Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Irony?
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
The term "irony' is overused, so tell me if this counts:
This morning I went to the bank to get some cash for the weekend. The drive-up ATM had a bunch of cars in line, and the walk-up ATM had two people in line. So I parked, went into the bank and got cash at the counter. As I was leaving, I saw that the line at the walk-up ATM had not moved, and cars were still stacked up for the drive-up ATM.
10-25-2013 09:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JOwl Offline
sum guy

I Root For: Rice

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: OT: Irony?
Is the irony that our protagonist didn't just use a different bank? 03-wink
10-25-2013 09:31 AM
RiceDoc Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

The Parliament AwardsFootball GeniusNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
The irony was that the folks in line were all on the way to 25 hour fitness, where they have time to cram more workout into every day...
10-25-2013 10:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
Is it ironic? I mean no one turned 98, won the lottery, then died the next dat...perhaps I did not read close enough but I didn't see a reference to a black fly in any Chardonnay...nor, any death row pardon being received two minutes too late...
10-25-2013 10:25 AM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

I Root For: Rice Owls

Donators
It's ironic that systems designed to save you time don't save any time. But it doesn't seem like a great example as stated...<grin>
10-25-2013 10:30 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
The irony I see (if it is indeed irony) is that the people trying to save time by using the "convenient" outlets instead of doing the "work" of getting out of their car are the ones who ended up spending more time.

I always go into the bank. Usually saves time and gas.
10-25-2013 10:33 AM
Advertisement

Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I usually go to Pilgrim's Cleaners because I'm not good at irony.
10-25-2013 10:37 AM
JSA Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Once, I cashed in my piggy bank at a CoinStar machine. When I took my receipt to the cashier, she was out of bills so she paid me in quarters.
10-25-2013 10:41 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
George, I think your story pretty well captures what I was taught to think of as irony back when I was in school. Judging from what gets called irony on here lots of times, the definition seems to have shifted quite a bit in the intervening years. I think that was your intended point, and I agree.
10-25-2013 11:06 AM
v-eight Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: RICE

New Orleans Bowl
I would argue that ATMs are not intended to save the account holder time, but are actually intended to save the bank money. The bank employs less tellers b/c the ATM services the customer and in some cases charges the customer for the service. From that perspective I would not consider the situation ironic. Still a fun read though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
10-25-2013 11:27 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(10-25-2013 11:27 AM)v-eight Wrote:  I would argue that ATMs are not intended to save the account holder time, but are actually intended to save the bank money. The bank employs less tellers b/c the ATM services the customer and in some cases charges the customer for the service. From that perspective I would not consider the situation ironic. Still a fun read though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

yeah, but the users are there to save the trouble of getting out of their car and walking in, not to help the bank save money.

To me the irony would be somebody in a SmartCar waiting in line for 20 minutes to use the drive-thru ATM.
10-25-2013 11:50 AM
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

This conversation would only ever happen on a Rice sports message board...
10-25-2013 11:50 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(10-25-2013 11:50 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  This conversation would only ever happen on a Rice sports message board...

...like so many of our conversations here.
10-25-2013 11:54 AM
Bay Area Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-25-2013 10:30 AM)grol Wrote:  It's ironic that systems designed to save you time don't save any time. But it doesn't seem like a great example as stated...<grin>

Are ATMs primarily intended to save time, as opposed to going to a teller? Given banks traditionally keep limited hours, I always thought ATMs were about conducting a basic transaction at any time, not necessarily the speed of the transaction.

My impression is the historical appeal of ATMs was their offer of greater time flexibility and increased locations for basic banking. I rarely ever encounter long lines for bank tellers, just lousy opening hours. Post office lines are another matter....
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2013 12:19 PM by Bay Area Owl.)
10-25-2013 12:18 PM
exowlswimmer Offline
2nd String

(10-25-2013 11:50 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  This conversation would only ever happen on a Rice sports message board...

Ironic, but the best record of a Rice "football" team this year is not the women's soccer team, our Owl varsity team, but instead our club soccer team who plays Lamar U on Saturday at 4 p.m. RiceLad15, not wanting to call you out but how about an update on our most successful "football" team this year?
10-25-2013 12:19 PM
Hou_Hater Offline
Banned

(10-25-2013 09:21 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  The term "irony' is overused, so tell me if this counts:
This morning I went to the bank to get some cash for the weekend. The drive-up ATM had a bunch of cars in line, and the walk-up ATM had two people in line. So I parked, went into the bank and got cash at the counter. As I was leaving, I saw that the line at the walk-up ATM had not moved, and cars were still stacked up for the drive-up ATM.

04-cheers trying to be more positive! nice write-up!
10-25-2013 12:48 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(10-25-2013 11:06 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  George, I think your story pretty well captures what I was taught to think of as irony back when I was in school. Judging from what gets called irony on here lots of times, the definition seems to have shifted quite a bit in the intervening years. I think that was your intended point, and I agree.

I'm partial to Houston Owl's definition.

But, isn't the purpose of ATMs (1) to reduce manpower (salary) requirements at banks, and (2) to provide value-added service in terms of off-site/off-hours access to cash? My guess would be in that order.
10-25-2013 12:52 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(10-25-2013 12:48 PM)Hou_Hater Wrote:  04-cheers trying to be more positive! nice write-up!

Well, if you go back and fix the other piles of **** you've posted on here, then I promise to go back and delete my rating...
10-25-2013 12:53 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-25-2013 12:53 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(10-25-2013 12:48 PM)Hou_Hater Wrote:  04-cheers trying to be more positive! nice write-up!

Well, if you go back and fix the other piles of **** you've posted on here, then I promise to go back and delete my rating...

They've already been "fixed".

You don't have to always be "positive" Hater, you just have to (speaking in broad generalities):

a) not constantly irritate virtually everyone on the site and
b) not attack other posters

Try bringing some value to a conversation.

It should be pretty clear that differing opinions are welcomed... as you have noted about me... and numerous posters have what is sometimes even contentions disagreements... but they are not especially personal in nature nor are they virtually the ONLY thing those posters bring to the forum.

Your penchant for constantly bringing private admonishments from the mods on here into your posts (like this one) is exactly the sort of immature snarkiness that causes you trouble. No, this post itself isn't going to get you banned, but it certainly causes me, and I suspect others, to not want to give your borderline comments the benefit of the doubt that we might otherwise.

I had teenagers, and I see this as the "e"-quivalent of them sarcastically rolling their eyes when told to play by the rules.
10-25-2013 01:10 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(10-25-2013 01:10 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  You don't have to always be "positive" Hater, you just have to (speaking in broad generalities):

a) not constantly irritate virtually everyone on the site and
b) not attack other posters

Try bringing some value to a conversation.

Exactly. I think HH has made some decent observations, contributions, but the gratuitous and predictable personal attacks get annoying.
10-25-2013 01:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.