Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should Rutgers Fire Flood?
Bookmark and Share
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
Should Rutgers Fire Flood?
With Rutgers impending move to the B1G and a new AD in place, does Kyle Flood make it to the next season as the head coach? I would hope not. Personally I think he isn't a top notch head coach the Scarlett Knights need to lead them into the next big chapter of their FB history.

I would go out and make an offer to Bobby Petrino. Yes, he's had some issues in the past but if you offer him a chance to coach in the B1G after what he went through he'd jump at the chance. You'd also get him on the cheap because of his antics. He's great with QB's and really runs an exciting offense, something we haven't seen since Ray Rice was scorching defenses with his speed.

I would also look at Steve Adazzio at BC. He was at Temple and did a good job with them. I think a job in the B1G is something he'd rather have than a bad team in the ACC. Defensive mind that would help us going against a much improved slate of offensive teams.

Northern Illinois coach Rod Carey would also be a good target. He's done a great job with that MAC program. Having success in the region they will be playing from now on. Imagine what he could do with an expanded set of resources?

After this season I don't think the new AD ties her wagon to Flood. I think she makes a decision to go with her own hire and I hope it's one of the three listed here. Though Petrino would be my first choice. Proven track record of success at all of his college stops.
10-29-2013 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chrisRU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, NJIT
RE: Should Rutgers Fire Flood?
I would be pretty upset if they hired Petrino. That's not the type of guy I'd want as the highest paid employee my alma mater (and the state of NJ). I don't know enough about the other guys.

I'm sure Flood's leash is getting shorter. He went all in on Nova and it's clear Nova is not panning out. However, I doubt he gets fired unless RU collapses and goes 6-6 or misses a bowl.

Regarding QB's, what does Dodd get you? I don't think he wins the Houston game. I'm not sure he affects the result of either Louisville game in the past two seasons either. Leaving Nova in for Kent State and VT was ridiculous, but no reporter covering Rutgers has indicated that there is a QB on the team that will get you more than what Nova is getting you. On top of that, the running game is suspect until Paul James comes back (assuming he was not a flash in the pan in the first place).

The defensive side of the ball is helpless against the spread. However, we graduated a ton of players on defense last year. I don't know if anyone expected the defense to be this bad, but no one expected the defense to be good either. If the defense is a train wreck next year as well, then obviously we need to question what is going on. I think the DC needs to go this year as well.

Anyway, I'm not happy with Flood at the moment, but I really think it's a very small chance they can him (nor should they). He is pulling in a great recruiting class and will probably get RU to 8-4 and into a bowl, which is what most rational people expected. FYI: Vegas had RU at 6.5 wins before the season started.

If RU finishes below .500 next year, I think JH will can Flood.
10-29-2013 12:13 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(10-29-2013 12:13 PM)chrisRU Wrote:  I would be pretty upset if they hired Petrino. That's not the type of guy I'd want as the highest paid employee my alma mater (and the state of NJ). I don't know enough about the other guys.

I'm sure Flood's leash is getting shorter. He went all in on Nova and it's clear Nova is not panning out. However, I doubt he gets fired unless RU collapses and goes 6-6 or misses a bowl.

Regarding QB's, what does Dodd get you? I don't think he wins the Houston game. I'm not sure he affects the result of either Louisville game in the past two seasons either. Leaving Nova in for Kent State and VT was ridiculous, but no reporter covering Rutgers has indicated that there is a QB on the team that will get you more than what Nova is getting you. On top of that, the running game is suspect until Paul James comes back (assuming he was not a flash in the pan in the first place).

The defensive side of the ball is helpless against the spread. However, we graduated a ton of players on defense last year. I don't know if anyone expected the defense to be this bad, but no one expected the defense to be good either. If the defense is a train wreck next year as well, then obviously we need to question what is going on. I think the DC needs to go this year as well.

Anyway, I'm not happy with Flood at the moment, but I really think it's a very small chance they can him (nor should they). He is pulling in a great recruiting class and will probably get RU to 8-4 and into a bowl, which is what most rational people expected. FYI: Vegas had RU at 6.5 wins before the season started.

If RU finishes below .500 next year, I think JH will can Flood.

6-6 or 7-5 in the American is like 5-7 in the B1G.
10-29-2013 07:32 PM
RUfan03 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, MCC
I projected Rutgers as an 8-4 team.

Flood's hire was the result of the timing of Schiano's departure, his taking of a good number of the RU's assistant coaches with him and RU trying to keep their incoming recruiting class intact. Flood had no head coaching experience. I think he gets to finish this year and maybe one in the Big 10. If the results aren't good then I think RU looks for a new coach.
10-29-2013 11:31 PM
rutgers4life Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: RU, Duke, BEast
Flood does not have the 'chops' to handle it in the big 10. He needs to go. Sooner than later.

Stubbornly sticking with Nova through some of the worst QB experiences I have ever witnessed is proof this guy plays favorites, and understands football 'measurables' more than he understands football. Nice guy, great recruiter - terrible football iq.
11-02-2013 09:11 AM
Advertisement

rutgers4life Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: RU, Duke, BEast
Oh and forget this year... last year RU sent 14 guys to the NFL. 14!!! And we went 9-4. ...in the woeful AAC. If that isn't proof he can't cut it, nothing is...

Oh and of some of those players...khaseem greene starting for the bears, tim wright starting for bucs, logan ryan, steve beauharnis and duron harmon both near starters for patriots, and marcus cooper starter for kansas city. These weren't just practice squad level nfl players... these rookies are tearing it up. Fact is RU had top 5 level talent that year and barely went 9-4. Our 9 wins came against pancakes.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2013 09:18 AM by rutgers4life.)
11-02-2013 09:17 AM
General Mike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
If they lose today, I'm calling for his head.

That said, Rutgers biggest issue since Schiano got here has been terrible to middling QB play. Mike Teel and Ryan Hart as seniors had some good games, but they also had some really bad games, especially Teel in 2008.

Going forward, I don't want a defensive minded guy, or a ball control offense guy. I want a guy who wants to run the score up on other teams. I'm not sure I would want Petrino because of some of the things not football related, but from a football standpoint he'd be a home run hire.

If you want to talk about assistants, I'd go after Chad Morris.
11-02-2013 12:11 PM
AntiG Offline
1st String

if only we could have had last year's squad + Mike McMahon + a legit coach. BCS...
11-02-2013 09:48 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
(11-02-2013 09:48 PM)AntiG Wrote:  if only we could have had last year's squad + Mike McMahon + a legit coach. BCS...

Actually I'd take this year's offense minus Nova and plus a healthy Paul James + Mike McMahon + last year's defense + a legit coach. That would be a BCS contender.
11-03-2013 08:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.