Open TigerLinks

Internet
Bookmark and Share
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
Internet
So we moved the other day, only to discover that, while the previous owner's had Comcast internet and cable, we couldn't have it because our house is more than 300 feet from the box. A relay has to be installed. The signal strength was fine, the previous owner had no issues, but this is 'policy.' So who knows when they will get around to doing the work, and in the meantime it's finding a hotspot (in Oakland!) and over the air TV.

Talk about living primitive!
10-05-2013 02:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS
RE: Internet
Welcome back to the good old days.
10-05-2013 03:09 PM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
[Image: e102.jpg]
10-05-2013 03:16 PM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Yikes....
10-05-2013 03:28 PM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

(10-05-2013 03:16 PM)georgiatiger Wrote:  [Image: e102.jpg]

Oliver is calling Hank Agent, the Kimball County, or is it, Hank County the Kimball agent, ah hell I can't remember. Good call on that one GT. I always thought that show was corny, but funny as hell.
10-05-2013 09:17 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
I live happily without tv in my home, but the thought of no internet for an hour makes my knees weak. How addicted is that?!!
10-05-2013 10:38 PM
Advertisement

uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
Y'all finally made it out there? The process if over!
10-05-2013 10:54 PM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
(10-05-2013 02:56 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  So we moved the other day, only to discover that, while the previous owner's had Comcast internet and cable, we couldn't have it because our house is more than 300 feet from the box. A relay has to be installed. The signal strength was fine, the previous owner had no issues, but this is 'policy.' So who knows when they will get around to doing the work, and in the meantime it's finding a hotspot (in Oakland!) and over the air TV.

That makes no sense. If the previous owners had internet, why can't you? It's not like the house up and moved...
10-06-2013 10:09 AM
Redbanksdog Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(10-06-2013 10:09 AM)mapdude Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 02:56 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  So we moved the other day, only to discover that, while the previous owner's had Comcast internet and cable, we couldn't have it because our house is more than 300 feet from the box. A relay has to be installed. The signal strength was fine, the previous owner had no issues, but this is 'policy.' So who knows when they will get around to doing the work, and in the meantime it's finding a hotspot (in Oakland!) and over the air TV.

That makes no sense. If the previous owners had internet, why can't you? It's not like the house up and moved...

That's what I was thinking. 01-wingedeagle
10-06-2013 10:38 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(10-06-2013 10:38 AM)Redbanksdog Wrote:  
(10-06-2013 10:09 AM)mapdude Wrote:  

That's what I was thinking. 01-wingedeagle

It's Comcast, it's not supposed to make sense. And Satellite Internet does not appear to be an option either, it's very expensive and the service has awful reviews. HughestNet is the biggest satellite provider but if you look up BBB reviews they have nearly 3000 complaints in the last year. (Plus an A+ rating, but that's why I don't believe in the BBB; if you're a member you practically have to be a serial killer to get a bad rating.) Their nearest competitor, Exede, isn't any better. So for a while it's hotspots when I can.
10-06-2013 02:08 PM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

I've always said, who the hell watches over the BBB. Sort of like who watches over the NCAA.
10-06-2013 03:22 PM
Advertisement

SayWhat? Offline
All American

I Root For: CIVILITY & UofM

Of course it might be you will need to consider just using AT&T for internet and video service. If you don't want to pay for regular phone service, request "no ring phone service" for minimal charge as compared to regular phone service.

If the cable is already installed then a line amp is all that is needed as I am sure your are aware. A relay would be for the return signal to Comcast. This link shows the signal amplifier is that is needed if the signal has dropped below acceptable levels in most cases. You would either need a forward gain or a by-pass gain amp.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl...er=182-570

*Forward gain cable amplifiers can by used in a variety of different situations, from compensating for lower signal strength from your cable provider, raising the strength of the signal from your cable provider, or increasing the signal before multiple line are connected. The forward gain amplifier works in providing an increased signal level into your home on the upstream band of 54-1000 MHz, and still allowing the 5-42MHz return band to be passed on back to the cable provider with little or no loss in signal level. Things to look for when purchasing a forward gain amplifier are, Low noise of 3 dB or lower, low distortion and excellent return loss which should be about 20 dB.

*Bypass cable amplifiers work in the same way as forward gain amplifiers to increase the signal level on the 54-1000 MHz band for high speed internet, interactive television and telephony services, and still allowing the 5-42MHz return band to be passed on back to the cable provider with little or no loss in signal level. The difference from the forward gain amplifier is that the bypass amplifier has a built in relay switch designed to bypass the amplification circuitry to bypass mode and provide constant uninterrupted telephony service in the event of a power outage.

Look at the incoming cable and check to see if it is RG-6 quad shielded. If it is RG-59 it is not really capable of handling the bandwidth for high speed internet or HDTV when the cable has to be that long from the pole/box. *Any RG-59 inside the house would also need to be upgraded to RG-6 quad shield.

When it is that long of a run from the pole/box it could require RG-11 quad shield. Much thicker cable as well as more expensive.
Usually used in commercial installations and office buildings where utmost signal quality is demanded, or for very long runs.

I bet when the cable was installed in the home that they overlooked the distance and depending when it was installed it very well could be RG-59 regular cable, not even quad shielded. Probably copper coated steel center conductor also, not all copper. Cheapest crap available.
That is what most used from the pole to the house.

I assume the area distribution feed on the pole is fiber optic. With that I bet Comcast would now want to install RG-6 quad shield or maybe even RG-11 quad shield since the run is over a 300 foot run. For that they would nail you because they probably have to special order RG-11.

Coax Cable Signal (Attenuation) Loss per 100ft. Sorry but the alignment of the numbers won't space right when I hit post, but you can go to this link if you need more cable,internet/video info.
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/cabletech?text=1

RG-59 RG-6 RG-11
1MHz 0.4dB 0.2dB 0.2dB
10MHz 1.4dB 0.6dB 0.4dB
50MHz 3.3dB 1.4dB 1.0dB
100MHz 4.9dB 2.0dB 1.6dB
200MHz 7.3dB 2.8dB 2.3 dB
400MHz 11.2dB 4.3dB 3.5dB
700MHz 16.9dB 5.6dB 4.7dB
900MHz 20.1dB 6.0dB 5.4dB
1000MHZ 21.5dB 6.1dB 5.6dB
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 06:44 PM by SayWhat?.)
10-06-2013 06:34 PM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

Bill weren't you the one so proud to tell us in every post you were moving from Memphis?

Welcome to your little slice of heaven in Oakland
10-07-2013 01:48 PM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

This sounds like the time when I was having trouble with my cable in Cordova. I had 5 sets on Time Warner, as they were called at that time. Guy shows up, says how many sets do you have. I told him 5. He said, you can't have 5 without an amplifier. I walked him upstairs and showed him the two sets, back downstairs showed him the three sets.
He told me it was impossible to have 5 without an amplifier. I asked him if he wanted to go back upstairs and count them all again. He still told me that it was impossible. Hey the satellite folks aren't much better. I've had both Direct and Dish. They are both just average. I have not had U-Verse. I hear good and bad things about them also. There are very few companies that give customer service anymore. Very few.
10-07-2013 02:33 PM
kpigout Offline
cyber-bbq king

Crappies
(10-07-2013 02:33 PM)KRB Wrote:  This sounds like the time when I was having trouble with my cable in Cordova. I had 5 sets on Time Warner, as they were called at that time. Guy shows up, says how many sets do you have. I told him 5. He said, you can't have 5 without an amplifier. I walked him upstairs and showed him the two sets, back downstairs showed him the three sets.
He told me it was impossible to have 5 without an amplifier. I asked him if he wanted to go back upstairs and count them all again. He still told me that it was impossible.
Hey the satellite folks aren't much better. I've had both Direct and Dish. They are both just average. I have not had U-Verse. I hear good and bad things about them also. There are very few companies that give customer service anymore. Very few.

Sounds like a TA&M grad that was working one of my construction jobs years ago right after I moved to San Antonio.

I was putting iron in and getting ready for a pour on a building I was working on. Had a 5 foot long beam with #4 rebar hooks on 6" centers. Blueprints called for 15 on 6" centers. I put them on, but only 11 fit at 6". He comes and inspects the beam, and tells me I needed 15 hooks. Told him I could add them in between the existing hooks. He said no, they had to be on 6" centers. I pointed out that the beam was only 5' long and at 6" centers, only 11 would fit since the beam was only 5' long. I said I could either put 11 at 6 inches, or all 15, doubling up some or putting them in between the 11 I already had there. He told me No, I had to put all 15 at 6" centers. I again said I could double up 4 of them to get to 15. He said no, I had to put 15 at 6" centers,no doubling and nothing in between.

I told him how about I kick your as$ and throw you off the side of the building?

He left, and the foreman came over. Took one look and sid it was fine.
10-07-2013 10:34 PM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
(10-07-2013 10:34 PM)kpigout Wrote:  
(10-07-2013 02:33 PM)KRB Wrote:  This sounds like the time when I was having trouble with my cable in Cordova. I had 5 sets on Time Warner, as they were called at that time. Guy shows up, says how many sets do you have. I told him 5. He said, you can't have 5 without an amplifier. I walked him upstairs and showed him the two sets, back downstairs showed him the three sets.
He told me it was impossible to have 5 without an amplifier. I asked him if he wanted to go back upstairs and count them all again. He still told me that it was impossible.
Hey the satellite folks aren't much better. I've had both Direct and Dish. They are both just average. I have not had U-Verse. I hear good and bad things about them also. There are very few companies that give customer service anymore. Very few.

Sounds like a TA&M grad that was working one of my construction jobs years ago right after I moved to San Antonio.

I was putting iron in and getting ready for a pour on a building I was working on. Had a 5 foot long beam with #4 rebar hooks on 6" centers. Blueprints called for 15 on 6" centers. I put them on, but only 11 fit at 6". He comes and inspects the beam, and tells me I needed 15 hooks. Told him I could add them in between the existing hooks. He said no, they had to be on 6" centers. I pointed out that the beam was only 5' long and at 6" centers, only 11 would fit since the beam was only 5' long. I said I could either put 11 at 6 inches, or all 15, doubling up some or putting them in between the 11 I already had there. He told me No, I had to put all 15 at 6" centers. I again said I could double up 4 of them to get to 15. He said no, I had to put 15 at 6" centers,no doubling and nothing in between.

I told him how about I kick your as$ and throw you off the side of the building?

He left, and the foreman came over. Took one look and sid it was fine.

LoL
10-08-2013 06:51 AM
Advertisement

TigerRichard Offline
Special Teams

This reminds me of a time when a lady walks into an ice cream store. One of those 31 flavors type stores.

She goes up to the counter and says I would like a gallon of vanilla. The guy politely says I’m sorry but we are out of vanilla. Please chose something else and she says OK.

A few minutes pass and the lady tells the guy behind the counter I am ready to order. The guys say, great what may I serve you. She said "I would like a half gallon of vanilla".

The guy politely says I’m sorry lady but we are out of vanilla please chose something else.

Time passes and she approaches the counter and says I’m ready to order and the guy asks what may serve you? She said, I would like two scoops of vanilla.

Then the guy behind the counter said lady may I ask you a few questions and she said sure.

The guy asked can you spell the “choc” in chocolate? And she said sure” c h o c”

Now can you spell the” straw” in strawberry and the lady said sure “s t r a w”

Then the guy asked can you spell the “ f**K “in vanilla.

The lady gasped and said “THERE IS NO F**K IN VANILLA” and the guy behind the counter said lady that’s what I have been trying to tell you there is no “f**k ‘n vanilla!!!!”
10-08-2013 02:16 PM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

Good one Richard. I had another great one with the Cable Vision people as they were called then I think. Knock at the door. Man with a tool belt, identified himself as a Cable Vision employee. I had called them because my cable was out. This was during March Madness.
The guy says, "I'm here to cut your cable off." I said you can't cut off what isn't on." He goes into the back yard, climbs this telephone pole. And he says, "You are right sir, it's not on." I said well cut it back on then. He said, "I will have to call my boss." He has one of those phones that you hook into something on the pole. I have no idea what.
I stood at the bottom of the pole, and I told him he was not coming down until I saw basketball on my Tv. He called his boss, and said, "Sir, I have this mean assed white man who won't let me down from the pole, until he sees basketball."
Apparently the guy told him to cut it back on. I had been a cable subscriber since I had lived in Midtown, back when you could only get it in just a few blocks. I made a call and let them have it. I'm pretty sure that they didn't really care that much.
10-08-2013 02:54 PM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
(10-08-2013 02:54 PM)KRB Wrote:  Good one Richard. I had another great one with the Cable Vision people as they were called then I think. Knock at the door. Man with a tool belt, identified himself as a Cable Vision employee. I had called them because my cable was out. This was during March Madness.
The guy says, "I'm here to cut your cable off." I said you can't cut off what isn't on." He goes into the back yard, climbs this telephone pole. And he says, "You are right sir, it's not on." I said well cut it back on then. He said, "I will have to call my boss." He has one of those phones that you hook into something on the pole. I have no idea what.
I stood at the bottom of the pole, and I told him he was not coming down until I saw basketball on my Tv. He called his boss, and said, "Sir, I have this mean assed white man who won't let me down from the pole, until he sees basketball."
Apparently the guy told him to cut it back on. I had been a cable subscriber since I had lived in Midtown, back when you could only get it in just a few blocks. I made a call and let them have it. I'm pretty sure that they didn't really care that much.

It's called a lineman's handset.
10-08-2013 03:20 PM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

Yeah a linemans handset. Do they have one for Running backs too?
10-08-2013 03:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.