Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Idaho Newspaper interview with Karl Benson
Bookmark and Share
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Idaho Newspaper interview with Karl Benson
http://www.thevandalnation.com/?p=8584

My question is what happens when attendance is still suffering even being in the Sunbelt? Will things eventually work themselves out to where Idaho football finally goes back to the Big Sky?
10-30-2013 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: Idaho Newspaper interview with Karl Benson
They have a decision to make. Number one has to be to take the roof off that place and expand their stadium The attraction should be them offering what the other schools in the region offer like Boise State and Wyoming. But if not then they need to move to FCS.
10-30-2013 11:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Read most of it. Honestly, seems like Benson is a little out of touch with reality. He says Liberty and JMU are in the SBC footprint, who is his map maker and he needs a new one. Yes, they are closer then Idaho and NMSU, but still moves the conference into an ever expanding footprint that I don't believe will be beneficial.
10-30-2013 11:47 AM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
(10-30-2013 11:47 AM)Usajags Wrote:  Read most of it. Honestly, seems like Benson is a little out of touch with reality. He says Liberty and JMU are in the SBC footprint, who is his map maker and he needs a new one. Yes, they are closer then Idaho and NMSU, but still moves the conference into an ever expanding footprint that I don't believe will be beneficial.

Closer than Idaho, yes.... But if you are driving, neither is as close as NMSU for Cajun fans.
10-30-2013 11:51 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(10-30-2013 11:47 AM)Usajags Wrote:  Read most of it. Honestly, seems like Benson is a little out of touch with reality. He says Liberty and JMU are in the SBC footprint, who is his map maker and he needs a new one. Yes, they are closer then Idaho and NMSU, but still moves the conference into an ever expanding footprint that I don't believe will be beneficial.

They are the only East options even close to the foot print that don't play in Alabama.

Sure, Missouri State is in the footprint, but to do that would require shifting UL east...a move I don't know if the Cajuns will want to make.
10-30-2013 11:56 AM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

(10-30-2013 11:56 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

They are the only East options even close to the foot print that don't play in Alabama.

Sure, Missouri State is in the footprint, but to do that would require shifting UL east...a move I don't know if the Cajuns will want to make.

I want to play ASU, South Alabama, TxSt every year, send ULM East to the small market schools, and USA our annual foe from the east.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 12:02 PM by CajunExpress.)
10-30-2013 12:00 PM
Advertisement

Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(10-30-2013 12:00 PM)CajunExpress Wrote:  

I want to play ASU, South Alabama, TxSt every year, send ULM East to the small market schools, and USA our annual foe from the east.

I doubt you could find a single Cajuns fan to disagree with this, even though it puts us in the same football division as Idaho. Also, ULM is closer to every school , except for USA, in the East than UL is.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 12:15 PM by Vobserver.)
10-30-2013 12:13 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama

Thanks. I consider that a real compliment.
10-30-2013 12:16 PM
chiefsfan Offline

I have no problem sending ULM East. I just figured that UL was a more viable choice geography wise.
10-30-2013 12:18 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta

I dont understand the hesitancy to add all the nmsu sports. they want it and we need it. how can he not want a big time major basketball program when they would like to join..do we want to improve the image and standing of the conference or not.
10-30-2013 12:21 PM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

(10-30-2013 12:18 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I have no problem sending ULM East. I just figured that UL was a more viable choice geography wise.

Though I did not state it, VO clearly has it right. ULM is a better fit for the East being closer. It only an extra hundred and sixty miles for you guys to come to Lafayette, and us to Jonesboro. In the case of the Red Wolves well worth the ride, and frankly going to MoanROW is a dreadful experience that should only be visited upon Troy, and the two newbies.
10-30-2013 12:23 PM
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Benson said the ideal footprint in Texas to Florida. He didn't mention how far north. When he was asked about JMU he answered first with Liberty. It shows how much he wants that school over the others IMO.
10-30-2013 12:23 PM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(10-30-2013 12:21 PM)runamuck Wrote:  

I dont understand the hesitancy to add all the nmsu sports. they want it and we need it. how can he not want a big time major basketball program when they would like to join..do we want to improve the image and standing of the conference or not.

Because he is so far up the a** of the newbies in the East and Troy that he feels obligated to keep filling in on the East with their little buddies, instead of doing what is clearly better for the Conference..
10-30-2013 12:28 PM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

(10-30-2013 12:23 PM)slycat Wrote:  Benson said the ideal footprint in Texas to Florida. He didn't mention how far north. When he was asked about JMU he answered first with Liberty. It shows how much he wants that school over the others IMO.

I doubt you can read too much into anything Benson says. He knows Liberty is dying to get into the conference, and JMU only mildly interested. He knows the eastern schools would not accept NMSU before so nothing has changed except UL, and ASU pretty much wash their hands on expansion plans once the eastern schools led by TROY killed the NMSU bid last year.
10-30-2013 12:30 PM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(10-30-2013 12:30 PM)CajunExpress Wrote:  
(10-30-2013 12:23 PM)slycat Wrote:  Benson said the ideal footprint in Texas to Florida. He didn't mention how far north. When he was asked about JMU he answered first with Liberty. It shows how much he wants that school over the others IMO.

I doubt you can read too much into anything Benson says. He knows Liberty is dying to get into the conference, and JMU only mildly interested. He knows the eastern schools would not accept NMSU before so nothing has changed except UL, and ASU pretty much wash their hands on expansion plans once the eastern schools led by TROY killed the NMSU bid last year.

Let us not forget that WKU, knowing that they were leaving, helped lead the opposition to NMSU as well.
10-30-2013 12:34 PM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

You would think they would have refrained in this matter. I guess they owed Troy something.
10-30-2013 12:36 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

ASU and UL have always had our own ideas on expansion. Troy always seems to get the important powers thanks to Hawkins being the head of the Presidents and Chancellors.

If it was up to the West schools, NMSU would already be in all sports, but Troy objected and App/Ga State/ and Ga Southern backed them up.

My wild guess is that ASU and UL have blocked Liberty with the backing of Texas State UTA and ULM. Neither will object if JMU shows interest in the SBC, but would most likely was their hands of the situation with CUSA expansion so unknown at the moment. If JMU does not show interest fast enough, you will see a huge push from the West schools to take Missouri State...which I think might actually appease a few East schools (Notably App and GSU) who would want a league title game in 2015.
10-30-2013 12:42 PM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(10-30-2013 12:42 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  ASU and UL have always had our own ideas on expansion. Troy always seems to get the important powers thanks to Hawkins being the head of the Presidents and Chancellors.

If it was up to the West schools, NMSU would already be in all sports, but Troy objected and App/Ga State/ and Ga Southern backed them up.

My wild guess is that ASU and UL have blocked Liberty with the backing of Texas State UTA and ULM. Neither will object if JMU shows interest in the SBC, but would most likely was their hands of the situation with CUSA expansion so unknown at the moment. If JMU does not show interest fast enough, you will see a huge push from the West schools to take Missouri State...which I think might actually appease a few East schools (Notably App and GSU) who would want a league title game in 2015.

I don't disagree with this; but I think that UL, TxSt and ASU should insist on getting NMSU for all sports as well, as a concession for not blocking another move-up.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 12:53 PM by Vobserver.)
10-30-2013 12:52 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(10-30-2013 12:52 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  
(10-30-2013 12:42 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  ASU and UL have always had our own ideas on expansion. Troy always seems to get the important powers thanks to Hawkins being the head of the Presidents and Chancellors.

I don't disagree with this; but I think that UL, TxSt and ASU should insist on getting NMSU for all sports as well, as a concession for not blocking another move-up.

No need, both ASU and UL have shrewd ideas that the current arrangement of G5 schools will not last in its present alignment, and by simply washing their hands of NMSU, neither makes any enemies. If things start to blow up, we could easily grab Texas State and NMSU and have a lot of support structure should we need to have like minded schools willing to work with us. In the meantime, we remain well liked amongst SBC East schools should things stay together.

Truthfully, I think we could convince USA to go along with the West schools in terms of realignment.
10-30-2013 12:59 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
I think JMU has to make a decison this Spring. I understand they won't declare anything before Spring because the CAA would probably exclude them from every Spring championship if they did. But by April I think JMU has to either say yes or no to the SunBelt. If they decline I think Georgia Southern for one would support Missouri St. I just don't think Liberty is ever going to be invited to the SunBelt.

So we have Missouri St., Jacksonville St. or Eastern Kentucky as the alternatives.
10-30-2013 01:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.