Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is with the Eastern Echo?
Bookmark and Share
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
What is with the Eastern Echo?
Dear Friends,
Just checked the Eastern Echo to see if there was more information about Mr. Reed. To my amazement and disgust some writer has written an article about the U-M game.
I don't know how the rest of you feel, but to me, they(U-M) get coverage from everywhere, and yet the Echo feels they have to give their football team coverage too? We really have sunk to the depths of failure when our own school newspaper starts to cover U-M.
10-20-2013 08:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: What is with the Eastern Echo?
(10-20-2013 08:00 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
Just checked the Eastern Echo to see if there was more information about Mr. Reed. To my amazement and disgust some writer has written an article about the U-M game.
I don't know how the rest of you feel, but to me, they(U-M) get coverage from everywhere, and yet the Echo feels they have to give their football team coverage too? We really have sunk to the depths of failure when our own school newspaper starts to cover U-M.

I didn't look to see if there was or wasn't UofM coverage but there was coverage of Demarius' murder and a lot of nice photo tributes from yesterday's game.

http://www.easternecho.com/gallery/emu-p...university
10-20-2013 08:10 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Agree. I also hate driving in Ypsilanti and seeing a KFC flying a U-M flag and displaying a "Good luck U-M football" message! These things drive me nuts! The entire culture of EMU/Ypsilanti has to completely change!!!
10-21-2013 12:43 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I looked briefly at the Echo and they had articles on EMU, UofM, Red Wings proposed arena, etc.

They covered a lot of sports, college and pro, within southeast MI.
10-21-2013 12:58 PM
Advertisement

realistEagle Offline
Special Teams

I have never seen a school newspaper that is so anti your school than the Echo, this year especially they have been getting on my nerves.
10-21-2013 01:20 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Friends,
I know times change and attitudes change, but when I was in school at Eastern, the Echo never published stories about U-M's football team. The stories, interviews, articles, dealt with what was going on in campus life. Do you mean to tell me there are not enough stories about campus life, or the city of Ypsilanti, that we have to write about U-M football? I view that as a put down of our own program, regardless of how poor it has been.
10-21-2013 01:28 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(10-21-2013 01:28 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
I know times change and attitudes change, but when I was in school at Eastern, the Echo never published stories about U-M's football team. The stories, interviews, articles, dealt with what was going on in campus life. Do you mean to tell me there are not enough stories about campus life, or the city of Ypsilanti, that we have to write about U-M football? I view that as a put down of our own program, regardless of how poor it has been.
Agree! And the day that the U-M paper starts writing about EMU sports...well, then I would be okay with an occasional U-M article. 04-cheers
10-21-2013 01:38 PM
Advertisement

Huron 61 Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-21-2013 01:38 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(10-21-2013 01:28 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
Agree! And the day that the U-M paper starts writing about EMU sports...well, then I would be okay with an occasional U-M article. 04-cheers

As a past Echo Sports Editor, I would never allow such tripe on my pages
10-21-2013 02:05 PM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
There should never, ever be a story about a U-M game in the Echo. Disgraceful.
10-21-2013 03:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

(10-21-2013 03:20 PM)HuronDave Wrote:  There should never, ever be a story about a U-M game in the Echo. Disgraceful.

Mlive surly very seldom07-coffee3 does a story about the good things at EMU.
10-21-2013 05:02 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-21-2013 12:43 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
Agree. I also hate driving in Ypsilanti and seeing a KFC flying a U-M flag and displaying a "Good luck U-M football" message! These things drive me nuts! The entire culture of EMU/Ypsilanti has to completely change!!!

That would be annoying. Does your AD/President talk to business leaders in Ypsilanti about it? Maybe it can't be changed and it's done for business reasons (more UM fans there than EMU fans or whatever). Our new AD appears to be trying to create a better relationship between the school and the community, which will help a little I think. Ypsilanti needs to show some pride in their own school, not bandwagon off of Ann Arbor's school.
10-24-2013 01:42 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(10-24-2013 01:42 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(10-21-2013 12:43 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

That would be annoying. Does your AD/President talk to business leaders in Ypsilanti about it? Maybe it can't be changed and it's done for business reasons (more UM fans there than EMU fans or whatever). Our new AD appears to be trying to create a better relationship between the school and the community, which will help a little I think. Ypsilanti needs to show some pride in their own school, not bandwagon off of Ann Arbor's school.

In all fairness, Ypsilanti, Ypsilanti Township, and Ann Arbor are all adjacent to each other.

I joke and call them Michigan's version of the 'Twin Cities' (Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti). One side of the street may have a Ypsilanti mailing address; the other side, Ann Arbor.

It isn't like the border between Michigan and Ohio. No one confuses Monroe and Toledo.

I remember when St. Joes hospital moved to its current site in Ypsilanti Township, but with an Ann Arbor mailing address.

Doesn't Washtenaw Co. Community College have an Ann Arbor address? I don't know which township it is in.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2013 02:02 PM by emu steve.)
10-24-2013 02:01 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Still, they could say "Go EMU" right below "Go U-M".
10-24-2013 02:10 PM
Advertisement

FrankAnderson Offline
All American

(10-24-2013 02:10 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Still, they could say "Go EMU" right below "Go U-M".

The majority do. The closer you get to campus, the more specifically EMU the businesses get. Yet, Steve is right; it's tough to get every business behind EMU athletics with Michigan Stadium less than 10 miles away.
10-24-2013 02:18 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2013 02:10 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Still, they could say "Go EMU" right below "Go U-M".
I agree 1,000 times! It strikes me as being incredibly ungrateful because without EMU, Ypsilanti has nothing. it would basically be...Inkster.
10-24-2013 02:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.