Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USA Today new bowl projections (Oct. 30)
Bookmark and Share
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
USA Today new bowl projections (Oct. 30)
Five MAC teams projected to be "a-bowling". They are:

BG-Ark St in Potato Bowl
Buffalo-Tulane in Beef O Brady's Bowl
BSU-IU in LCB (interesting intra-state rivalry match-up that should produce a good crowd)
UT-UC in PinStripe (seems like an odd choice for a game in NY)
NIU-Troy in GoDaddy.com

"Flagship" program not projected but that could change of course.

Here ya go:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca...a/3295605/
10-30-2013 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
RE: USA Today new bowl projections (Oct. 30)
Can't get more "flagship" than Toledo...... surely you must be making fun of the other schools in the MAC.
10-30-2013 09:47 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Toledo vs. UC three years in a row... I'd enjoy a sweep, and a new rival.
10-30-2013 10:18 AM
BullBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo
Pretty sure Buffalo would get a Pinstripe invite before Toledo if both teams are pretty even.
10-30-2013 10:37 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(10-30-2013 10:37 AM)BullBoy Wrote:  Pretty sure Buffalo would get a Pinstripe invite before Toledo if both teams are pretty even.

100% agree. Buffalo is after all in New York.

I also think because of Toledo SOS, and in the scenario Toledo wins at least 3/ final four we would be taken before pinstripe bowl could take us. Buffalo is good though and I believe they are in the way of winning 3 of final 4. Akron won't be easy either.
10-30-2013 10:45 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(10-30-2013 10:37 AM)BullBoy Wrote:  Pretty sure Buffalo would get a Pinstripe invite before Toledo if both teams are pretty even.

That would be good for all parties.
10-30-2013 11:09 AM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(10-30-2013 09:40 AM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  Five MAC teams projected to be "a-bowling". They are:

BG-Ark St in Potato Bowl
BSU-IU in LCB (interesting intra-state rivalry match-up that should produce a good crowd)
UT-UC in PinStripe (seems like an odd choice for a game in NY)
NIU-Troy in GoDaddy.com

"Flagship" program not projected but that could change of course.

Here ya go:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca...a/3295605/

If UB does not get the Pinstripe over another MAC team I will be so pissed at the conference....

If the MAC can pick their team for the Pinstripe and Buffalo is a go then it needs to be UB!

New Era is a Buffalo Based Company founded by a UB gradaute who is also a member of the #NYBI. We are trying to be more "New York State", most of our students come from NYC, and it's one of the most drivable Bowl games for people in WNY.
10-30-2013 11:13 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(10-30-2013 10:45 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

100% agree. Buffalo is after all in New York.

I also think because of Toledo SOS, and in the scenario Toledo wins at least 3/ final four we would be taken before pinstripe bowl could take us. Buffalo is good though and I believe they are in the way of winning 3 of final 4. Akron won't be easy either.

Keep in mind the founder of New Era is a UB alumnus 03-wink
10-30-2013 11:15 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
Swap ND in the Poinsettia and Toledo in the Pinstripe.

The MAC has the backup to Army in the Poinsettia and ND has a hand shake backup deal with the Pinstripe.
10-30-2013 12:21 PM
RecoveringHillbilly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo, WVU
(10-30-2013 11:13 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  If UB does not get the Pinstripe over another MAC team I will be so pissed at the conference....

If the MAC can pick their team for the Pinstripe and Buffalo is a go then it needs to be UB!

New Era is a Buffalo Based Company founded by a UB gradaute who is also a member of the #NYBI. We are trying to be more "New York State", most of our students come from NYC, and it's one of the most drivable Bowl games for people in WNY.

One of the most drivable of bowls, true. But that haul to and from NYC is still brutal, no matter which route through Upstate you take. It's similar in time to the rare drives I've made to Athens. Even Toledo is much faster and easier, than NYC. Most of the 75K alums like me in Buffalo who would go to a bowl will just fly, so Pinstripe or Beef o'Brady's wouldn't mean much difference. The x factor would be 35K NYC alums vs 8500 Florida alums: How many from NYC would just as soon take a brief December trip to sunny St Pete vs light-rain time to the Bronx?
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 01:16 PM by RecoveringHillbilly.)
10-30-2013 01:16 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(10-30-2013 09:40 AM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  NIU-Troy in GoDaddy.com

That would be such a mismatch. The best i see them going is 8-4 since Ole Miss is one of their last four remaining opponents. They very well could go 7-5.

The last two SBC teams we played in bowl games were complete blowouts.
10-30-2013 01:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(10-30-2013 12:21 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  Swap ND in the Poinsettia and Toledo in the Pinstripe.

The MAC has the backup to Army in the Poinsettia and ND has a hand shake backup deal with the Pinstripe.

Hoping the Poinsettia would be partial to us again. I would be able to host a bunch of Huskie fans since Qualcomm is only 10-12 mins from where i live.
10-30-2013 01:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
(10-30-2013 09:40 AM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  Five MAC teams projected to be "a-bowling". They are:
<snip>
<snip>

The Bulls in the Beef Bowl? They'd be made into hamburger!!!
10-30-2013 01:45 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
Last year was a banner year for the MAC with 7 teams playing in bowls, this year feels much less successful but when you look at it there's a good chance we'll have 7 bowl eligible teams again this year. A bit of a surprise.

Snapshot of MAC bowl teams after week 9 last year-
8-1 Northern Illinois
8-1 Toledo
7-1 Kent State
7-1 Ohio
6-3 Ball State
6-3 Bowling Green
3-5 Central Michigan
45-15 Total record

Snapshot of potential MAC bowl teams after week 9 this year-
8-0 Northern Illinois
8-1 Ball State
6-2 Buffalo
6-2 Ohio
5-3 Toledo
5-3 Bowling Green
3-5 Central Michigan
41-16 total record

the marquee non conference wins and national rankings don't compare to last year but overall its good to see the top half of the conference reaching bowl eligibility again.
11-02-2013 12:01 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(11-02-2013 12:01 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  Last year was a banner year for the MAC with 7 teams playing in bowls, this year feels much less successful but when you look at it there's a good chance we'll have 7 bowl eligible teams again this year. A bit of a surprise.

Snapshot of MAC bowl teams after week 9 last year-
8-1 Northern Illinois
8-1 Toledo
7-1 Kent State
7-1 Ohio
6-3 Ball State
6-3 Bowling Green
3-5 Central Michigan
45-15 Total record

Snapshot of potential MAC bowl teams after week 9 this year-
8-0 Northern Illinois
8-1 Ball State
6-2 Buffalo
6-2 Ohio
5-3 Toledo
5-3 Bowling Green
3-5 Central Michigan
41-16 total record

the marquee non conference wins and national rankings don't compare to last year but overall its good to see the top half of the conference reaching bowl eligibility again.

Nice work.

I made a similar observation when looking at the standings and seeing that CMU is still in play for bowl eligibility. If BG beats Miss State and Ohio could have taken out Louisville then 2013 is a repeat of 2012, IMO.
11-02-2013 01:21 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
There was no way OU was going to beat Louisville, but BG had a legit shot at Miss. State. Akron beating Michigan is what we really needed, having a 'lowly MAC team' beat an 'elite Big Ten program' like scUM would go a long way to helping our national perception.

We are looking weaker compared to last year's victories over Penn State, UC, Rutgers, etc., and this this year's flops like Miami and WMU have really hurt the MAC. However, the success of NIU and the top of the MAC pretty much negates that if they perform come bowl time. If for whatever reason NIU doesn't get a BCS bid, we're looking at matchups where we have some good teams playing the likes of Indiana, UL-Lafayette, and Colorado State (plus teams like Boise State and Marshall if we get the Poinsettia and St. Pete secondary bids). I like our chances with our top teams playing them. Having a 3-2 or 4-1 bowl record compared to last year's 2-5 would make us look strong.
11-02-2013 01:59 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-02-2013 01:59 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  There was no way OU was going to beat Louisville, but BG had a legit shot at Miss. State. Akron beating Michigan is what we really needed, having a 'lowly MAC team' beat an 'elite Big Ten program' like scUM would go a long way to helping our national perception.

We are looking weaker compared to last year's victories over Penn State, UC, Rutgers, etc., and this this year's flops like Miami and WMU have really hurt the MAC. However, the success of NIU and the top of the MAC pretty much negates that if they perform come bowl time. If for whatever reason NIU doesn't get a BCS bid, we're looking at matchups where we have some good teams playing the likes of Indiana, UL-Lafayette, and Colorado State (plus teams like Boise State and Marshall if we get the Poinsettia and St. Pete secondary bids). I like our chances with our top teams playing them. Having a 3-2 or 4-1 bowl record compared to last year's 2-5 would make us look strong.

-Good point on the need to have a strong bowl record this year for the MAC as priority #1.

-Last year was a banner year for the MAC in the non-conference schedule. Ohio for example was 5-0 non-conference and 4-4 MAC. Kent State had an unreal performance against a ranked Rutgers team.

-What the MAC really needs is 2 top 25 programs......one in the West (NIU) and somebody doing comparable damage in the East. That would make the MAC look really solid like the MWC did with Utah/TCU.

-The MAC if it could sustain a couple of Top 25 programs would make an excellent arguement for having a contract bowl once 2020 rolls around.

I could see the AAC getting carved up between the B12 and ACC with the remaining programs joining the MWC or MAC. The next two bowls to reach major conference status are likely to be the Holiday and Capital One.

ACC (UConn, WVU)
B12 (Cinncy, Memphis, Tulane)
MWC (Houston, SMU)
MAC (Temple, ECU, UCF)
CUSA (Tulsa, USF)

The MAC could then land a contract to sign its champion to the Capital One Bowl while the MWC becomes an AQ for the Holiday Bowl.
11-02-2013 02:20 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
There's no way Tulane goes to the Big 12 or ECU, and UCF go the the MAC. In the case the top teams in the AAC leave for an AQ conference, the refugees will go to the MWC or C-USA.
11-02-2013 02:27 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

Air Force beat Army 42-28. Army now has six losses. One more loss and they will not be able to get bowl eligible. They still have Navy left who will likely beat them.

MAC can then fill in Army's spot to Poinsettia Bowl.
11-02-2013 02:48 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-02-2013 02:48 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Air Force beat Army 42-28. Army now has six losses. One more loss and they will not be able to get bowl eligible. They still have Navy left who will likely beat them.

MAC can then fill in Army's spot to Poinsettia Bowl.

I could see that Poinsettia Bowl going to NIU if they get robbed. NIU would put the beat down Boise State and make the MAC look good.
11-02-2013 02:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.