Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tressel to Miami??
Bookmark and Share
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
Tressel to Miami??
Cleveland sportscaster Nick Camino said today that he has a source saying that Miami may be talking to Tressel about the HC vacancy. Sounds like a longshot to me plus there are still possible sanctions if you hire Tressel before his 5 years probationary period (or whatever the NCAA calls it) is up.
10-26-2013 04:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
RE: Tressel to Miami??
I think its a show cause period. During the show-cause period, any penalties applied to a coach follows him to any new school, unless they can convince the NCAA (aka "show cause") why they should not be subject to the penalty.
10-26-2013 04:32 PM
Rocket4Life Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Toledo
I don't like him, but it would be huge for Miami. It would bring a TON of attention to them, and probably add some 0$U fans/money.
10-26-2013 06:37 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
It would a sad commentary on what Miami has come to to hire a proven phony who was canned for finally getting caught for his corruption. There was a time when a guy like that would not even remotely be considered in Oxford. I still don't believe it will happen, but I don't know what the character is of the new AD. No doubt football would be better at Miami, but is it worth losing your integrity? (And I know there are a whole lot of people who would answer "yes," that having a winning football program is worth every sacrifice, e.g. the OSU fan base. And I'm sure there are those to some scale in every fan base and university. Just count me as not among them.)
10-26-2013 07:00 PM
Eagle66 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
On his radio show Friday, former OSU safety Dustin Fox said he talked to Tressel and he denied the rumors.
10-26-2013 07:03 PM
chuckwalker Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Axeme- What was Rob Senderoff's show cause penalty?

I'm not sure I would want Tressel, but I am sure Senderoff was fired from Indiana for something
10-26-2013 07:06 PM
Advertisement

Eagle66 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Wasn't Sendehoff hired at Kent before they levied the Show Cause?
10-26-2013 07:19 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

Senderoff was limited in recruiting contacts for the first year or so. His violation was making excessive contacts, which, btw, are legal now.

But what does Senderoff have to do with Tressel?
10-26-2013 07:29 PM
chuckwalker Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I thought you said something like it is a sad commentary that Miami would consider Tressel and I assume the reason you think that is because of his penalties with the NCAA. My guess is you aren't objecting to his coaching abilities.

We don't even know that Miami is considering Tressel- the only person reporting it is Nick Camino from WTAM (who has nothing to do with Miami)

But I thought that Kent's current head coach got a show cause penalty from the NCAA. I am sure Senderoff is a fine person (I actually used to work with somebody who was his neighbor in Hudson and he liked them)- but what is the commentary on Kent when their head coach had a show cause. I thought I remember that the old AD Kennedy hired Senderoff as an assistant after he knew of the violatons because of how much he liked Senderoff. Am I misremembering?
10-26-2013 09:13 PM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
I sincerely doubt that there is anything to the rumor.
10-26-2013 10:49 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
Running crooked programs at Ohio State and Youngstown State do not equate to and Assistant making some extra texts and phone calls at the behest of his Head Coach. The NCAA has since realized how petty it was and contacts are now legal, can't say the same for paying players and looking the other way when others are paying them.
10-27-2013 04:55 AM
Advertisement

Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
(10-26-2013 09:13 PM)chuckwalker Wrote:  But I thought that Kent's current head coach got a show cause penalty from the NCAA..... I thought I remember that the old AD Kennedy hired Senderoff as an assistant after he knew of the violatons because of how much he liked Senderoff. Am I misremembering?

Senderoff was an assistant at Kent before going to Indiana. After splitting with Indiana, he was rehired at Kent as an assistant, and his show cause penalty didn't get announced until after he was already back at Kent. I think he was still under the show cause when Geno left Kent, and he was promoted to head coach.

I'd agree with Polish Hammer, extra phone calls are a big difference from lying to the NCAA, and the NCAA changed the rules later and the wouldn't be illegal now.
10-27-2013 07:05 AM
Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

(10-26-2013 09:13 PM)chuckwalker Wrote:  But I thought that Kent's current head coach got a show cause penalty from the NCAA..... I thought I remember that the old AD Kennedy hired Senderoff as an assistant after he knew of the violatons because of how much he liked Senderoff. Am I misremembering?

Senderoff was an assistant at Kent before going to Indiana. After splitting with Indiana, he was rehired at Kent as an assistant, and his show cause penalty didn't get announced until after he was already back at Kent. I think he was still under the show cause when Geno left Kent, and he was promoted to head coach.

I'd agree with Polish Hammer, extra phone calls are a big difference from lying to the NCAA, and the NCAA changed the rules later and the wouldn't be illegal now.
10-27-2013 07:06 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

(10-26-2013 09:13 PM)chuckwalker Wrote:  I thought you said something like it is a sad commentary that Miami would consider Tressel and I assume the reason you think that is because of his penalties with the NCAA. My guess is you aren't objecting to his coaching abilities.

We don't even know that Miami is considering Tressel- the only person reporting it is Nick Camino from WTAM (who has nothing to do with Miami)

But I thought that Kent's current head coach got a show cause penalty from the NCAA. I am sure Senderoff is a fine person (I actually used to work with somebody who was his neighbor in Hudson and he liked them)- but what is the commentary on Kent when their head coach had a show cause. I thought I remember that the old AD Kennedy hired Senderoff as an assistant after he knew of the violatons because of how much he liked Senderoff. Am I misremembering?

You see to be implying that there is some inconsistency in my views on Tressel and Senderoff. I assure you there is not. I had misgivings about Senderoff's hiring because of his working for Kelvin Sampson, which were tempered by the fact of his years of tenure at KSU, the relative minor nature of his violation, and the endorsement of Laing Kennedy who is one of the most upstanding, straightforward, decent men I have met in my life.

If Miami were rumored to be sending out feelers to a former Miami assistant who had a relatively (compared to Tressel) minor NCAA violation, I wouldn't think anything about it, figuring they know more about the guy than the NCAA.

All this said, I agree with others that nothing will probably come of this even if someone at Miami made some inquiries. The stronger rumors up north (and more credible ones) are that he will be Akron's next president. Seems like a good fit.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2013 07:33 AM by axeme.)
10-27-2013 07:32 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Ron Senderoff's reputation was spotless before Indiana. Rob Senderoff actually cooperated with the NCAA; our then AD went to the NCAA hearing to testify on his behalf.

Rob was a man about the situation. He never lied, cooperated with the process and moved on. And, as others have pointed out, his "violations" wouldn't even have been violations today.

Don't take our word for it. Here's the view on how Sendy handled the situation from an Indiana beat writer:

http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/06/17/...is-future/
10-27-2013 07:45 AM
chuckwalker Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I agree that Senderoff's violations were minor and I remember Kennedy's support for him. But I don't agree with your comment on it is allowed now- so that makes it ok- it wasn't allowed then.

My guess is it will be ok for players to sell their gold pants in 10 years for $2K like Prior did. But it wasn't ok by the NCAA then.

I also find it hilarious that we think it is ok for Tressel to be President of the University of Akron, but not coach for Miami University. I mean if he is a crooked liar- then I don't think he should be President of the University. I think the President of the University needs to have better ethics than the football coach (whose main responsibility is to WIN)
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2013 09:48 AM by chuckwalker.)
10-27-2013 09:47 AM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
Still a reach, those violations were very borderline and petty, and have since been ok. Selling things and making money aren't. And as for the Akron thing, it seems it went right over your head. Youre getting all worked up for nothing as there is no way he's taking that job.
10-27-2013 10:02 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

(10-27-2013 09:47 AM)chuckwalker Wrote:  I agree that Senderoff's violations were minor and I remember Kennedy's support for him. But I don't agree with your comment on it is allowed now- so that makes it ok- it wasn't allowed then.

My guess is it will be ok for players to sell their gold pants in 10 years for $2K like Prior did. But it wasn't ok by the NCAA then.

I also find it hilarious that we think it is ok for Tressel to be President of the University of Akron, but not coach for Miami University. I mean if he is a crooked liar- then I don't think he should be President of the University. I think the President of the University needs to have better ethics than the football coach (whose main responsibility is to WIN)

I pretty much agree, although I never said that it was ok because it is allowed now. I also never said I thought it was "ok" for a sleeze bag to be president of anything. But he seems to fit at Akron and they seem to be thrilled to have him. Hence, he's a good fit there.
10-27-2013 10:12 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
This guy on Buckeye Sports is saying that Tressel to Miami is "a done deal," judging by his source (a friend of a guy who was right about us hiring Treadwell, sounds reliable to me...)

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=315...215783&p=1

According to a poster on Miami Hawk Talk, the MU jet went to Akron for a dinner two days after Treadwell was fired (there were no Miami athletic events there that night). The next day Tressel tweeted, "No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again today."
~Buddha

http://www.miamihawktalk.com/discussion/...741#847741
10-28-2013 11:36 PM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
...very interesting, L & H.
10-29-2013 08:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.