

We've also offered Overstreet's teammate at Hargrave, Ahmad Thomas (6'4" WG). Maybe Overstreet is referring to Thomas in his comment about "If I can attract other guards..."
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2013 06:20 PM by Bucfaithful.)
11-14-2013 06:19 PM
Advertisement

Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Official release: http://www.etsubucs.com/mbasketball/news...-15-class/

I didn't realize that Hargrave was the no. 2 prep school in the country. Overstreet is already playing with and against D1 players, probably major ones.
11-23-2013 11:13 AM
shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
Haven't written off this season yet, but next season looks promising! Overstreet doesn't look like a project to me. This could be the best recruit in years for the undersized Bucs. We'll see...

To me, the following video shows quick movement and awareness for a big guy.

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 08:49 PM by shampoo.)
11-23-2013 08:48 PM
BucMania Offline
Bench Warmer

Why does it seem it always takes so long for us to sign/release the signing of our recruits? Or is it just me? Women released theirs on signing day...what's the holdup in the basketball office.
11-23-2013 09:48 PM
ETSU2265 Offline
Bench Warmer

Any updates on Overstreet?
02-22-2014 06:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.