Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Central Michigan Game Thoughts
Bookmark and Share
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
Central Michigan Game Thoughts
I said it in the game thread, and I'll say it to start this off. I'm not sure if it's from the "new fans" or the old fans being idiots, but today was a microcosm of how people are letting the BCS chances ruin this season for them. Yeah, that was a "close" game up until about 7 minutes left, but NIU pretty well dominated the last three quarters and the entire game thread was people pissing and moaning. You're watching the (to date) most successful season in school history, try to at least enjoy some of it.

CMU is bad, but that was the most complete effort of the season next to Purdue. 592 total yards on offense, and only allowed 17 points total (3 after the first quarter). 4 penalties for 35 yards isn't too shabby. Complete effort. Still things to improve on, but as complete of an effort as they've put together so far this year.

Not to pat myself on the back, but after last weeks game I said NIU needed to go back to running more of the offense they were running last year. No team remotely showed the ability of being able to slow NIU down last year when they spread teams out and let Lynch do his thing. From the opening snap today, you saw NIU playing more WRs and spreading out the defense more than they had done all year. With this offensive line, I just don't see MAC teams being able to stop NIU and Lynch when you spread them out. The numbers game is too much for people.

After easily their worst performance of the year last week, you have to hand it to the offensive line. 53 rushes for 437 yards speaks for itself. I thought they struggled to run block a bit when NIU played in "big sets" so there are still things to improve on, but obviously overall they played really well today.

You can't say enough about Lynch. You could see him starting to run a little tougher and more confident last week, so either his shoulder is feeling better or he just stopped caring and is gutting it out. He was playing like a pissed off SOB (especially early on), so I think there was some carry over from his comments after the Akron game. He knew they didn't play well enough last week, and it showed today. It's funny, he ran for the most yards of any QB in history, and while you're watching it you're not surprised. Everytime he takes off you expect something great to happen. He's special.

Cam finished with 14 for 70, but a lot of that was garbage yards. I'm not sure if he's hurt or what, but he has put up back to back subpar efforts. I'm not sure if this is "the other shoe" dropping or if the clock struck 12 for Cinderella, but with how banged up we are in the backfield we need Cam. One thing I am concerned about is he's almost a square peg in a round hole when they're doing what they did today. When you empty out the backfield, Cam isn't half the threat to catch the ball as Akeem was. I really hope Akeem can get back, because games like today with the offense they were running today is days when he is really missed. Draco Smith had his redshirt taken off today and I thought both him and Spenser did a decent job blocking, but yeah they miss Akeem.

The passing game was better than last week, but not great. Everything was short with the exception of a couple shots to Da'Ron and Canada. I think it was the game plan though. After Akron had success really stuffing the middle of the field, they wanted to get the ball quickly outside in the passing game. It wasn't all that different than the 2nd half of the Toledo game. It was nice to see Turner get some serious burn today. He's a Tommy clone out there.

9-15 on third down this week. As I said after the game, last week was a complete aberration. I really doubt you'll see them coming anywhere near a 1-16 effort on 3rd down the rest of the year.

The defense is what it is at this point. The defensive line is solid, the LB core is decent, the safties are great, and the corners are really bad. It's a pretty decent defense against the run, but it's going to struggle against teams with good QBs because of the lousy corner play. You can tell the defensive staff really emphasizes turnovers, because the DBs go for the ball everytime it's in the air (and it's not always a good thing). They've given up 24 or less in the last 4 games. If they can continue to keep the point total around there, I will take it in a heartbeat. It's a flawed defense, but they've been a net positive the last month of the season. When Santa is back, I probably would only play him on passing downs only as they were doing the last two years. Payton has shown to be a bit of an upgrade in the run game.

Our defensive coaches may suck at actually game planning, but they are second to none and making adjustments. Once they see what teams are doing on offense, they adjust. Our 2nd have defense this season has been supreme.

Did I mention Jordan Lynch is awesome?

That was a much better effort from the team today, but they haven't peaked yet. That's a good thing. I get the feeling they're going to blow out EMU and UMASS the next two games, so hopefully they can get some guys healthy going into Ball State and Toledo.

Go Huskies.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2013 07:08 PM by 7.)
10-19-2013 07:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
RE: Central Michigan Game Thoughts
Good summary 7, I think noone would argue we needed to run Lynch more, but noone knew if he was physically able to. You were right about last week his bumps and bruises seem to be getting better and today he was fully unleashed. I will say though the only thing I disagree with from what you said is that people are letting the BCS ruin the season. Talking about NIU and the BCS is how I am having fun with this season. How often do we get to talk about NIU and Fiesta Bowl in the same sentence. I'm going to eat that all up while we can. It is great exposure when the media talks about NIU and the BCS like CBS did today at halftime.
10-19-2013 07:23 PM
wjfoulks Offline
Water Engineer

(10-19-2013 07:01 PM)7 Wrote:  I said it in the game thread, and I'll say it to start this off. I'm not sure if it's from the "new fans" or the old fans being idiots, but today was a microcosm of how people are letting the BCS chances ruin this season for them. Yeah, that was a "close" game up until about 7 minutes left, but NIU pretty well dominated the last three quarters and the entire game thread was people pissing and moaning. You're watching the (to date) most successful season in school history, try to at least enjoy some of it.

CMU is bad, but that was the most complete effort of the season next to Purdue. 592 total yards on offense, and only allowed 17 points total (3 after the first quarter). 4 penalties for 35 yards isn't too shabby. Complete effort. Still things to improve on, but as complete of an effort as they've put together so far this year.

Not to pat myself on the back, but after last weeks game I said NIU needed to go back to running more of the offense they were running last year. No team remotely showed the ability of being able to slow NIU down last year when they spread teams out and let Lynch do his thing. From the opening snap today, you saw NIU playing more WRs and spreading out the defense more than they had done all year. With this offensive line, I just don't see MAC teams being able to stop NIU and Lynch when you spread them out. The numbers game is too much for people.

After easily their worst performance of the year last week, you have to hand it to the offensive line. 53 rushes for 437 yards speaks for itself. I thought they struggled to run block a bit when NIU played in "big sets" so there are still things to improve on, but obviously overall they played really well today.

You can't say enough about Lynch. You could see him starting to run a little tougher and more confident last week, so either his shoulder is feeling better or he just stopped caring and is gutting it out. He was playing like a pissed off SOB (especially early on), so I think there was some carry over from his comments after the Akron game. He knew they didn't play well enough last week, and it showed today. It's funny, he ran for the most yards of any QB in history, and while you're watching it you're not surprised. Everytime he takes off you expect something great to happen. He's special.

Cam finished with 14 for 70, but a lot of that was garbage yards. I'm not sure if he's hurt or what, but he has put up back to back subpar efforts. I'm not sure if this is "the other shoe" dropping or if the clock struck 12 for Cinderella, but with how banged up we are in the backfield we need Cam. One thing I am concerned about is he's almost a square peg in a round hole when they're doing what they did today. When you empty out the backfield, Cam isn't half the threat to catch the ball as Akeem was. I really hope Akeem can get back, because games like today with the offense they were running today is days when he is really missed. Draco Smith had his redshirt taken off today and I thought both him and Spenser did a decent job blocking, but yeah they miss Akeem.

The passing game was better than last week, but not great. Everything was short with the exception of a couple shots to Da'Ron and Canada. I think it was the game plan though. After Akron had success really stuffing the middle of the field, they wanted to get the ball quickly outside in the passing game. It wasn't all that different than the 2nd half of the Toledo game. It was nice to see Turner get some serious burn today. He's a Tommy clone out there.

9-15 on third down this week. As I said after the game, last week was a complete aberration. I really doubt you'll see them coming anywhere near a 1-16 effort on 3rd down the rest of the year.

The defense is what it is at this point. The defensive line is solid, the LB core is decent, the safties are great, and the corners are really bad. It's a pretty decent defense against the run, but it's going to struggle against teams with good QBs because of the lousy corner play. You can tell the defensive staff really emphasizes turnovers, because the DBs go for the ball everytime it's in the air (and it's not always a good thing). They've given up 24 or less in the last 4 games. If they can continue to keep the point total around there, I will take it in a heartbeat. It's a flawed defense, but they've been a net positive the last month of the season. When Santa is back, I probably would only play him on passing downs only as they were doing the last two years. Payton has shown to be a bit of an upgrade in the run game.

Our defensive coaches may suck at actually game planning, but they are second to none and making adjustments. Once they see what teams are doing on offense, they adjust. Our 2nd have defense this season has been supreme.

Did I mention Jordan Lynch is awesome?

That was a much better effort from the team today, but they haven't peaked yet. That's a good thing. I get the feeling they're going to blow out EMU and UMASS the next two games, so hopefully they can get some guys healthy going into Ball State and Toledo.

Go Huskies.

I've been often ticked off this season, not due to BCS as that is out of our control, but rather, because this team has underperformed. The talent difference between NIU and teams such as Idaho, Eastern Illinois, Akron, CMU, Kent is such that these should not be close games going into the 4th quarter. Every team has one or two off-games a season so it would be understandable if it happened once or twice, but every time is very disheartening. Take away the 4th quarter today, if NIU plays the way they have against these inferior opponents against Ball St or Toledo, there is no chance they win. BCS or not, that special season you are referring to must include wins over Ball St and Toledo, or at the very least one of them and a win in the MACC. Thus far, NIU is lucky they have played a team like Akron, instead of a team like BGSU, otherwise that special season would already be gone. Aside from Purdue and Iowa, which it seems NIU was way more prepared for, the last quarter of today's game was the first I've seen of this team actually playing the way they should against an inferior opponent.
10-19-2013 09:17 PM
JB04 Offline
1st String

+1 on being frustrated due to not seeming like they are firing on all cylinders. I feel we have incredible talent but it takes "must have" situations in order for us to shine. I want a game with a little less stress...but oh well, I need to stop complaining. 7-0.

The other thing is that winning every game is VERY hard to do. Any given Saturday (or because of ESPN...Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday) any team can win.
10-19-2013 09:25 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-19-2013 09:25 PM)JB04 Wrote:  +1 on being frustrated due to not seeming like they are firing on all cylinders. I feel we have incredible talent but it takes "must have" situations in order for us to shine. I want a game with a little less stress...but oh well, I need to stop complaining. 7-0.

The other thing is that winning every game is VERY hard to do. Any given Saturday (or because of ESPN...Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday) any team can win.

It's the freaking hard way, the hard way sucks, hate it, too old for the hard way....

Why can't we be the kick your ass right a way team....
10-19-2013 09:28 PM
Premier Club Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(10-19-2013 09:17 PM)wjfoulks Wrote:  Thus far, NIU is lucky they have played a team like Akron, instead of a team like BGSU, otherwise that special season would already be gone.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. You have no way of knowing this.
10-19-2013 09:37 PM
Advertisement

wjfoulks Offline
Water Engineer

(10-19-2013 09:37 PM)Premier Club Wrote:  
(10-19-2013 09:17 PM)wjfoulks Wrote:  Thus far, NIU is lucky they have played a team like Akron, instead of a team like BGSU, otherwise that special season would already be gone.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. You have no way of knowing this.

Technically, you are correct so let play semantics. If NIU played BGSU the same as they played Akron, odds are the game would result in a loss.
10-19-2013 09:43 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
We are good. We beat a good MAC team that was coming off consecutive conference road wins. They have a solid young QB a terrific WR and others. We are good.
10-19-2013 10:00 PM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
i know that Lynch's running is the keystone to our past present and future success, but i just cringe to think when that big hit comes that finally takes him out for an extended period.

...i am loving the season and all the peaks and valleys each individual game offers though
10-19-2013 10:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Djud Offline
Special Teams

Before we draw any huge conclusions about personnel based on the last 2 games, lets take a step back and realize that Akron and CMU have beaten teams like winless Miami, New Hampshire, James Madison. These teams are not even close to Iowa, Purdue, or EIU. We have a perfect record, and we should all be happy, but lets keep the last two games in perspective.
10-19-2013 10:18 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(10-19-2013 10:18 PM)Djud Wrote:  Before we draw any huge conclusions about personnel based on the last 2 games, lets take a step back and realize that Akron and CMU have beaten teams like winless Miami, New Hampshire, James Madison. These teams are not even close to Iowa, Purdue, or EIU. We have a perfect record, and we should all be happy, but lets keep the last two games in perspective.

CMU beat a very good Ohio team , and that was in Athens.
10-19-2013 10:30 PM
Advertisement

badmoonrising13 Online
Hall of Famer

(10-19-2013 10:00 PM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  i know that Lynch's running is the keystone to our past present and future success, but i just cringe to think when that big hit comes that finally takes him out for an extended period.

...i am loving the season and all the peaks and valleys each individual game offers though

JL doesn't receive big hits, he delivers them!
10-19-2013 10:33 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
(10-19-2013 10:30 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(10-19-2013 10:18 PM)Djud Wrote:  Before we draw any huge conclusions about personnel based on the last 2 games, lets take a step back and realize that Akron and CMU have beaten teams like winless Miami, New Hampshire, James Madison. These teams are not even close to Iowa, Purdue, or EIU. We have a perfect record, and we should all be happy, but lets keep the last two games in perspective.

Good point.

Take 7's overall point. What your program has accomplished lately is remarkable. Enjoy it and relish it. I know it's hard, but don't focus on or worry about rankings or style points. It's the W. If your team can go unbeaten, what a season it would be and coming right on the heels of a BCS busting season! What fan base wouldn't love that?

The fans of every other MAC program envy you right now. You're on top of the world and some of you are unhappy/uneasy or complaining? Live the success and cherish it. It can be fleeting.
10-19-2013 11:40 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(10-19-2013 11:40 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  

Good point.

Take 7's overall point. What your program has accomplished lately is remarkable. Enjoy it and relish it. I know it's hard, but don't focus on or worry about rankings or style points. It's the W. If your team can go unbeaten, what a season it would be and coming right on the heels of a BCS busting season! What fan base wouldn't love that?

The fans of every other MAC program envy you right now. You're on top of the world and some of you are unhappy/uneasy or complaining? Live the success and cherish it. It can be fleeting.

But that is what makes this fun, the fact we even need to worry about rankings. That is what Im relishing. NIU does not have national significance that often, and I learned from 2003 that you have to savor these times.
10-19-2013 11:53 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
It's a message board so complaining is a requirement, regardless of how good things are. These guys are setting records in MAC wins and I'm pouting about Lynch only throwing for 155 yards and seeming to be a bit off on his throws still. How often does a QB run for twice as many yards as he throws for? Well, besides Tebow....
10-20-2013 12:09 AM
NIU Adam Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Good point.

Great point but dare I say we are getting spoiled?
10-20-2013 12:49 AM
Advertisement

niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(10-20-2013 12:49 AM)NIU Adam Wrote:  

Good point.

Great point but dare I say we are getting spoiled?

You kidding? Heck yeah we are.
10-20-2013 01:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
As 7 said this was a pretty good effort all around today. Those wishing for a more emphatic blowout need to remember our offense is playing without Akeem, Keith Harris, Sebastiano and Sims and our defense is without Lemon, Santacaterina, Cotton and Evans. I choose to look at the glass half full and say it is good that this team is able to play tough, close games and find a way to grind out a win. The only nit I will pick is that it would be nice to get more consistent pressure on the QB, but overall this was a good performance by our team in its current shorthanded state. Lynch seemed healthier today than he has in awhile and if that continues it's bad news for everyone on our schedule.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013 01:26 AM by NIU1981.)
10-20-2013 01:25 AM
DeadMoney16 Offline
2nd String

About midway through the first half I turned to a friend and said "I'm pretty sure Lynch is in - 'I'm not going to let this team lose mode'." Boy was I ever proven right.

If Lynch is on the field, it's hard to say I don't like our chances in any game we play.
10-20-2013 01:31 AM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
I don't think NIU has underperformed this year, I think it's time to give the coaching staff credit. NIU has been more talented than most of the teams they've faced...but not by nearly as much as people on this board seem to think.

NIU is not Alabama or Oregon out there, 3 deep with absurd weapons at every skill position that can just blow the doors off everybody.

NIU has played enough games to show what they are; pretty talented (but not exactly brimming with first round draft picks), with an okay D (if the opposition has a meh QB), an awesome power run game (though they are banged up at RB), a good bubble screen team, with a QB that can (when healthy) run like hell and is a streaky passer. They are beatable, YET.....they keep chugging and finding ways to win. I'll roll with it and smile.

Really glad to see some strides on the defensive end, and I've said 383,393,029 times, and I'll say it again, this team is tougher than nails. They never panic, and just keep going about their business (even when things are meh or bad for stretches) until they win. This is turning out to be a fun fun fun (though difficult) season.
10-20-2013 02:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.