Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

any idea about this tweet from ken mather
Bookmark and Share
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
any idea about this tweet from ken mather
"Exciting MAC football news coming in about 90 minutes! Momentum for MAC football keeps increasing"
10-11-2013 08:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
RE: any idea about this tweet from ken mather
His screen name here must be KitKat...
10-11-2013 09:00 AM
Bang Burger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Victory
I think 1 or 2 of the new Bowl games with MAC tie-ins, are being officially announced today.
10-11-2013 09:04 AM
Advertisement

BobL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
Ken Mather ‏@KenMather_MAC 5m
Boca Raton Bowl announcement is the start of a series of bowl announcements over the next several weeks. #MACtion

Ken Mather ‏@KenMather_MAC 5m
MAC will play Conference USA in 2014 & the American Athletic Conference in 2015 in the Boca Raton Bowl. #MACtion

Ken Mather ‏@KenMather_MAC 6m
Boca Raton Bowl will be played at FAU Stadium, which seats nearly 30,000 on the campus of Florida Atlantic University. #MACtion

Ken Mather ‏@KenMather_MAC 6m
Boca Raton Bowl will be a pre-Christmas bowl game, owned and operated by ESPN. #MACtion http://www.mac-sports.com/tabid/969/Arti...-Bowl.aspx

Ken Mather ‏@KenMather_MAC 7m
MAC announces the creation of the Boca Raton Bowl, a newly created bowl game in Boca Raton, Fla. for a six-years (2014-2019). #MACtion
10-11-2013 10:14 AM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
Nothing better than the Rat Mouth Bowl
10-11-2013 03:00 PM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(10-11-2013 03:00 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  Nothing better than the Rat Mouth Bowl

LOL! Funny how people think its so exotic "Boca Raton", until you tell them what it actually means once translated.
10-11-2013 03:06 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(10-11-2013 08:39 AM)cmufanatic Wrote:  "Exciting MAC football news coming in about 90 minutes! Momentum for MAC football keeps increasing"

UB Athletics has numbed me to "Exciting News" tweets
10-11-2013 03:06 PM
Advertisement

exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
As much as we like to hate on ESPN, having them as the owner of the game is a good thing for the future viability of the bowl game.
10-11-2013 03:07 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(10-11-2013 10:14 AM)BobL Wrote:  Ken Mather ‏@KenMather_MAC 5m
Boca Raton Bowl announcement is the start of a series of bowl announcements over the next several weeks. #MACtion

Steinbrecher says the Boca Raton announcement is a 1st in what is going to be 4 announcements for the conference.

I expect the other announcements will be Bahamas, Marlins and the two backup agreements.

MAC bowls for the next 6 seasons should be decided by the end of the month. Its an important milestone for the MAC's future to have 5 guaranteed bowl games.

Other items we still need to hear about:

1) Improved TV Deal: I agree locking down the bowl games comes first because that dictates your conference stature to outsiders. The MAC though really needs to get something locked down for more money and for more years than the 3 that are yet remaining. My sense is there could already be an agreement to stay with ESPN in principal and the MAC is waiting until the conclusion of the football season to announce something.

2) Future NCAA governance structure. The direction they want to go with an FBS divsion governing itself is pretty clear at this point. It will be a while yet until the new structure is formally approved, perhaps as late as April and its set to come into effect in August of next year. Voting on stipends may take an entire year beyond that time frame.

3) What to do about UMass? The outcome here may be tied to a new TV deal with ESPN paying out the 1 million per school estimate. The MAC could invoke an all sports or out ultimatum with UMass and if they want to be part of the new TV deal. There could be some movement in pushing things back to 12 however since the MAC now has 5 guaranteed bowl games the conference might feel more confident going to 14. James Madison from a facilities and budget perspective is the candidate most ready for MAC membership.

If the scenario plays out that the MAC ends up with a TV deal in the same value range of the AAC and that UMass flounders its very possible that UMass is around for the long haul. Also the future direction of the AAC may be completely southern like what happened with CUSA, increasingly making that conference an unattractive place to move. I kind of feel like the idea of UMass joining the AAC is still very hypothetical and requires UConn leaving and/or better performance out of UMass (neither of which may occur for a long time). Steinbrecher has probably pitched UMass to the TV partners of the ESPN owned bowl games so I doubt that league membership would cut them.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2013 04:19 PM by Kittonhead.)
10-11-2013 04:13 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(10-11-2013 03:07 PM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  As much as we like to hate on ESPN, having them as the owner of the game is a good thing for the future viability of the bowl game.

I'm not high on the Camelia Bowl but I'm sure in the next cycle once CUSA becomes more established they will probably want it to have a 6th bowl game.

I guess its possible there is an 8 team playoff for 2020 and an expansion of the CFP lineup with Holiday and Capital One games down the road which could change the bowl math some. Also a 14 team B12 would be desiring additional games, IMO.
10-11-2013 04:17 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(10-11-2013 03:06 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(10-11-2013 03:00 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  Nothing better than the Rat Mouth Bowl

LOL! Funny how people think its so exotic "Boca Raton", until you tell them what it actually means once translated.

And once you explain it refers to the strong current in the Boca Inlet then it makes total sense.
10-11-2013 05:11 PM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
No, Rat Mouth sounds much better.
10-12-2013 09:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.