Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Expansion/survival for the Atlantic Sun?
MemTGRS Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
I have not really read about expansion choices for the Atlantic Sun. Unfortunately, after the announced departures of ETSU and Mercer, they appear to be the most vulnerable conference in the South and will be down to eight following.

I suppose that they will need to invite more from Division II as they successfully did with Kennesaw State and North Florida (2005) and FGCU and USC-Upstate in 2009.

Other than Columbus State and North Alabama, I have not really heard of any schools with hopes to move up. North Alabama would need a home for their football program. I assume that the A-Sun could form another alliance with the Big South to take UNA's gridiron as they will be doing for Kennesaw who'll remain A-Sun for non-football.

The Peach Belt is at 14 members, so they'll be able to absorb whatever losses to the A-Sun which might occur.

I think that Northern Kentucky (Covington, KY across the river from Cincy) was a great expansion choice recently. Perhaps Bellarmine in Louisville would be a good choice to cement NKU as well as develop a rivalry. I feel for the A-Sun, WAC, and Summit during these times for sure.
10-28-2013 05:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: Expansion/survival for the Atlantic Sun?
Don't be surprised if Georgia Regents (formed from the merger of Augusta State and Georgia Health Sciences U) goes to the A-Sun
10-28-2013 05:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-28-2013 05:45 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Don't be surprised if Georgia Regents (formed from the merger of Augusta State and Georgia Health Sciences U) goes to the A-Sun

I thought that I had encyclopedic knowledge of Division I schools, but Georgia Regents completely stumped me. I had never heard of it until now. What a terrible name choice (and judging by their Wikipedia page, it looks like a lot of people agree with me). It's a name that only a university regent could love.
10-28-2013 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-28-2013 06:07 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(10-28-2013 05:45 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Don't be surprised if Georgia Regents (formed from the merger of Augusta State and Georgia Health Sciences U) goes to the A-Sun

I thought that I had encyclopedic knowledge of Division I schools, but Georgia Regents completely stumped me. I had never heard of it until now. What a terrible name choice (and judging by their Wikipedia page, it looks like a lot of people agree with me). It's a name that only a university regent could love.

They aren't DI yet. Augusta State/Georgia Regents plays DI golf, and they are studying a DI proposal. I think they are next to move up.

And yes, unwieldy name.
10-28-2013 06:44 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Wait for the Summit to get WhACked. The Atlantic Sun can make an offer to IUPUI, maybe IPFW ad well. The Big South appears to be respecting what the Atlantic Sun needs to survive, so there's no rush to load up on Division II schools.

While they wouldn't be as attractive, even the Dakota schools could be A-Sun targets should the WAC pass. There's also NJIT.

There are a lot of good fits waiting in Division II in Florida and Georgia. North Alabama can be an option if they can place football in the Big South (UNA isn't that far from Lipscomb in Nashville).
10-28-2013 07:14 PM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

(10-28-2013 07:14 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Wait for the Summit to get WhACked. The Atlantic Sun can make an offer to IUPUI, maybe IPFW ad well. The Big South appears to be respecting what the Atlantic Sun needs to survive, so there's no rush to load up on Division II schools.

While they wouldn't be as attractive, even the Dakota schools could be A-Sun targets should the WAC pass. There's also NJIT.

There are a lot of good fits waiting in Division II in Florida and Georgia. North Alabama can be an option if they can place football in the Big South (UNA isn't that far from Lipscomb in Nashville).
That is interesting. I would have thought that Northern Kentucky would be a flight risk to the Summit? Instead your noting how the A-Sun might be able to raid in reverse. I'm still perplexed that UMKC left the Summit for the WAC and this was after Denver had left the WAC for the Summit. A lot of travel for both UMKC and especially Chicago State (still ??? why CHI State left the Summit for that matter).

In addition to Georgia Regents, I've wondered if Clayton State (south suburb of Atlanta) might be a choice if Kennesaw (north suburb of ATL) ever left. As you noted, the Big South apparently respects the A-Sun's vulnerabilty as they could have easily required Kennesaw to join for all sports.

Union University in Jackson, TN (non-football) has quality athletics but just in year #2 in their transition from NAIA to Divsion II (Gulf South Conference).

The Big South will be at 11 after VMI returns to the SoCon next year. I think that UNC Pembroke is kind of stuck in Division II as an independent in football. Since the Big South certainly could use two or three more football members, UNCP might be ideal to bridge the sum back to 12 for non-football.
10-28-2013 07:35 PM
Advertisement

MemTGRS Offline
All American

Frank, I'm not sure if the lawsuit remains ongoing but Regent University here in VA Beach filed a civil action over that proposed name of Georgia Regents. Regent was founded by Pat Robertson, believe it or not.

RU has noticeably grown a lot since I moved here but they still do not sponsor any sports.
10-28-2013 07:39 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-28-2013 07:39 PM)MemTGRS Wrote:  

Frank, I'm not sure if the lawsuit remains ongoing but Regent University here in VA Beach filed a civil action over that proposed name of Georgia Regents. Regent was founded by Pat Robertson, believe it or not.

RU has noticeably grown a lot since I moved here but they still do not sponsor any sports.

It was settled
10-28-2013 07:43 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I really wish Augusta State had become simply the University of Augusta. I think the University System of Georgia backpedaled a little big by making the official name "Georgia Regents University Augusta" - or it is to set up Augusta as the "flagship" of a future GRU system.
10-28-2013 07:57 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(10-28-2013 07:35 PM)MemTGRS Wrote:  
(10-28-2013 07:14 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Wait for the Summit to get WhACked. The Atlantic Sun can make an offer to IUPUI, maybe IPFW ad well. The Big South appears to be respecting what the Atlantic Sun needs to survive, so there's no rush to load up on Division II schools.

That is interesting. I would have thought that Northern Kentucky would be a flight risk to the Summit? Instead your noting how the A-Sun might be able to raid in reverse. I'm still perplexed that UMKC left the Summit for the WAC and this was after Denver had left the WAC for the Summit. A lot of travel for both UMKC and especially Chicago State (still ??? why CHI State left the Summit for that matter).

In addition to Georgia Regents, I've wondered if Clayton State (south suburb of Atlanta) might be a choice if Kennesaw (north suburb of ATL) ever left. As you noted, the Big South apparently respects the A-Sun's vulnerabilty as they could have easily required Kennesaw to join for all sports.

Union University in Jackson, TN (non-football) has quality athletics but just in year #2 in their transition from NAIA to Divsion II (Gulf South Conference).

The Big South will be at 11 after VMI returns to the SoCon next year. I think that UNC Pembroke is kind of stuck in Division II as an independent in football. Since the Big South certainly could use two or three more football members, UNCP might be ideal to bridge the sum back to 12 for non-football.

I've done a lot of business in Pembroke over the years and I have heard nothing but good things about the school. Their grads are appreciative of the place and overall, I think that it has done a great job of educating the masses of NC (what all of the NC schools SHOULD be doing).

I do think that they are stuck in D2, however. They don't have the resources or fan base to move up. That area does produce some good talent, btw... and also some good coaches: Ruffin McNeil, Kelvin Sampson and Kevin Wilson come to mind.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2013 08:10 PM by Ned Low.)
10-28-2013 08:08 PM
FargoBison Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NDSU and MN
(10-28-2013 07:35 PM)MemTGRS Wrote:  

Chicago State left the Summit because if they didn't leave they were going to be kicked out of league. Yeah I have no idea why UMKC did what they did.
10-28-2013 10:20 PM
Advertisement

MemTGRS Offline
All American

(10-28-2013 10:20 PM)FargoBison Wrote:  Chicago State left the Summit because if they didn't leave they were going to be kicked out of league. Yeah I have no idea why UMKC did what they did.
I didn't know that Chicago State was nearing expulsion. I guess departing on your own saves face.

On UMKC, it is the only move that completely baffles me of all the conference changes. The Summit is a fine fit geographically for them. But instead they left for a league (WAC) that was almost on life support that will be the most spread out --- Seattle to Bakersfield to Edinburgh, TX (UT-Pan Am ... near the Rio Grande!) to Chicago ... and that is half the league's eight (after Idaho departs next year). Think of the money spent on sending soccer and volleyball for all that.
10-29-2013 08:14 AM
arkstfan Online
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Best I can figure out with UMKC is that they know they are going to come after the Chiefs, Royals, KU, MU, Sporting KC when it comes to sports love and coverage. They know that few people in the market can distinguish the Summit from the Horizon for the A-Sun and made the decision to go to the WAC based on branding because there is awareness of the WAC brand in KC despite the fact few would likely accurately identify any members since Boise left. With the WAC being willing to move the conference tournament to KC the situation became even better for KC. The local region has been pretty good about ponying up deals for such events and UMKC probably thinks it will open some doors for them in local sponsorship dollars.
10-29-2013 08:51 AM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

(10-29-2013 08:51 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Best I can figure out with UMKC is that they know they are going to come after the Chiefs, Royals, KU, MU, Sporting KC when it comes to sports love and coverage. They know that few people in the market can distinguish the Summit from the Horizon for the A-Sun and made the decision to go to the WAC based on branding because there is awareness of the WAC brand in KC despite the fact few would likely accurately identify any members since Boise left. With the WAC being willing to move the conference tournament to KC the situation became even better for KC. The local region has been pretty good about ponying up deals for such events and UMKC probably thinks it will open some doors for them in local sponsorship dollars.

Now that, I did not know. Thank you. I think the above now in bold explains it all.

20 years or so ago, UMKC had a pretty decent program under Lee Hunt (former coach at Ole Miss). Hunt recruited the Memphis area heavily and grabbed some really decent players including Tony Dumas and Dareck Rawlins of Millington. Dumas played in the NBA. Ronnie Schmitz of Ridgeway was a great shooter/scorer.
10-29-2013 10:08 AM
CPslograd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fresno State
(10-29-2013 08:51 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Best I can figure out with UMKC is that they know they are going to come after the Chiefs, Royals, KU, MU, Sporting KC when it comes to sports love and coverage. They know that few people in the market can distinguish the Summit from the Horizon for the A-Sun and made the decision to go to the WAC based on branding because there is awareness of the WAC brand in KC despite the fact few would likely accurately identify any members since Boise left. With the WAC being willing to move the conference tournament to KC the situation became even better for KC. The local region has been pretty good about ponying up deals for such events and UMKC probably thinks it will open some doors for them in local sponsorship dollars.

That's as good a theory as I've heard about why UMKC made the move. The only other thing I can think of is that UMKC must have been dissatisfied with the Summit somehow. It could have been personal, it might have been the tourney being in Sioux Falls, or maybe something else, but it seems like there must have been something.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2013 10:48 AM by CPslograd.)
10-29-2013 10:47 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(10-28-2013 05:30 PM)MemTGRS Wrote:  I have not really read about expansion choices for the Atlantic Sun. Unfortunately, after the announced departures of ETSU and Mercer, they appear to be the most vulnerable conference in the South and will be down to eight following.

I suppose that they will need to invite more from Division II as they successfully did with Kennesaw State and North Florida (2005) and FGCU and USC-Upstate in 2009.

Other than Columbus State and North Alabama, I have not really heard of any schools with hopes to move up. North Alabama would need a home for their football program. I assume that the A-Sun could form another alliance with the Big South to take UNA's gridiron as they will be doing for Kennesaw who'll remain A-Sun for non-football.

The Peach Belt is at 14 members, so they'll be able to absorb whatever losses to the A-Sun which might occur.

I think that Northern Kentucky (Covington, KY across the river from Cincy) was a great expansion choice recently. Perhaps Bellarmine in Louisville would be a good choice to cement NKU as well as develop a rivalry. I feel for the A-Sun, WAC, and Summit during these times for sure.

DII schools believed to have interest:

Florida Tech
Nova Southeastern
Columbus St
W Georgia
Clayton St
Lincoln Memorial
N Alabama
Bellarmine
Wingate
UNCPembroke

N Georgia and GeorgiaRegents are possible but just conjecture.

The problem lies in that DII schools won't move up into a conference that could lose its autobid before the four transition years are up. (True also for the Summit). NKU is a terrific choice for the Horizon, rather than IUPUI or IPFW.
10-29-2013 10:49 AM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(10-29-2013 10:47 AM)CPslograd Wrote:  

That's as good a theory as I've heard about why UMKC made the move. The only other thing I can think of is that UMKC must have been dissatisfied with the Summit somehow. It could have been personal, it might have been the tourney being in Sioux Falls, or maybe something else, but it seems like there must have been something.

With the Dakota schools and Omaha, their league was mistaken for DII. (Omaha used to be in the MIAA and the Dakota schools played then). UMKC might drop sports if the move does't work.
10-29-2013 10:54 AM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

(10-29-2013 10:49 AM)NoDak Wrote:  
(10-28-2013 05:30 PM)MemTGRS Wrote:  I have not really read about expansion choices for the Atlantic Sun. Unfortunately, after the announced departures of ETSU and Mercer, they appear to be the most vulnerable conference in the South and will be down to eight following.

Florida Tech
Nova Southeastern
Columbus St
W Georgia
Clayton St
Lincoln Memorial
N Alabama
Bellarmine
Wingate
UNCPembroke

The problem lies in that DII schools won't move up into a conference that could lose its autobid before the four transition years are up. (True also for the Summit). NKU is a terrific choice for the Horizon, rather than IUPUI or IPFW.

Thank you for that list. I'm not familiar with Wingate, but all of the others (I think) are within the A-Sun's footprint. Since UNC Pembroke has football and is a great geographic fit for the Big South (who needs football members), they seem a natural for that conference to pick them up as a full member.

As noted above, North Alabama would be a good Big South football/A-Sun non-football pick.

Interesting that Valdosta State is omitted. I think they've won a recent Division II football national title (or more?).

I agree with the above also that Northern Kentucky would be a good target for the Horizon. For the purpose of scheduling partners in non-revenue sports, I don't think that an odd number of schools is ever a good long term idea. Plus somebody always has to sit out. Other than football, I think it is cumbersome. NKU would be a perfect scheduling partner for Wright State (in Dayton) and bring the Horizon back to ten. The rest are naturals partners, too .... Oakland/Detroit, Youngstown/Cleveland State, IUPUI/IUPUFW, Milwaukee/Green Bay.
10-29-2013 11:54 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(10-29-2013 11:54 AM)MemTGRS Wrote:  
(10-29-2013 10:49 AM)NoDak Wrote:  

Florida Tech
Nova Southeastern
Columbus St
W Georgia
Clayton St
Lincoln Memorial
N Alabama
Bellarmine
Wingate
UNCPembroke

Thank you for that list. I'm not familiar with Wingate, but all of the others (I think) are within the A-Sun's footprint. Since UNC Pembroke has football and is a great geographic fit for the Big South (who needs football members), they seem a natural for that conference to pick them up as a full member.

As noted above, North Alabama would be a good Big South football/A-Sun non-football pick.

Interesting that Valdosta State is omitted. I think they've won a recent Division II football national title (or more?).

I agree with the above also that Northern Kentucky would be a good target for the Horizon. For the purpose of scheduling partners in non-revenue sports, I don't think that an odd number of schools is ever a good long term idea. Plus somebody always has to sit out. Other than football, I think it is cumbersome. NKU would be a perfect scheduling partner for Wright State (in Dayton) and bring the Horizon back to ten. The rest are naturals partners, too .... Oakland/Detroit, Youngstown/Cleveland State, IUPUI/IUPUFW, Milwaukee/Green Bay.

Valdosta St has had a couple of articles over the last years on why it strongly rejects DI for now. Rural schools have decent support for DII, and going DI would cost much more, especially for football, than they would gain. West Florida is starting football so it can't tackle DI for some time.

Wingate and Lincoln Memorial would probably prefer the Big South directly. Trevecca Narazene might also be an option.
10-29-2013 01:34 PM
Chuck A Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UIC Flames
(10-29-2013 11:54 AM)MemTGRS Wrote:  I agree with the above also that Northern Kentucky would be a good target for the Horizon. For the purpose of scheduling partners in non-revenue sports, I don't think that an odd number of schools is ever a good long term idea. Plus somebody always has to sit out. Other than football, I think it is cumbersome. NKU would be a perfect scheduling partner for Wright State (in Dayton) and bring the Horizon back to ten. The rest are naturals partners, too .... Oakland/Detroit, Youngstown/Cleveland State, IUPUI/IUPUFW, Milwaukee/Green Bay.

Most of us in the Horizon League think NKU would be a great fit. They are just an hour from Wright State and would indeed be their traveling partner. They have spent and are spending money on their athletics. They have great facilities, including their basketball stadium, which would put it ahead of most HL arenas. It's a no brainer for the HL. I think they would accept an invite from the Horizon before the OVC, which burned them before.

And by the way, IUPUI/IPFW are not in the Horizon. That pairing is UIC/Valparaiso.
10-30-2013 08:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.