Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NFL in London
EPJr Offline
All American

I Root For: VCU, MLS, USMNT
NFL in London
NFL adds third London game in 2014 regular season
[Image: nfl_london_redraw.jpg]

The NFL announced Tuesday that a third regular-season game will be added to the London schedule for the 2014 season.

The Jacksonville Jaguars, Atlanta Falcons and Oakland Raiders each will play one home game at Wembley Stadium next year.

It's no coincidence that all three franchises are dissatisfied with their current stadium situations. The dates of the games and opponents for each club will be announced later this season.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell pointed to the increased popularity of the International Series as the reason for the addition of a third game.

"Our fans in the UK have continued to demonstrate that they love football and want more," Goodell said. "Both of this year's games in London sold out quickly. The fan enthusiasm for our sport continues to grow. By playing two games in the UK this year, we are creating more fans. We hope that with three games in London next year we will attract even more people to our game."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...lar-season
10-08-2013 06:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
RE: NFL in London
I'm sure the British are thrilled about seeing the Jags
10-08-2013 07:07 PM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
This is ridiculous.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4
10-08-2013 07:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Quote:It's no coincidence that all three franchises are dissatisfied with their current stadium situations.

Uhhh, the Falcons will have a billion dollar nest in 2017.
10-08-2013 08:25 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I just don't get why they're not testing Berlin. While there is little interest in American football in Germany, there is a hell of a lot more interest in Berlin than there is London....
10-08-2013 08:44 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
IF these games are doing so well then why did NFLE fail? Even with the holdovers from the WLAF.
10-08-2013 09:21 PM
Advertisement

EPJr Offline
All American

I Root For: VCU, MLS, USMNT
(10-08-2013 07:07 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  I'm sure the British are thrilled about seeing the Jags

It's payback for them sending Crystal Palace over here
10-08-2013 09:36 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
The NFL wants a franchise in London.

(10-08-2013 09:21 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  IF these games are doing so well then why did NFLE fail? Even with the holdovers from the WLAF.

For the same reason the CFL isn't popular here and the XFL wasn't popular here and the NBA-DL isnt' popular here. It's second rate talent with no big time players.
10-09-2013 12:34 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(10-09-2013 12:34 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The NFL wants a franchise in London.

(10-08-2013 09:21 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  IF these games are doing so well then why did NFLE fail? Even with the holdovers from the WLAF.
It's second rate talent

kinda like college sports? zing!
10-09-2013 12:48 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(10-09-2013 12:34 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The NFL wants a franchise in London.

For the same reason the CFL isn't popular here and the XFL wasn't popular here and the NBA-DL isnt' popular here. It's second rate talent with no big time players.

USFL had far from inferior talent....

On the CFL, not sure I'd go second rate talent but I would say marketing and promotion for Pro Football that is "out of season" could use some work if they really wanted it to work. Granted their North American expansion in the early 90s fell apart on them mostly for being too fast and not having good ownership groups to stick with it.
10-09-2013 12:58 AM

(10-09-2013 12:48 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(10-09-2013 12:34 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  It's second rate talent

It's first rate talent on the way up. College sports also serves countless markets the NFL does not. College sports has traditions and heritage that is far stronger than anything in any other sport. There isn't a pro football stadium that can compare to the 55,000 at Autzen or the 110,000 at Neyland. There isn't any NBA arena that can compare to Cameron Indoor or the Smith Spectrum or Allen Fieldhouse or Hinkle Fieldhouse. Pro events feel like a disconnected morgue compared to many intimate rocking collegiate venues.
10-09-2013 01:02 AM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(10-09-2013 01:02 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(10-09-2013 12:48 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(10-09-2013 12:34 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  It's second rate talent

It's first rate talent on the way up. College sports also serves countless markets the NFL does not. College sports has traditions and heritage that is far stronger than anything in any other sport. There isn't a pro football stadium that can compare to the 55,000 at Autzen or the 110,000 at Neyland. There isn't any NBA arena that can compare to Cameron Indoor or the Smith Spectrum or Allen Fieldhouse or Hinkle Fieldhouse. Pro events feel like a disconnected morgue compared to many intimate rocking collegiate venues.

GT football is first rate talent? I'm thinking probably not.

We had season tickets to Duke basketball for one season and while it was amazing, I think seeing a game at Chesapeake Energy Arena (OKC Thunder) is just as awesome. The playoffs there were insane. Of course I hate watching all sports in person, I'd much rather watch at home, so what do i know.

All i know is there's nothing worse than watching most college basketball teams. A veritable smörgåsbord of 50 point games and zero offensive flow. I honestly don't know how a basketball fan can watch it. College football's worse and college baseball is worse than that. The latter is basically unwatchable
10-09-2013 02:37 AM

(10-09-2013 02:37 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  GT football is first rate talent? I'm thinking probably not.

We had season tickets to Duke basketball for one season and while it was amazing, I think seeing a game at Chesapeake Energy Arena (OKC Thunder) is just as awesome. The playoffs there were insane. Of course I hate watching all sports in person, I'd much rather watch at home, so what do i know.

All i know is there's nothing worse than watching most college basketball teams. A veritable smörgåsbord of 50 point games and zero offensive flow. I honestly don't know how a basketball fan can watch it. College football's worse and college baseball is worse than that. The latter is basically unwatchable

[Image: t1cjohnson2usptd9.jpg]

I prefer collegiate baseball to pro baseball. I flat out do not and have never watched NBA, but I do watch SOME college basketball. I watch ALL college football. I prefer games in the MAC and Sun Belt and FCS before the NFL.
10-09-2013 08:29 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(10-09-2013 08:29 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(10-09-2013 02:37 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  GT football is first rate talent? I'm thinking probably not.

[Image: t1cjohnson2usptd9.jpg]

i knew you were gonna go there. That was 7 years ago. Got any recent pics?
10-09-2013 11:06 AM

(10-09-2013 11:06 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  i knew you were gonna go there. That was 7 years ago. Got any recent pics?

[Image: 101113_JDW_Miami-GT_1089.jpg]

[Image: 3931240589_13f165c450.jpg]

[Image: 3894316177_8257c32510_o.jpg]

Coming soon to a draft near you:

[Image: 537392_10100405032079389_1256492585_n.0_..._352.0.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2013 11:27 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
10-09-2013 11:24 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
I know Stephen hill and I assume the last one is derrick Morgan, but who's the 2nd guy? my overall point is, the bulk of the players you're watching will never even be drafted. would you rather watch the top talent or a few top talents mixed in with a bunch of low level guys? for instance if you watch Syracuse vs Ohio state in basketball and you're not a fan of either team, you're gonna be bored because it isn't anywhere near high quality basketball. Hell, Syracuse is a top program, but who was the last great nba player from there?
10-09-2013 03:15 PM
Advertisement

(10-09-2013 03:15 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  I know Stephen hill and I assume the last one is derrick Morgan, but who's the 2nd guy? my overall point is, the bulk of the players you're watching will never even be drafted. would you rather watch the top talent or a few top talents mixed in with a bunch of low level guys? for instance if you watch Syracuse vs Ohio state in basketball and you're not a fan of either team, you're gonna be bored because it isn't anywhere near high quality basketball. Hell, Syracuse is a top program, but who was the last great nba player from there?

Demaryius Thomas.

And even some of those players the NFL won't touch can be fantastic to watch. Joe Hamilton was never given a shot in the NFL. He was amazing to watch in college. Tim Tebow should have never been given a shot in the NFL. He was amazing to watch in college.

Regarding Cuse, and again I don't follow basketball outside of GT nearly as much, Melo is the last one that springs to mind.
10-09-2013 05:06 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
NFL in London
Given the time zone difference, would CBS or Fox have interest in a 10:00 AM Eastern kickoff? A London team could never be shown on Thursday Night Football, Sunday Night Football, or Monday Night Football, as the game would kick off after Midnight across the pond.
10-12-2013 06:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
This is an interesting thread.

If the NFL could convince a team to move to London, there would be a team in a market to match New York. Chicago, San Francisco, etc...

Let's say this is the movement, then we could see other teams move.

Say, Jacksonville to London, Buffalo to Toronto, Saint Louis to Los Angeles, and Oakland to Mexico City.

Could this type of movement be the future trend?

Concerning a team in London- the team could have a training camp in the United States. Let's say the season starts away at Seattle, away at Dallas and home in London- the team could stay in the United States at a camp for the first two weeks and travel 'home' for the first home game.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 01:01 PM by chess.)
10-18-2013 12:59 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(10-18-2013 12:59 PM)chess Wrote:  This is an interesting thread.

If the NFL could convince a team to move to London, there would be a team in a market to match New York. Chicago, San Francisco, etc...

Let's say this is the movement, then we could see other teams move.

Say, Jacksonville to London, Buffalo to Toronto, Saint Louis to Los Angeles, and Oakland to Mexico City.

Could this type of movement be the future trend?

Concerning a team in London- the team could have a training camp in the United States. Let's say the season starts away at Seattle, away at Dallas and home in London- the team could stay in the United States at a camp for the first two weeks and travel 'home' for the first home game.

curious, what are the income tax brackets in Britain?
10-18-2013 02:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.